Mario & Luigi is a series of Super Mario Bros. fan fictions written by MultiShadow101. Though it incorporates many elements and characters from the game series, it is set in its own universe and continuity. There are currently four entries in the series.
Within the series, the eponymous Mario Bros. are part of an ancient prophecy depicting the fall of the evil Koopa Troop, and follows their attempts to protect the entire Mushroom World from threats, meeting many friends and enemies along the way.
The current entries in the cities are:
- Mario & Luigi: The Sword of Mushrooms
- Mario & Luigi: Wrath of the Wicked Flame
- Mario & Luigi: Curse of the Dark King
- Mario & Luigi: The Rainbow Star
Not to be confused with the Mario & Luigi RPG series.
This series contains examples of:
- Alternate Continuity: To the games.
- Ascended Extra: Merlon was originally a side character in the Paper Mario series, and Brighton and Twila were only featured in the plot of Mario Party 6. Here, they are the ones who provide council to Mario and Luigi, and the ones who created their various power-up items.
- Bash Brothers/Sibling Team: Mario and Luigi, of course.
- Big Bad: Bowser, so far.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: Bowser and Kamek.
- Body Horror: Bowser only manages to survive his first battle with the Mario Bros. by becoming Dry Bowser.
- Catch and Return: The Sword of Mushrooms can absorb virtually any kind of energy and return it at double the power.
- Canon Immigrant: Any OCs, of course.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Mario and Luigi to Peach and Daisy, respectively.
- Chosen One: Or Chosen Two, in this case. Mario and Luigi.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Merlon may be eccentric and goofy, but is a powerful magician.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Bowser.
- Fantastic Racism/Social Darwinist: Bowser follows his late father and grandfather's beliefs that the Koopas should be the dominant species on the planet and that all others, especially Toads, are below them.
- Frameup: In a psuedo-adaptation of Super Mario Sunshine in Curse of the Dark King, Bowser Jr. disguises himself as Shadow Mario to frame Mario for graffiti crimes, but his act ends when Mario first meets and beats him.
- Great Offscreen War: Regular references are made to a "Great War" fought between the Koopa Troop and the forces of the Mushroom Kingdom and their allies.
- Happily Adopted/Interspecies Adoption: Mario and Luigi to their adoptive Toad parents.
- Hypocrite: Kamek warns Mario and Luigi not to underestimate him... and then boasts to Luigi that, as the worthless and weaker of the two Mario Bros, he should be easy to take down. Luigi even calls him out on it.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The links are all dead as one may have noticed for a while now. There is an attempt at rewriting the story as said on the author's new profile but as of now, the stories are pretty much history. No archives exist, as well.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Browgan the Terrible.
- Not Quite Dead: Bowser's defeat at the end of The Sword of Mushrooms.
- Posthumous Character: Browgan the Terrible, Peach's ancestors, Mario and Luigi's parents, etc.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Defied. Both before and after their powers surface, Mario and Luigi own and run a successful plumbing business.