open/close all folders
Heroes (Part 1)
Voiced by: Ibuki Kido (Japanese), Sarah Weidenheft (English)The female lead, she was touched by the glowing fish and became an Intangible Girl.
- Action Girl: Even before gaining her powers, she was capable of man-handling multiple thugs.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. Whenever she gets the hell beat out of her it shows for chapters after that fact.
- Beauty Mark: Under her left eye.
- Big Eater: She talks about food a lot and shows especial enthusiasm when presented meals, though this may factor more into her poverty and lack of money.
- Break the Cutie: The author hates her for the sheer amount of things he puts her through...
- Brought Down to Normal: Loses her ESP after dying for a few minutes in Chapter 18. She eventually remembers that her martial arts abilities have very little to do with her power, and starts training again.
- Bully Hunter: She comes across someone bullying and has to intervene.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Heroic inversion. Rinka saved Azuma from thugs six months before the story began and then promptly forgot about it.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Rinka's current means of fighting in the arena. Her usual means, namely knocking people out in a single strike, will end up with the spectators calling for blood and getting them killed. So she has to be ruthless in her methods of disabling them. When she can't, her Enemy Within does it for her.
- Determinator: She does not give up easily, and given how the story goes, it's a good thing.
- Enemy Within: The CIA gave Rinka one so she could infiltrate the fight club. By performing a certain gesture, her heart and mind go to a dark place to eliminate any doubt she has and fools telepaths. Only, it doesn't exactly go away after the 1 hour period like it was supposed to...
- Forced Prizefight: She's been involved in this for the last year as of Part 2 while working undercover for the CIA.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: More sincere at first, later on she'd really really like Azuma to be.
- The Hero: She's the main protagonist of the series, and a very heroic one to boot.
- Heroic Albino: She claims her white hair is from being of mixed race, but color pages clearly show her with white hair and red eyes.
- Hope Bringer: In Part 1. When she "attacked" the statesman, a lot of people felt betrayed.
- In Universe Nickname: "White Girl," due to her hair.
- Intangible Girl: Her ability lets her phase through everything, including her clothes.
- Kick Chick: But she also uses a form of martial arts centered on grabs and throws. Eskrima (the aforementioned martial arts form) has aspects dealing in both armed and unarmed combat. It teaches grabs and throws, kicks, punches, and how to utilize most everyday things as a weapon for self-defense (knives, sticks, other forms of blades, etc.)
- Meteor Move: SKULL CRUSHING PSY-KICK!
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Chapter 18 has a heartbreaking one.
- Perpetual Poverty: Due to her father having no job, Rinka is pretty close to this.
- Power Perversion Potential: She can phase through solid objects, and until she learns to control her powers falls through her clothing a few times.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Wears a dress for the first time on her date with Azuma. A cheap one, but he compliments her on it the next day.
- Shower of Angst: Has a brief one in Chapter 21.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kobushi in Part 2.
Voiced by: Keisuke Koumoto (Japanese), Adam Dahlberg (English)The male lead, he's a Teleporter with a Hero Complex and a dark past.
- Badass in Distress: Kidnapped in 18 with no way to get back. A telepathic bird helps him. Yes, really.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: And Rinka is the one who inspired him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yes! He lost his parents and was forced to survive in a war-torn country until the Professor picked him up.
- Dating Catwoman: He actually isn't, but did live with Minami for at least a year before the series started. The exact nature of their relationship causes Rinka some angst.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Despite Rinka's reluctance to get involved with him and to accept her ESP powers he keeps showing up and encouraging to use her powers for good. Fortunately for him it's not long before she starts crushing on him.
- Heroic Wannabe: In almost any other series he'd be the main character, but Rinka does a better job embodying the ideals he espouses and kicks a lot more ass.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: All because of his costume. Rinka as the White Girl is much better accepted. At least until part 2.
- Hidden Depths: He acts happy and cheerful, but he's went through some heavy stuff and is much more complex.
- The Lancer: To Rinka's Hero.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He stops playing a nice hero and went to beating down Yakuza with a bat and shooting one after they burned down Rinka's home.
- Mundane Utility: Teleportation is an awesome way to get out of having to pay for public transit.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: Almost entirely because his superhero concept is really intimidating: A crow's head on an old fashion formal suit.
- Teleporters and Transporters: His ability allows him to teleport which looks as if he vanishes into smoke.
- Teleport Spam: He eventually learns to do it in quick successions.
- Training from Hell: He received extensive Special Forces training with the CIA Special Activities Division during the time skip after part 1.
- Took a Level in Badass: Even though he is still pretty much Rinka's sidekick, part 2 shows that he is now a much more competent melee and gun fighter upon his return to Tokyo after going missing with Rinka one year prior. Thanks to the aforementioned Training from Hell with the CIA .
Rindo UrushibaOverprotective Dad who gained the a form of Telekinesis.
- Adult Fear: He watched his daughter technically die after a brutal beating and could do nothing.
- The Big Guy: Dude is built like a tank.
- Blank White Eyes: For no discernible reason.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on his face.
- Mind over Matter: Can attract anything towards himself.
- Overprotective Dad: His Papa Wolf tendencies can get a little overwrought, particularly his disapproval at Rinka's heroic acts.
- Papa Wolf: He's crazy protective of Rinka. His first appearance has him rampaging down the streets calling her name because he thinks she's in danger.
- Psychic Powers: Telekinesis.
- Retired Badass: Used to be a cop, before he was fired for trying to root out corruption.
- Shout-Out: To Wolverine and Iwahata
Black Fist (Real Name: Kokui Kobushi)
Voiced by: Mai Aizawa (Japanese), Jenny Ledel (English)A Phantom Thief with the ability of Invisibility and a skilled boxer.
- Absolute Cleavage: In her Spy Catsuit.
- Action Girl: She's even more skilled than Rinka when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. It helps that she's a boxer.
- Big Damn Heroes: To her sister, stopping their mother from killing her in Chapter 62.
- Boisterous Bruiser: a Rare Female Example
- Combat Pragmatist: Despite the fact that she likes fair fights. She still fights fair, but she likes using as many resources at her disposal as she can.
- Depraved Bisexual: She uses this as a reason for showering with Rinka and passing information along to her.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: A champion boxer strong enough to punch her way out of a steel cage.
- The Handler: She's Rinka's for the Part 2 infiltration of the Hong Kong Super Human Trafficking operation.
- High-Heel–Face Turn: Due to Rinka's father.
- Ineffectual Loner: Though she's starting to think of the others as family.
- Invisibility: Her power, one that she's quick to use for petty thievery.
- I Was Just Passing Through: Her reasoning for helping them is first to steal the mysterious stone, then to get stronger than Rinka, and finally to settle the score with her sister.
- Ki Attacks: Gets these after a long period of absence when she was training.
- Likes Older Men: Likes Rinka's dad, her "prince."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: It's actually a title in her family that she strives for, as the best thief. This is what gives her an "in" to the criminal underground.
- Parental Abandonment: Never knew her parents, only her grandmother. Because her mother killed her father.
- Phantom Thief: The real phantom thief. So good in fact, she managed to infiltrate the enemy headquarters on pure talent alone.
- Psychic Block Defense: She's immune to telepathy because her childhood training left her able to close her heart on a dime.
- The Rival: To Rinka at first.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: By part 2 they're pretty much in this role.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: She tries to avert this as often as possible and doesn't like when others do it to her. However, she also manages to be a Combat Pragmatist at the same time.
- Spy Catsuit: She wears one and sports a very low neckline while doing so.
- Sweet Tooth: Almost always has some kind of candy in her mouth, usually lollipops.
Voiced by: Azusa Tadokoro (Japanese), Lara Woodhull (English)The daughter of a Yakuza boss, she gained Psychometry from a glowing fish.
- Badass Adorable: She's very cute, and has some Badass moments given the potential of her powers.
- Brainy Brunette: She has plenty of knowledge and learns how to properly use her powers for the better.
- Daddy's Girl: Though their relations are a little tense, she's close to her father.
- Lethal Harmless Powers: Psychometry, the ability to see an object's past by touching it. Cool and useful, but definitely not dangerous. But if you manage to find a master martial artist's nunchuks...
- Lonely Rich Kid: It's hinted that most of her peers stay away due to her father's occupation. Similarly, when first meeting Rinka and Azuma, she claims that Peggy (a penguin) is her only friend.
- Mafia Princess: Her father is a yakuza boss.
- Meganekko: Possesses the glasses and the meek personality befitting the trope.
- Post-Victory Collapse: Happens to her every time she fights because she has very little physical stamina.
- The Runaway: Because she doesn't want to be involved with the Yakuza anymore.
- The Smart Guy: She's a Brainy Brunette and with her power, she serves this role with Ayumu.
- Weak, but Skilled: Has no physical strength or stamina, being an elementary schooler, but once she picks up a weapon she gains all the knowledge and skills of its previous owners.
Voiced by: Megumi Ogata (Japanese), Morgan Berry (English)A son of one of the most outspoken people against espers and everything they stand for. He has the power of Precognition, but he can only see two seconds into the future. He is also a student of Master Yoda called in to train with the others. He is a middle school student with aspirations to be a member of Congress, like his mother.
- Berserk Button: It's not an afro, it's a perm!
- Follow in My Footsteps: His mother wants him to do this.
- Funny Afro: Though don't call it that in front of him.
- Jerkass: At first.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's fast by himself, but he seems even faster because of his ability to see all attacks two seconds in advance. However, when he thinks too much about the possible futures in battle, he slows down.
- Parental Obliviousness: His mother is completely oblivious to his powers at first... then he has to save her from another esper with his own powers.
Master YodaMartial Arts Master who trained much of the Tokyo Police Force, including Rinka's father. He is constantly dressed in a panda suit and is an esper himself, with the power of clairvoyance. Yes, he is named after that Master Yoda.
- Battle Aura: Has quite the frightening one.
- Handicapped Badass: After getting hit with a tranquilizer, he is bound to a wheelchair for a while.
Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara (Japanese), Heather Walker (English)A Flying Penguin who is known as the "Collector." He can devour ESP by eating the glowing fish.
ParrotA pelican that Azuma meets when he is left on the deserted island. It helps him escape. It can communicate to him because it gained powers of Telepathy from the light fish. He later joins the heroes in their crime fighting.
- Big Damn Heroes: With Azuma, he manages to save Rinka and Black Fist from the Professor.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: See Phlebotinum Overload below.
- Non-Indicative Name: Azuma names him "Parrot" even though he's a pelican; likely due to the fact that he can communicate.
- Phlebotinum Overload: He manages to dispel The Professor's illusions by using his telepathy and overloading him.
- Team Pet: Becomes this along with Peggy.
- Telepathy: His power.
- What Is Love: He wants to experience the feeling that only beings with a "higher level of intellect," such as humans, can have. Such as what Azuma feels for Rinka.
Heroes (Part 2)
Ren JomakuThe Hero of Part 2, taking place over a year after the events of Part 1. She is a first-year high school student who gets caught up in an esper terrorist attack at her school. Ren herself is an esper, however.
- An Ice Person: Her power allows her to freeze things,though it's not the true nature of her abilities.
- Badass: Despite being more reluctant to fight, she definitely can when pushed into a corner.
- Bully Hunter: Her powers were discovered and her life changed when she used them to stop a bully.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: She squeezes her "milk box" too hard when she's thinking about her new crush, getting it all over her.
- Foil: To Rinka: Dark-eyed, dark-haired glasses-wearing Ordinary High-School Student (comparatively) who can freeze everyone else in place to Rinka's Perpetual Poverty nearly-Heroic Albino Action Girl who can pass through solid matter.
- Lovable Coward: Unlike Rinka, she absolutely does not want to get involved with what's going on at her school and wants some normalcy in her life again.
- Love at First Sight: To Zeusu.
- MacGuffin Super Person: Her ability is the key to releasing the Messiah from "Lock Space" inside the ark.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Freezes Master Yoda upon sight because she thought he was an alien, keeping him from helping her and Zeusu fight off the other esper delinquents.
- The Nicknamer: Immediately names Zeusu "Juice-kun" once she finds out his name.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Or as ordinary as a girl can be in a city where 20% of the Kanto region has esper powers. She also goes to a school for espers.
- Power Incontinence: Loses control of her powers occasionally, causing her to freeze herself in awkward situations. It completely goes berserk in moments of great stress, releasing an amount of power never seen in the series before.
- Power Nullifier: Somehow, she also has the same ability to remove powers as Peggy. This is because she stops their hearts when she freezes them, technically killing them.
- Time Stands Still: Within the sphere of her power she freezes even time.
- Was It All a Lie?:she asks this to Zuesu, when she learns he's the heir of the security, military group that's after her.
Zeusu TetsuyaThe main male protagonist of Part 2. He goes to school with Ren and fights the esper terrorists alongside her. He has the ability to change the state of any physical object. He's actually the heir to the antagonists of Part 2.
- The Atoner: Vows to become this from Chapter 73 onwards.
- Becoming the Mask: He fell in love with her despite the fact that he was supposed to be monitoring her and stopping her from getting in the way of their plans.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Don't let his eccentricities fool you. Once he gets serious, he's a force to be reckoned with.
- Big Bad Friend:He is the heir of PMSC.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Has shades of this. Once he slipped a ice treat into Ren's bag in order for it to keep cool.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome:Saved Kozuki from the Esper mercenaries that were chasing after her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hoo boy. His entire childhood was a living hell. Not a day went by without someone trying to kidnap or kill him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: There is one reason, and only one reason why he's loyal to the PMSC, and that's his "benefactor" the one person who kept him alive and who he'll never betray.
- Evil All Along: See Big Bad Friend above.
- Extra Ore Dinary: He can control all forms of metal.
- Hidden Depths:On the surface, he's very eccentric, and not very talkative. However, he can easily subdue a speedster, and take an explosion in close proximity. Even though he's the heir of PMSC, he saved Kozuki from the mercenaries employed by the company. Granted he may not have known who she was. Also, he doesn't seem to agree with his protectors killing needlessly, as he ordered the female deva to stop killing and to focus on capturing Minami. Also, there are signs he's developed genuine feelings for Ren, but creates an inner turmoil between these feeling and his position.
- Insane Troll Logic:In response to Ren's Was It All a Lie?, he states that he doesn't recall lying; it's just that he never told the truth. Then, he turns it on her by saying that she just didn't know him.
- The Lancer: To Ren. Later, horribly subverted
- Meet Cute: With Ren, when he uses his powers to get her skirt out of the subway door.
- The Mole:He got close to Ren, because he was after her ESP.
- The Stoic: This guy constantly sports a blank face.
- Transforming Mecha: Zeusu's power can basically make a car into a Transformer Robot.
Villains (Part 1)
Voiced by: Yoshihisa Kawahara (Japanese), Jeffrey Schmidt (English)Azuma Kyoutarou's adoptive and Minami's father, he is leading the group that is letting the glowing fish roam free.
- Big Bad: Of Part 1, anyway.
- He's making a comeback for Part 2.
- Bishōnen: While under the cover of an illusion.
- The Beastmaster: He likes creating illusion beasts to help fight, such as dragons and other mythological creatures.
- The Chessmaster: He isn't a Magnificent Bastard for nothing.
- Crazy-Prepared: He left a message in the tablet piece Murasaki had just for her, anticipating she would get it more than two years into the future and as a back-up in case he died.
- Freudian Excuse: Losing his friends and wife drive him over the edge.
- Hope Spot: Lets the heroes gain popularity and inspire hope, before crushing it to fan anti-esper sentiment.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: His belief.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies in Chapter 73.
- The Lost Lenore: The loss of his wife is one of the contributing factors to the way he is today.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a really really nasty burn on the left side of his face, normally hidden behind an illusion.
- Make an Example of Them: Orders this to Rinka and Azuma, and he meant it.
- Master of Illusion: His power.
- Me's a Crowd: One of his favored fighting tactics, made with his illusions.
- Taking the Bullet: Minami intended to do so for him, but he turned around and took it for her.
Voiced by: Sachika Misawa (Japanese), Mallorie Rodak (English)Azuma's adoptive sister who follows the professor, she's also a Teleporter.
- Action Girl: Instead of hand-to-hand combat, she fights with a sword.
- Attempted Rape: Led to her using her powers for the first time in front of another person and also her first kill of her would-be rapists.
- Combat Pragmatist: She took out Peggy before even trying to fight the heroes with a tranquilizer needle.
- Curbstomp Battle: Against Rinka.
- Dark Action Girl: Easily the best female villain in part 1, she has no qualms about getting her hands dirty.
- The Dragon: To the Professor.
- Dual Wielding: Likes doing this with swords.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Azuma is pretty much the only person she won't kill, and Kozuki is the one person she won't let be killed.
- Eye Scream: Gets one eye put out by the twin with Super Speed.
- Hannibal Lecture: To Rinka. While beating her at her own game.
- Katanas Are Just Better: She wields a katana.
- Kick Chick: Kicks just as much as Rinka.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Given her "attack on sight" attitude towards Rinka and feelings for Azuma.
- The Rival: To Rinka. She jumps at any chance to fight her, and Azuma's role certainly doesn't help.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Kozuki.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Prior to her disappearance two years ago. Now, she's mostly just ice.
- Teleport Spam: Combined with her swords, it's a deadly fighting style.
Black Fist (Real Name: Kuroi Kozuki)a teleportation ability as well, but she can only teleport other people and things, not herself, just by touching them. She desires the title of "Black Fist" in the Kobushi family, and to do that she must steal something valuable enough to please their grandmother. As such, she joins the Professor for her own reasons.
- Absolute Cleavage: In her Spy Catsuit.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Hair Decorations: Wears a floral headband.
- The Dark Chick
- Parental Abandonment: Her mother was banished from the family after she was born, after killing her father.
- Psychic Block Defense: She's immune to telepathy because her childhood training left her able to close her heart even while asleep.
- The Rival: To her sister.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Minami.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Uses her teleportation abilities like this, to teleport random things such as shields, guns, and a moai head into her battles.
- Spy Catsuit: Just like her sister.
Lin LinquianOne of the espers that the Professor recruits. She first appears to attack Rinka and the others at school. She has the ability to make a "long range spirit punch," i.e., she has repulsion powers as opposed to Ken's attraction powers.
- Black Eyes of Evil
- Chinese Girl
- In Universe Nickname: "The Evil Ghost of the Woods."
- Ki Attacks
- Mind over Matter: Her powers of repulsion.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: With Minami and the other subordinate, she delivers one of these to Rinka in their first meeting, resulting in her temporary death.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Likes to make attacks directed at the eyes.
Unnamed SubordinateAnother esper that the Professor recruits. Like Lin, she first appears to attack Rinka and the others at school. By locking eyes with someone, her ability allows her to take control of their bodies.
- Ambiguously Brown: Except in her first appearance.
- BFG: Also wields one of these.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Hero Killer: She is basically the one who kills Rinka with her People Puppets.
- Marionette Master
- Nice Hat
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: With Minami and Lin, she delivers one of these to Rinka in their first meeting, resulting in Rinka's temporary death.
- No Name Given
- People Puppets: Her power.
- Small Girl, Big Gun
Unnamed SubordinateAnother esper that the Professor recruits. He has extremely strong powers of telekinesis..
- The Brute
- Ki Attacks: He is said to be a master of "Chi-Fu" by Master Yoda. He even claimed to train Minami and the others to fight over the years.
- Made of Iron: Gunshots do nothing to him due to his chi abilities.
- Mask Power: He wears a samurai mask.
- Mind over Matter
- No Name Given
- One-Hit KO: He [[spoiler: is on the receiving end of one by Black Fist And it renders him completely naked.
- Shirtless Scene
- The Stoic
Unnamed SubordinateAnother esper working for the Professor. He has the power to sense other espers and uses chains with daggers on the end for combat.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He is on the receiving end of one by Ayumu and Murasaki.
- Evil Genius
- Killed Off for Real: Gets caught in the explosion at the end of Chapter 71, killing him.
- Mask Power: Dresses similarly to the other subordinate, similarly to a samurai or a *Ninja. In fact, he has a whole ninja theme going for him.
- No Name Given
- The Bus Came Back: Returns in Season 2 to free the Professor.
Villains (Part 2 and others)
Anaja and AmameA brother and sister pair that the ARES board president adopted as children.
- A God Am I: They're (under)dressed like celestial beings similar to Asuras or Devas and perform the Deus ex Machina that ends Part 1.
- Badass: The sister takes a sword through the foot and uses it as a weapon, manages to catch the teleport in mid-air, and nearly kill the Professor.
- Cold Sniper: The sister.
- Creepy Twins
- Flying Brick: The brother.
- Mr. Fanservice/Ms. Fanservice
- Playing with Fire: The brother is a pyrokinetic.
- Sibling Team: They're rarely seen alone.
- Super Speed: The sister is a speedster.
- Taking You with Me: The brother, after being shot, blows himself up to kill the Professor and the Seer.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: The brother never wears a shirt.
Kuroi ClaudiaA woman who is on the board of directors and part of the group responsible for the Hong Kong underground arena.
- Abusive Parents: She's one to her daughters, torturing Kozuki and getting off on it.
- Bad Boss: The worst in the series, which is saying a lot.
- Black Widow: Kills all of her husbands just for the hell of it.
- Enemy Civil War: Her faction is acting separate from the others.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: She's a boxer, just like her daughters.
- Megaton Punch: Her punch was enough to topple Rinka, crack the ground beneath her, and break her arm from blocking it.
- Missing Mom: She's this to both the Black Fist sisters.
- Teleporters and Transporters: She has the ability to teleport others on contact.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: She teleports in 3 missiles to try and kill her allies and Rinka's faction when she gets what she wants.
- Drops entire buildings on one of her former allies after getting a power-up from the messiah.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Does this to the entirety of the PMSC in chapter 65, with missiles!
- Does it to her last subordinate and the messiah after she receives benediction in chapter 72.
- Brown Note: Later chapters explain that his powers are based on a sound that compels people to do what he wants. One of the esper police even blocks this sound with a wall of water.
- No Eye in Magic: Averted He's so powerful that he doesn't require eye contact.
- Off with His Head!: How the Professor kills him.
- People Puppets: He can also do this. He does this to Kozuki to use her powers to retrieve the hidden arc, and later, to Ren to break the seal.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: His schtick. Including the guy the Professor wanted killed. You can imagine he took it poorly when he found out.
- Red Baron: Known as the Emperior of Assassination. One guess how he got it.
The ESP Liberation Front
The Front as a whole
A sinister group of espers who want to dominate the ESP Zone in Part 2.
- A God Am I/Mask Power: ...and over-sized masks from various mythologies (one of them is a totem pole).
- Badass in a Nice Suit: They've killed 200 people including politicians and police officers, wear sharp suits...
- Fantastic Racism: Anybody who isn't an esper is a non-human that doesn't have the right to live.
- Far-East Asian Terrorists: Of the ESP variety.
- Insane Troll Logic: They declare that any esper who does not automatically join their ranks is a traitor, even if the esper in question was being attacked with lethal force as a non-esper the day before, the front is targeting their friends and family, or the esper in question is compulsory enrolled in an academy that supposedly teaches espers how to control their powers so they're not a threat to themselves never mind being a threat to others. Furthermore, the best way to counter esper based discrimination, based on well-justified fear and suspicion is to set off bombs in public establishments thereby giving non-espers even more reason to fear and suspect them.
- Nebulous Evil Organization/Standard Evil Organization Squad
- Unwitting Pawn: They were being used to set off a Nuclear Bomb and lure in the people who kidnapped the Professor.
SairoThe ESP Liberation Front's hitman. Wears a mask of Anubis, the Egyptian god of death.
- Knife Nut: Uses a knife with brutal efficiency.
- Shout-Out: Youkai: Dog mask aside, his high-speed knife attacks are similar to a kama-itachi (sickle weasel).
- Super Speed: His power.
- You Have Failed Me: Murders the group of esper high-schoolers they paid to riot at the ESP academy after they failed to cause any damage, got their powers taken away, were caught by the authorities, and were about to snitch on the the organization.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (Japanese), Brian Mathis (English)Murasaki's father, the Yakuza boss.
Voiced by: Fuyuka Oura (Japanese), Linda Leonard (English)Ayumu's mother and a member of the Diet, the Japanese Congress. She hates espers.
- Fantastic Racism: Until her own son was revealed to be one and saved her life.
- Heel–Face Turn: Despite hating espers, she eventually turns around and tries to help them.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: Since she views all espers as criminals, this is the inevitable result of finding out her son is one of them.
- Parental Obliviousness: At first.
Voiced by: Yoshito Yasuhara (Japanese), Greg Dulcie (English)The head of the police force who used to work with Ken, Rinka's father.
- Badass Normal: He, along with the other cops, also received martial arts training from Master Yoda.
- Funny Afro: A big one.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: The Good Cop to Torada's Bad Cop, though the two never meet.
- Supporting Leader: Helps storm the Diet building with Rinka and several other cops in full riot gear.
- Reassignment To Antarctica: He ends up being reassigned to a remote island in the second part, as a punishment.
ToradaHead of the Esper Taskforce.
- Combat Pragmatist: Due to his use of tranquilizers.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies after the ARES board starts going wild.
- Fantastic Racism; He doesn't care if you're a good guy or not, even if you don't have powers anymore. To drive the point, he detains Rinka when her powers were lost.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: The Bad Cop to Nabeshima's Good Cop.
- Rabid Cop
- SWAT Team: Most of the men in the taskforce. They don't do well against ESPers.
- You Are What You Hate: He "awakens" and gets esper powers of illusion similar to The Professor.
MerayamaAn esper that fought Rinka at the beginning of the series, who worked under the Professor. She encounters him again later.
- Brought Down to Normal: He is one of the first victims of Peggy's power.
- Delinquent Hair: The top of his head is dyed.
- Easily Forgiven: He killed multiple innocent people and burned down Rinka's house, and she still helps him and they eventually fight alongside each other.
- Humble Pie
- Jerkass: At first, until he is constantly beat up by the other inmates. He comes around after Rinka saves him.
- Kill It with Fire
- Playing with Fire: He used to be a pyrokinetic esper, but Peggy got him.
- Pyro Maniac
- Taking the Bullet: Takes Lin's 100-Pace Spirit Punch for Rinka, after Rinka saves him from the other Delinquents in the boxing ring.