What's going on, everybody? For TV Tropes, I'm Sean Evans, and you're reading about Hot Ones. It's the show with hot questions and even hotter wings!
Running on YouTube since 2014, Hot Ones is one of your more unique celebrity interview shows. Guests are offered a succession of ten increasingly-spicy wings, and they have to answer each question to the best of their ability as their mouths light up. Some cry, some have to take a lap, a few have puked (off-camera, thank goodness), and at least one had an accident. Most take advantage of the lack of censorship. But most make it through, lest they join the likes of Ricky Gervais and DJ Khaled in the Hall of Shame.
Sean Evans has been the resident Dungeon Master since the show's inception, dabbing and suffering along with the guests. The channel hit a million subscribers in 2017, which it celebrated by inviting superfan Brett Baker to grill Sean. Sean also appears in other videos for First We Feast and their parent site, Complex. Peppers, however, are never too far behind him...
- Ascended Fanboy: The legendary Brett Baker, creator of the Hot Ones Power Rankings and the subject of a magnificent serenade by Russell Brand, interviewed Sean to celebrate Hot Ones reaching one million subscribers.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: The whole point of the show.
- Bring My Brown Pants: As mentioned above, Bobby Lee had a little...accident. The look on Sean's face as he realizes that is absolute gold.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Eric Andre was a whole new level of crazy, smashing bottles and pitchers over his head and dropping Breathless Non Sequiturs left and right.
- Russell Brand as well, because of course.
- Corpsing: Sean absolutely loses it when Eddie Huang realizes that going in reverse order is a terrible idea.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Naturally with Gordon Ramsay in the Season 8 premier.
- Crazy-Prepared: Gordon Ramsay having everything from Pepto Bismol, donuts, and lemon and lime juice to fight off the burn.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Terry Crews declares that he and Sean are friends forever after making it through the ordeal of all ten wings.
- Freak Out!: Most guests have one as the sauces get spicier.
- Hidden Depths: More often than not Sean asks very well-researched and very in-depth questions about his guests, which can often take them by surprise, considering the show's format. Often they expect to be asked softball questions, believing the real appeal of the show is to see them in pain. When in fact the appeal of the show is them being forced to actually give well-thought-out answers while in pain.
- Oh, Crap!: Besides reacting this way to the different sauces, this is also the usual reaction as Sean shakes up the last bottle before telling them about the last dab.Andy Cohen: (as Sean shakes the bottle) What are you doing? Why are you doing that?
- Steve Austin had an "Oh, Crap!" moment and had to call a break when he realized the hot sauce was driving his heart rate through the roof.
- Once per Episode:
- The opening tag
- "Now, the first one's Sriracha. Sriracha's no big deal." (At least until it was phased out as the easiest sauce at the start of season 4)
- Dirty Dick's - very aggressive brand name.
- Explain that 'Gram (and, usually, "Laptop, please!")
- Adding an extra dab of the hottest sauce to the final wing, described by Sean as "tradition." Although Sean says they don't have to, most guests buckle and do it.
- Sean shaking the bottle of said sauce before the last dab.
- "This camera, this camera, or this camera - let the people know what you've got going on in your life!"
- Screaming Warrior: Terry Crews screams at the top of his lungs to psyche himself up and work through the pain as he gets through the last few wings.
- The Stoic: There have been several guests who've made it through without (or at least barely) breaking a sweat. Alton Brown even went so far as to casually critique the sauces. (He is also the only guest to have opted for half-and-half instead of milk to tame the heat.)
- The Stoner: Many have joined Sean at the table. Some are pros, others...less so.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Eddie Huang ends up getting too cocky and tries to eat the hottest wing first. The end result was him excusing himself to the restroom and retching. Cut to ten minutes later, when he admitted to throwing up... among other things.