Hey! I'm a 23 year old girl from Norway who's been a troper for years, but only been active on the forum since August 2017 note . On TV Tropes I shamelessly lowkey promote my own webcomic's page and lurk around the Forum Games section, mainly the avatar games and Hunger Games Simulation, and I regularly drop by Yack Fest too. You might know me as "that girl who plays lots of Japanese rhythm games, draws a comic about game companies as people and still loves Zero Wing and its memes". Video games are one of my biggest hobbies, and I'm especially a huge fan of Nintendo and rhythm games! Other hobbies include drawing, cosplay and cooking (especially desserts and other snacks)
I'm rather easily amused and tend to like a lot of rather strange works, along with a fascination for So Bad, It's Good (always looking for more in this category!) I also have a deep knowledge of internet memes. The fictional characters who best describe me are Chiaki Nanami, Osaka and Aoba Suzukaze. Author of the webcomic Consolers.
open/close all folders
Work pages launched by Zanreo
Tropes that apply to me:
- 100% Completion: I'm a bit of a completionist and love going for all the trophies/achievements (even if just in-game achievement systems rather than account-based ones), 100% save files and similar. Usually what makes me try out extra challenges outside of the "regular" difficulty - generally I won't go for a super hard challenge unless I get something out of it (that "something" typically being a trophy). In fact, the "play through game with an extra challenge" type trophies like speedruns, no damage runs and complete on extra hard mode tend to be some of my least favorite trophies/achievements, along with heavy grinds.
- Asexual: And aromantic.
- Asperger's Syndrome: Diagnosed as a kid.
- Bias Steamroller: When it comes to games, I'm not a fan of MMORPGs, MOBAs and FPS, and tend to avoid them due to disliking the genre in itself.
- As for genres I'm usually positive towards: I LOVE rhythm games and will pretty much try out anything in the genre.
- Big Eater: I love food and will eat a lot of it given the chance
- Boyish Short Hair: I like keeping my hair short
- Buffy Speak: I tend to speak like this a bit, using "thing" and "stuff" a lot
- Chaotic Good: According to several tests, and yeah, seems to fit me pretty well.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Yeah, I can be pretty weird and often have my head in the clouds
- Cuckoo Snarker: Though I do deliver some "sick burns" and snarky quips from time to time, often about the game industry.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Cosplay is one of my big hobbies, some of my recent costumes include Aoba Suzukaze, CATS and Nintendo.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: From many late nights staying up playing games or browsing the internet.
- Fandom Berserk Button:
- Pokémon "genwunners" - people who claim the 1st gen are the only "real" Pokémon. (In fact, 1st gen is overall one of my LEAST favorites design-wise.) If someone prefers 1st gen, that's cool, but if they start claiming anything after the first 151 "doesn't count" or "doesn't even look like Pokémon"...
- Someone claiming that Nintendo doesn't allow any "mature" games on their systems will take all my willpower to not instantly correct them about how this hasn't been true since the SNES days, that the only games actually not allowed based on rating/content are AO rated games (which aren't allowed on ANY console), and bring up examples like how they published Bayonetta 2 of all things.
- The phrase "git gud", even used jokingly. There are less obnoxious versions to say "just keep practising and you'll get better"
- Fan of the Past: In a way: game history is one of my big passions, and I love reading up on game history trivia. Especially in relation to game companies rather than just the games themselves. (Though how big of a fan I am of the actual times rather than just finding the trivia amusing can vary)
- I'm also a shameless fan of various old memes (sometimes preferring to call them "classic memes"), even long after the rest of the internet has moved on. In fact, it would be easier and quicker to list the memes I used to like and HAVE gotten tired of...
- Gamer Chick: I play a lot of video games, in particular I'm a big Nintendo fangirl and love rhythm games, though I will play a lot of different games, preferring more stylized and cartoony games to more "realistic" and dark and gritty ones.
- Iconic Item: Mostly in other parts of the internet, but lasers. Also banhammers when I was still a mod at a forum.
- Kuudere In real life. Type 2 or 3 - I can seem kinda shy and "cold" around strangers, however my friends know this is not the case at all.
- Master of None: Probably as a result of having lots of hobbies and not enough time to put effort into just one at a time. While I'm decent at drawing, making cosplays, making games and animations I'm not really great at any of them.
- Meganekko: My glasses are an important part of my look, and I think I look much better with them than without.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: It's not "Zanero", it's Zanreo. Somehow, people keep calling me "Zanero"...
- Nice Hat: Often seen wearing a Waluigi cap.
- NEET: Trying to get out of it, but ever since I graduated I've had trouble finding a job for a variety of reasons. But even when all odds seem against me I refuse to completely give up!
- Not a Morning Person: I generally hate getting up early. Though on days where this doesn't matter, my sleeping schedule is all over the place.
- No Pronunciation Guide: ZAN-ree-oh? Zan-RE-oh? Sanrio? I don't really mind either way.
- Older Than They Look: Due to me being short and somewhat young-looking, I'm sometimes assumed to be younger than I actually am.
- Opaque Lenses: I usually draw myself with these.
- Promoted Fangirl: After only two years of joining a Nintendo forum I hang out on a lot, they decided to make me a moderator. (Sadly, the servers broke years ago and the forum and site never got back after that. so sad :c)
- Proud to Be a Geek: So very much.
- Pungeon Master: I love puns and will usually take the opportunity to make one
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: I have way too many unfinished projects, a giant game backlog and often delay things to the last minute.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: And combined with this, it's a wonder I get anything done...
- Save Scumming: I fully admit to doing this at times when possible, typically to beat That One Level or easier get an annoying trophy.
- Significant Anagram: My real name is an anagram of "Laser Linked", appropiate considering my fondness for lasers.
- The Slacker: Yep.
- Sweet Tooth: I love candy, desserts and other sweet snacks.
- The Teetotaler: I don't drink, mainly because I hate the taste of alcohol.
- The Quiet One: Sometimes before you get to know me.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Several people online have assumed I'm a guy (especially in more male-dominated forums), possibly because of my ambiguous-sounding nickname.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Recently started dying my hair purple.
Some works I like:
Biggest faves in bold:
Anime and Manga:
- Aggressive Retsuko
- Axis Powers Hetalia
- Azumanga Daioh
- Chargeman Ken note
- Daily Lives of High School Boys
- Garzey's Wing note
- Haré+Guu note
- Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls
- Lucky Star
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- New Game!
- Osomatsu-kun note
- Pop Team Epic
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume
- Big Hero 6
- Kubo and the Two Strings
- The LEGO Movie
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney note
- Spirited Away
- Summer Wars
- Wreck-It Ralph
Web Video, Animation and similar:
- Extra Credits
- Most of Neil Cicierega's work
- Nico Nico Douga medleys and (oto)MADs (in general)
- Really, just memetic internet mashup stuff overall
- Vinesauce, especially Vinny and Joel
- Youtube Poop note
- YTPMVs, more or less the same as MADs really
- Overall, most Nintendo series
- Rhythm games in general, especially Japanese rhythm games
- Ace Attorney
- Dangan Ronpa
- Ghost Trick
- Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
- Katamari Damacy
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mario & Luigi
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
- Pokémon (main series)
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
- pop'n music
- Rhythm Heaven
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Smash Bros.
- Taiko No Tatsujin
- Touhou note
- Yakuza note
- Zero Escape
- Zero Wing note
Other (aka Zan Aesthetic):
To watch/play/ect. list
Tropes I like
- Adorkable: Especially since these characters tend to be relatable
- Anime Hair: Pretty fond of ridiculous hairstyles. (Except when I'm trying to style cosplay wigs...)
- Anthropomorphic Personification, especially of the Moe Anthropomorphism type. Especially when the character design finds creative uses to represent whatever they're based on
- Some cases of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking and Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick
- Bait-and-Switch jokes: Can be pretty funny sometimes
- Band Land: Bonus points for instruments making sounds when you interact with them!
- Dark Is Not Evil and Light Is Not Good: Some of my favorite subversions
- Harmless Villain and Laughably Evil: Especially of the more hammy kind. What can I say, I love me some ridiculous villains
- Hurricane of Puns
- Joke Level
- Large Ham: Over-the-top ridiculous characters and situations? Yes please!
- Level Ate: Food-themed levels are great
- Meganekko: Glasses just look great on a lot of characters
- Stealth Pun
- Stylistic Suck at times, as a result of my love for So Bad, It's Good
- Rhythm versions of Unexpected Gameplay Change
- Unsound Effect
Misc. other stuff:
My Platinum trophies on Playstation consoles.
- 1: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
- 2: Katamari Forever
- 3: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 4: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 5: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd (on PS3)
- 6: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1
- 7: Persona 4 Dancing All Night
- 8: Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
- 9: Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls
- 10: Sega Mega Drive Collection
- 11: Steins Gate
- 12: Day of the Tentacle Remastered
- 13: IA/VT Colorful
- 14: Severed
- 15: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 3
- 16: Taiko no Tatsujin V Version
- 17: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2
- 18: Littlebigplanet Vita
- 19: Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies
- 20: Virtue's Last Reward
- 21: Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man
- 22: Arcade Game Series: Dig Dug
- 23. Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed
- 24. Miracle Girls Festival