Dying Soul is an...interesting crossover fanfic between Vocaloid and the Danganronpa series, featuring gratuitous violence and profanity, extremely hammy villains, and constant author's notes not only interrupt the story, but go on for far, far too long while doing so. Possibly the Vocaloid fandom's equivalent to My Inner Life in terms of quality, but not quite as infamous.
Dying Soul contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Flower refers to Maika as "Maika-chan", and Fukase refers to Kaito as "Kaito-chan".
- Author Appeal: The author seems to be fond of vampires, nekos, and gay ships, shoehorning them in at every opportunity.
- Ax-Crazy: The majority of the cast, including the main character, kill other characters without any sort of explanation or remorse, and even practice cannibalism.
- Back from the Dead: Fukase and Kaito are murdered and their organs harvested by Flower in the fifth chapter, said organs later being eaten by Gakupo in Chapter 7. They come back later and join the villains.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Gakupo is described as being the most powerful gang leader in all of Japan, and he kidnaps people from gangs he's defeated and forces them to be his sex slaves. He also gladly eats a soup made of human blood and organs. And yet, he's still portrayed as Flower's soulmate, with Flower giving birth to his child in Chapter 16.
- Big, Fancy House: Gakupo's home, Sword Mansion, where most of the story takes place, is likely supposed to be one, although due to the Beige Prose, it's not really described in much detail.
- Breast Expansion: In chapter 7, Miku gives Flower and Maika magical milk that makes their breasts grow, apparently enough to rip open their dresses.
- Cat Girl: Luka, Flower, Maika, and Gakupo's other slaves become one when they reach the mansion. It's not explained why or how Gakupo has the power to do this.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In a similar vein to My Immortal, pretty much every character swears constantly with very little provocation.Fukase: "Alright bitches we got five minutes before his gf comes here and tries to fuckin kills us"
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The battle between Mayu's gang and Gakupo's in the 20th chapter ends with everyone in Mayu's gang dead, except for Tsumugi.
- Demoted to Extra: The Danganronpa characters seem like they're going to play a big role, but they don't really do much, besides Kaito Momota killing the other Kaito.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Flower catches Fukase in bed with Kaito, and shoots both of them in the head and later makes their organs and blood into a soup for Gakupo to eat.
- Don't Explain The Joke: The author butts in pretty much every single time a joke is made to explain it with an author's note.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The twenty-first chapter is titled "Mayu Dies". Guess what happens.
- Eye Scream: Flower inflicts this and a Glasgow Grin on Fukase's corpse in Chapter 6.
- French Maid Outfit: Gakupo's female slaves all wear these.
- Glasgow Grin: As mentioned before under Eye Scream, Flower carves this onto Fukase's face after harvesting his organs for a soup to feed to Gakupo.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Flower, Maika, and Gakupo are all incredibly profane and violent. When Gakupo's gang attacks Fukase's in the first chapter, Maika shoots Rin in the head and Len in the arm, and Gakupo cuts off gang members' heads with his katana. And of course, there's the infamous cannibalism scene.
- Meaningful Name: Flower's child is named Hanako, which translates to "flower child".
- Mind Screw: Characters are brought back from the dead randomly, and killed off just as quickly, nobody seems to have any motivation for their actions and kill each other at the drop of a hat, and none of their various powers are ever given a decent explanation. The spelling does not help.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: After Fukase and Kaito are brought Back from the Dead, the villains become "magic ninja neko vampires".
- No Indoor Voice: It would be easier to find a line of Mayu's dialogue that isn't in all caps. Take this quote from Chapter 16:Mayu: DO YOU KNO WAT THIS MEANS?!?!!!!?!Meiko: "no"Mayu: IT MEANS THAT THIS CHILD IS THE CHOSEN ONE!!!!!! AND MY SPELL BACKFIRED!!!!
- One Steve Limit: Averted, there are two Kaitos from two completely different sources, although neither of them do very much.
- Playing with Fire: Gumi gains fire powers in Chapter 9 and uses them to attack Flower. They are never brought up again.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Hanako, Flower and Gakupo's daughter, matures quickly in a similar fashion to Twilight's Renesmee. The author even points this out in a note.
- Shout-Out: The author shouts out Twilight and DHMIS in the author's notes, comparing Hanako to Renesmee and saying that they were inspired to add the cannibalism scene because of DHMIS 5.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Mayu in Chapter 12 after being insulted by Tenko.Mayu: FUCK ALL OF YOU!!!! [teleports away]
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Flower, Gakupo, and, after her birth, their child, Hanako take away a lot of attention from the rest of the characters. Especially Hanako.
- Talk to the Fist: Maika delivers this to Piko in Chapter 10.Piko: Well we h8 gakupo so were never leting him take her!!!!
Maika: SHUT THE FUCK UP SHOTA [shoots him]
- This Is For Emphasis, Bitch!: Used by Flower after Gakupo is accidentally shot by Meiko in Chapter 11.Flower: NOT GAKUPO!!!!!! BITCH!!!!
Miu: Yea well you got rid of the ppl from the first 2 seasons but u didnt get rid of us!!!! BITCH!!!!
- Later, in Chapter 12 Miu delivers another one.
- Title Drop: Gakupo delivers one in the last chapter after Maika's funeral.Hanako: "I think everyones soul is dying now"Gakupo: "But even a dying soul can change evryting"