Lets Play: Harshly Critical
An older logo.
HarshlyCritical (real name John) is an ambitious, inquisitive YouTube LetsPlayer
who specializes in horror games. Unlike most Let's Players of this genre, John tends to give clear, decently thought-out commentary about the aspects of the game rather than scream at anything remotely scary. HarshlyCritical is known for his excellent choice of games, which range from low-budget Indie titles to professional games. His fans are called "critical viewers".
He has an official website
as well as a Facebook page
. And, of course, his YouTube channel
Games HarshlyCritical Has Finished
Incomplete Let's Plays
His Let's Play videos include instances of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: In Silence Of The Sleep, John is annoyed to find brush script text in the game, then he reads what it says: "Heart is where the food is". It made him laugh and say this trope almost word by word.
- Angrish: Happens on occasion. Most notably in a Cry of Fear episode when he forgets to save and dies from a single gunshot, forcing him back to an old checkpoint. Heavy frustration ensues.
- Berserk Button: Harsh's alter ego Justine tends to get "angsty" whenever John forgets a tinderbox in the Amnesia custom stories.
- Catchphrase: "Think critically."
- Deadpan Snarker: HarshlyCritical tends to get critical over viewers who excessively criticize his gaming skill. He satirized these "hypercritical viewers" in this memorable video.
- Fan Community Nicknames: He has referred to his fans as "critical viewers."
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He played Kingdom Hearts with one of his close friends. The video was a temporary departure from the horror genre.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: John is capable of voicing Justine in a convincing female voice. Some of his RPG Maker playthroughs have him voice each character in a different tone of voice.
- Verbal Tic: When anticipating a Jump Scare, he tells the environment to "Shut it..."
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: In the Call of Cthulhu walkthrough, the game glitched so that an important event required to progress didn't activate. Harsh eventually had to download a save file online to fix the issue.
- Also, the audio in the second-to-last episode of the Condemned playthrough was missing. John has still not fixed that issue.
- A couple episodes of F.E.A.R. had the audio missing as well.
- He managed to get to night 5 of Five Nights at Freddy's but the footage was unusable because his mic was off the whole time.
Til' next time, think critically.