Bananya is a Summer 2016 anime by studio Gathering based one of Japanese stationary company Q-Lia's cute mascots, a miniature cat named Bananya (combining the word "banana" with "nya", the sound a cat makes) who lives inside a banana. The Narrator claims to have discovered a species of tiny cats who hide inside bananas and only come out to play when humans aren't around, describing the results of his research.
In addition to Bananya we meet his various friends, such as Black Bananya, Tabby Bananya, Bananyako, Long-haired Bananya, Daddy Bananya, and Baby Bananya. Towards the end of each episode the Narrator opens the Bananya identification book and focuses on the personality of one of the characters. The show consists of thirteen three-minute shorts.
Discotek has licensed the series in the US, and will have an English dub narrated by Michael Toole.
This anime provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Tabby loves Bananyako, who's obsessed with Long-haired Bananya, who's too obsessed with himself to notice.
- Dude Magnet: Bananyako has Tabby, Mackrel Tabby, and Calico all crushing on her.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Bananya shoots fire out of his mouth from tasting Namaste Bananya's curry.
- Hopeless Suitor: Tabby Bananya is infatuated with Bananyako, who won't give him the time of day.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode title ends with the Verbal Tic "nya", such as "Bananya and the mouse, nya", or "Bananya goes out, nya".
- Masquerade: The Bananyas don't want to be disovered by humans, and they go back to pretending to be regular bananas whenever people come home.
- Ojou: Elizabeth Bananya is a fancy banana with blonde Ojou Ringlets and a frilly pink parasol and bonnet who daintily sips tea from a fancy teacup.
- Overly Long Gag: In episode 1, the narrator keeps trying to say Bananya's name, but each time gets cut off at "Ba-" or "Bana-" before Bananya interupts with "Nya!" This keeps repeating for a full 30 seconds, to the point where the narrator says "Ba-" one more time, gets no response, and finally thinks he's going to finish when Bananya says "Nya!" again.
- Pokémon Speak: Aside from the Narrator and other human characters, the main bunch communicate by nya'ing.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Bananya's species are miniature cats who hide inside banana peels like hermit crabs and their shells. The equation goes something like this: Everybody likes bananas; everybody likes cats. Therefore, combining the two will produce the best animal. If it's cute, it doesn't have to make sense!
- Sim Sim Salabim: Namaste Bananya, a turbaned, mustachioed banana that Bananya meets at the supermarket, comes from the land of curry and will offer a plate to anyone he meets. He's even accompanied by sitar music.
- The Smurfette Principle: Bananyako is the only girl in the main gang.
- Standard '50s Father: Daddy Bananya is a good old-fashioned dad with glasses and a combover who can often be seen reading the newspaper.
- Sweet Tooth: According to the Narrator, Bananya is fond of sweets, and his dream is to become a chocolate-covered banana.
- Widget Series: If this show doesn't qualify, we don't know what would.