Fanfic: The Assassination Of Twilight Sparkle
The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Death Fic
by Rated PonyStar.
A year after Twilight’s coronation, she’s murdered by a jealous Blueblood and his conspirators, believing her to be trying to usurp Celestia. The fic picks up four months later, as Celestia comes out of mourning to visit her student’s grave one last time.
The story is currently complete, and can be read here
. A sequel, titled Aftermath of a Fallen Star
, is now available to be read.
This fic contains examples of:
- 10-Minute Retirement: Celestia threatens to give up her throne after it cost her so much. Luna talks her out of it.
- Antagonist in Mourning: While he and Twilight never fully became friends, Discord does end up feeling sorrow for her loss, mostly out of respect as a Worthy Opponent.
- Likewise, Trixie. Her chapter in the sequel is titled Farewell, My Rival.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Not across the board, but Blueblood and his conspirators certainly fit.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Celestia, full stop. She’s not so kind and motherly when you've killed her child.
- Birth-Death Juxtaposition: Twilight's mom became pregnant about a month after Twilight died. Twilight Velvet figures she gained this life in exchange for the one lost.
- Body Horror: The pegasus conspirators had their wings amputated before the sentencing. Similarly, the unicorns had their horns removed.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Five royal guards conspired in the plot to kill Twilight.
- Dead Guy on Display: Twilight is preserved in a glass coffin.
- Declaration of Protection: Princess Celestia promised Twilight that she'd keep her safe if things got worse. Her failure to do so led to her four-month Heroic BSOD.
- Dirty Coward: By the time Blueblood is brought before Celestia, he's begging for mercy and someone to help him.
- Divine Parentage: Blueblood is descended from the first Blueblood, a knight, and Celestia herself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Twilight's new position apparently sparked a wave of backlash amongst the people with the more tolerant ones not as vocal. A little like how the fandom reacted to this event, eh?
- Drowning My Sorrows: Rainbow has begun drinking in the wake of Twilight's death due to her Parting Words Regret.
- Driven to Suicide: Poor Regal...
- Flash Sentry decides to do this in order to be with Twilight again.
- Dying Dream: Rainbow's drinking eventually ends up giving her alcohol poisoning causing her to have one of these where she sees all of Ponyville mourning her death. This is enough to put an end to her alcoholism.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Stag may be a torturer, but he does not like the idea of hurting an innocent child.
- Et Tu, Gallant Heart?: Evening Glory, the new captain, is horrified to learn of Gallant Heart's participation in the assassination.
"I can't believe it, Gallant Heart... the Gallant Heart. He’s always been loyal, his family has been in the royal guard since it was founded. Shining Armor picked him as one of his best stallions at his wedding! His brother is even in the academy! How could... this is...”
- Fantastic Racism: It’s mentioned that Twilight’s planned reformations included more toleration of other races. The nobles didn’t like that.
- Freudian Excuse: Blueblood used to be a good pony, but his parents' 'lessons' turned him into what he was.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: See 10-Minute Retirement.
- Heroic BSOD: Celestia spends four months in one.
- She's Just Hiding: This is Trixie's initial reaction when she first hears about the assassination. It's not until she sees Spike mourning Twilight at her funeral that she's forced to acknowledge the truth.
- Kill It with Fire: Celestia orders Blueblood and his conspirators to be burned at the stake. Because that’s as painful a punishment as she can legally give.
- I Have No Son: Gallant Heart’s parents disown him for his part in killing Twilight, burning all his pictures except one his brother manages to save.
- It's All About Me: Blueblood's entire motivation for the assassination was out of the feeling that he should have been an alicorn instead of Twilight.
- It's All My Fault: Celestia blames herself for Twilight’s death.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Twilight's assassins and the nobles behind the plot suffer this by being burned at the stake. Boulder Brawler and Flare and their families after Regal's suicide in front of the entire class are driven out of Canterlot out of disgust and anger by everypony else. The school will also apparently suffer this, as Cheerilee sends a copy of her resignation letter to the Manehattan newspaper and expresses pleasure that Equestria's Education Council will most likely conduct an investigation into the circumstances leading up to the incident.
- Like a Daughter to Me: Twilight to Celestia. Luna admits she thought of her as a sister.
- Cadance, too, thought of Twilight as a sister.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: At the sentencing, Princess Celestia informs the conspirators and everyone present that she will personally ensure each and every last one of the reforms Twilight was planning to make will become law. In other words, the very thing they were trying to prevent will still come to pass.
- Offing the Offspring: Not a direct son, but Blueblood is descended from Celestia’s children. That doesn’t save him.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Twilight’s parents, natch. Celestia, too, has outlived at least three.
- Parental Substitute: Spike saw Twilight as his mother. No points for guessing he takes it as hard as Celestia.
- Parting Words Regret: The day before Twilight's death, she and Rainbow Dash got into an argument over her recommending that Rainbow not be immediately put on the Wonderbolts due to her Hair-Trigger Temper. The last words the pegasus ever said to Twilight was that she hated her.
- Pietà Plagiarism: Celestia to Twilight.
- The Promise: Twilight Velvet makes Celestia swear to her that she will never try to claim Velvet's new child as an apprentice, even if they grow up to have the same sort of magical potential as Twilight did.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Celestia gives one to Blueblood and his fellow conspirators.
- The Reveal: Fancy Pants was very supportive of Twilight's plans, especially the one allowing interracial marriages. This is because Fleur-de-lis, his wife is actually a changeling in disguise,meaning they won't have to hide their love anymore.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Before Blueblood is executed, the Royal Guard (and the Prince of the Crystal Empire) engage in a little free-lance torture just to express their contempt for him.
- Shout-Out: "You see... there is one thing you never want to be when you face me either in public or when I’m having you tied to a chair ready to put a cage of hungry rats over your head and release them if you don’t tell me what I want to hear."
- Sins of Our Fathers:
- Gladius Stride, a Solar Guard, is continually harassed for being the brother of one of Twilight’s assassins. Even Celestia is guilty of hating him until the end, when she makes him her personal guard.
- Regal, the nephew of one of the conspirators, is constantly harassed and bullied at his Manehattan high school for his connection to the assassination, despite the best efforts of Cheerilee, who transferred to the school to get away from the grief surrounding Ponyville following Twilight's death. What makes it worse is that the father of one of his two main tormentors actually encourages the bullying on the grounds that "the brat needs to learn his kind can't get away with murdering just because somepony doesn't like what they do." He eventually crosses the Despair Event Horizon after the bullying goes too far and shoots himself in the classroom right in front of his classmates and a horrified Cheerilee, who resigns from the school to return to Ponyville soon after.
- Sketchy Successor: Blueblood’s lineage went from noble and good knights and Celestia herself to... Blueblood.
- Sophisticated as Hell: When Cheerliee writes her letter of resignation, she leaves the headmaster this gem:
"Thank you for the experience, sir. May you rot in Tartarus. Signed, Cheerilee."
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Discord mentioned that he first used his powers to make ponies laugh. However, everypony called him a monster based on his appearance... So he decided to become one.
- Together in Death: Flash Sentry commits suicide for this trope.
- Tragic Keepsake: Star Swirl the Bearded’s Guide to the Arcane Arts, the first book Celestia gave Twilight.
- Used To Be A Sweet Colt: Cadence remembers not the vicious, self-centered and arrogant monster Blueblood became but the friendly, happy, good-natured pony he was before his father 'fixed' him.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Some of the conspirators honestly believe they were saving Celestia from a potential usurper.
- Wham Episode: Maud Pie's chapter in Aftermath reveals that the weapons used to kill Twilight were made out of orichalcum, the only metal that can kill an Alicorn. There are only two places to get orichalcum: the Minotaur islands or The Pie Family rock farm.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Luna gives one to Celestia about her 10-Minute Retirement.
- Velvet calls Celestia out for not protecting her daughter better, accusing her of allowing the assassination to happen through her neglect.
- Would Hurt a Child: One of the conspirators mentions that if Spike was with Twilight when she died, they would have killed him first and made Twilight watch.
- You Should Have Died Instead: Twilight Velvet accuses Celestia of this in her grief. Though once she calms down she apologizes.