Lets Play / Sky Does Minecraft
Adam Dahlberg (born January 17, 1993) is a YouTuber under the moniker Sky or SkyDoesMinecraft
, who does a lot of Minecraft Let's Plays as implied
. He is famous for calling gold "Butter"
and hating squids
. His Let's Plays varies from either doing Mod Reviews
, doing playthroughs of Custom Maps or Parkour Maps and so on. He usually does them with his friends MinecraftUniverse, Deadlox
, Ant Venom
, Caveman Films
, TheBajanCanadian, ASFJerome, and more. He was also a former member of the Minecraft
group, Team Crafted
He recently made a general gaming channel called SkyVsGaming, which you can view here
- Aborted Arc: There has had been a number of series by Sky suffering from this trope.
- "The Torture Zone" playthrough ended after one episode due to the map getting corrupted.
- Sky's "Temple Runner" series with AviatorGaming, which was uploaded by Machinima, seems to be over after the sixth episode, maybe because of the Nintendo Hard difficulty.
- Also applied to "Just Jump", with no "Part 5" in sight.
- Anachronic Order: The intro of the "More Stairs Mod" video takes place after the mod review itself. Specifically, at one point during the review, Sky tries to make a butter stair thing, only to fail. The intro has the thing made... while Sky is shouting.
"THAT IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE. OKAY? YOU'LL SEE IN THE VIDEO, YOU'LL SEE, OKA-"
- The "Throwable Brick Mod" video takes place AFTER his "Elemental Creepers" video. During "Throwable Brick", Sky is shown to have a vast quantity of glowstone dust in his inventory along with a large mound of glowstone near the mod review area, both of which are from the Light Creeper from "Elemental Creepers".
- An accidental version in-universe: Sky and Deadlox did the second Epic Jump Map before doing the first.
Deadlox: We can't count!
- They do this again with Sky Park 2, doing the first one after that.
- Alternate Continuity: The Sky Does Minecraft Wiki.
- Angrish: Frequently, to an amusing extent. One example can be found here.
- Arch-Enemy: Squids. He really hates squids.
- Artifact Title: A interesting example: "Sky Does Minecraft" was originally the title of Adam's original Minecraft Let's Play (which has been abandoned).
- Ascended Meme: The Butter mod and the Sky Craft mod.note
- "Epic Jump Map Butter Edition" was made specifically for Sky and Deadlox... even through the plot of the map is that Deadlox has been captured by the Squids and Sky must save him.
- They get around this in their playthrough with two words: Hologram. Deadlox.note
- Sky gets his own Super Craft Brothers 2 classes in the form of the Butter Golem and the Butter Bro. There's also a squid, but no one likes squids.
- Ascended Extra: Whenever Sky and Deadlox do one of Bodil40's maps, they make sure to plug him as much as possible. However, things go to the extreme as of Cops and Robbers 2.0 #6, when Bodil 40 is now a reoccurring guest in the antics of Sky and Co.
- He even joined Sky, Deadlox and MinecraftUniverse in the playthrough of "Epic Jump Map: Ultimate Trolling", which he made.
- OkwardIndustries joined Sky, among a few other YouTubers, in a game of modded Teacher (Lord of the Rings to be specific). Prior to this video most of his appearances involved Sky and whomever else was recording with him turning their attention to Okward.
- Ax-Crazy: Bashur tends to come off as this sometimes.
- Berserk Button: Whenever a squid appears in a mod review. Bonus points for when it captures him and takes it over. Failing too much in a given map will more often than not cause a Creative Mode rampage.
- Bi the Way: In October 2013, he came out as bisexual on Twitter.
- Bittersweet Ending: The "Bad Santa" video. Sky, MinecraftUniverse, and Deadlox defeated Mr. Natas and saved Christmas... but killed Santa because Mr. Natas told them he was evil.
- Blatant Lies: Sky's insistence that gold (or "butter" as he likes to call it) is superior to diamond.
- The Bus Came Back: Butter Golem (a pumpkin on top of gold blocks) appeared in some of his mod showcases but disappeared. It recently reappeared in his showcases after he got his house as a recurring character. Squid also disappeared for some time before returning when he really got back into mod showcases.
- Butt Monkey: Sky's girlfriend Dawnables gets ripped on so much that it has become a Running Gag.
Sky: For the lulz Dawn! For the lulz!
- MunchingBrotato in the "Jukecraft Failure" video. While the entire video was a... yeah, he deserves mention because he kept failing to join one of their games.note
MunchingBrotato: Welcome to another episode of "Tylernote 's Not Involved In The Video"!
- Calling a Block of Gold a Block of Butter
- Call Back: The botched playthrough of "The Towers" is titled "Complete Failure", which is one of the titles Sky suggested for "Super Mario Failaxy".
- Carnivore Confusion: In the "Anti-Plant Virus" mod showcase, Squid has admitted to eating calamarinote .
- Character Development: Squid wasn't really as distracting in his first appearance in the "Arctic" mod. ...but on the other hand, that random forest fire...
- Subsequently, Sky's reaction to him was "Friggen' awesome" and only a token two "Shut up, Squid"s were said. You may laugh now.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: In a variation, this playthrough of "Hunger Games" had Sky do this to MunchingBrotatonote , attempt to do so to ASFJerome, only for someone else to beat him to the punch, and attempt to do this with BajanCanadiannote only for Bajan to beat him to the punch.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Yeaaaaah. Depending on the viewpoint, Sky just looks like he's screaming at nothing.
- Dark Horse Victory: The squid manages to take over a mod showcase before Sky even starts filming. However, it's short-lived, as Sky breaks out of his prison and chases the squid off.
- Deadpan Snarker: Our host ladies and gentlemen.
- Demoted to Extra: Butter Golem, who appears to have been replaced by the squid.
- Did Not Think This Through: Modded Cops and Robbers, Godzilla edition. Half way through the video the main prison room is more or less destroyed because the Warden didn't think through spawning Kiryu inside, which results in spawning Godzilla to kill it. By the time they kill him, he's destroyed the respawn teleport pressure plate, leaving them all trapped in 'Hell' when they died. This results in him summoning another one and them ultimately having to just abandoning the prison because Godzilla keeps killing them.
- The Rival Rebels version also counts, as Bashur didn't realize how powerful the weapons were, resulting in several rooms getting blown up.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When a squid tries to steal the attention, Sky responds by killing it and every other squid in the vicinity. May actually be justified, if you take the Zombietech mod showcase into consideration.
- And now entirely justified in "When Squids Strike". The squids kidnapped Dawn.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The premise of the minigame "Pink Men Slapping Each Other".
- Now add in the Klüb ICE episode of Cops and Robbers with the weird masculine voices.
- And its sequel episode as well.
- Downer Ending: "Deaf Hunger Games"note : The final two players wind up being PurpleOrchid and Husky, and ultimately because PurpleOrchid kept running away from Husky and not fighting him, the clock ran out and no one won.
- Drunk with Power: Happens to Sky in the Tornado Modded Survival when someone thought it was a good idea to give him the ability to make tornadoes.
- Early Installment Weirdness : In his earlier videos, mostly before this video was posted. Can you actually believe that he said gold was useless once?!
- Epic Fail: "Super Mario Failaxy": A series where Sky and one SGCBarbierian play through a map structured around Super Mario Galaxy. They keep failing. However, they seemingly get better over the course of the series, but never complete it due to an error found upon entering the Nether.
- This is frequent in "Wheel of Misfortune" with Caveman Films. In two episodes, they had already messed up their cobblestone generator, have had the map damaged by creepers, and have fallen off the map to their deaths many times.
- In their attempt to play a parkour map based off of Wipeout, Sky, Deadlox, and HuskyMudkipz break it completely.
- A squid attempts to use a butter-core-powered robot to destroy Sky in the Primitive Mobs mod showcase. The robot explodes when he tries to fire, killing the squid instantly.
- In the Mutant Skeletons mod, another squid tries to use a different robot that (supposedly) won't explode. It doesn't... but the squid had forgotten to turn it on before getting in and spends the review trapped in its own mecha.
- His, MinecraftUniverse, Deadlox, and DefinitelyAccidental's attempt to play "The Towers" becomes a trainwreck because of Deadlox ignoring the rules he himself stated and just went about blowing up shit. Fittingly, Sky posted the video as "Complete Failure".
- Deadlox did the same thing in "Ender Jumper", with his Point of View (POV) version uploaded as "Fail Jumper". After over 25 minutes and two episodes of infuriating parkour, he sets off TNTs around the map because he didn't want to try it out again, thus causing Sky to die. Deadlox carrying a TNT in the thumbnail of the second and final part of the video spoils its ending, as with "Parkour Failure", which ends the same way as "Ender Jumper". Since then, he does this as a method to end map playthroughs, especially if he's dissatisfied with it.
- The first attempt at recording a "Water Battle" video. Not only did Deadlox (with a little help from HuskyMudkipz) keep fucking up the intro so much that an entire in-game day passed, but when they actually got around to filming the battle itself, Sky discovered near the end that he wasn't recording.
- "Jukecraft Failure". That is all.
- A certain Hunger Games had Sky and BajanCanadian face-off HuskyMudkipz and Jerome in deathmatch. They all managed kill each other off via the use of TNT, which led to someone else winning the game.
- "Teacher Fail". The map is (somehow) apparently broken, which led to multiple people becoming the teacher.
- During this episode of Sky Factory 2, the group tries to make a mob farm. It goes horribly wrong and ends with their entire base getting overrun by an army of mobs and them spending the night in a tree.
- Excited Show Title!: Describes just about every title of his videos.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: One of the animations on his channel's called "SKY EATS A HOTDOG!". Take a wild guess on what the video's about. (In case one's wondering, said video's a parody of another video called "Batman eats a hotdog", which also falls under this trope.)
- Failed a Spot Check: The opening of the "Artic" mod video has Sky take waay too long to notice the forest fire. Especially since he was facing it.note
- Fanboy: In Assassin's Creed mini-game playthrough, he and his friends act this way towards Bickey08, a complete stranger. However, this may have been a deliberate Affectionate Parody of their dedicated fans.
- First-Name Basis : Whenever he interacts with his close friends.
- Fisher Kingdom : In one Cops and Robbers video, the prison is implied to be this. It makes Sky, Ssundee, MinecraftUniverse, PerpetualJordan and ASFJerome act like .. well it must be seen to be believed. All of them managed to escape in the end, except for MinecraftUniverse, who gets teleported back into the prison when he accidentally dies.
- Filk Song : He actually sang one. No, I am not kidding.
- He actually sings quite a few. The example above is the only one he's able to get through in its entirety without interrupting himself with giggling, forgetting lines, or random nervous noises.
- He sang another one.
- Formerly Fat: Sky used to weigh 300 pounds. Compare how he looks now to that and it's one hell of a change.
- Foreshadowing: Unintentional, but a throwaway line from Deadlox is this for the final nail in this failed Water Battle recording: "Hold on, hold on, I-I'm not recording."
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In his "Airborne Pv P" video, if you pause when he opens the chat, you can see that Deadlox tried to join and then got kicked/banned for trying.
- In Sky Does 1.3, if you watch the chat, you can see that Deadlox got shot by a skeleton.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: The "Anti-Plant Virus" mod video has Sky and Squid's friendliest conversation yetnote ... despite the reveal that Squid is a cannibal.
- Gratuitous Ninja: Ninja Sloth in the More Mobs mod.
- Happily Adopted: Sky, which he reveals towards the end of this video.
- Hostile Show Takeover: See Dark Horse Victory.
- Ill Guy: He gets sick a lot. It doesn't help that he has a bad habit of pushing himself to produce videos even when he's not feeling his best.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Occurs occasionally in his videos. Usually involves a certain word, like the word "egg" for his playthrough of Splegg.
- Sometimes, they don't even bother to use puns; they will just blatantly state the word. An example would be the use of the word "meat" for this playthrough of Bacon Brawl.
- Ironic Echo: In "The Walls" playthrough, Sky is being killed by mobs and Ssundee says: "No, it's not. It's normal. Just let this happen. Just let this happen." Later, after Sky gets killed by a spider and Ssundee (technically having won) wants to do a proper final fight, Sky just TNTs him. As Ssundee protests, Sky retorts:
- Large Ham: See Cloudcuckoolander.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The intro to the "Throwable Brick Mod" video has Sky break a house's window with a brick, shout "FUCK YO HOUSE! YO HOUSE SUCKS! I BET YOU LIKE THE BUTT!"... and get blown up by the TNT under the house.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: This is done many, many times in the videos; a shining example of this trope would be in the "Dodgeball" mini-game.
- Mind Screw: Somehow, in the first round of The New Cops and Robbers #9, Sky wound up being the warden... despite ASFJerome being on the pressure plate.note
Sky: Why am I here? Why am I here?
- A glitch in the "Raging Rapids" minigame caused Sky to think he was winning... even though he was stuck. Best shown here and here.
- The premise of Sky's first ever live-action skit. During a normal playthrough of one Survival Games, Quentin and Jerome suddenly enter a zombie/brainwashed-like state at the mention of Tortino's Bold Buffalo-style Chicken Rolls. They abandon the game and attack Sky's house. Sky manages to escape and runs to Jason's house, where he explains the situation to him. In an attempt to create a diversion, Sky gives the Tortino's Bold Buffalo-style Chicken Rolls to Jason and opens the door to challenge Jerome and Quentin. He is promptly attacked by them, and he tells Jason to flee with the snack before he is seemingly killed. Jason does so, and he eats all of the chicken rolls except for one, which he then uses to taunt Quentin and Jerome with. They viciously attack him and apparently, none of them survived that day.
- Every Finish the Story video will somehow devolve into this.
- Mood Whiplash: The "Derpy Squids" review, in which Sky is captured by the squids again, is a rather seriously taken showcase by a squid of their army.
- The music in the intro, when Sky discovers the portal to their realm, doesn't help at all.
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: Admit it. In the "Zombietech" video, it was painfully obvious that Squid was pretending to be Sky.
- No Indoor Voice: "YOU'RE AN ABOMBINATION TO ALL THAT IS HOLY IN MINECRAFT!!!!" And many other intros.
- Non Sequitur: At end of the special "Watermelon Massacre" editionnote of "Cops and Robbers 3.0", which had said watermelon massacre, Bashur getting stuck in Hellnote , Sky being stuck in a 3rd floor jail cell because of Mitch screwing up the spawn, watermelon-style cannibalism, ASFJerome getting out early and deciding to build a house, him and the others deciding to do a Survival Let's Play, and Warden Bashur ultimately getting killed, what note does Sky decide to end on? A Bob Ross reference.
(in a calm voice) Thank you guys for watching, and remember, you can always turn anything into a mountain. This has been "Painting with Bob Ross"
- Noodle Incident:
- In the Throwable Bricks mod showcase, his inventory is filled with glowstone dust. When the viewer gets to see this, Sky simply says "Don't ask."
- The opening of Tag-Team Parkour. It wasn't in the actual recording, so one can only wonder how GoldSolace managed to get himself stuck in a waterfall, with the others punching him.
- Not What It Looks Like: Near the end of the "Rival Rebels" Modded Hunger Games, Sky and everyone in his call were freaking out over how "powerful" Gizzy was. Not to mention Sky calling out Gizzy and vaecon teaming up on him. However, he was wrong on both accounts: vaecon was trying to kill Gizzy and everyone in Gizzy's call were freaking out over Sky, with ASFJerome outright saying that Sky was going to win.
- One Steve Limit: Averted; while we have Tynote as a reoccuring guest, we recently have been seeing Tyler[[note] MunchingBrotato[[/note]] as well. Not to mention Tylernote 's occasional appearance.
- We also have Jordannote and Jordannote appearing occasionally. In the "Ghast Blast" video (which is also the one video where both of them appear together), Sky lampshades it.
- Orphaned Series:
- Planet of Steves: In "Wheel of Misfortune" he names all of the animals "Harpo."
- Rage Quit: What happens when his group gets stuck in the Reverie: The Uprising map. He gets fed up, plants a bunch of TNT and blows up the map.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: It's "Cops And Robbers" and "Hunger Games" WITH MODS!
- Sky Hunger Games is basically regular Hunger Games on Sky's server.
- The Reveal: The video he made for reaching 1 millions subscribers had us see Adam (Sky) in real life as he thanked the viewers.
- Actually, this isn't the first time. He actually released a video some time back that had him IRL.
- Rim Shot: In his more recent videos, this is added in by his editors anytime him or any of his friends make a bad pun.
Sky: "Jess, I have to be honest. I bee-lieve you can make more efforts.
Jin: "And there goes the rest of our audience!"
Sky: "There they go! Bye guys!"
Jess: "Bye guys! Bee sure to tune in next time!"
Jin: "Bee su- Oh my god, I'm done!"
- Running Gag: Since gold ingots have a distinct butter-esque appearance, Sky has taken to calling it butter. And so have the fans.
- Recently, Sky has also taken to squealing like a pig.
Sky: "REET! REET!"
- Whenever Subzero is involved in a video (instead of being in the background setting things up), Sky pretends he's talking when Sub is never in the call.
- From the Do Not Laugh videos, Earl, the Dungeon Beast.
- The Scapegoat: Sky decided to blame all of "Jukecraft Failure" on BigBadManPig.
- The Scottish Trope: Gold. Sky does not recognize the word at all, preferring to call it "butter".
- But there are times where he actually says it by accident. However, those times are very rare.
- Screaming Warrior: Sky always does this whenever hes doing a Pv P map.
- Shaped Like Itself: In the Epic Jump Map 9 videos:
Sky: "Down, down, down, down... and then we're following Bodil's face, a face that looks like a face that is a face and then I fell..."
- Ship Sinking: At the end of the Halloween edition of Cops and Robbers, he attempts to do this.
: "That's how Skylox
Sky: "It was pretty sad."
Deadlox: "Anyways guys, that's the big majestical story of Halloween Skylox ended. Hope you enjoyed it.
: We expect fanfics. We'll see you on the next boat
- Shout-Out: To South Park, with many of his catchphrases (i.e. "I'm so startled!"). His voice even takes on a Cartman-like affect at times, which is most noticeable in mod showcases.
- Sidekick: Depending on the point of view, Deadlox can be considered this.
- Something Completely Different: The "Mine Little Pony" mod showcase was a joint venture, guest starring Deadlox, Kuledud3 and Definitely Accidental, the latter two being bronies.
- Spiders Are Scary: As shown by the face-cam in his playthrough of The Hospital , Sky is apparently terrified of real-life spiders. So when he notices one near the computer, he gets up and tries to shoo it away.
- More like he nearly backpedaled from his setup in a panicked attempt to escape it and then tried to slap it away. He even chants a little rhyme as a ward against it coming back!
- Spotlight-Stealing SQUID: He repeatedly tries to take the focus away from the mod, especially in the Animal Bikes mod, where he drags Sky all the way into the water. And Zombietech, in which an anthropomorphic squid attacks Sky before he can even begin the video and takes over.
- Stuff Blowing Up: In "Complete Failure", Deadlox completely DESTROYS any chance of either side winning by using TNT.
- This is now his method of dealing with a map that he's frustrated on. Bonus points for Sky's reactions.
- Take That:
- In the "Vampires Mod" video, Sky goes out of his way to express his hatred of Twilight. ...and of course, Squid likes it.
- The ending of "Epic Jump Map Sky Butter Edition" has squids falling to their death. Over. And. Over.
- See Rant-Inducing Slight. Deadlox actually thinks that way of Luigi.
Deadlox: Tom Cruise?! Your movies suck!
: (shocked) WOW
- Sky still likes his movies though.
- Take That Me: In his "More Player Models Mod" video, he showcases one model that he declares is "fucking ugly". It's his particular player model.
- Tempting Fate: At the end of the Demonic Mobs showcase, Sky says that he went through an entire mod showcase without seeing a squid. So when he turns around...
- The Dreaded: The Retarded Squid. So bad, not even Regular Squid likes him.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: A throwaway comment Deadlox made in one of their Epic Jump Map videos says that only Sky can hear Squid talk.
- Especially evident in Epic Jump Map Sky Butter Edition, when the trio of Sky, Deadlox and MinecraftUniverse encounter their first squid obstacle. They each have their own POV's recorded, and only in Sky's do you hear the squids. The other two have Sky screaming at nothing. To take it Up to Eleven, if you watch MinecraftUniverse's POV, he yells loudly at one point in the squid obstacle, then it switches over to Sky's POV of the same moment, in which MinecraftUniverse's voice is drowned out by the squids.
- The Cuckoo Lander Was Right: Sky enlisted the help of Husky Mudkipz to do the Too Much TNT mod, and in this video we finally see (and more importantly, hear) the Squids harassing someone besides Sky in a Mod showcase...
- There was also the squid invasion.
- Trade Mark Favorite Food: Butter. Butter and sushi.
- Trash the Set: The group do this sometimes by blowing up the map they played, but a more conventional example occurs in the Crazycraft finale when they fight the King. They choose to spawn him in the overworld (Bashur got the spawner legitimately) and the battle is so destructive it utterly demolishes their house and well...everything in a several mile radius of it.
- True Companions: Sky and MinecraftUniverse.
- To give you an idea, whenever Sky is startled in their co-labs, he yells for him (Jason) for help.
- To a certain extent, all of Team Crafted note could be considered this.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sky and Deadlox. They always attack each other in their co-labs.
- As Deadlox reveals in the "Bad Santa" video, he and Sky keep PvP on "because [they] don't always agree with each other".
- The Unreveal: It's never explained why Mitch (BajanCanadian) was in this round of "Cops and Robbers 3.0". He clearly wasn't supposed to be there, given he wasn't in the Skype call and all.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: "Deaf Hunger Games" is just a regular game of "Hunger Games" with HuskyMudkipz... except Sky's headphones kept cutting out, meaning he couldn't hear "80% of it".
- Wham Episode: The "Derpy Squids" mod showcase. The Squids are getting smarter, building their own army in their own dimension to destroy Sky. This also gives a reason for the Sky Army's recruitment.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sky kept yelling at Deadlox for ruining their "The Towers" playthrough.
- Sky (along with Ssundee at first) kept freaking out that Jerome kept adding people to the Skype call mid-recording in the 5th Hide and Seek video.
Jerome: (apologetic) I wanted to add more friends!
- Who's Laughing Now?: Munching Bratato has had a couple instances of this where he's snapped and gone on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge. First time he nearly killed Sky, second time he actually did, and every one else in a Survival Game.
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: A variation: the start of the fourth episode of the "Pixelmon" seriesnote revealed that someone accidentally showed the server's IP in one of their videos, leading to the world getting griefed. Now, while they were laughing at the absurdity of the situation instead of being mad about it, this caused a good chunk of their progress to be undone, like the Apricorn farm.
- Why Did It Have To Be Ladder/Lava Parkour?!
- In effect with Clusterchunk as well. As Sky himself says, he's so bad that if you see him on a CC server, you "fucking run the other way".
- The Adrenaline series bring us... cactus parkour. We're not joking. It exists. And Sky hates it.