The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle
is a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Death Fic
by Rated PonyStar.
A year after Twilight’s coronation, she’s murdered by a jealous Blueblood and his conspirators, believing her to be trying to usurp Celestia. The fic picks up four months later, as Celestia comes out of mourning to visit her student’s grave one last time.
The story is currently complete, and can be read here
. A sequel, titled Aftermath of a Fallen Star
, is now available to be read.
This fic contains examples of:
- 10-Minute Retirement: Celestia threatens to give up her throne after it cost her so much. Luna talks her out of it.
- Antagonist in Mourning: While he and Twilight never fully became friends, Discord does end up feeling sorrow for her loss, mostly out of respect as a Worthy Opponent.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Not across the board, but Blueblood and his conspirators certainly fit.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Celestia, full stop. She’s not so kind and motherly when you've killed her child.
- Birth-Death Juxtaposition: Twilight's mom became pregnant about a month after Twilight died. Her mom figures she gained this life in exchange for the one lost.
- Dead Guy on Display: Twilight is preserved in a glass coffin.
- Divine Parentage: Blueblood is descended from the first Blueblood, a knight, and Celestia herself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Twilight's new position apparently sparked a wave of backlash amongst the people with the more tolerant ones not as vocal. A little like how the fandom reacted to this event, eh?
- Fantastic Racism: It’s mentioned that Twilight’s planned reformations included more toleration of other races. The nobles didn’t like that.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: See 10-Minute Retirement.
- Heroic BSOD: Celestia spends four months in one.
- Kill It with Fire: Celestia orders Blueblood and his conspirators to be burned at the stake. Because that’s as painful a punishment as she can legally give.
- I Have No Son: Gallant Heart’s parents disown him for his part in killing Twilight, burning all his pictures except one his brother manages to save.
- It's All My Fault: Celestia blames herself for Twilight’s death.
- Like a Daughter to Me: Twilight to Celestia. Luna admits she thought of her as a sister.
- Offing the Offspring: Not a direct son, but Blueblood is descended from Celestia’s children. That doesn’t save him.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Twilight’s parents, natch. Celestia, too, has outlived at least three.
- Parental Substitute: Spike saw Twilight as his mother. No points for guessing he takes it as hard as Celestia.
- Pietà Plagiarism: Celestia to Twilight.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Celestia gives one to Blueblood and his fellow conspirators.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Gladius Stride, a Solar Guard, is continually harassed for being the brother of one of Twilight’s assassins. Even Celestia is guilty of hating him until the end, when she makes him her personal guard.
- Sketchy Successor: Blueblood’s lineage went from noble and good knights and Celestia herself to... Blueblood.
- Tragic Keepsake: Star Swirl the Bearded’s Guide to the Arcane Arts, the first book Celestia gave Twilight.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Some of the conspirators honestly believe they were saving Celestia from a potential usurper.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Luna gives one to Celestia about her 10-Minute Retirement.
- You Should Have Died Instead: Twilight Velvet accuses Celestia of this in her grief. Though once she calms down she apologizes.