open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- One of the most famous examples is the Eyrie Productions Unlimited fanfic Neon Exodus Evangelion, written in response to Gryphon's disgust for what he felt was the pointless nihilism of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The man receives so much hatemail from enraged fanboys that if it were all paper, the rain forests would be screaming. He considers the fanfic a success.
- These days, it's generally met with either admiration or derisive laughter.
- There are even a few fanfics written that are hate fics against hate fics. An example includes Kyrie Eleison, which from the first paragraph states it was written to deconstruct fics like Neon Exodus Evangelion.
- One day, an angry Voltes V fanboy decided to take Voltron and its characters, replace their canon heroic personalities with countless straw attributes, mostly the demonization kind; get Voltes V and countless other Super Robots plus Space Sheriff Shaider to always hand the Voltron Team's asses to them; repeat the same formula for the next 84 chapters; and the internet got Voltes V Versus Voltron: The Godaikin Wars.
- The ones for Sailor Moon are the stuff of legend, especially Nav's work. Highlights include one where the Senshi have taken over the world with mind control and are all (about 5 dozen of them) killed by Samus Aran, most without even being mentioned by name, and repeated recurrences of Tuxedo Mask being the only one to put up a fight or the Sailors just giving up before the battle even starts because he's not there — despite these almost universally being based on the anime, where he doesn't even get any attacks, and can just throw roses and give speeches.
- Three started as an open Hate Fic of Frank Miller's 300. Being aware of the existence of the Helots and the abuse they got from their Spartan masters (even by Ancient standards), writer Kieron Gillen was incensed by the glorified portrayal of the Spartan warriors in 300 while the Helots weren't even mentioned, and decided to do a comic series where the image of Sparta would be as over-the-top negative as the one Persia got in 300. However, while doing more research, Gillen realized that he actually found real history more interesting than this approach, and decided to go for a more neutral view, picturing the Spartan characters as flawed, three-dimensional human beings, who were almost as much victims of their nation's militaristic culture and expectations as the Helots were of their slave condition.
- A strange case with Brewdening Love and its Expanded Universe. The fanfic in question is a Troll Fic by a Twilight fan who hates Bella. Twilight anti-fans took this fic and wrote fanfic of it, mostly featuring Brugo slash. So we have Hate Fics of a fanfic that hates on Bella and Jacob. Then, Author Erin Locklea added Revenge Fic chapters that put internet critics into the story and had them killed, so the circle is now complete.
- Not surprisingly, the controversial My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction The Conversion Bureau has a lot of them.
- The extremely controversial Fall Of Equestria, in which Equestria gets conquered by a group of Caribou and every mare is reduced to little more than sex slaves and toys to the males, has attracted such a strong Hatedom that they created a counter group dedicated to deconstructing the overall setting and another group to just downright commit wanton slaughter on the caribou. The entire premise is Not Safe for Work, so be warned.
- The Doorstop is a Deconstruction from another fanfic, The Open Door, which, if you've heard of it, likely know it's a bit... divisive for readers. Iolaus, the author, read it, and decided he could tell the story better — so he did so, flipping the perspective away from New Chaos and to the more heroic factions, as well as numerous other changes. The result is a bit more even-handed than other examples on this page, although some reviews would claim otherwise (ironically, the arguments that fans of The Open door use against this fic are also applicable to The Open Door itself).
- League of Angels: The Devil's Gambit is a fanfic that was written by the author to get revenge on a group of people who MST'd his previous work, which was also a Revenge Fic against the same people for mocking some other person's fic. The whole fic becomes a barely-comprehensible mess that combines reckless hate against his critics, a fanfic author that rejected his offer at revenge on the group, and the Trump Administration with the hero of the fic getting sexed up by multiple girls across multiple games and anime, including Fire Emblem and Akame ga Kill!.
- Right Behind and its sequel Supergeddon for Left Behind.
- Inheritance Cycle has attracted a lot of fanfiction dedicated to bashing the hell out of it, with The Storm Dragons among the most well-known examples.
being largely considered Snark Bait at best to everyone outside its intended demographichaving a breathtakingly massive (and vocal) Periphery Hatedom, unsurprisingly gets this treatment a lot, to the point where around half of the fics listed in the recs page are these.
- The Last Ringbearer for The Lord of the Rings.
- Barney's Periphery Hatedom is legendary, and sports many vitriolic hate-fics of various levels of tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps most prominent is the Day of the Barney Trilogy, wherein Barney is an Eldritch Abomination who brainwashes the children of the world into murdering their parents so he can Take Over the World.
- The Federation from Star Trek, especially after Star Trek: The Next Generation, is frequently portrayed as a semi-communist dystopia, only averting the worst horrors of the stereotype due to their Applied Phlebotinum. The website StarDestroyer.net is famous for advocating and supporting this view, as seen in this essay.
- This fanfic(?) shows how the Federation could go from the TOS to TNG in a disturbingly realistic way.
- Pretty much all Sonichu fanfics are this, the most famous being Asperchu. Most portray the city of CWCville (where the comic takes place) as a totalitarian state with Author Avatar Christian Weston Chandler as its dictator, which actually isn't too far from canon.
- This one about Penny and Aggie is ridiculously homophobic, racist, and otherwise hateful and violent... but the comments left by Penny and Aggie's readers make it worthwhile.
- Some person disappointed about Invader Zim being axed decided that it was somehow all The Fairly Oddparents' fault, and as a result, created the Dead Fic Invader Zim's Revenge. The real reasonnote was pointed out, but seemed to have been ignored.
- A truly bizarre case with My Brave Pony: Starfleet Magic, a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic-that-isn't-a-fanfic written by an author who makes no secret of his loathing for the show and its themes.
- Vathara's Embers absolutely brutalizes everyone in Avatar: The Last Airbender except the Fire Nation in general and Zuko in particular (though the Dai Li also get a few inches of whitewashing). Strangely for a Zuko-centric fic, Katara not only doesn't end up falling for the brooding Fire Prince, but gets tortured even worse than every character save Aang (whose Nation is Retconned to be Evil All Along and his canon relationship with Katara is severely damaged), stated In-Universe to be punishment for hating Zuko).
- Chunin Exam Day and Partially Kissed Hero by Perfect LionHeart (aka Jared "Skysaber" Ornstead) are both this in their core (for Naruto and Harry Potter respectively)... at least when they are not spewing his morality (given a deeply twisted definition of "morality") and sense of "justice" and revenge. Fans are divided between those who believe the guy is a genius-level writer (both fics have over 10,000 reviews) and the rest who believe he is pure evil and a deranged psychopath with very few touches of the actual canon.
- The Prayer Warriors is essentially a Bible-thumping ultra-conservative "heresy"-despising wackjob's wet dream. The entire narrative (if you can even call it that) is devoted to vilifying and brutally murdering characters from "pagan" note franchises such as Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.