This is a list of the characters in Puffin Rock.
A young puffin, or puffling, who lives on Puffin Rock. She is always accompanied by her little brother Baba and embarking on adventures around the island, learning about the world around her.
Oona's baby brother. Like his sister, he is curious about the world around him.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Due to his young age, he's easily distracted by the smallest things.
- Be the Ball: His body sometimes turns into a ball shape whenever he's bouncing or rolling around.
- Big Sister Worship: Adores his older sister.
- Catchphrase: "Baba-boo!" and "Fishy-fishy!" (when he's hungry)
- The Cutie
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: He gets these whenever he's upset.
- Tagalong Kid
Oona and Baba's parents.
- Adult Fear: They worry A LOT if Oona and Baba wander too far from the nest or get into dangerous situations.
- Alternate Animal Affection: Whenever they get lovey-dovey, they rub their beaks together, similar to how real life puffins greet each other.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Mama has pale pink eyes while Papa has blue eyes.
- Good Parents
- Pale Females, Dark Males: Mama is a noticeably lighter shade than Papa.
- Unnamed Parent: They are always referred to as Mama and Papa, even calling themselves those names. Given that their children's names are Oona and Baba, Mama and Papa could plausibly be their names.
A pygmy shrew who is Oona's best friend. He lives with his fellow shrews, known as the Shrew Crew.
An owl who is an accomplished flier and is always happy to give Oona flying tips. He is sometimes joined by his younger siblings, Pip and Pop.
A rabbit who is another friend of Oona's. She has a competitive streak and often engages in racing games with Oona.
A grey seal who often joins Oona on underwater adventures.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: She tends to be a bit whiny whenever she gets upset or distressed.
- Dub Name Change: In both the European and Brazilian Portuguese dubs, her name is changed to Sela, which may either be a play on the word sailor, or an anagram of seal.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is a play on selkie.
- Sweet Seal
A red fox with a loner personality. She hates being disturbed, but will sometimes (albeit reluctantly) help the others out.
- Berserk Button: Set foot in in her den and you'll incur her wrath.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She starts out as this, but gradually begins to warm up to the others.
- The Dreaded: As much as possible for a preschool show. All the animals on Puffin Rock are wary of her, and she can easily drive away the great black-backed gull that is the second most feared creature there.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her moody demeanor, she will help out if necessary, even if she's not keen.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: You know she's coming up behind you when you see these in the shadows.
An elderly hermit crab who sometimes gives advice to the others. He has a habit of telling long stories of his youth.
The rivals of the puffins.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Though pretty much just a bunch of jerks, they are still afraid of the great black-backed gull, and are willing to work together with the puffins to scare it away.
- Jerkass: They often make life difficult for the puffins, even trying to steal their fish.
- The Voiceless: They communicate through squawks instead of speaking.