Ordinary student Madoka Kaname finds herself in the middle of an eerie place called the Velvet Room, where she is greeted by Igor and Margaret, as well as Luna and Rai. Igor reveals that she has held a Velvet Key prior to entering, something Madoka had no knowledge of, and also comments that Philemon has even visited her to grant her power. Afterwards, Igor warns her with a fortune that someone is out there to plan destruction on her by manipulating her actions. To assist her for her chance in avoiding such a fate, Igor asks her to sign the contract, so that she can rely on the services of the Velvet Room, provided that she takes responsibility for her actions.
And she accepts.
Madoka, reluctant at first, then withdraws her normal life to take on whatever that would soon ruin her future. Little does she know that her normal life was already long gone.
Puella Arcana Somniator Madoka is an ongoing Persona/Puella Magi Madoka Magica Crossover Fan Fic by JudgmentTH (also known as Judgment Waltz). In the sense that it is a For Want of a Nail fic by having Madoka choose a different contract, the story tells of her new Journey as she learns that her powers are those who can summon manifestations of ancient entities and legendary heroes. Her powers come into play when, like the anime, she and her friend Sayaka are surrounded by hordes of a Witch's Familiars, but the true purpose of her powers is for the new world she discovers, a labyrinth filled to the brim with Shadows. Upon realizing that the world holds a connection to the Magical Girls and Witches, and Madoka herself, she, along with Luna and Rai, as well as the developing team of those who can also use their own Personas, search for every hidden answer there is.
The compendium of Puella Arcana Somniator Madoka contains:
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Nagisa after her rescue in Chapter 8 - Return.Nagisa: "But cheese is an awesome snack! And so is candy too!"*beat*Nagisa: "Mmm, cheese candy..."
- Brought Down to Normal: Any Magical Girl who winds up in the new world will lose her powers. That's because they were once Witches before heading there. After that, they can still return to reality after surviving through waves of Shadows. And upon waking up, they will then be able to unlock their potential and summon their Personae.
- The Chosen One: Madoka, naturally, with the power of the Wild Card, briging new elements to the Magical Girl and Witch system. Gets lampshaded by Mami early on, noting how Madoka is much different by not being a Magical Girl yet having special powers.
- Cosmic Plaything: The author seems to enjoy making fun of Homura by giving her unexpected outcomes to this timeline.Judgment: "As for how many times Homura gets plot-slapped, well, who knows?"
- Dead Fic: The story hasn't had any updates since 2014.
- The Dreaded: Nobody's really fond of seeing the Reaper anytime soon.
- Expy: The author subtly implies Nagisa Momoe is one to Teddie, being a bit of Cloudcuckoolanders themselves and having mysterious pasts.
- First-Name Basis: Ayame and Maria go for this (and without Japanese Honorifics to boot) for reasons unknown as of now. Luna and Rai also don't address people by their last name for most of the time (though they do address them by their full name when in a serious conversation), but then again, they are residents of the Velvet Room...
- Foreshadowing: There's quite a number in every chapter. The best one comes from all the way in the prologue, where someone (presumably said in his/her dying state) thanks Arisato before the voice disappears.
- Gratuitous Latin: True to Puella Magi Madoka Magica, along with a flair of the Persona series. "Arcana" means mystery, as part of the Tarot Arcana motif as well as the general plot, and "Somniator" means dreamer, which comes from how a person has to be asleep to access the new world.
- Heroic BSoD: Madoka gets one when she wasn't able to use any of her Personae during the fight against some Familiars. It turns out to be just a minor inconvenience, since she couldn't summon them because there was no place filled with "imagination" for the Personae to manifest, this case being the Witch Barriers.
- I Am Who?: Madoka's not really sure what she is when she discovers that not only does the new world have a connection to her, she can even use Fusion Skills.
- Lethal Joke Item: The Toy Bow makes an appearance but has yet to be used.
- Lighter and Softer: Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a Magical Girl series that's pretty dark for its genre and that is a huge understatement, but it is crossing over with the Persona series (moreso to the later games) where The Power of Friendship exists and urges the Wild Card users to understand their bonds with people and who they fight for. Whether the darker side of either series jumps in sooner or later, only time will tell.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Homura does not seem to be aware of what goes on with Madoka in the background. A very ironic case, mind you.
- The One Guy: Rai is the only male around helping Madoka in the other world. Ryoji as well, for the real world at the least.
- Original Generation: Luna and Rai, twins of the Velvet Room, followed by Ayame Shirogane and Maria.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience: Those who wind up in that other world will have nothing to wear, much to Rai's annoyance.
- Naked on Revival: Returning to the real world will somehow have the same effect. This is because they were once Witches, with their original bodies dead, and so they gain new bodies upon their return.
- Reconstruction: Despite the fact that summoning gods, deities, demons, and monsters are powers granted onto the girls, one might actually see this fic as one to the Magical Girl genre, with The Power of Friendship now in hand.
- Save Scumming: An in-universe example happens in an omake when Madoka can write things down on a book as a record of sorts, which allows her to return to said record with everything she had at that point. Cue weakness strikes, enemies reflecting attacks, and Madoka losing to the Reaper by a Megidolaon. All of this is even added by a piece of Igor's poem in Persona 3. But Madoka winds up fine the next minute, if only a little shaken.
- Screw Destiny: Part of the premise of the fic is to avoid the flags the mysterious manipulator puts up. And par for Puella Magi Madoka Magica's course, everything that can go horribly wrong.
- Time Crash: This is actaully what the author hinted in one of the SpaceBattles posts. Exactly what happened before this fic started is yet unknown.
- Took a Level in Badass: Madoka doesn't become a Magical Girl anytime soon in the original anime. In here, she already harnesses the power of the Wild Card and can even use Fusion Skills.
- Ryoji and Thanatos show up and do a number on a Witch with Kyouko and Yuma. It's not hard to imagine since he is the personification of Death and held his own against Aigis before.
- Too Smart for Strangers: Kyouko's already knowledgeable about who to talk to... but not Yuma. It's also subverted because the stranger turns out to be Ryoji.
- The Unexpected: It's rather unclear on how the hell did Ryoji manage to get back considering his role in Persona 3, but it could be speculated that either Minato or the Time Crash had something to do with it.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: The Rampage Drive, like its Persona 3 predecessor, is immune to all physical attacks, resists Agi, and delivers a hell of a punch with its attacks, especially once it uses Tarukaja. Fortunately, it's not immune to Panic-inflicting attacks, which Madoka makes use of.
- Walking Spoiler: Thanks to the Time Crash that happened and Nagisa somehow remembering about Madoka (despite only remembering that Madoka was using her original Magical Girl dress), Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion is canon.
- Weirdness Magnet: Chapter 9 - Recall summarizes (by her friends) that she's related to a quiet girl clearly interested in her (Homura), a young elementary fascinated by cheese (Nagisa), odd fortune tellers who assist her with managing her Personas (the Velvet Room), and an unknown person who lent her the Velvet Key (Minato). She was also picked by a god to forge the future to her decisions (Philemon).
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Luna and Rai hold shades of this.