Rid of Me is PJ Harvey's second album, released in 1993. It marked a rawer and more aggressive sound than her debut Dry (1992). The record is best remembered for the singles "50 ft. Queenie" and "Man-Size".
The music videos for "50ft. Queenie" and "Man-Size" were once featured in an episode of Beavis And Butthead.
- "Rid of Me" (4:28)
- "Missed" (4:25)
- "Legs" (3:40)
- "Rub 'Til It Bleeds" (5:03)
- "Hook" (3:57)
- "Man-Size Sextet" (2:18)
- "Highway 61 Revisited" (2:57)
- "50ft. Queenie" (2:23)
- "Yuri-G" (3:28)
- "Man-Size" (3:16)
- "Dry" (3:23)
- "Me-Jane" (2:42)
- "Snake" (1:36)
- "Ecstasy" (4:26)
- A Cappella: The end of "Rid Of Me" ends with Rob Ellis just screaming out his lungs.
- Adam and Eve Plot: "Snake"You snake (You snake)I ate (I ate)A true (A true)Belief (Belief)Good Lord (Good Lord)That fruit's (That's fruit's)Inside (Inside)Of me (Of me)Oh Adam (Oh Ad-)Please (-am please)
- Added Alliterative Appeal: "Ecstasy"Hitting heavens high
- Anti-Love Song: "Legs"Did you sing "Oh happy day"?Singing itSing it that time I went away?Got to ease my aching headDo you knowNo other way cut off your legs ohHey oh
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: "50 Ft. Queenie"50ft queenieForce ten hurricaneBiggest womanI could have ten sonsTen gods ten queensTen foot and rising
- Broken Record: "Rid Of Me"Don't you, don't you wish you never never met herLick my legs, I'm on fireLick my legs of desire
- Careful with That Axe: P.J. really strained her vocals for this album.
- Classical Music: "Man-Size Sextet" has P.J. being backed by strings and a contra bass.
- Cover Version: The Bob Dylan cover "Highway 61 Revisited".
- Darker and Edgier: The album is more raw and aggressive than Dry. Similarly P.J.'s cover of "Highway 61 Revisited" is darker than Bob Dylan's light-hearted original.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The black-and-white album cover.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The stylish album cover, taken by Maria Mochnacz, taken in a dark bathroom.
- Double Entendre: "Snake"You snakeYou crawledBetweenMy legsSaid "WantIt all?It's yoursYou betI'll makeYou queenOf everythingNo needFor GodNo needFor himJust takeMy handYou'll beMy brideJust takeThat fruitPut itInside
- Expressive Hair: P.J.'s wet hair thrown upwards on the album cover.
- Face on the Cover: P.J. in a bathroom.
- Gag Penis: P.J. actually claims to have one on "50ft. Queenie":Ah come on measure me
I'm twenty inches long
- I Kiss Your Foot: "Rid Of Me"Lick my legs, I'm on fire!
- Intercourse with You: "Rub 'Til It Bleeds"I lie steadyRest your head on meI'll smooth it nicelyRub it better 'till it bleeds
- It's All About Me: "Ecstasy"Singing, I'm singing. Yah!Sounding hanging breatheI'm begging you look at me.Ecstasy. I'm in ec... ecstasyEcstasy
- Jump Scare: "Rid of Me" starts off creepy and quiet with some rather disturbing lyrics, and then slowly gets louder and then "DON'T YOU WISH YOU....NEVER....NEVER MET HER DON'T YOU!!!!!"
- Location Song: "Highway 61 Revisited", where Highway 61 is the solution to everything.
- Misandry Song:
Glory, gloryLay it all on me50ft queenie50 and risingYou bend overCasanovaNo sweat I'm cleanNothing can touch me
- "50 ft. Queenie"
Got my girl and she's a wowI cast my iron knickers downMan-sized no need to shoutCan you hear, can you hear me now?I'm man-sizedMan-sizedI'll measure timeI'll measure heightI'll calculateMy birth rightGood Lord I'm bigI'm heading onMan-sizeGot my leather boots on
Oh damn your chest-beating, just you stop your screamingIt's splitting through my head and swinging from the ceilingMove it over, Tarzan, can't you see I'm bleeding?I've called you by your first name, good Lord it's me-Jane!
- Obsession Song:
I'll tie your legsKeep you against my chestOh, you're not rid of meYeah, you're not rid of meI'll make you lick my injuriesI'm gonna twist your head off, see
- "Rid Of Me"
- "Legs". Nothing says "I love you" like sawing someone's legs off to keep them from leaving you.
- One-Woman Song: "50 ft. Queenie".
- One-Word Title: "Missed", "Legs", "Hook", "Yuri-G", "Dry", "Snake" and "Ecstasy".
- Pep-Talk Song: "50 ft. Queenie"Hey I'm the king of the worldYou oughta hear my songYou come on and measure meI'm twenty inches long
- Record Producer: Steve Albini, except for the track "Man-Size Sextet".
- Refrain from Assuming: The song "Dry" is from this album, not Dry.
- Repurposed Pop Song: P.J. recorded a cover of "Highway 61 Revisited" before on the tribute album "Outlaw Blues Volume 2".
- Self-Backing Vocalist: During "Rid Of Me".
You bend over, Casanova
- The line "don't you wish you never met her" from "Rid Of Me" is a nod to a line from "Dirty Blue Gene" from Captain Beefheart's Doc at the Radar Station.
- "50 ft. Queenie" is inspired by the B-movie Attack of the 50-Foot Woman. It also namedrops Giacomo Casanova.
Move it over, Tarzan, can't you see I'm bleeding?I've called you by your first name, good Lord, it's me-Jane!
- "Me-Jane" references Tarzan a few times:
- "Yuri-G" is a shout-out to Yuri Gagarin.
- Siamese Twin Songs: "Man-Size" and "Man-Size Sextet" have the same lyrics, but different arrangements.
- Spelling Song: "50 Foot Queenie"Tell you my nameFU and CK
- Unrequited Love: "Dry", where P.J. is direct about her feelings about a man who tries to seduce her.You leave me dry.
- Woman Scorned: A major theme throughout the entire album.