Necronomidol, the ultra-dark idol unit, was founded in mid-2014 as an example of an alt-idol group that is Darker and Edgier even among other alternative idols, as opposed to the usual Idol Singer tropes. Their initial output consisted in a blend of traditional Japanese folk music and aesthetic with Black Metal; later on, they began to incorporate other metal genres and other styles such as Dark Wave and Synthwave, for a catchier sound that still mantains the general somber attitude. Their imagery is influenced by, other than the aforementioned Black Metal's visuals, the occult, Japanese and Western horror tropes and (as their name implies) the Cthulhu Mythos.
Interestingly enough, they're self-produced and the unit's founder and producer is an American man living in Japan, who, as a fan of both idols and horror, wanted to create an idol unit themed around the paranormal: by all accounts, he succeeded.
In late 2018 the management announced that Sari and Hina Yotsuyu will leave the group to pursue other activities, effective from January 2019.
Pictured members (L-R): Rei Imaizumi, Hina Yotsuyu, Risaki Kakizaki, Sari, Himari Tsukishiro.
- "Ikotsu Moufubuki" (2015)
- "Reikon Shoumetsu" (2015)
- "Etranger" (2015)
- "Exitium" (2015)
- Nemesis (2016)
- from chaos born (EP) (2016)
- Deathless (2017)
- Dawnslayer (EP) (2017)
- Strange Aeons (EP) (2018)
- VOIDHYMN (2018)
Their dark tropes:
- all lowercase letters: Some examples, like the "from chaos born" album or the song "puella tenebrarum".
- Animated Music Video: Combined with Retraux. Their video for SKULLS IN THE STARS is made to look like a NES-esque game where they are resurrected by some Eldritch Abomination to destroy some even worse creatures and prevent the apocalypse. As a fake video game, it has a slew of other tropes on its own.
- Bare Your Midriff: Risaki's usual attire.
- But Not Too Foreign: Inverted by their manager, who is American and speaks Japanese as a second language after living there for years.
- Dark Magical Girl: Taken quite literally at the end of the music video for "Strange Aeons".
- Deliberately Monochrome: Several of their early videos were shot in black & white for maximum bleakness.
- Early Installment Weirdness: As mentioned above, their early singles were much more influenced by Japanese culture, so their stage costumes were inspired by miko attire; they abandoned this later. Also, in their earliest appearances, Sari didn't always have her iconic green bob haircut.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Their aesthetic, taken Up to Eleven with Sari's white face paint. Interestingly, her makeup is not a reference to black metal's "corpse paint", since she was a shironuri ("white face") performer well before entering the group.
- Girlish Pigtails: Hina's trademark.
- Gorn: The professional illustrations on their album and singles sleeves were made by some of the most (in)famous masters of ero-guro art, such as Shintaro Kago, Waita Uziga and Toshio Maeda (of Urotsukidoji fame). Some may seem tame, but there are also more nasty variants.
- Gratuitous English: Used sparsely in their lyrics. In an amusing variant, the Animated Music Video mentioned above has the girls speaking Japanese, while the Lovecraftian abomination speaks in (almost) grammatically correct English.
- Halloween Cosplay: This post for Halloween 2017, featuring Risaki as Leatherface, Rei as Chucky, Sari as Sally (also a nice Punny Name!), Hina as Celestia and Himari as a Japanese ghost lady.
- It Is Pronounced Tro Pay: Is it Necronom-IDOL or Necronom-EE-dol?
- Lyrical Dissonance: For example, psychopomp. It sounds sweet and almost calming, but the lyrics are chilling. Bonus points for the video being shot in the actual "suicide forest", Aokigahara.
- Officially Shortened Title: Necroma.
- Only One Name: Sari is just Sari and always will be.
- Portmantitle: Necronomicon + Idol.
- Theme Naming: Several references to the Cthulhu Mythos, from their very name to songs titled "Abhoth", "Ithaqua" (names of creatures from the mythos), the "Strange Aeons" album and so on.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sari's green hair.