Sally always dreamed of finding the end of the rainbow so she could make a wish to the Leprechaun there, and then one day, her dream came true! All right, so it wasn't a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow, it was a fat, drunken rainbow pirate, but he did grant wishes. Being a Nice Girl, Sally wished for it to rain candy, so that all the children poorer than her could finally have their fill!
Except it turns out that a lollipop can do considerable damage when it hits a person after falling for several miles. The death toll is climbing. And then there's the fact that since it never rains water anymore, the whole world is literally drying out. A ruthless militia is taking over the town. People are now resorting to mass-cannibalism. And it turns out that you can get really tired of candy when it's the only thing there left to eat...
Never has there been a Sugar Apocalypse quite this literal!
This novella contains examples of the following tropes:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Timmy Taco's crush on Sally is as overpowering as it is unrequainted.
- Alliterative Name: Timmy Taco. Sally Sandwich.
- Apocalypse How: Class 6, Planetary Scale and Total Extinction.
- The Apunkalypse: Within a few weeks, the Earth has become an inhospitable wasteland and what remained of human civilization have become roaming gangs of bikers that pillage other survivors for their natural resources, often cannibalizing the other human survivors and wearing their skin as pelts.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Sally's wish... does ''not'' turn out the way that she intended. For that matter, Timmy Taco wishes for him and Sally to be married forever, but doesn't mention anything about Sally liking him, so now they're unhappily married forever. And since marriage lasts "until death do us part," neither of them can ever die!
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Sally's sister Jane thinks her entire family is painfully lame.She was at that age where everything was very serious. Her music, her relationships, her art, her views on the world. These things were all very important. They meant something. She didn't know what they meant, but they meant something deep, that was for sure.
- Break the Cutie: Sally gradually collapses under all the horror she sees, as well as her guilt at being the cause of it all.
- Creepy Doll: Sally's dolls talk to her and are her friends. As the apocalypse goes on, they start getting more and more like this trope, getting very excited about ideas like killing her parents in their sleep. Unlike every other weird thing in the story, the dolls talking is actually just Sally's imagination - the reason why they get progressively creepier is her own Sanity Slippage.
- Daddy's Girl: Sally is very close to and proud of her father, in contrast to her permanently grouchy and resentful mother. Things get more strained between them as he (and the world around them) gets increasingly monstrous, though.
- Dissonant Serenity: Sally's father is always of good cheer, no matter how bad things get. That starts out charming but quickly gets very creepy given just how bad things get.
- Downer Ending: The mother-of-all downer endings. Due to the huge environmental damage caused by Sally's wish, all of the water will soon be gone from the entire planet. All life will die from thirst and starvation (that is after they either commit suicide and kill and cannibalize each other Mad Max-style). With no water, there are no more rainbows and thus no Rainbow Pirates can be contacted to wish everything back to normal. Because of Timmy's wish, neither he nor Sally will be able to die, meaning they will starve and become dehydrated while the rest of Earth slowly dies. They'll likely suffocate too at some point, considering all the plant life is gone.
- Driven to Suicide: A great many people, including Jane.
- Eldritch Location: The blurry side of town is a side of town where everything is blurry. No matter what you do, nothing ever comes into focus there and it's impossible to see any details of anything. People living there are poor and usually illiterate (it's hard to learn how to read when reading is impossible in your home) and it doubles as The City Narrows.
- Foreshadowing: Sally's dad tells her that she's a survivor and will live longer than anyone else in the world. Thanks to Timmy's wish, she's immortal.
- Hope Spot: Sally manages to convince the militia guard that there might be something to her story, and he agrees to help her create a new rainbow and wish the candy rain away. Then Sally's dad kills him.
- I'm a Humanitarian: With no other way to get vitamins, people resort to eating each other.
- Ride the Rainbow: Rainbows are used by rainbow pirates as transportation, allowing them to plunder wherever the rainbows lead and leave along with it. Considering that Sally's wish made it impossible for it to ever rain water again, this link between the two worlds is severed forever.
- Reality Ensues: Think it would be great if all your wishes came true? Think of the consequences...
- Sadist Teacher: Sally's teacher, Mrs. Truck. She eventually becomes the brutal leader of the militia.
- Sugar Apocalypse: Figuratively and literally. The story starts out as a cutesy children's story, and then everything gets progressively darker and more disturbing... and of course, it's also an apocalypse that takes the form of lots and lots of sugar.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Especially when the world becomes a dried-up husk covered in endless sugar. Sallly and Timmy are still stuck with that fate - and will be so, the ending informs us, until the end of time itself.