Nanako Konishi and her two best friends, Akane Nakazawa and Shino Murasaki, have all been in the same class since elementary school. After failing miserably at their college entrance exams, Nanako and Akane find themselves ichiroh - first-year students at a local prep school. Hardworking Nanako is determined to buckle down and study in order to do better at her exams next year, but this quickly proves to be a real challenge, especially when she learns that their new dorm doubles as a shrine and they find themselves put to work as miko.
Ichiroh! in a Seinen yonkoma by Mikage that follows the daily life of Nanako and Akane as they attempt to adjust to their hectic lives as modern Rōnin. The manga was serialized in Manga Time Kirara Carat and Manga Time Kirara Max from 2007 to 2010, with five volumes released. It’s currently licensed by Yen Press.
Ichiroh! contains examples of:
- Animal Motifs: Akane and cats. She's often seen wearing a Cat Smile and even her hair buns resemble cat ears.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Shino, who's sweet and helpful to Nanako alone and can be downright vicious ao everyone else.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Akane occasionally gets surprisingly good grades despite how little effort she puts in. Nanako is occasionally frustrated by this.
- The Caretaker: Nanako is seen as this for Akane.
- Childhood Friend: Nanako has been friends with Akane since elementary school. Shino likes to claim this status as well despite only having known her since middle school.
- Compressed Hair: Akane's hair is surprisingly long when let down.
- Cool Big Sis: Mayura tries to be this. Anko occasionally falls into this category.
- Cosplay Café: Mai works in one. Nanako gets a part-time job there as well.
- Gamer Chick: Akane, but also Anko and Baa-san who like to stay up late playing games with her.
- Genre Savvy: Akane, who frequently references what she would expect to happen in a manga. Also Anko and Baa-san, who intentionally try to lure Miko-loving Otaku to the shrine with various gimmicks.
- Girlish Pigtails: Anko occasionally wears these in an effort to look young.
- Incest-ant Admirer: Nanako's brother is blatantly in love with her, much to her disgust.
- Miko: They do work in a shrine, after all.
- Meido: The uniforms at Mai's job. Anko also briefly considers making the shrine maid-themed in order to attract more business.
- Older Than They Look: Mitsuba-sensei, who looks like a gradeschooler and knows it. She often uses it to her advantage.
- The Prankster: Wakaba is introduced as this, but she quickly falls out of it once it's revealed that she was only playing pranks on the shrine because she was jealous of the Miko there for hogging her father's attention.
- The Rival: Played for Laughs when Akane cheerfully declares that she'll be Mai's rival when she learns that Mai would like to be friends with her and Nanako. Kozue also later declares herself to be this despite Nanako and Akane having no interest in competing with her.
- Rōnin: Nanako and Akane are referred to as this.
- Ship Tease: Although nothing really explicit occurs aside from Shino's obsession with Nanako, there is some very blatant yuri subtext. Several characters even assume that Nanako and Akane are a couple despite Nanako's denials. Also, In Volume 5, there are mild hints about Kozue's crush on Akane as she becomes flustered with any mere thought of Akane. Shino sees this as an opportunity to possibly push Akane away from Nanako and supports Kozue to become closer to Akane.
- Shrinking Violet: Akane was this as a child.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Shino and Nanako's brother consider themselves rivals for Nanako's affection.
- Starving Student: Nanako is obsessed with saving money, partially because of this trope.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: In a flashback it's revealed that Akane was very bashful and sweet when she was young, prompting the other characters to bemoan the fact that she didn't stay that way.
- Yandere: Once again: SHINO. She once contemplated smothering a sick Akane to eliminate the competition for Nanako's attention. Played for Laughs, of course.