Described as an "internationally ignored Psych-pop-folk-glam baroque'n'roll ensemble," Skeleton Staff is an Australian band that lives in a comic strip. The band consists of Stanton (lead guitar/lead vocalist), Godfrey (bass guitar/vocalist), Lucy (keyboards), and Festus (percussion).
- Solipsism (2010)
- Psychomorphism (2011)
- Kurfürstendammed (2016)
Tropes related to their work:
- Bait-and-Switch: One comic strip has Stanton telling Godfrey and Festus that Lucy asked him to take off her top and skirt...and then she kicked him out of her room and told him to never try her clothes on again.
- Beatnik: Godfrey.
- Cover Version: They've posted a few covers on their YouTube page. Examples include:
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Stanton. One comic strip has a bodyguard mistake him for a woman, and in the video for "Art Girl," the titular girl Godfrey finally musters up the courage to talk to turns out to be Stanton in a wig and a skirt. Then they both see an actual art girl walk by, and are immediately smitten.
- Gold Digger: The subject of "I Told You I Was Poor" is a woman who spends all of the singer's money on stuff for herself, and then promptly dumps him once he's flat broke.
- Killer Robot: In the "I Told You I Was Poor" video, Festus plays the sheriff who intends to send Stanton, Lucy, and Godfrey to the guillotine.
- Non-Indicative Name: In a band named "Skeleton Staff", none of them are actually skeletons.
- Really Gets Around: Stanton. He's had a lot of different girlfriends...and he's been dumped a lot.
- Shout-Out: The band make some very Queen-esque poses in the "I Told You I Was Poor" video.
- Take Over the World: Apparently Festus wants to, as hinted in one strip.Man: Wouldn't you love to live in a world that was free of war, weapons and violence?
- What the Hell, Hero?: Stanton to Godfrey and Lucy at the end of the "I Told You I Was Poor" video. The latter two manage to escape into a nearby carriage...and leave Stanton stranded at the guillotine.