He cried the whole way home
Nobody remembered a thing when they saw him again
That's how it is 'til the end"
Tame Impala are a five piece Psychedelic Rock band from Perth, Western Australia. Originally beginning as Kevin Parker's solo recording project in 2007, Tame Impala signed a deal with Modular Records, with the band now adding Dominic Simper (then) on bass and Jay Watson (then) on drums. The group then expanded, including Nick Allbrook on bass (Simper started playing guitar post-2009) and Julien Barbagallo on drums (Watson started playing synth in 2011). In 2013, Nick Allbrook left the band to pursuit personal endeavours, and was replaced by Cam Avery of Pond.
The release of their first EP helped them build up credibility amongst the Perth music scene, but their 2010 debut album Innerspeaker and the 2012 followup Lonerism helped cement a global reputation and fanbase; some even going as far as proclaiming them as currently the best band in the world. From 2009 onwards, their works have been consistently nominated for awards and helped expose Perth's psychedelic scene to the world. Tame Impala, however, remains the most well-known band of the scene by volumes.
After Parker's perfectionism had the album delayed by two months, the group's next album, Currents, was released on July 17, 2015, to a critical acclaim. The electronica-influenced album received a 9.3/10 from Pitchfork, with reviewer Ian Cohen comparing it to Loveless, Kid A and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in terms of musical creativity. Fans were initially more divided, but as time went on the album began to receive more praise. Commercially, Currents quickly became Tame Impala's most successful album by far, debuting at number 1 in Australia, number 3 in the UK and number 4 in the US.
- Innerspeaker (2010)
- Lonerism (2012)
- Currents (2015)
- The Slow Rush (2020)
Tame Impala provide examples of:
- Epic Rocking:
- Innerspeaker: 'It Isn't Meant To Be', 'Jeremy's Storm', 'Expectation', 'Runway, Houses, City, Clouds'
- Lonerism: 'Apocalypse Dreams', 'Music To Walk Home By', 'Keep On Lying', 'Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control', 'Sun's Coming Up'
- Currents: 'Let It Happen', especially with the instrumental section that starts with what sounds like the track skipping.
- The Slow Rush: 'Posthumous Forgiveness', 'Breathe Deeper', 'One More Hour'
- Gratuitous French: 'Endors Toi'. Lonerism was recorded in Paris, after all.
- Hope Spot: 'Mind Mischief':She remembers my nameIt's all going to changeShe remembers my name
- I Am the Band: All instruments are recorded by Kevin Parker (apart from keyboard or drum work from Jay Watson on very rare occasions), the other members are touring members.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: 'Why Won't They Talk To Me?'
- I'm a Man; I Can't Help It: ''Cause I'm A Man'
- Miniscule Rocking: 'She Just Won't Believe Me' is just 57 seconds.
- New Sound Album: Although only four albums have been released so far, this trope does come into play. Innerspeaker was reminiscent of 60's psychadelica and is the more rock-driven album, Lonerism featured a psych-pop sound, and Currents borrowed from dance, electronica and disco.
- Overly Long Name: 'Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control'
- Retro Universe: Primarily for the The '60s and abit The '70s.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Well, he feels like an elephant, shaking is big grey trunk for the hell of it...
- Stalker with a Crush: Slightly implied with 'Mind Mischief'
- Status Quo Is God: 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards'
- Survival Mantra: 'Be Above It' has "Gotta be above it" repeated throughout the whole song
- The Friend Nobody Likes:
- The bridge in 'Why Won't They Talk To Me?' states that the guy featured in the song regarded his friends as vain and didn't bother listening to any of them. He's still sad about being alone.
- Also stated in 'Elephant'.
- This Loser Is You: Very common element of their lyrics.
- Title-Only Chorus: 'Why Won't They Talk To Me?'
- Vocal Evolution: In a matter of two years: listening to Innerspeaker after listening to 'Half Full Glass Of Wine' can be a bit weird.
- Your Cheating Heart: 'Half Full Glass Of Wine' and 'The Less I Know the Better'