Characters: Tokyo Babylon
open/close all folders
The main characters
- Subaru Sumeragi
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi (OAV's)Subaru is the head of the Sumeragi Clan of onmyouji at the young age of sixteen, and is intensely dedicated to his work. Despite this heavy burden, he remains a sweet, naive boy who is devoted to helping those in need.He is very close to his twin sister Hokuto, and often relies on her for emotional support. He is easily flustered by Seishirou's grand romantic gestures toward him, but holds a great respect for the man, and gradually grows to rely on his support as well.Some tropes that apply to Subaru:
- Angst Coma - Heroic BSOD: He becomes catatonic after Seishirou attacks him.
- Angsty Surviving Twin
- Beware the Nice Ones: Shy, introverted, naive Subaru has his moments. He once nearly broke the arm of a guy who was harassing a blind man.
- Break the Cutie: Subaru is uncannily innocent and sweet, and suffers more and more as the series progresses. And he hasn't even gotten to X1999 yet...
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Subaru has the bad tendency of focusing too much in helping people that he falls sick very often. And even so, he pushes himself to the limit in order to finish his job. And he's not nearly recovered when he has to jump into another one.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Justified. The gloves are magical talismans which hide him from the man who marked him as a kid. They don't work
- Dream Weaver: He can dive into people's dreams and/or consciences, and see/influence them to help the "dreamers" deal with their problems. He uses this power on Midori and in X1999, on Kamui.
- Entendre Failure: Unless someone makes the point straight to his face, he will be as lost as a kid.
- Forgets to Eat
- Friend to All Living Things: Subaru loves animals, and often bonds with Seishirou over the animals at his practice. He yearns to go to college to be a zookeeper — however, his duties as clan head have made that dream all but impossible. This seems to be on purpose to go with his hardened demeanor after he got older and more depressed.
- Green Eyes (manga/artbooks) or Innocent Blue Eyes (anime.)
- Half-Identical Twins: With Hokuto.
- Luminescent Blush: He turns red as a tomato at the drop of a hat. Particularly when Seishirou starts flirting with him.
- Nice Hat: A constant feature of the outfits created for him by Hokuto.
- Onmyodo: A practitioner and child prodigy, and comes from a long line of fellow onmyouji.
- Parental Abandonment: His only shown relative is his grandmother, who lives in Kyoto. Subaru and Hokuto live on their own in Tokyo.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Subaru is introverted, naive, powerfully magical and the head of the Sumeragi family. Meanwhile, Hokuto is extroverted, energetic, fairly Genre Savvy, mostly-a-muggle and the spare child in the family.
- Theme Naming: Like Hokuto and Seishirou, Subaru is named after a constellation — "subaru" is the Japanese term for the Pleiades.
- Incidental Meaningful Name: Later on in X1999, it is revealed Subaru is one of the Seven Seals - each Seal being born under stars in the Pleiades. Both he (and Hokuto, being his twin) were born under the "north star" - but the literal name went to "Hokuto," who was born first. (See her section for more.)
- Waif Prophet: Subverted. Though Subaru looks waifish and mild, he is a combat-trained black belt. In volume six, he nearly breaks the arm of some punk who was harassing a blind man, and scares off the rest of the punk's friends with a look.
- His stature is pretty slight, but his main problem is that he often just doesn't take care of himself (such as forgetting to eat), particularly when he gets really busy (which is all the time).
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
- Yaoi Guys: With Seishirou, much to his embarrassment.
- Hokuto Sumeragi
Voiced by: Miki Itō (OAV's)Hokuto is Subaru's elder twin sister, and his loyal emotional support. She is a happy, energetic young woman, and incredibly skilled with her sewing machine. She is nowhere near as skilled as Subaru at magic, but makes up for it with perseverance (and a healthy dose of martial arts).She wishes only the best for her younger brother, but fears that his tender heart will only bring him pain. She eagerly encourages Seishirou and Subaru's relationship, hoping to make Subaru care about his own needs and feelings. Despite this, she often senses something just a little off about Seishirou...Some tropes that apply to Hokuto:
- Ambiguously Bi: She and the girl she rescued in the "Smile" side-story grew awfully close, and she even refers to "going on a date with her girlfriend" in a later arc, but we find out in the sequel that she fell in love with a male Dream Weaver when she used her Dream Walker powers on him by accident.
- Action Girl: While only average in spellcasting, she is quite the Badass Normal martial artist.
- Big Sister Instinct: Despite Subaru being the more powerfully magical of the two. She threatens to kill Seishirou if he hurts Subaru and she's only half-joking.
- Boyish Short Hair: As it helps her to sometimes play Twin Switch with Subaru and the girl totally rock it.
- Cat Smile
- Dream Walker: Revealed to have this power in X1999
- Expy: Hokuto's practically the inspiration for Card Captor Sakura's Tomoyo with her role as The Hero's closest emotional support and wardrobe expert.
- Fag Hag: She and Seishirou are fairly close friends, and often bake and shop together.
- The Fashionista
- Genki Girl
- Green Eyes: Which show her cheerful persona.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Subaru.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Confronts Seishirou and demands that she be killed in Subaru's place. He obliges, and holds her in his arms as she dies.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: With Subaru, of sorts. She's his sister, not his love interest, but she's self-sacrificing to the utmost to achieve his happiness.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Hokuto is extroverted, energetic, fairly Genre Savvy, mostly-a-muggle and the spare child in the Sumeragi family. This contrasts with Subaru who is introverted, naive, powerfully magical and the head of the family.
- Shipper on Deck: She is an insistent Seishirou/Subaru fangirl.
- Thanatos Gambit: As detailed later in X1999. Her Heroic Sacrifice was actually a gambit to both save Subaru's life and give Seishirou a Last-Second Chance. It backfired horribly.
- Supreme Chef: She says she's practising for her future Housewife's life.
- Theme Naming: Like Subaru and Seishirou, Hokuto is named after a constellation — "hokuto" is the Japanese term for Polaris.
- Incidental Meaningful Name: Both she and Subaru were born under the north star, so the name could have been given to either of them - but she was born first, and therefore was "the guide." There's more to them being born under a constellation; see Subaru's section for more.
- Yaoi Fangirl
- Seishirou Sakurazuka
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (OAV's)Seishirou is a friend of the Sumeragi twins; a warm, kind veterinarian in his mid-twenties. He likes to goof about with Hokuto, and constantly expresses his romantic intentions towards Subaru, to the latter's embarrassment. Despite his playful demeanor, he is a knowledgeable mentor to the twins, and often gives sobering commentary on the state of Tokyo and human nature.Hokuto suspects him of being the Sakurazukamori, the longtime rival of the Sumeragi clan — Seishirou always laughs the accusations off, as he, of course, has no magic ability...or does he? He does, and is. His powers as an onmyouji surpass Subaru's, and he has far fewer compunctions about using them to hurt others. Over the course of the series, his true nature (and the connections he has to Subaru's foggy memories of a meeting under a cherry tree) slowly comes to light.Some tropes that apply to Seishirou:
- Eye Scream: Takes a knife to the eye while protecting Subaru from a woman suffering a nervous breakdown. The eye is permanently damaged.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Friend to All Living Things: He is a kind and caring doctor to all the animals in his care, and often bonds with Subaru over their shared love of animals. This and the trope itself is all a deliberate act on Seishirou's part. He uses some of the animals in his care as sacrificial decoys to deflect the negative splashback that his magic would otherwise cause on him.
- The Glasses Come Off: Seishirou removes his glasses when he is in "Sakurazukamori" mode.
- Kindly Vet: Or so you'd think.
- Milky White Eyes: After his eye is injured. It's never clarified if his eye is totally missing and thus he wears a glass eye, or merely blinded to the point of being discolored. But more than likely it's merely blinded. In X1999 after Fuuma stabs Subaru in the same eye, after his bandage is removed, we see the same white blankness.
- Stalker with a Crush: He certainly is very touchy-feely with Subaru, and always knows where he happens to be, and always leaps to his protection. He does literally spy on him constantly with onmyoujutsu, and grows increasingly possessive of him. Of course, he still claims he feels nothing toward him.
- Theme Naming: Like Hokuto and Subaru, Seishirou is named after a constellation — "seishirou" is the Japanese term for Orion.
- Stoic Spectacles / Four Eyes, Zero Soul. Also ala Aizen, Seishirou's glasses were nothing more than a facade to make him look harmless.
- Straight Gay: Unless he's goofing around with Hokuto, he has absolutely no Camp Gay mannerisms.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Seishirou, as a sociopath, literally cannot comprehend normal human emotion. The bet he made with a young Subaru long ago was to see whether he could be made to love someone, and Seishirou claims Subaru failed. Claims.
- Yaoi Guys: With Subaru.
- The Sakurazukamori
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (OAV's)
- Affably Evil
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Big, Badass Bird of Prey: His familiar is a large hawk.
- Cradling Your Kill: He normally is showed holding his most recient victim to take them to the haunted sakura tree in order to bury them. He also cradled his mother and Hokuto after killing them.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Evil Counterpart: To Subaru as Seishirou and to the entire Sumeragi clan.
- Kick the Dog: Seishirou uses his veterinary practice for magical purposes - the backlash of his spells strike the animals instead of himself, often killing them.
- Also, just as Subaru realizes his love for Seishirou, the latter beats him to a pulp. He simultaneously explains, while breaking Subaru's arm and kicking him around the room, that despite his previous assurances of love he really feels nothing for anyone.
- Kill the Ones You Love. Inverted. Sakurazukamori are killed by the ones they love the most. It's how the job is passed down. In Seishirou's case he killed his mother
- Manipulative Bastard
- Onmyodo: As expected of the Sakurazukamori, and is more powerful even than Subaru and his grandmother.
- Secret Identity: Seishirou as the Sakurazukamori, though it was fairly obvious from the beginning.
- The Sociopath
- Walking Spoiler: Played with. Seishirou's identity was practically an Open Secret and it's crossed over into It Was His Sled territory especially due to the sequel in X1999.
Other characters — from the manga
- Lady Sumeragi
- The Cameo: In X, she and Subaru are still in contact and she worries a lot for his sake. And with VERY good reasons.
- Cool Old Lady: A more quiet version.
- Iron Lady: Rules the Sumeragi clan with a hand of steel inside a silk glove. She is a kind person underneath, however.
- Kimono Is Traditional: Very much so.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
- All of the Other Reindeer: She was hated by her classmates, who either ostrasized her or bullied her.
- Angst Coma: She went to sleep and simply didn't wake up.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: She and Subaru were friends as kids
- Rape as Drama: She was beaten and raped, and for worse the people around her weren't sympathetic to her plight.
- The old man and his daughter Sachiko
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sachiko, when Subaru explains the reason for her dad's death.
- No Name Given: The old man.
- No Hero to His Valet: Sorta. Sachiko thinks her old father is a total burden on her middle-to-low class family.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sachiko likes bananas a lot. And her dad is hit by a car while trying to get her some.
- Yuuya and his mother
- Eye Scream: Yuuya's mother crosses the Despair Event Horizon and attacks Subaru with a knife to try extracting one of his kidneys. Seishirou blocks the attack... and guess what happens.
- Ill Boy: Yuuya, who needs an urgent kidney transplant. His twin sister Maya already died due to the same illness
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: While Seishirou would have revealed himself as the Sakurazukamori sooner or later, Yuuya's mother attack on him and Subaru made it happen even sooner.
Other characters — from the OAV
- Kazumi Asou
Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru
- Break the Cutie
- Broken Bird
- Cynicism Catalyst: She's driven to revenge because her beloved older brother was murdered by Shinji Nagumo.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Subverted. She adores her brother's dog which she's taking care of now... but she kills the poor doggie to cast a spell that she wanted to use to punish Shinji.
- Revenge: Her motivation. It backfires HORRIBLY on her.
- Shinji Nagumo
Voiced by: Shuichi Ikeda
- Ambition Is Evil
- Born Lucky: Horrifyingly deconstructed, as he weaponizes his extremely good luck to stage accidents where he will at most get broken limbs, but his targets will die. This is how he killed both Kazumi's brother and his own boss.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Elevator Failure and Fright Death Trap: How he kills his boss. This is also how Subaru learns about him, as the old man had hired him to check on the building before dying...
- Smug Snake
- Villainous Breakdown
- Winds of Destiny, Change: His powers.
Voiced by: Koichi Yamadera
Voiced by: Emi Shinohara
- Psychic Powers: Post-cognition, alias seeing the past via touching objects with her bare hands. It's said to be a very rare ability among psychics themselves.
- Lamarck Was Right: It was inherited from her mother.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Very softspoken, sweet and traditional. But refuses to stay put and let more girls be victimized by the Serial Killer, despite how dangerous it is and her mom's Heroic Sacrifice
- Satoru Miyazaki
Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka
- Book Worm
- Hot Librarian
- Psychic Powers: ... And he has Mirei's same abilities. No wonder they fall in love.
- Mundane Utility: He actually uses it in his hobby. He picks up rocks and, with his powers, he learns where they came from and any stories behind them.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A Rare Male Example, and pretty much the template that CLAMP used to create Fujitaka and Aoki
- The Subway Killer
Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto
- Bishōnen: When we get to see his face, he turns out to be a gorgeous young man with white hair.
- Cute Psycho: As a child.
- Enfante Terrible: He accidentally strangled his little sister to death when he was less than 10 years old.
- Nice Hat: Wears a black cap.
- Serial Killer: He murders young women who take the subway alone.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Beautiful white hair. Totally unhinged mind and heart.