Characters: The Pendragon Adventure
Main CharactersRobert "Bobby" Pendragon
The main character of the series and the Traveler from Second Earth.
- Action Survivor: Starts out as this because he has no idea what's going on and is trying to survive.
- Amazon Chaser: He crushes on Courtney who scares the other boys with her strength of will and merciless competitve streak. He's also attracted to Loor, the Proud Warrior Race Girl with the Simple Staff.
- Big Man on Campus: "School came easy, I kicked ass at sports" etc.
- Catch Phrase: "And so we go."
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dirty Coward: Starts out as this because a Traveler's duty sounds "noble and all" but far too dangerous.
- First-Person Smartass: His journals have a lot of snark
- Has a Type: He tries to reassure a jealous Courtney by saying that that Loor isn't his type but she disagrees. "We can both kick your ass."
- The Leader: He is expected to replace Press as a Charismatic Type in Denduron and lead the revolution. This freaks him out.
- Last Name Basis: To anyone he meets on his adventures, he's known as Pendragon.
- Lovable Jock: He's a great friend to Mark.
- Magnetic Hero: He ends up making friends on all the territories, even if the Travelers aren't initially friendly to him.
- The Protagonist: He narrates the journals and the other half revolve around him.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Before Uncle Press dragged him to a Flume.
- Took a Level in Badass: In book six; after Saint Dane beats the everloving shit out of him, he decides to take fighting lessons from Loor and Alder.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's scared of snakes and clowns.
Bobby's best friend since childhood. Despite being a nerd while Bobby was a jock, the two got along very well and had many common interests.Courtney Chetwynde
Bobby's girlfriend. After years of UST
, they finally hooked up right before Bobby got sent away in the beginning of the series.
- Alliterative Name: Sort of.
- Heroic BSOD: Following the events of Black Water and the shifts in her life upon entering high school. Fortunately, she finds it in herself to climb out of her funk and take her life into her own hands. Hey, she isn't a Plucky Girl for nothing.
- Lovable Jock: Merciless at volleyball and all business off the court but still a Nice Girl.
- Mouthy Kid: She mouths off to everyone up to and including a police officer.
- Plucky Girl: Her determination is often described as "a girl on a mission."
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Ultimately marries and growns old with Bobby.
The TravelersPress Tilton
Bobby's cool uncle and the one responsible for whisking him away to save the territories.
- Badass Longcoat
- Distressed Dude: Captured early on in book 1
- Cool Uncle: Described as such in the first journal entry: an uncle who breathes in with exciting stories and does cool things with nephew, like riding in a jet.
- The Obi-Wan: Bobby's wise old mentor-figure.
- Time Abyss: Rivals Saint Dane in age.
- Travel Cool: Whether it's by expensive motorcycle or by fancy sports car, Press likes to travel in style.
The main antagonist of the series.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Is described as wearing a black Asian suit.
- Bald of Evil: After Black Water.
- Big Bad
- The Chessmaster: His plans reach across all of Halla.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Part of his Evil Plan, see Omnicidal Maniac.
- Evil Overlord: During The Soldiers of Halla.
- Evil Plan: His end goal is killing the seventy thousand survivors of the ninth book's climax and destroying all the free will in Halla, as well as Halla itself. This would allow him to become the new god of the Dark Solara and new Halla.
- Faux Affably Evil: Despite what he is, he can be VERY charming...
- Gambit Roulette: His plan that stretches across the entire series is either this, or one very long case of Xanatos Speed Chess.
- A God Am I: He wants to be a god and thinks he is close.
- Humanoid Abomination: He's essentially an evil spirit as old as sentient life itself wearing a material body over which he has absolute control.
- Humans Are Bastards: Believing and advocating this is what got him here.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Coldhearted and ruthless.
- In Their Own Image: His Evil Plan.
- Kick the Dog: Does this through the entire series, and even in his first appearance where he hypnotizes a random homeless guy into jumping in front of a subway train.
- Kill and Replace: Either the people he poses as suffered this, or they never existed at all, just being Saint Dane in disguise the entire time.
- Manipulative Bastard: This is the part of his Magnificent Bastardry that allows him to win and become ruler of Halla in the ninth book.
- Non-Indicative Name: This guy is no saint.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Killing everyone in Halla.
- Physical God: Wants to become this, and is already damn close to one.
- Red Right Hand: His eyes.
- Take Over the World: All of Halla, more like.
- Time Abyss: Is as old as sentient life itself.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Indulges in this a few times in the series, to the point where Bobby once falsely assumes it is he who is a woman he knows.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: The reason for his high supply of Paranoia Fuel.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He apparently started out this way but fell down the slippery slope
- We Can Rule Together: Tries this on Bobby a few times.
The Traveler from Zadaa.Osa
Loor's mother. She's from the previous generation of Travelers.Alder
The Traveler from Denduron. A young Bedoowan knight.Vo Spader
The Traveler from Cloral. Works as an aquaneer.Vincent "Gunny" Van Dyke
The Traveler from First Earth. Works as a bell captain at the Manhattan Tower Hotel.Aja Killian
The Traveler from Veelox. Works as a phader for Lifelight.Kasha
The Traveler from Eelong. Works as a forager.Nevva Winter
The Traveler from Quillan. For a while, anyway.Elli Winter
Nevva's mother. She was supposed to be the Traveler from Quillan, but declined, so the job was passed to Nevva. After Nevva's betrayal, she took up the job in her absence.Siry Remudi
The Traveler from Ibara. Appearing at first to be little more than a thieving delinquent, he revealed himself to Bobby as the leader of the Jakills, a gang of kids devoted to knowing the world beyond their island.
- Rebel Leader: Subverted; the Jakills may have had a noble cause in mind, but they really didn't know what they were getting into.
- Rebellious Spirit: By the time Bobby meets him, he has a complete distrust of authority and is flagrantly disregarding the laws.
- Seeker Archetype: For much of his life, he sought out the truth about the island he lived on and the world beyond it.
The Traveler from Third Earth. Works as a teacher/librarian.
- Badass Bookworm: In his prequel story, where he uses both his knowledge and his hiking experience to protect his class on an outdoors field trip gone wrong.
Other CharactersAndy Mitchell
A school bully who occasionally tormented Mark.Boon
Kasha's acolyte and childhood friend.Veego and LaBerge
A brother-and-sister duo who are in charge of the Quillan Games. LaBerge handles the creative side, while Veego runs the technical side.Wu Yenza
Spader's boss. She later becomes his acolyte.Saangi
Loor's younger adoptive sister and later acolyte.Alexander Naymeer
The Traveler of Second Earth in Bobby's absence. Saint Dane has him set up the cult of Ravinia on Earth. He was supposed to be Bobby's mentor, but was given Mark's ring by Saint Dane, preventing that.