The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Death Fic
by Rated PonyStar.
A year after Twilight’s coronation, she’s murdered by a jealous Blueblood and his conspirators, believing her to be trying to usurp Celestia. The fic picks up four months later, as Celestia comes out of mourning to visit her student’s grave one last time.
The story is currently complete, and can be read here
. A sequel, titled Aftermath of a Fallen Star
, is now available to be read.
This fic contains examples of:
- 10-Minute Retirement: Celestia threatens to give up her throne after it cost her so much. Luna talks her out of it.
- Antagonist in Mourning: While he and Twilight never fully became friends, Discord does end up feeling sorrow for her loss, mostly out of respect as a Worthy Opponent.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Not across the board, but Blueblood and his conspirators certainly fit.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Celestia, full stop. She’s not so kind and motherly when you've killed her child.
- Birth-Death Juxtaposition: Twilight's mom became pregnant about a month after Twilight died. Her mom figures she gained this life in exchange for the one lost.
- Dead Guy on Display: Twilight is preserved in a glass coffin.
- Divine Parentage: Blueblood is descended from the first Blueblood, a knight, and Celestia herself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Twilight's new position apparently sparked a wave of backlash amongst the people with the more tolerant ones not as vocal. A little like how the fandom reacted to this event, eh?
- Drowning My Sorrows: Rainbow has begun drinking in the wake of Twilight's death due to her Parting Words Regret.
- Dying Dream: Rainbow's drinking eventually ends up giving her alcohol poisoning causing her to have one of these where she sees all of Ponyville mourning her death. This is enough to put an end to her alcoholism.
- Fantastic Racism: It’s mentioned that Twilight’s planned reformations included more toleration of other races. The nobles didn’t like that.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: See 10-Minute Retirement.
- Heroic BSOD: Celestia spends four months in one.
- She's Just Hiding: This is Trixie's initial reaction when she first hears about the assassination. It's not until she sees Spike mourning Twilight at her funeral that she's forced to acknowledge the truth.
- Kill It with Fire: Celestia orders Blueblood and his conspirators to be burned at the stake. Because that’s as painful a punishment as she can legally give.
- I Have No Son: Gallant Heart’s parents disown him for his part in killing Twilight, burning all his pictures except one his brother manages to save.
- It's All My Fault: Celestia blames herself for Twilight’s death.
- Like a Daughter to Me: Twilight to Celestia. Luna admits she thought of her as a sister.
- Offing the Offspring: Not a direct son, but Blueblood is descended from Celestia’s children. That doesn’t save him.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Twilight’s parents, natch. Celestia, too, has outlived at least three.
- Parental Substitute: Spike saw Twilight as his mother. No points for guessing he takes it as hard as Celestia.
- Parting Words Regret: The day before Twilight's death, she and Rainbow Dash got into an argument over her recommending that Rainbow not be immediately put on the Wonderbolts due to her Hair-Trigger Temper. The last words the pegasus ever said to Twilight was that she hated her.
- Pietà Plagiarism: Celestia to Twilight.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Celestia gives one to Blueblood and his fellow conspirators.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Gladius Stride, a Solar Guard, is continually harassed for being the brother of one of Twilight’s assassins. Even Celestia is guilty of hating him until the end, when she makes him her personal guard.
- Regal, the nephew of one of the conspirators, is constantly harassed and bullied at his Manehattan high school for his connection to the assassination, despite the best efforts of Cheerilee, who transferred to the school to get away from the grief surrounding Ponyville following Twilight's death. What makes it worse is that the father of one of his two main tormentors actually encourages the bullying on the grounds that "the brat needs to learn his kind can't get away with murdering just because somepony doesn't like what they do." He eventually crosses the Despair Event Horizon after the bullying goes to far and shoots himself in the classroom right in front of his classmates and a horrified Cheerilee, who resigns from the school to return to Ponyville soon after.
- Sketchy Successor: Blueblood’s lineage went from noble and good knights and Celestia herself to... Blueblood.
- Tragic Keepsake: Star Swirl the Bearded’s Guide to the Arcane Arts, the first book Celestia gave Twilight.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Some of the conspirators honestly believe they were saving Celestia from a potential usurper.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Luna gives one to Celestia about her 10-Minute Retirement.
- You Should Have Died Instead: Twilight Velvet accuses Celestia of this in her grief. Though once she calms down she apologizes.