open/close all folders
Present Bronze Saints
See the Bronze Saint characters page from classic series.
18th Century Bronze Saints
Pegasus TenmaA young orphan who was taken in by Suikyo along with Alone. Although he was selfish as a child, he came to realize the error of his ways and grow up to be a strong, dedicated young man. He's deeply loyal to Alone, who forgave his selfish actions as a child. Suikyo taught him how to burn his cosmo, a skill that would later save his life when he donned the Pegasus cloth in order to free Alone form Hades' possession.
- Anime Hair
- Big Bad Friend: His best friend Alone winds up as the vessel for Hades.
- Bully Hunter: He would always take care of Alone's bullies.
- Expy: Of Seiya.
- The Hero: Essentially takes on this role as Seiya is stuck in a coma.
- Honor Before Reason: Defied! He's one of the few saints who realizes that the new saints from the future came to help, so he ignores many reestablished rules in order to help them. He also is willing to work with the Gold Saints whom just a moment ago were trying to murder his best friend because he understands that they had the best of intentions, and are likely his best bet on getting Alone back to normal. There's also his Know When to Fold 'Em moment below.
- Homoerotic Subtext: With Alone. His entire talk about the importance of feeling another man's warmth and how that changed his ways.
- Hot-Blooded: He's pretty much a carbon copy of Seiya, after all.
- Identical Stranger: Shun mistook him for Seiya, and mistook Seiya's spirit for him. His character design would be completely identical if his clothes turned red when he put on his cloth.
- Jerk Ass: Was one as a child, but grew out of it.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: When he realizes that Shion and Dohko are simply too much for him, he chooses to hop on his horse with Alone and ride away to safety instead of pushing his luck.
- Made of Iron: Notable in that he hasn't had much experience using a cloth, but he was still powerful enough to impress two gold saints.
- That Man Is Dead: His bratty, selfish self as a child. He's not proud of it.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack": He named his horse Pegasus.
18th Century Gold Saints
Aries ShionSee Saint Seiya: Gold Saints
- Animal Motifs: Bull
- The Big Guy
- Defiant to the End: With his encounter with Geruda Suikyō.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Expy: Of Aldebaran.
- Honor Before Reason: Subverted. He eventually lets Shun and Tenma pass.
- Killed Off for Real
- The Worf Effect
Gemini Cain and Abel
- Cain and Abel: And ironically, Abel is the evil one.
- Expy: Of Saga.
- Evil Brunette Twin: Abel has darker hair than Cain.
- For the Evulz: Seems to Abel's only reason to cast Genromaoken on Suikyo.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Ironically enough, Cain is the Jekyll when Abel is the Hyde.
- Shadow Archetype: To the point their names are written with the kanjis of "Light" and "Shadow".
- Split Personality: Taken to the extremes. Cain and Abel litteraly can't appear at the same time. If Cain is being dominant, Abel dissapears and viceversa. They even go to the extreme to call each other their own shadow. Abel even implies that he's a second personality created by Cain to throw into Abel all his evilness.
- Animal Motifs: Crab
- Boisterous Weakling
- Dirty Coward
- Evil Redhead
- Expy: Of Deathmask.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: He himself admits that he'll just defect to the winning side.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Inverted. His judgement about people is almost always accurate, which is something he is quite aware, and boastful of-but he's right, despite being the asshole he is. For example, he knows that Suikyou is a resolved man that hasn't lost his loyalty to Athena, and will stop at nothing in order to convey his message, and that Ikki is very likely to inherit the Leo cloth so he begged Kaizer to stop beating Ikki..
- I Surrender, Suckers: His way to deal with specters is to convince them he's on their side for them to lower their guards so Deathtoll can send them back to Yomotsu, inside coffins this time.
- Sissy Villain
- Animal Motifs: Lion
- The Beastmaster: He has a giant lion named Goldie who also helps guard the sanctuary.
- Honor Before Reason: Even when Goldie makes it clear that Tenma and Shun mean no harm, he still doesn't let them through.
- Undying Loyalty: To Athena.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack": He named his lion Goldie, which can cause some confusion, as the gold saints are often referred to as Goldies by western fans, particularly the impossibly huge Latin American following.
- Armor Is Useless: Played straight when Pisces Cardinale fired a rose through his Gold Cloth.
- Expy: Of Shaka, but his role mirrors that of Aiolos.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Enlightenment Superpowers
- Time-Delayed Death: He was hit by one of Pisces Cardinale's roses. He took it out but he's slowly bleeding out. Athena healed him as thanks for protecting her.
Libra DohkoSee Saint Seiya: Gold Saints
- Bishōnen: When he appears fully.
- Conflicting Loyalty: He should be loyal to Athena as a Gold Saint, but owes a debt to Odysseus.
- Expy: Of Milo
- Invisibility: His gimmick. Not a permanent example, and for much Squick factor when he appears, his veins and blood vessels appear first.
- Meaningful Name: Appropriately, his name means "Scarlet" in French.
- Worthy Opponent: Is properly impressed with Shiryu reaching a new threshold of resolve and enlightenment, embodied by the dragon on his back acquiring a gem as a proof of his indomitable forbearance.
- Animorphism: Got transformed into a centaur by Odysseus, with his lower half becoming the body of his beloved horse Tanya.
- Ultimately subverted.
- Adaptive Armor: Wears his Gold Cloth in its object form, that is an actual centaur!
- A Boy and His X: Used to have this relationship with Tanya.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He wished for his beloved horse to be resurrected, in any way, any shape, as long as he could be with her again. He got turned into a centaur (or so he thought), and did not expect it, but it fulfilled his wish.
- Body Horror: His transformation in the initial stage. He even mentions having initially an unnatural growth in his back, and how his feet turned into hooves, before having a full fledged centaur body.
- Ultimately subverted when Athena gives him a Tomato in the Mirror reveal
- Conflicting Loyalty: Very surprisingly! From what we can see so far, is totally loyal to Odysseus when he should be loyal to Athena. This especially does not sit well with Hyoga as this smears the name of Sagittarius, which until in the series now was synonymous to Undying Loyalty!
- Expy: Notably averted! He is absolutely nothing like his successor Aiolos.
- Fatal Flaw: Shares this flaw with Hyoga of all people in regards to loved ones! Hyoga even points this out to his face with a poignant "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Legendary Weapon: Turns out the arrow Marin found in 1990 was the Ultimate Arrow of Sagittarius, bestowed upon the Sagittarius Gold Saint. Gestalt tries to use it to prove if Athena is the real deal, and she succeeds in stopping the arrow.
- Involuntary Transformation: Played with. He certainly did not turn willingly, but once he realized that was how Odysseus would grant his wish, he accepted it.
- Subverted when it is revealed by Athena he did not transform at all.
- Magic Feather: Odysseus actually tricked his mind into believing he had been turned into a centaur, to allow him to cope with the loss of his favorite horse.
- Meaningful Name: Being the fusion of a man and a horse, yes, this is appropriate. Doubly so when Athena tells him he lost sight of his very own boundaries, and his warped perception bled into reality. This went so far as to make other people recognize him as a centaur, explaining why initially Hyoga seems to have thought he was facing an unmanned Cloth!
- Animal Motifs: Goat
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Expy: Of Shura.
- Razor Wind
- Katanas Are Just Better
- An Ice Person
- Expy: Of Camus
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Can honestly be viewed as this compared to most of the other Gold Saints. He does not take Hyoga's story concerning a wounded Athena at face value, but he comes to realize that he is very much devoted to her, and that he can approve of his character after fighting him.
- Animal Motifs: Fish
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- '80s Hair: Averted, his hair is actually a cute little layered bob.
- Expy: Of Aphrodite.
- Flower Motifs
- Redemption Equals Death
- Short Hair with Tail
- Animal Motifs: Snakes
- Big Bad Ensemble: Seems to be this with Hades
- The Medic: His most prominent skill is to heal people. From any injury and illness, even death.
- Reincarnation: According to legend, Odysseus was considered the reincarnation of the god Asclepios.
- World's Strongest Man: Said to be the most powerful Saint.
The Satallites are Artemis's equivalent to Athena's saints. They're warriors dedicated to protecting the moon goddess, almost completely consisting of women archers.
- Homoerotic Subtext: For Artemis.
- Number Two: Is this to Artemis.
- Rapunzel Hair: A really long '80s Hair
- Woman in White
- Annoying Arrows
- Boisterous Weakling
- Hoist by His Own Petard: She was about to finish Shun off when Ikki appeared and threw one of her arrows back at her.
Gods and Goddesses
Athena/ Saori KidoAfter Hades' defeat, Saori takes care of the comatose Seiya. She eventually discovers that Seiya's heart is slowly being penetrated by Hades sword of hatred, which will kill him in three days. Saori chooses to save the life of the man who did so for her so many times and travel back in time in order to destroy Hades' sword in the previous holy war.See Saint Seiya Gods characters page from classic page for more info.
ArtemisThe Goddess of the Moon and the Hunt, and sister to Athena. Athena goes to her seeking a means to travel back in time in order to destroy Hades' sword and save Seiya. Artemis is so touched by her sister's devotion to Seiya that she agrees, and helps Saori make contact with Chronos, the god of time.
- Action Girl
- Black Eyes of Evil: She's not necessarily evil but...
- Lady of War: She lives up to her title of Goddess of the Hunt.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Athena.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: She is genuinely worried for Athena.
- The Faceless
- It Amused Me: The only justification given for his turning Athena into a baby is that it was a "prank" for her arrogance.
- The Voice
HadesDuring the climactic battle between Athena's saints and Hades in 1999, Seiya intervenes before Hades gets the chance to finish off Athena. It's then that the God of the Underworld recalls how in a previous life, the Pegasus Saint was a close friend of his...
- Big Bad Friend: In 1999 it was Shun he took control of. This time it's Alone, Tenma's best friend. In fact, the manga opens with him remembering how in a past life he was close friends with the Pegasus Saint.
- Demonic Possession
- Everybody Hates Hades
- Foregone Conclusion: No matter what happens, he still winds up skewered by Athena in 1999.
- Generation Xerox: Shun was not the first pure-hearted boy close to a Pegasus Saint he possessed.
- God of Evil
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
SuikyoTenma and Alone's childhood caretaker. He left the sanctuary after the death of his younger brother due to illness. He saved Alone and Tenma from freezing to death as children, and taught the latter how to use his cosmo and left him with the cloth box for the Pegasus Cloth.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He is not a fan of Deathtoll's Heel–Face Revolving Door practices.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Dohko's.
- First-Episode Spoiler: The fact that he defected to the Underworld Army is treated as a plot twist, but happens about three chapters in.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He defected because the Specters are holding his brother's soul hostage.
- Killed Off for Real
- An Ice Person: Makes sense as his Cloth when he was a Silver Saint is a chalice.
Griffon VermeerA specter with the power to control other people's movements. One of the three Judges.
- Berserk Button: Being compared defavorably to Suikyo. He could ignore most of the crap Deathtoll spouted at him, but that one comment had him open the can of Cruel And Unusual Punishment.
- Crazy-Prepared: Even when ending up sealed by Deathtoll, he still could leave one wire tying him to Deathtoll to force him to undo the seal.
- Expy: Of Minos.
- Genre Savvy: Quite aware that Deathtoll is waiting for the opportunity to pull a fast one on him.
- People Puppets: Applied to torture rather than outright manipulation, as Griffin Minos.
- Spikes of Villainy
AloneTenma's childhood friend, and a skilled painter. He's incredibly kind and selfless. He's tricked into taking Hades' sword by Pandora, invoking his possession by Hades.
- And I Must Scream: It's implied that he's still aware of himself within the darkness of Hades' soul, calling out to Tenma for help.
- Meaningful Name
- Pure Is Not Good
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Tenma.
- Technical Pacifist
- Girlish Pigtails: One in the side of her head.
- I Was Quite a Looker: More like "I Was Quite Cute".
- Really 700 Years Old
- Simple Staff
- Token Mini-Moe
- Vain Sorceress: She tricked Saori and Shun in order to take a handful of Athena's hair, in order to make a potion to regain her youth.
- Wicked Witch → Cute Witch
- Wild Card
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green