TV Tropes is 149% Funded
View Kickstarter Project
Our Kickstarter campaign has received $74,000 from over 2,000 backers! TV Tropes 2.0 is coming. There is no stopping it now. We have 4 days left. At $75K we can also develop an API and at $100K the tropes web series will be produced. View the project here
and discuss here
- Mangix, Pandaren Brewmaster, Defense of the Ancients
22 years old. EPIC
's uncle. He'll
get back to revise
this space when he's thought of more things to say.
- Ax-Crazy: Self-induced, for a time. He even attempted to use The Power of Hate in his attempt to take a level in badass. This may be a coincidence, considering that he briefly referred to himself as Chidori Panda...
- Badass Creed: Has two of them:
In Going My Own Way I will be a man by my own definition, search for wisdom and use my abilities for the welfare of myself and fellow men.
Furthermore, I will not screw over anyone who doesn't have it coming, nor will I tolerate those who do.
I, [name here], hereby take this Vow!
And this one, in response to a previous Love Interest
who turned out to be a gold digger:
Screw these bitches, I have money!
- Badass in a Nice Suit: The image he likes to project. His standard outfits consist of a polo shirt (usually black) and black corduroys, his all-black outfits being his favorite of the lot. His current Love Interest does not approve, though, and so he has toned down the black to an extent.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: The girl he likes is a type B Tsundere. Well, he wishes they were a couple, anyway...
- Berserk Button: Among other things, it's a bad idea to 1) lie, betray or otherwise deceive him, or to 2) (so much as) badmouth his friends.
- Please do NOT mention his ex-Love Interest / ex-friend's name around him. His nephew has this button too (with the additional mention of said girl's mother), and will in fact take it even worse than he will.
- Still retains this button even after he and the girl reconciled, but Played for Laughs instead of drama.
- Big Brother Mentor: Just ask his nephews. They're closer to him than to each other, much to his dismay. To a lesser extent, he also plays this role to his best friend's younger brother.
- Broken Bird: A rare male example. The details aren't pretty, mind.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer-in-Training: Claims to be already dead after having been run over years ago (almost, anyway), giving him the power of disappearing and reappearing on people around him. Alternatively, he sometimes refers to himself as a demon in acknowledgment of one of the nicknames his high school buddies had for him (see below). Has headphones jacked into his head all the time. He's more than competent at things when he actually gives a damn, though. In particular, his skills as a writer and as a typist are highly coveted by his peers, and more recently, he's been asked to sing at people's events (birthdays, weddings, etc).
- As of June 2012, he's actually entered law school, which means he'll eventually become a literal Bunny-Ears Lawyer.
- Chekhov's Skill: His friends happen to be mostly girls who, to put it mildly, 'don't' like his gaming habit much. And then they saw the way he typed...
- As he told them, "You know you spend too much time on a computer when you can type like me."
- Actually, he believes that any seemingly trivial knowledge we possess has the potential to become a Chekhov's Skill in the right situation.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Or so his friends say. But to this troper it seems more like Precision F-Strike.
- Cute Shotaro Boy: Has been described by multiple sources (classmates, professors, etc.) as such. In fact, he's been mistaken for a high school student more times than he can count.
- Deadpan Snarker: It carried over to his nephews (the elder blows it out of the water), but he does it to quite an extent.
- Defense of the Ancients: All-Stars: The only hardcore gamer in his class - and in his group, much to his dismay.
- Failure Knight In Sour Armor: So much...
- Fan Nickname
- Fluffy the Terrible: 'Panda', sometimes 'X Panda', where 'X' (usually) coincides with his current state of mind. By default it's 'Evil Panda' (or just 'Panda' if it's his female comrades), but he's also referred to himself as 'Sleepy Panda', 'Emo Panda', 'Fluffy Panda' (when he's in an especially screwy mood), and the most subtle so far, 'Chidori Panda' (see above)...
- Red Baron / Names to Run Away From Really Fast / Deathbringer the Adorable: Has been called 'Lucifer' by his high school buddies (derived from his actual nickname) and 'Lucy' (ditto), as well as 'The Dominator' and 'The Most Dominant Force' by his college mates. While initially ambivalent about the last one, he has since come to embrace it, even referring to his far-too-capable-for-its-size laptop as 'The Most Dominant Laptop'.
- Friend to All Children: Ask his nephews, both of whom he's helped take care of since they were little, has come to regard as surrogate little brothers, and the latter of whom he refers to as his BABY. Hell, he even met his current Love Interest while working part time in a daycare center. Rather appropriate too, since... Well, scroll down to Running Gag and you'll see.
- Freak Out / Heroic BSOD: Is horribly prone to these.
- Has Two Daddies: Not him, but he happens to be the godfather of his best friend's adoptive child. Said best friend's mother actually lampshaded it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With his best friend, whom he met in his junior year at college, and who continues to be a positive influence in his life. It's gotten to the point where his best friend's family has grown to love him, and would probably adopt him if it came down to it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When it comes right down to it, he's ready and willing to say and decide on this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Morality Pet: His nephews. He'd have lost (what's left of) his mind long ago, otherwise. More recently, his best friend's adopted infant daughter.
- Morality Chain: His current Love Interest and her daughter, the latter of whom actually calls him 'daddy'. He really does want to become a better person for them, but as of now, is not so sure that being spurned would not cause a relapse.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls: One of the exceptions. Here's his ff.net account.
- The Nicknamer: ...yeah. Most notably, his nephew and his friends.
- His nickname for his ex-Love Interest / ex-friend was Xion (he saw himself as Roxas). Unfortunately, that nickname turned out to be tragically appropriate. And unlike what does happen to Roxas in the game, this troper can't even get rid of the memories no matter how badly he wishes he could.
- Luminescent Blush: He's known for it among his comrades, especially since the girl he likes is one of them. Said girl even goes out of her way to force the blush every now and then.
- Older Than They Look: He's 21, but there are those who mistake him for a boy in high school.
- The Smart Guy (sometimes also The Ace) of his group.
- That's how they view him. He sees himself as more of a Genius Ditz.
- Theme Music Power-Up: He actually has a playlist in his phone named 'Powerup music', which he listens to just before he's about to do something important.
- Pandaing to the Audience: Two of his favorite heroes in DotA are Pandaren Brewmaster and Storm Spirit, both giant pandas. Not to mention, he's often called 'Panda' by his comrades.
- Papa Wolf: Also to his nephews, and to little children in general.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Is a firm believer in this.
- Running Gag: Non-comedic version, pertaining to his love interests. Among others, this man has met a girl forced into becoming a nun and two single mothers (one of whom turned out to have been traumatized into becoming a Lipstick Lesbian, the second being his current Love Interest). He's even lampshaded this trope, calling himself 'cursed' and 'a complete idiot' for the latter in particular, for not seeing The Reveal coming - and, more to the point, for still deciding that he'd accept and love them regardless of their circumstances.
- Shipper on Deck: The mother of his former Love Interest seems to be one, to his mingled pleasure and uncertainty. But then...
- Took a Level in Badass: As of late. He'd like to think so, anyway. He's had some progress, but is still in the process of invoking this trope.
- Love Redeems: He wasn't exactly evil (although another handle of his is 'Evil Panda'), but it was love for a girl (one of his twin girls, actually) that got him out of his funk. The said girl confiscating his pocket knife helped a bit, too. Has happened to him again - thanks to the woman he loves and her daughter, he has been making a conscious effort each day not to relapse to the decadent lifestyle that was once his.
- Love Made Him Stoic: Started working out even harder than ever after being blown off by said girl.
- Shrouded in Myth / Memetic Badass: If his nephew is to be believed, has achieved this status among said nephew's friends, who supposedly refer to him as his legendary uncle.
- Referring to himself as the Dominator doesn't help this, at least from the nephew's perspective.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: According to those who've heard him perform.
- Tsundere: His tsuntsun phases replace physical violence with verbal violence, but this still applies. On the flip side, he also goes into deredere mode a fair bit of the time.
- Troubled, but Cute: While the 'cute' part is rather subjective (lots of the people he meets - both women and men - agree, often comparing him favorably to a panda bear), the 'troubled' half cannot be denied. It has, however, been receding in recent months, thanks mostly to his desire to become someone who his Love Interest and her little girl deserve.
- Yandere: He sometimes gets a bit... possessive of his loved ones. Hey, at least he's honest about it, right?
- Actually, his Yandere tendencies have been fading as of late. Mostly invoked these days, even, as part of his aforementioned gym routine.