Born 3,000 years ago in Atlantis, Marc Slayton is the son of a human woman and an enhanced Kherubim warlord. When Atlantis fell, Marc was spirited away to dry land and raised to adulthood by his father's former adviser. With no family or friends, he spent the next few millennia adventuring, becoming a ninja, a knight, and eventually a secret agent in World War II, where he was recruited into Team Zero, the predecessor to the Wildstorm universe's Team Seven. During his service in the latter organization, he became exposed to the "Gen Factor", which activated his Kherubim heritage, granting him superpowers like the ability to generate psionic whips and turn into mist.
The original series ran from 1994 to 1997. Afterwards, he appeared in various other Wildstorm comics. Later his daughter Jodi took up the mantle herself.
This series contains examples of:
- Affirmative Action Legacy: In recent years, the mantle of Backlash has passed to Marc Slayton's daughter Jodi.
- "Awesome McCool" Name: Marc Slayton.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: In the Wildstorm universe, Atlantis was a Kherubim colony.
- Combat Tentacles: As a result of his Kherubim heritage and his exposure to the Gen Factor, Marc Slayton can sprout tentacles of pure telekinetic energy from his forearms.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Marc's father was a Kherubim lord.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Over the centuries, Marc has been a ninja, a knight, and a secret agent.
- Older Than They Look: Backlash is over three-thousand years old, but looks no older than his early thirties.
- Really 700 Years Old: Backlash is old enough to have been born in Atlantis.
- Spin-Off: Backlash originally appeared in Stormwatch before getting his own series.