Tahliah Debrett Barnett, born 16 January 1988, who is better known by her stage name FKA twigs, is an English singer-songwriter, producer and dancer originally from Gloucestershire and currently based in London. Her music is like a mix between Björk, Janet Jackson, Sade and Aphex Twin. Or something like that.
Her debut album, LP1, was released under Young Turks in August 2014, and it was one of the most critically acclaimed albums of that year. In 2015, she released M3LL155X, her third EP, accompanied by a short film featuring 4 of the 5 songs in it.
- EP1 (as Twigs) (2012)
- EP2 (2013)
- LP1 (2014)
- M3LL155X (2015)
- Magdalene (2019)
- A Date with Rosie Palms: "Kicks" seems to be about this.
- Berserk Button: She really doesn't like having her music referred to as R&B, because she feels that has more to do with her race than the actual sound.
- Cluster F-Bomb: "Two Weeks" has a lot of cursing.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The videos for "Papi Pacify," "Video Girl," and "Good to Love."
- Dream Team:
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Some of her videos play with this trope, working with makeup, her natural appearance, and a lot of eeriness.
- Humanoid Abomination: In the "Water Me" music video, her eyeballs grow to way beyond natural size. It looks...off.
- Intercourse with You: "Papi Pacify", "Two Weeks", "Water Me", "I'm Your Doll", "Glass & Patron", and others.
- The Mistress: "Two Weeks" has shades of this mixed with adultery. In it she tries to convince her love interest to leave their partner for her saying all she'll need is "two weeks".
- Mixed Ancestry: Her father is Jamaican, and her mother is part English and Spanish.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Think of her music like a mix between R&B, IDM, Trip-Hop, Dream Pop, Soul, Wonky and many other genres. Alternative R&B and Art Pop are the closest terms to describe it, technically. Then M3LL155X introduces elements of Industrial, Glitch and Trap music as well.
- Obsession Song: "Ache", "Water Me", "Hours", "Pendulum", and "Closer" are all passive ones. "Numbers" is a shockingly aggressive example.
- Odd Friendship: Shes good friends with T-Pain, apparently.
- Precision F-Strike: She gives us this gem in "Glass & Patron":"Look a little harder/ Shut your eyes and feel the rush/ Will you fuck me while I stare at the sun?"
- Shout-Out: Her costume in the "Two Weeks" video resembles Aaliyah's in Queen of the Damned.
- Surreal Music Video: All of them. Seriously.
- Textless Album Cover:
- Her albums LP1 and Magdalene.
- Two of her EP's, EP2 and M3LL155X.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Spectacularly subverted in the video for Cellophane, which starts with Twigs pole-dancing in a sparkly bikini. Then a giant insect with her face flies down from the ceiling. Then things begin to get odd.
- Uncanny Valley: Invoked quite often in her imagery.