Basic Instinct 2 is a 2006 thriller Erotic Film and the sequel to 1992's Basic Instinct. The film was directed by Michael Caton-Jones and stars Sharon Stone, who reprises her role of Catherine Tramell from the original, and David Morrissey, David Thewlis, Indira Varma, Hugh Dancy, and Charlotte Rampling.
The film follows novelist and suspected serial killer Catherine Tramell (Stone), who is once again in trouble with the authorities. Scotland Yard appoints psychiatrist Dr. Michael Glass (Morrissey) to evaluate her after a man in Tramell's presence dies. As with Detective Nick Curran in the first film, Glass becomes a victim of Tramell's seductive games.
This film features examples of:
- "Basic Instinct" Legs-Crossing Parody: The sequel even teases a similar scene in the theatrical poster, showing Catherine sitting opposite Dr. Glass with her legs crossed, but the film itself actually settles for Edgy Backwards Chair-Sitting.
- Cassandra Truth: Catherine, in one scene invokes this trope after Glass tells her to tell him the truth about his ex-wife, with Catherine telling him several things. She coolly notices that he's not buying anything she says, to which she responds, "You don't believe me when I tell you the truth, and you don't believe me when I tell a lie." The fact that with this film, it's hard to see what is truth and what is isn't unless you're familiar with the first film (which some things are mentioned in this one).
- Chained to a Bed: Catherine is still fond of tying her lovers up to the bedposts, but this time she has "upgraded" from the silk scarf from the first film to a straight-up choker.
- Critical Psychoanalysis Failure: Psychiatrist Dr. Michael Glass is appointed to evaluate Catherine Tramell after she's involved in a car accident that kills her lover due to reckless driving. During their sessions she does a reverse psycho-analysis of Glass to mess with his mind, since she's not only a sociopath but studied psychology in college. It doesn't take long for her to dissect all his own personal failings and seduce him into a relationship with her.
- Drives Like Crazy: While this was present in the first film, this time it actually shows Catherine and a guy engaging in foreplay while driving. They end up crashing and the guy dies.
- Edgy Backwards Chair-Sitting: Catherine does this while talking with her psychiatrist, in what seems to be this film's homage to the infamous Going Commando interrogation scene from the first film.
- Retargeted Lust: Much like it happened with Nick in the first film, having been thoroughly taunted and titillated by Catherine, Dr. Glass later has rough sex with his girlfriend before being interrupted this time.
- Sequel Goes Foreign: While the first film takes place in the U.S., this one takes place in London, England.
- Wall Bang Her: At one point in the film, Glass meets an attractive waitress. While in the original release of the film nothing comes from it, in the unrated edition it's shown that they had sex against the wall behind the counter.