open/close all folders
Tropes general to the BLEU
Here is a list of these fanfics.
- Ascended Extra: Hugo Smith, Joan's father, is usually more than just a "drunken bastard".
- Ascended Meme: Hugo having many jobs is the usual explanation for Erin's constantly changing her mind about his occupation.
- Is there one fic where Brian speaks without saying that he's the FBI ?
- Back Story: A lot is usually added to the canon material.
- Fan Nickname: Joan's father is named Hugo, (almost) always.
- A lot of the TS writers are naming Joan's mother (if she exists) Louisa.
- Filk Song: Aside from writing fics, the folks over at Twilight Sucks really like rewriting songs to be about Brewdening Love. So far, we've got:
- Sex-ah Running (Kung Fu Fighting) — here
- A Snarker's Life For Me (A Pirate's Life For Me)
- Cullen Boy (Soulja Boy)
- Three versions of Barbie Girl, two titled Mary Sue and the other Trolling Girl — Trolling Girl is here
- Gonna Be Right Back In Love (Never Gonna Give You Up)
- The Final Chapter (The Final Countdown)
- A version of Don't Stop Believin'
- A version of Bring Me To Life
- She Writes, We Are One At Last, Brewdening Love, and Mary Sue Girls (Two Worlds, You'll Be In My Heart, Son Of Man, and Strangers Like Me) — all here
- Bad Fanfic (Bad Romance)
- She Writes Such Crap (He Drives Us Bats) — here
- Her Fics Suck (I'm Still Here) — here
- I Won't Say They're In Love (I Won't Say I'm In Love) — here
- A Troll (One of Us) — here
- "Get Her Banned" and "Soon We Will Defeat the Sue" (Be a Man — Get Her banned is here, Soon We Will Defeat the Sue is here
- A filk of Hellfire (including the reprise) and of Out There — Hellfire is here, Out There is here
- A filk of Steady as the Beating Drum — here
- A filk of Witch Doctor — here
- Here on TwilightSucks (America) — here
- Brugo (Judas) — here
- A filk of Martina McBride's Independence Day — here
- A filk of Better than Revenge — here
- A filk of Alligator Sky — here
- It's Not My Fault (I Can Change) — here
- A filk of Listen With Your Heart — here
- A filk of Gay Pirates by Cosmo Jarvis
- A filk of Hank Green's song based on Looking for Alaska
- "This is not Brewdening Love ", a filk of Hank Green's song "This is not Harry Potter ".
- I'm the FBI (Bring Me To Life) — here
- Hatedom: Started as this to Brewdening Love.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Most Brugo fics (especially Puzzle's) use this to explain Brian's prolonged absence during Brewdening Love.
- Jerk Ass: Joan
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Due to Erin's Negative Continuity, Joan is described with both blue and green eyes within the original content. Some fics will keep that while others will stick to one color, namely:
- Many Of Us: Most of the authors are tropers or check out TV Tropes once in a while, so everyone has a tendency to play with, subvert, or hang lampshades on tropes.
- Official Couple: Brugo. Many fics introduce Brian earlier, or start with his introduction, just to spread the Brugo love.
- Older Than They Look: Brian usually is, to match his age to Hugo despite being able to pass for a teenager.
- Pyro Maniac: Brian usually has hints of this, due to his Moment of Awesome in BL being burning down Joan's house.
- Slash Fic: Since the Official Couple is a gay couple, this is to be expected.
- Straight Gay: Brian and Hugo.
- The Fundamentalist: Joan and Father James Holden, at least, are depicted this way 99% of the time. Other characters like Jenny and Becca can be, too, Depending on the Writer.
Return to Me
Return to Me is a one-shot fic by fellow troper PuzzleChick, centered around Brian's return to Forks and his struggling with the memories of his past relationship with Hugo.It can be found here.
Return to Me contains example of:
Inopportune Moments (a.k.a. Behind the Scenes)
Inopportune Moments (a.k.a. Behind the Scenes) is an incomplete fic by Antispectraitor, who is doggedly continuing the story despite losing 5 or so chapters when her hard drive died. Trufax.The first (and semi incomplete) chapter can be found here.
Inopportune Moments contains example of:
Most Awesome Character Contest
Most Awesome Character Contest is a one-shot fic by fellow troper PuzzleChick. The first annual "Most Awesome Character In Brewdening Love" contest takes place, with all the competition that ensues. The judges are the "crew of the S.S. Snark", i.e. the Twilight Sucks! snarkers, and Erin Locklea herself.It can be found here.
Most Awesome Character Contest contains example of:
- Ascended Meme: Yet another of Erin's moments, confusing Jacob and Fernando (as well as the misspelled Fatnando), is Played for Laughs here.
- Brian IS the FBI.
- Big Damn Heroes: The S.S. Snark crew shoot Erin's godawful drawing to save Brian and Hugo.
- Brown Note: Erin's last drawing is so hideous it would cause your eyes to spontaneously combust.
- Crack Fic: Yes. And it's awesome.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Sort of. Brian and Hugo both want to let the other win the contest, resulting in a draw.
- Medium Awareness: The characters know they're characters from a fanfic.
- Riding into the Sunset: Brian and Hugo at the end.
- Sanity Slippage: Erin goes from misspelling the characters she wants to out, to trying to out a character that doesn't exist (Bella), to drawing "extraordinarily disturbing portraits". Then she goes completely crazy and shouts nonsense during the final round.
- Basically, acting just like normal Erin.
- Taking the Bullet: Both Brian and Hugo try to do this.
Verbo et Opere
Verbo et Opere is a fic by fellow troper PuzzleChick. It starts right before chapter 27's memetic Cliffhanger "MY HOUSE WAS FIRE!" and takes place in an Alternate Universe where Brian is part of the Special Cases SHS Unit (being the FBI is only a cover), vampire-human hybrid and former lover of Hugo Smith.Here is the link to the last chapter, which includes links to the other chapters.
Verbo et Opere contains example of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Joan becomes a vampire, and Hugo has to give up on her, but Brian and Hugo manage to escape The Unit and rekindle their relationship.
- Canis Latinicus: The Unit loves this for codenames.
- Cold Sniper: What Brian thinks he's become in the Unit… until he crosses paths with Hugo.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Brian. Definitely Brian.
- Green Eyes: Joan has her mother's. Brian has green eyes as well.
- Heel Realization: Brian when he realizes Hugo loved him all along.
- Name's the Same: The hybrids, despite their name, aren't Half Human Hybrids. They're humans who haven't completed the process to turn into a vampire, and therefore are only partially a vampire. They get a bit of their powers in the process but also have to struggle with the lust for blood or emotions that would complete their mutation.
- Older Than They Look: Brian.
- Original Character: Lux and the whole Unit.
- Papa Wolf: Hugo although he's ultimately unable to protect her.
- Phobia: It's mentioned a few times that Brian was once terrified of water and that some of that fear still lingers. Word of God says this is because his parents died of drowning when he was young.
- Playing with Fire: Brian's specialty. He's code-named Agent Ardere (Ardere means to burn in Latin) for a reason.
- Rage Against the Mentor: Brian sort of pulls this against the Unit whent they go against Hugo.
- Taking the Bullet: Brian, to save Joan. In a subversion, Brian survives due to both being a hybrid and Hugo's skills as a doctor.
- The Empath: Brian is one, although he can only sense a specific type of despair.
Stalker Evidence Diary
Stalker Evidence Diary is a fic by Chibithulhu, AKA troper Fire Yoshi. It is a retelling of Brewdening Love from Edward's point of view, through a diary he writes as evidence for the police. In this fic's continuity, Edward is used to crazy Mary Sue stalkers, as it is set after Twila The Girl Who Waz In Luv With A Vampyre, and when he sees Joan, he recognizes a new stalker.It can be found on the Twilight Sucks thread.
Stalker Evidence Diary contains example of:
- Angrish: Joan, when Edward tells her he and Jenny have to talk to her.Joan: Ohmygoddidshestealyouawayfrommethat[BITCHITOLDherIlikedyouIhopeyoudieyoumanstealingwhoregotohellsinnerdieJennydiedie''DIIIIE''!
- Ascended Meme: In the original Brewdening Love, Erin sometimes used her name instead of Joan's. Here, Edward notices this and it (understandably) creeps him out.
- Also the "Hey I'm everyone, Joan !"
- "OHMYGOD- But not God God 'cause that's blasphemy FUCK OFF SINNARS" is basically a better-spelled version of Erin's rantings.
- Berserk Button: A few.
- Don't even think about being around Edward with Joan.
- Jasper goes kinda nuts after Maria dies.
- Call Forward: Joan screaming "Die Jenny DIE" is apparently normal, considering Chapter 37 of the original fic.
- Deadpan Snarker: Edward has shades of this on a good day.
- Diary: Written as one.
- Drives Like Crazy: Alice.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: Twice almost in a row. One is quoted below at the Painting The Mediuml entry, and the other is:Joan: Hey I'm everyone, Joan!! And I'm currently dating your spunky bro here!(Yes, she said that.)
- Overly Long Name: Edward notices how most crazy stalkers he meets have one.
- Mythology Gag: Rosalie's canon backstory is compared to Edward's situation, as mentioned below, and Jasper's goldfish is named Maria, after the vampire who turned him.
- Painting the Medium: This quote in particular:Joan: Ward is MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111(Yes, she actually said all those exclamation points. And the ones.)
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Jenny to Joan.
- Shout-Out: Rosalie's backstory is compared to Edward's situation.
- Also one to Twila in the backstory.
- Stalking Is Love: Completely averted.
- Stalker with a Crush: Joan.
- Troll: Emmett and Alice further perpetuate Joan's delusions by pretending they are vampires.
Brooding Lust is a fic by Talys Alankil, a.k.a. fellow troper Alarielle. It's a retelling of the original fic, adding logic, a coherent plot, Character Development, Fanon, and a good dose of grammar and spelling. It reprises the Unit and the concept of hybrids from Verbo et Opere (among other, smaller pieces of fanon) and adds original creations.It now has a sequel, called Brooding Impostor, centered on another Mary Sue, Ariana Vampire Queen, but still continuing with the main characters of Brooding Lust.It can be found here.
Brooding Lust contains example of:
- Action Girl: Jenny loves sports and martial arts, and is particularly good at fencing.
- Adorkable: Jacob.
- Ascended Meme: The Bus to Apocalypse from chapter three, a typo in the original fic, is turned into an actual nickname for the school bus that almost runs over Joan.
- Bad Ass: Agent Parere can easily beat vampires.
- Bad Ass Normal: Lynne can beat vampire while being fully human and having only known about vampires for a week.
- Betty and Veronica: Jacob and Emmett to Jenny, who notices it.
- Bilingual Bonus: One of the chapters is named "Savoir", in reference to Erin's typoed chapter title. In the chapter, Joan learns Edward's true nature, and "savoir" is the French word for "to know".
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Lewis Donna, Ditzy Genius, also studies vampires.
- Darker and Edgier
- Deadpan Snarker: Britney (especially since her POV chapter is entirely devoted to bashing Joan), James and Agent Parere are the most serious offenders.
- Determinator: Lynne will do anything to avenge her daughter.
- The Ditz: Joan mentions several times that Esme "MC" Cullen appears to be really stupid.Esme (after Emmett Cullen, her adoptive son, was just killed by the rest of the family): Cookies?
- That scene is also a reference to the same scene in Brewdening Love where Esme does indeed enter the room with cookies after Emmett's murder; there's more emphasis placed on it here.
- As of chapter twelve, it seems like there may be something more to Esme than that, considering the respect Carlisle seems to show her.
- Now confirmed that she was (and is) indeed Obfuscating Stupidity
- Ditzy Genius: Jenny's father.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Agent Lux.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Lynne mentions a few times she can be very seductive if she wants to be.
- Exact Words: The Unit uses "blood pacts" which rely heavily on this. James has learned to pay attention to it, of course.
- Extreme Doormat: Esme seems like one.
- Green Eyes: Joan has her mother's, inspired by Verbo et Opere. Agent Parere has very bright green eyes, too.
- It's Personal: Hugo tells Lynne to be careful and not focus on the Cullens too much… until he learns Joan is dating their prime suspect, Edward Cullen.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Agent Lux.
- Killed Off for Real: Britney. In the prologue, no less.
- Now Agent Lux as well.
- And James.
- Magitek: The Unit's equipment.
- Marry Them All: Eventually, Emmett, Jacob and Jenny agree to this.
- Mystical White Hair: Agent Parere has silver hair due to being a hybrid.
- Name's the Same: The hydbrids aren't Half-Human Hybrids. See the Our Vampires Are Different entry below and the Verbo et Opere section, since the concept is taken from there.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Agent Parere is a witch, a vampire hybrid and head of the Unit.
- One of Us: Jenny. The author, too (duh, he created this very page).
- Original Character: Britney and Lynne Epieu, John Stark, and Agent Parere are the most important of them.
- Our Vampires Are Different: The author made up new vampire mythos, only using the Brewdening Love canon information — which is not a lot — as a starting point. Vampires can either have to drink blood or "eat" souls. The more they drink or eat, the more "honor" they gain, which increases their naturally enhanced strength, speed, and stamina. Honor also serves as a hierarchy, since every vampire can feel another's honor. A human gets turned into a vampire by drinking a vampire's blood, dying, and in turn feeding off of another human; however, when a vampire feeds on a human without killing them, they can also turn into "hybrids", which gives them parts of the vampire's abilities.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Agent Parere wears one when she isn't working in the field.
- Really 700 Years Old: James. He comes from a time where surnames were only for the noblemen. And he learned to ignore pain two thousand years ago.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Britney exists for the sole purpose of introducing Joan and Edward before being rather speedily offed.
- Shout-Out: Trying to, at least. Some of them are more obscure than others.
- To A Song of Ice and Fire: The prologue (namely the point-of-view character from the prologue dying at the end of it) and the point-of-view character system, as well as John Stark (Composite Character of Jon Snow and Robb Stark in terms of appearance and personality).
- To Vampire Diaries: The method of turning a person into a vampire (has to drink vampire blood, die and then drink human blood). And Alaric Saltzmann, though he is a biology teacher here.
- To The Wheel of Time: The idea for the vampires' "honor" system is based on the Aes Sedai hierarchy.
- A shout-out to this cover of the song ''Eternal Love''.
- Brian's introduction is all but identical to his one in "Verbo Et Opere".
- The Cheerleader: Britney. She's quite aware of it, noting that Joan may be the one person capable of out-bitching her.
- The Chessmaster: Parere. Definitely Parere.
- The Empath: The vampire empaths. And the hybrids created by those empaths.
- The Reveal: For the reader only: Emmett implies in chapter four that the Cullens clearly aren't Christian. Joan doesn't know it, however.
- She does now, but clearly doesn't care anymore.
- A more classic Reveal is Agent Parere's identity. Which was the subject of WMG beforehand.
- The Unfavourite: Emmett, who used to be a Mook working for the Volturi, is now little more than the Cullens' Dumb Muscle.
- Third Line, Some Waiting: There are three main plotlines. They of course blend together more and more as the story goes.
- Joan's twu wuv with Edward.
- Lynne's investigation of the murder of her daughter.
- The Unit's attempt to take down the Cullen coven.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl : Jenny likes sports and is looked down on by Joan because of this.
- Unreliable Narrator: Each chapter is written from the point of view of various characters, and each of them has their own interpretation of what they see, as well. For instance, Joan is amazed by the Cullens' house, while Lynne immediately notices how fake it looks.
Brooding Impostor contains example of:
- Action Mom: Tim's mom, Cassie, is a witch who helps the fight against Ariana.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Tim and his mother found something out about the Cullens and fled Forks. They also crossed paths with Ariana before that, and she's now back in their life. Complete with Laser-Guided Amnesia for Tim.
- Mark's backstory also counts.
- Killed Off for Real: Another character dies in the prologue. This time, it's Damien Thorn.
- Yandere: Ariana, big time. Seems to be a mix of both possessive AND obsessive.
An Unnamed Fic
This fic has yet to be named, and is written by Hlessi-Roo, A.K.A Falconstar. It focuses on three animal sidekicks of Mary Sues from various universes: Gwethelyn the otter, Adlef the dolphin, and Jake the ferret (well, two sidekicks of the local Mary Sue and a villain's sidekick) being turned Mary-Sue Hunter by a special FBI unit. Along with Brian, they go to the "bubble" of a dangerous Mary Sue… Guess who it is.It can be found in the Twilight Sucks thread, or here.
This fic contains example of:
- Canis Latinicus: The FBI uses this.
- Cool Gate: The portals.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially Jake, it seems. Brian has hints of this, too.
- Hive Mind: The "drones" (i.e. characters not fully fleshed out) sort of have this: they have no real purpose in life unless and until the Mary Sue gives them one.
- Improbable Age: Brian, instead of being older than he looks, is indeed very young, in his early twenties. This was intentional on the part of the FBI, who "wanted people who didn't show up on the political radar for this mission".
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Joan usually has (very bright) Green Eyes, but they sometimes appear blue. This is, as mentioned in the general tropes, a Shout-Out to Erin's lack of continuity.
- Mary-Sue Hunter: The whole premise.
- Non-Human Sidekick: What the three main characters (and many unnamed characters) used to be. One of them was actually part of a Cute Animal Crowd.
- Overly Long Name: Naturally, all the Mary Sues have one.
- Sidekick: Jenny to Joan. She's even under her control.
- Soft Water: Averted. Adlef and Gwethelyn are hurt as badly by falling into the ocean as Brian and Jake by falling into the woods (It Makes Sense in Context).
- Talking Animals: And singing, too.
- Take That: At Justin Bieber.And even though a Justin Bieber song didn't really count as a "ballad".
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: To kill one of the Mary Sues, they blow up the entire forest.
The Impossible Dream
The Impossible Dream is a fic by Anya The Purple, creating backstory for Hugo and Brian's teenage years in Forks, with Hugo's stepfather being our favorite Father James Holden.It can be found here. More chapters are available on the Twilight Sucks forum if you're willing to browse it.
The Impossible Dream contains example of:
- Adorkable: Hugo.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mary, Holden's daughter, has a mild case of this.
- Crossover : With ''Buffy.
- Love Quadrangle: Hugo is clearly in love with Brian but is too shy to admit it, Brian is Oblivious to Love , Mary has an immediate crush on Brian and Erin has had a crush on Hugo for years and pretends they are dating.
- Hugo and Brian are now dating, but the situation is no less tricky considering Erin is pregnant with Riley's child after a one night stand, yet still seems obsessed with Hugo.
- Missing Mom: Hugo's mother died of Leukemia three years before the fic begins. Mary's mom isn't there, either.
- One of Us: The fic started out as a take on a WMG from the BrewdeningLove page.
- Only Sane Man: Hugo, before Brian comes to town.
- Taking The Dodgeball: Brian does it for Mary, as the gentleman he is.
- The Rival: Carlisle to Brian.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Father James Holden preaches like this. Weirdly enough, he doesn't seem to talk like this the rest of the time, implying it's actually part of their Cult.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It's implied that many girls (and obviously Hugo) want to date Brian.
- Shout-Out: The title to Man of La Mancha and the appearance of the Initiative from Buffy, among others.
- Including Philip Pullman and many, many musicals .
- Actually, the amount of Man of La Mancha references are also a Shout-Out to Going Bovine by Libba Bray .
- On Deviantart only, one that doubles as a Take That to the original Brewdening Love: the "love heart" dividers. And of course, Erin being a character. And another one being Father James Holden quoting word-for-word what he says in BL.
- The Fundamentalist: Most of Forks is turned into this. Father James Holden is especially bad, but even he's nowhere as crazy as Carlisle and Erin, who nearly murdered Hugo when he admitted to not believing in God.
- The '90s: When it is set.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Mary, Hugo's stepsister. In his own words, "It wasn't that she was mean to him—and that was what made living with her so hard. She honestly meant well."
- Like Brother and Sister: Carlisle and Erin are often seen as a duo, though there's no romance between them.
Another Unnamed Fic
This is a one-shot Brugo fic by Warhound. It is set after the events of Brewdening Love, where Brian and Hugo have escaped the madness that is living anywhere near Joan.It can be found here.
This fic contains example of:
Monster is a one-shot fic by fellow troper PuzzleChick. It takes place after chapter 37, when Joan got the Volturi to kill Brian and Jenny.It can be found here.
Monster contains example of:
- Anyone Can Die: Poor Brian and Jenny. It's implied Hugo will die, too.
- Cure Your Gays: What Joan attempts by having Brian murdered.
- Darker and Edgier
- Downer Ending: Hugo kills Joan, Edward sends Nickolas after him to avenge her, and either way Brian and Jenny are still dead.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: A very weird example: Joan basically pulls this on her father, stating he will only love her now.
- "Well Done, Daughter" Girl: Joan, weirdly.Joan: Aren't you proud of me? Tell me how proud you are.
Truelove Fight Chapter 2
Truelove Fight Chapter 2 is a fic by chibithulhu, a.k.a. fellow troper Fire Yoshi. It's a (parody) sequel to the Brewdening Love Spin-Off Truelove Fight, imitating Erin's style.It can be found here.
Truelove Fight Chapter 2 contains example of :
- Dear Negative Reader: A parody of how Erin starts every fic she writes.
- Flat "What.": An "accidental" one, due to lack of proper punctuation.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Of course.
- Shock and Awe: Pikachu, unlike in chapter one.
- Stealth Parody: Unless you read the author note (or this page), you could easily believe this is actually Erin's work. Until the end.
- Artistic License - Geography: Once more, the characters drive from Forks all the way to Italy to go see the Volturi.
Fight Truelove! is a fic by Fyra. It is a retelling of Truelove Fight, the Brewdening Love Spin-Off including Pokémon, and told from the point of view of the Pikachu that is supposedly the villan of the fic.The first (and currently only) chapter can be found here.
Fight Truelove ! contains example of:
- Backstory: Pikachu starts by explaining how the fanfic world works.
- Compelling Voice: What the author is for a character.
- Fan Nickname: Snarkachu, for the Pikachu from Truelove Fight.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Going to the Retirement sub-world is apparently this.
- Mary-Sue Hunter: A group of Pokémon and a Digimon. They end up recruiting Pikachu.
- Medium Awareness: It's Pikachu's job to star in Crossover fanfics, so obviously this trope applies.
- Paper People: Pikachu views Edward as if he was made of cardboard. Doubles as a Visual Pun, to mock the characters being two-dimensional.
- Power Limiter: The author puts one on Pikachu.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: How Erin and the Brewdening Love characters speak. The other characters (and the narration, being Pikachu) speak normally.
- Hub Level: The aptly-named Fiction Hub.
- The Voice: Erin materializes as this.
- Voices Are Mental: Joan, being an Author Avatar, has Erin's voice.
Nightmare Moon is a fic by Graceful Lament, a.k.a. Esoteric Angel. It could be considered a Twilight / Brewdening Love Crossover (yes, that's possible), taking place at some point in the Twilight canon… with a twist: the Twilight books and movies were made and released, giving the Cullens a huge fandom. One of these Fangirls is none other than our sweet Joan St. Sanctuary Louisa-Smith, who thinks God intended for Edward to be hers.It can be found here.
Nightmare Moon contains example of:
- Action Girl: Regina, on top of the female vampires and werewolf.
- Ax-Crazy: Regina has hints of this.
- Badass Boast: Regina does one. A crazy one, but still."WHO DO YOU THINK I AM? I'M REGINA FREAKIN' CULLEN! NOW SHOW YOURSELF! OR ARE YOU TOO SCARED BY MY OBVIOUS AWESOMENESS?"
- Badass Normal: Regina. Brian, too, but that's usual for him by now.
- Big "NO!": Joan, when her father grounds her and takes away her cell phone and Internet privileges.
- Bowdlerise: Joan doesn't swear in here at all, even when quoting the original material. Not that this is a bad thing.
- Bunny Ears Vampire Hunter: Regina. Literally."But I always wear these when I have to break down a door. That and my bunny ears. It's what I do."
- Cloudcuckoolander: Regina."I think I just imprinted on my flamethrower."
- Cool Car: The tank-van.
- The Bus to Apocalypse as well.
- Deadpan Snarker: All the Cullens to some extent. And Bella, surprisingly.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Ward, of course.
- Fiery Redhead: Regina.
- Genki Girl: Alice is supposed to be this. Mike even says it word-for-word.
- Hypocritical Humor: Joan thinking "What kind of name was Regina?" Keep in mind that her name is Joan St. Sanctuary Louisa-Smith.
- I Call It "Vera": Regina's flamethrower's name is Fred. He doesn't like Jasper very much.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: MCR blows! Muse is where it's at!
- Killed Off for Real: Bella and Charlie.
- Les Yay: Rosalie and Leah, of all people.
- Manipulative Bastard: Anne Withcombe, the mayor's assistant, is the one coming up with all the strategies to marketize the vampires as much as possible.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: They call Jasper the God of War. There's a very good reason for that.
- One of Us: Regina.
- Original Character: Regina Cullen.
- Playing with Fire: Regina. She also converted the other Cullens (specifically Emmett) to this.
- Room Full of Crazy: Joan's room, sort of. She has an Edward doll among other things. And she talks to the doll.
- Shout-Out: Well, excuuuuse me, princess!
- Stay in the Kitchen: According to Leah, what women in La Push are supposed to do.
- Stepford Smiler: All the Cullens, especially Alice with her cheerful persona.
- Stupid Sexy Vampires: What Charlie thinks word-for-word. And then goes on to have a disturbing image of Esme.
- Take That: This exchange, at Twilight:Joan: You know, I had a dream about you last night!Emmett: And then you wrote it down, and got it published, and made a boatload of money off it.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Leah and Rosalie, who are also a couple.
- Wish Fulfillment: Joan writes fanfics of being in a couple with Edward. Said fics sound very much like Brewdening Love.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Edward, as much as he'd like to, can't be rude to a girl. Of course, Carlisle wouldn't appreciate it if he was, so he's also forced into this trope a bit.
Stay By Me
Stay By Me is PuzzleChick's sequel to her previous fic Return to Me (see above). It takes place right after the previous fic's ending.It can be found here.
Stay By Me contains example of:
- Accidental Innuendo: Hugo tells Brian to hide in the bedroom when Joan comes home.
- All Just a Dream: Brian thought it was one for a second.
- Green Eyes: Brian and Joan, as in all other fics by Puzzle.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Brian tries to do it again, but Hugo won't hear any of it.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: On a kitchen table. With Joan upstairs.
- Not a Morning Person: Brian
A Bitter Eden
A Bitter Eden is another fic by fellow troper PuzzleChick. In it, the vampires have decided to Take Over the World from humans. Hugo lives in Forks, turned by Father James Holden into a walled fortress of Christianity ("proven" as the "true religion" since it repels vampires) and trying not to question the isolationist regime, while Brian is the son of San Francisco's leader of the resistance against the vampires.The first chapter can be found here. Other chapters follow in the thread. All the chapters can also be found compiled here.The first and second parts have been finished, and a third part, titled "Revenant of the Serpent" is currently being posted.
A Bitter Eden contains examples of:
- After the End: Sort of.
- Apocalypse How: Planetary-scale, somewhere between Class 2 and 3 — societal and species extinction.
- Arranged Marriage: What happens if you don't find a spouse yourself by your twentieth birthday.
- Big Damn Hero : Brian saves Hugo when he goes beyond the wall.
- Break the Cutie: Hugo gets broken over and over and over again.
- Childhood Friends: Hugo and Louisa.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Brian doesn't hesitate to drop the bomb, both in the dialogue and in the narration from his point of view.
- Crazy Awesome: Brian blows up Forks' gates when they don't let him in. If that doesn't qualify him for this trope, nothing does.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Father James Holden. Seriously.
- Disappeared Dad: Hugo's.
- He's Just Hiding: Brian's death is believed to be fake by… pretty much everyone.
- Turns out, everyone was right. But he wasn't safe and sound either.
- Hidden Elf Village: Forks becomes this because of Father James Holden.
- La Résistance: Brian's mother leads one, and ther groups are mentioned. According to Father James Holden, they are getting slaughtered.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Brian tells Hugo all about the resistance. Guess who Hugo goes and shares this information with? Sure, it seemed like the right thing to do until it led to Richard's death.
- Oblivious to Love: Hugo, definitely. He thinks Brian questioning him about his relationship with Louisa is because he's interested in the woman. Of course, it only makes sense considering Hugo's upbringing.
- Playing with Fire: Brian's mother did this for a living as a pyrotechnic, before using it to kill vampires. (And passed the habit on to Brian.)
- Precision F-Strike: Hugo doesn't swear much. When he does, oh crap.
- Reduced to Ratburgers: Brian said the resistance reached this point once.
- Shirtless Scene: When Hugo treats Brian's gunshot wounds. The first of more than a few.
- Take Over the World: The vampires mostly did.
- The Fundamentalist: A lot appeared because of the vampires.
- The Matchmakers: A real institution in Forks; they'll get you at your twentieth birthday.
- There Is Only One Bed: In Hugo's room.
- Too Cool to Live: Richard Hahnel
- We Have to Get the Bullet Out: Partly justified due to lack of modern medicine, partly played for suspense.
- With a Friend and a Stranger: Louisa as the friend, Brian as the stranger.
In the Garden of Shadows contains examples of:
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Hugo to Brian, after Brian was attacked by empaths at Camp Three.
- Apocalypse How: Camp Three. Regional, but with a class 3 severity.
- Broken Tears: Brian, when he realizes he's been fed on by empaths and will have to be killed.
- Closet Key: Brian is the key for Hugo.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Brian's is explored in more detail.
- Disaster Scavengers: Pretty much all of the San Francisco camps are this at some point or another.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Hugo does quite a bit of staring at Brian long before any feelings are admitted.
- Ethical Slut: A lot of the rebels sleep around, and when you're trying to repopulate the world, it's rather encouraged.
- Evil Former Friend: Nickolas. Less evil than just bitter, since Brian killed his brother.
- Happily Adopted: Charlie.
- Oblivious to Love: Hugo, much more so. Causes quite a bit of angst too.
- The Charmer: Andrew
- Troubled, but Cute: Andrew flat out says Brian might be crazy, but he's still hot.
- Wrench Wench: Charlie
Revenant of the Serpent contains examples of:
Facing the Sue
Facing the Sue is a "Fan"fic by Crazynekokitten on deviantART in which Brian returns to Forks to rescue Richie Smith (not being from the Twilight Sucks forums, the author of the fic didn't assign Mr. Smith the name Hugo) from Joan, the Mary Sue in question.It can be found here.
Tropes in Facing the Sue include:
- Ascended Meme: Brian drives to Canada? Where?I don't know, but it's like a city or something, try MapQuest!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Brian comments on Joan's horrible grammar.Brian winced from the punctuation abuse and caps rape.
- Painting the Medium: Many things are written in Erin's style, then corrected.
Exit Wounds is a fic by holidaze, a short one-shot describing Brian and Hugo's separation long before the events of Brewdening Love.It can be found here.
Tropes in Exit Wounds include:
Surprise Visit is a fic by Talys Alankil, a.k.a. Alarielle, depicting Brian and Hugo's first time, with Continuity Nods to Stay By Me and The Impossible Dream.It can be found here.
Tropes in Surprise Visit include:
- Call Forward: Hugo mentions "sparkling, blood-drinking angels" that Erin will send after Brian, as a joke. It happens (if you subscribe to Erin's idea that the vampires are angels) in chapter 37 of Brewdening Love.
- Lighter and Softer: This fic is described as "pure, unleashed Brugo fluff". It's definitely Lighter and Softer than Talys' other fic, Brooding Lust.
- Love Epiphany: This fic describes Brian's Love Epiphany for Hugo, and potentially Hugo's for Brian as well.
- No Name Given: Hugo's mother is referred to as such or as Mrs. Smith.
- Product Placement / Shout-Out: The SNES and American Final Fantasy II.
Grá mo Chroí
Grá mo Chroí is a fic by KnightofWind (Raidou). This fic takes the characters of Brewdening Love in a fantasy setting and includes cameos by the other authors of the Expanded Universe.The prologue can be found here.
Tropes in Grá mo Chroí include:
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Subverted; Joan/Siún is technically a princess and makes everything worse.
- Playing with Fire: Brian/Brion, resident Pyro Maniac of the BLEU, becomes a fire mage here.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Hugo/Eoghan goes to search for the man who can save his kingdom from the vampires.
- Theme Naming: The main characters (and the fic's title) are named in Gaelic.
- The Cameo: The other EU writers in chapter one.
- The Wise Prince: Hugo/Eoghan
- Warrior Prince: Hugo/Eoghan defended the kingdom for many years against vampires.
Yet Another Unnamed Fic
This fic by Puzzle Chick was an entry for the first "Brugo contest". While she did not name it, she said that if she did, she'd name it "FLUFF, FLUFF EVERYWHERE". It's about Brian and Hugo going to New York to get married.It can be found here.
Tropes in it include:
- Lighter and Softer: Look at the unofficial title.
Bonfire of Sparkles
Bonfire of Sparkles is a fic by Talys Alankil, a.k.a. Alarielle, and is an alternate version of the events from chapter 28 onwards, when Brian and Hugo meet for the first time. It rejects the usual Fanon that Brian and Hugo knew each other for a long time, and makes Brian closer to his original age (since in Brewdening Love he's in high school with Joan). It's half-Crack Fic, half-fluff.It can be found here.
Tropes in Bonfire of Sparkles include:
- Ascended Meme: Plenty.Joan: OH MY FUCKING GOD — but not god God 'cause that's blasphemy, so fuck off sinnars — You can't leave me! I'm the most sexah girl in the universe! You have to bow down to my will! NO PARTY HAT KITTENS FOR YOU! I hope the Bus to Apocalypse will ram into you!
- Glass-Shattering Sound: Joan's screams make the windows shake.
- Painting the Medium: To illustrate how much of a Cloudcuckoolander Joan is, she and Edward speak like they do in Brewdening Love.
- Including randomly saying "1111" in the middle of an exclamation point rant.
- Religion of Evil: Sort of. The Cullens and Volturi end up being not vampires, but leaders of a cult of people who think they're vampires, drinking human blood and covering their bodies in glitter.
Snap is a fic by Chibithulhu, a.k.a. Fire Yoshi. It continues the original Brewdening Love after chapter 37.It can be found here.
Tropes in Snap include:
- Bittersweet Ending: More bitter than sweet, actually: Joan ends up completely insane, having almost killed her father and being herself almost killed by Lynne. It would be downright a Downer Ending if not for the fact that… well, it's still Joan.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: Joan's, because she killed Jenny in it.
- Darker and Edgier
- Sanity Slippage: What happens to Joan.
- Shout-Out: To Brooding Lust above, with the inclusion of Lynne Epieu.
Rediscovery is a fic by Puzzle Chick. It was written in response to an open challenge/dare for someone to write smut fiction, and it is.It can be found here.
Tropes in Rediscovery include:
After a failed birthday
After a failed birthday is a fic by TalysAlankil / Alarielle, written for the Erinversary 2012 (Erin Locklea's birthday — on deviantArt, at least). It was written one chapter a day for the week of the "contest" surrounding the event. The fic crosses over Brewdening Love, the Twilight canon and Talys's own Broodingverse and tells the story of wht happens after Joan's failed birthday party.
Tropes in After a failed birthday include:
- Ascended Memes: Should be expected in a BLEU fic. Cow Voldemort, the Deer Lord and the Bus to Apocalypse all show up, for instance.
- Big Damn Heroes: Brian and the Unit team.
- Crossover: With the Twilight canon — yes, Brewdening Love is so removed from the canon that it's possible to cross over the two. Later on, it also crosses over with Harry Potter and Pokémon.
- Les Yay: Between Jenny and Joan.
- Noodle Incident: Hugo's house burned down at some point in the past. Also counts as an Ascended Meme.
- Oblivious to Love: Joan to Jenny's crush.
- The Cameo: Even though some of these are main characters, there presence itself is enough to count as one.
- The Matchmaker: Joan thinks she is this to Dan and Jenny. She's wrong.