YMMV: Tokyo Babylon
- Growing the Beard: The first chapter barely touches social themes and comes across as a comedy. However, the beard appears next chapter.
- Ho Yay: See CLAMP for details.
- It Was His Sled: Seishirou is: the Sakurazukamori, the man Subaru met nine years ago, a murderous sociopath, and Hokuto's killer. The first two aren't much of a twist, but the last two make for one hell of a Wham Episode.
- Magnificent Bastard: Seishirou turns out to be a massive asshole. But he's one very, very stylish and efficient SOB. And if anything, he becomes even more of a Magnificent Bastard in ''X1999.
- Memetic Molester: Seishirou, thanks to a certain annex and his tendency to be... well, Seishirou.
- Narm: You either laugh or facepalm with the OVA theme song "Kiss Kiss." It repeats the same Engrish words over and over.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: The manga was aimed at teenagers in Japan but its themes are surprisingly dark. Before the end, the authors received lots of letters asking for a happy ending but this did not change the writers' plan.