Lea Katherine Thompson (born May 31, 1961 in Rochester, Minnesota) is an American actress, television director and television producer.
She is married to director Howard Deutch. Their daughters are actresses Maddie and Zoey Deutch.
- Jaws 3D (1983) as Kelly Ann Bukowski
- All the Right Moves (1983) as Lisa Lietzke
- Red Dawn (1984) as Erica Mason
- Back to the Future (1985) as Lorraine McFly, née Baines
- SpaceCamp (1986) as Kathryn Fairly
- Howard the Duck (1986) as Beverly Switzler - which years later led the actress to appear in the comics As Herself
- Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) as Amanda Jones
- Casual Sex? (1988) as Stacy
- Article 99 (1992) as Dr. Robin Van Dorn
- Dennis the Menace (1993) as Alice Mitchell
- The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) as Laura Jackson "Laurette Voleur"
- Caroline in the City (1995-1999) as Caroline Duffy
- Exit Speed (2008) as Maudie Thompson.
- J. Edgar (2011) as Lela Rogers (mother of Ginger Rogers)
- Switched at Birth (2011-2017) as Kathryn Kennish
- Love at the Christmas Table (2012) as E.B.
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero - Vonnie Zero (2014) (voice)
Tropes in her works:
- The Cast Showoff: She performed her own singing in Howard the Duck.
- Old Shame: Actually subverted as far as Howard the Duck is concerned. She takes a lot of pride in her role on the film in spite of its flaws, and has even offered to direct a reboot for Marvel herself.
- Playing Gertrude: As Lorraine Baines McFly in the 1985 scenes of the Back to the Future trilogy. She was born nine days before co-star Michael J. Fox and played his mother in said scenes.
- Star-Derailing Role: Though she's not bitter about it, between Howard the Duck and SpaceCamp, 1986 was not a good year for Thompson. Outside the BTTF trilogy, she wouldn't find major success on the silver screen again. Though her TV role in Caroline in the City would keep her in the popular consciousness in the latter half of The '90s.