Video Game / The Simpsons: Bart vs. the World
The Simpsons: Bart vs. the World
is the second of two Platform Games
released by Acclaim
in 1991 based on characters from The Simpsons
. Originally developed by Imagineering
(who also developed the game's predecessor, Bart vs. the Space Mutants
) for the Nintendo Entertainment System
, it was ported to the Amiga
, Atari ST
, Sega Master System
and Game Gear
The game sends Bart on a tour of three continents, ostensibly for winning first prize in a dubious art contest hosted by Krusty the Clown, but really as a plan for the contest's judge and sponsor, Mr. Montgomery Burns, to fulfill his vendetta against Bart and his family.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Bar Slide: One Mini-Game includes jumping over drinks that Moe slides down his bar, while catching the power-ups.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: The Abominable Snow Burns is a humanoid monster living in the Arctic.
- Build Like an Egyptian: Egypt includes the obligatory Great Pyramid level.
- Combat Hand Fan: Fu Manchu Burns uses one of these to deflect Barts attacks back at him.
- Dem Bones: Skeletons that throw their skulls.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Beware of hopping mini-tornados.
- Fifteen Puzzle: Sliding around pictures of the Simpsons cast, as a Mini-Game.
- Generation Zerox: All of Mr Burns evil relatives are his spitting image despite being ridiculously distantly related (third cousin removed, second cousins uncle, etc.)
- Guide Dang It: Some of the unique Krusty items can be pretty difficult to find, one of these being in the first level, the Chinese Junk, where Maggie is hidden at the bottom of the ship by the rudder, which you'd have no reason to know is even there.
- 100% Completion: To get the Good ending as well as an extra level of the game, you must collect all the unique Krusty souvenirs in each level. To do that, you must touch the Simpson family members who are spread out across the levels, which will cause the items to spawn elsewhere.
- Level Goal: Most levels end at an exit door near a "MAP" sign.
- Magic Carpet: Ramses Burns is fought while he's flying on a magic carpet. Unlike the other bosses, there's no way to damage him personally, instead you have to unravel the carpet by pulling on a loose thread until he falls off.
- Magical Mystery Doors: The coffin maze in the penultimate level.
- Pop Quiz: The Simpsons trivia quiz Mini-Game.
- Stalactite Spite: The North Pole Ice Cave begins by deluging Bart with icicles.
- Super Drowning Skills: If Bart falls into the water, he won't even try to get out, he will literally just stand there and drown.
- Video Game Flight: Bart can become Bartman and fly for a limited time. Power-up only available in certain levels.
- Whack-a-Monster: The Abominable Snow Burns pops out of three holes.
- A Winner Is You: If you beat the game without collecting all the special Krusty items you just get Krusty telling you "Great work there, Barto... But it's too bad you didn't find all the unique Krusty items. We had a special surprise planned for you. Oh, well. Don't blame me — You didn't do it!"
- If you do complete the game with all the special items, you just get a cheap (albeit interactive) animation of Bart throwing cream pies at Burns and Smithers on Krusty's show. It didn't age well, but it was pretty cool back in the days when "A Winner Is You" was your standard reward for winning.
- World Tour: Bart goes to China, the North Pole, Egypt and Hollywood, California.
- Yellow Peril: Mr. Burns's third cousin in China, Fu Manchu Burns.