Characters: Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas
These are the characters from the manga/anime series Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas
. This page contains only characters that appear in the main series; for characters only present in the Gaiden
prequel, refer to this page
Some Spoilers are not masked.
open/close all folders
- Back from the Dead: When Alone killed him in the first battle of the Holy War; thanks to Athena's divine protection in the flower leash, his soul was kept alive and subsequently rescued by Yato and Yuzuriha from Yomotsu Hirasaka.
- Break the Cutie: Not very rare. Learning that the place where he grew up was ravaged by Specters and that his childhoold friend is behind it all. Aldebaran's death, while he was unconscious. Dohko's apparent death, and the fact that he blames himself (and Degel doesn't help by agreeing that it's his fault). Yato and Yuzuriha turning into stone. Finding himself face to face with his beloved mother, who came back as a Specter.
- Brown Eyes
- The Chosen One: According to legends, the Pegasus Saint is always a key character in the Holy Wars against Hades, so everyone seems to think Tenma is some kind of chosen one and must make it through the war and face Hades. Tenma initially seems to think this means he's Blessed with Suck.
- Attack Animal: Youma sees him as this, and intends to harvest his soul to use it as a weapon against Olympus.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Disappeared Dad: Until he resurfaced as a major villain.
- Enemy Mine: He ends up fighting Partita alongside Pandora (although she claims he will be the next one to die). After he saves her life and protects her, they become almost friendly towards each other. Still enemies, though.
- Expy: Of Seiya.
- Germany: Country of origin. More specifically, Pandora's castle.
- He was taken to an orphanage in Italy and grew up there, however. As accordng to daddy's plans.
- The Hero
- Heroic Sacrifice: Alongside Sasha and Alone, to banish Hades back into the Underworld and keep him trapped there.
- I Gave My Word: Takes this very seriously.
- Meaningful Name: Tenma (天馬) means "Heaven's steed" or "Pegasus/Winged horse". Chosen by Youma as he knew his son was the reincarnation of the legendary Pegasus Saint.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Both his signature moves consist on this.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Alone.
- Shonen Hair
- Signature Move: Pegasus Ryuseiken (Pegasus Meteor Fist).
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Yato and Yuzuriha. Also with Alone and Sasha.
- Took a Level in Badass: Many times, but especially after his Training from Hell with Defteros.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
Wolf Junkers, Lionet Bleriot, Bear Douglas and Hydra Curtis
Cerberus, Auriga and Sagitta
Vela Tsubaki, Puppis Lacaille (and Pyxis Rusk)
- Badass Boast: When confronted by Spectres and told he's outnumbered, lacking the advantage Albafica had and can't win, he crosses him arms and says he will fight them ALL as is. He backs it up (in a single attack and never unfolding his arms)!
- Badass Armfold
- Died Standing Up
- Expy: Of Aldebaran (original).
- Gentle Giant
- Green Eyes
- Honor Before Reason
- Implacable Man
- Lightning Bruiser: Burly, strong AND the fastest of all the Gold Saints.
- Meaningful Name: Rasgado means 'torn'.
- Mentor Archetype: To Regulus, Dohko, Tenma, Teneo, Salo and Celintha.
- That Man Is Dead: In a variation of this, Aldebaran claimed that he abandoned his real name, Rasgado, to dedicate himself to being a Saint. Thus he adopted 'Aldebaran', the name of one of the stars in the Taurus constellation.
- The Worf Effect: Averted.
- You Gotta Have Gray Hair
- Big Damn Heroes: Shows up and saves Tenma, Yato and Yuzuriha when they're completely surrounded by Veronica's horde of zombies.
- Dead Person Conversation: To Shion and Tenma.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death by Flashback
- Dynamic Entry: "I'm sorry, queeny, but your dolls are going back to the Underworld now!"
- How he meets up with Thanatos and Hypnos.
- Expy: Of Deathmask.
- Evil Counterpart: To Tenma, although he isn't really evil. Both are young men raised in Italy who lost their families very early on, faced a difficult life, were recruited by Gold Saints, brought into the Sanctuary to train and ultimately became talented Saints themselves. Lampshaded by Athena and Pope Sage.
- Fastball Special: Pulled this on Yato.
- Foe Yay: With Veronica.
- Four Is Death: Fourth zodiacal sign, represented by a guy who sees spirits and whose power is deeply related to death and supernatural.
- Sociopathic Hero: Hinted at.
- Italy: Country of origin.
- Meaningful Name: Means "Rascal" or "Rogue".
- Playing with Fire: One of his techniques.
- Psychotic Smirk: Yup. Develops into a Slasher Smile at times.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Slasher Smile: Manigoldo is a huge fan of this trope. He has this expression when he burns Veronica to death with his Ignis Fatuus attack.
- Sole Survivor: In the anime, he is revealed to be the Sole Survivor of a massacre in his hometown.
- Thanatos Gambit: On Thanatos himself, ha!
- Troubled, but Cute: He sure would wear a jacket and ride a motorcycle a if he lived nowadays.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Angst Coma: Hypnos gets him trapped deep inside the Dream World as soon as he falls into a coma, but he doesn't make any effort to get out. Out of guilt (see entry below).
- Bodyguard Crush: Strongly implied to be in love with Sasha.
- Combination Attack: Twice. Once with El Cid, the other instance with Shion and Regulus.
- Declaration of Protection: Says this to Athena after snapping out of his Angst Coma.
- Determinator: His eyes were blinded, his body was broken, his heart ripped out, his consciousness fading away, but through sheer willpower, his body still moves and is able to perform the Athena Exclamation.
- Expy: Of Aiolos.
- Eye Scream
- Good Wings, Evil Wings
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Alone shoots his own arrow back at him.
- It's All My Fault: Thinks it was him who caused the Holy War by taking away Athena from Hades' side.
- Stupid Good: Even worse than Aldebaran. He let Sphinx Pharaoh rip his heart out just to prove that he was completely loyal to Athena when he could have kicked his ass easily (I mean, if he manages to do it without his heart in place...). Even if he does manage to perform Athena's Exclamation to allow everybody else to pass as a last stand, it still feels like a pointless death.
- Meaningful Name: Sisyphus was a king punished by the Gods for his arrogance: they made him roll a boulder up a hill to redeem himself, but before the boulder got to the top, it would always roll back down, no matter how many times he tried.
- The Obi-Wan: To Leo Regulus, his nephew.
- Power Fist: Although he does have a named technique, his most effective attack to date is an unnamed Cosmo-infused Power Fist.
- Shonen Hair
Capricorn El Cid
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: In the form of his arms infused with his cosmos.
- Combination Attack: With Sisyphus.
- Cynicism Catalyst: El Cid was never a happy-go-lucky man, but the misfortunes suffered by his close friends — the accident that rendered Felser's arm useless and the death of Mine, after a long struggle against tuberculosis — turned him downright sour.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He loses his right hand after his signature attack is reflected towards him.
- Expy: Of Shura.
- Handicapped Badass: Lost his right hand and part of his right arm, suffers of blood loss and shock, but still manages to defeat the dream gods.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Not a single ouch when his arm is cut off. Icelus taunts him about this, to no avail.
- Named After Somebody Famous: After Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar or El Cid Campeador, the famous Spanish soldier and General who fought against the Moors.
- Taking the Bullet: He is killed by Oneiros's self-destruction while pushing the dream god away so the explosion couldn't reach and kill Tenma as Oneiros intended.
- Signature Move: Excalibur, which goes unnamed until he deems it perfect just before his death.
- The Stoic
Garuda Aiacos / Suikyo
- Combat Tentacles: The vines in his Surplice act this way.
- Gender-Blender Name: Yes, a male named Queen.
- Mercy Kill: He claims to have killed his partner Gordon so he wouldn't have to live with the humiliation of having been defeated and rendered powerless.
- The Nose Knows: He's able to smell blood to the point of distinguishing the particular odor of each person's blood. That's how he discovers that Dohko is hiding a vial with Athena's blood, and that the Gold Saint himself was infused with the divine blood.
- Off with His Head!: His preferred method of killing. He does this to countless soldiers in the Sanctuary and attempts to finish Dohko this way.
- Also the way he kills Minotaur Gordon.
- Razor Wind: His signature move seems to consist on this.
- Signature Move: Blood Flower Scissors.
Cait Sith Cheshire
Deadly Beetle Stand
Mephistopheles Youma Kairos
Gods and Other Deities
- Ascended Extra: In the anime, where he's the one to benefit more from Adaptation Expansion out of the four Dream Gods, being the only one aside from Oneiros to get actual speaking lines after their fusion. Apparently, he's kind of a an Ensemble Darkhorse in Japan, more precisely his Female Form.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Creepy Souvenir: He intended to keep El Cid's severed arm as a souvenir.
- Crossdressing Voices
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dark Chick of the Dream Gods.
- Depraved Bisexual: Arguably. He kinda comes out looking like this since he kinda flirts with anything that moves, specially guys.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Actually, he pretends to be a lady...
- Creepy Crossdresser
- Though when his soul appears again merged with the other Dream Gods, it has his female body appearance, which may indicate the he/she's transsexual, if you take into account that real transgender people consider themselves to be men/women stuck into bodies of the opposite gender. You could also theorize that only her Soul Jar is male, as Oneiros mentions they were using temporary bodies at the time, though one may wonder why she would choose/make a male host if she prefers to be a girl. Then again, Phantasos is not the most sane person out there...
- Fusion Dance
- Meaningful Name: Comes from the word Phantasos (apparition) of the Oneiroi in Greek Mythology. He appears in dreams in the form of inanimate objects.
- Show Some Leg: When using his disguise as a girl.
- Art Initiates Life: Inversion: Everything he paints will die.
- The Atoner
- Big Bad: Until Hades's real awakening, upon Alone's defeat.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Brainwashed and Crazy: And how.
- Death Seeker
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Subverted. Alone's eyes are quite vivid, but full of soulcrushing, heartbreaking sadness.
- Expy: Arguably, of Shun.
- Fluffy the Terrible: His little dog can turn into Cerberus.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Alongside Tenma and Sasha, to banish Hades back into the Underworld and keep him trapped there.
- Insane Troll Logic: Why he decided to kill everyone. You only suffer if you're alive, if you're dead then you will not suffer anymore, therefore death is salvation from suffering.
- Love Makes You Evil: He loves people, all of them, to death.
- Meaningful Name: Lampshaded by Tenma.
- Pure Is Not Good
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Tenma.
- Shonen Hair
- Stepford Smiler
- Taking You with Me: His plan was to use the Lost Canvas to have the others kill him while he sealed Hades within himself.
- Technical Pacifist
- Tears of Blood
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Sasha and Tenma.
- Utopia Justifies the Means
- Villain Teleportation: Really fond of appearing out of nowhere and doing something very nasty.
- We Can Rule Together: Proposes this to Tenma and is rejected, of course.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He really believes that death means salvation.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- A Magic Contract Comes with a Kiss: With Alone.
- Animal Motif: Snakes, both because Reptiles Are Abhorrent and because Snakes Are Sexy.
- Awful Truth: So Pandora's dear best friend, whose death she explicitly ordered, wasn't the one who took away her brother after all. She was innocent. Oh well.
- Blade on a Stick
- Bodyguard Crush: On Rhadamanthys.
- Cat Fight: Averted with Athena. She confronts her over Alone's ownership, gets in her face and almost slaps her but Tenma intterrupts their impending scuffle by stepping between the two.
- The Corrupter: Pandora and Hypnos convince Alone that death is salvation, leading to his Face-Heel Turn.
- Dark Action Girl
- The Dragon: The purpose of her life is serving as Hades's Dragon every Holy War.
- To Alone until she discovers he was never possessed by Hades in the first place.
- Enemy Mine: She ends up fighting Partita alongside Tenma (although she claims he will be the next one to die). After he saves her life and protects her, they become almost friendly towards each other. Still enemies, though.
- Evil Counterpart: To Athena herself, although her role in Hades's troops mirrors that of Athena's Pope.
- Evil Is Sexy
- Germany: Country of origin.
- Harp of Femininity
- Karma Houdini
- Kneel Before Zod
- Ms. Fanservice
- Pet the Dog: She gets a small one before it becomes a Kick the Dog at the hands of Partita.
- Shock and Awe: What her Signature Move consists of. Also, as depicted in the anime, she may even discharge electricity when angered. Literally.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Big Damn Heroes: The one responsible for teleporting Yato and Yuzuriha away from the Lost Canvas when it was falling apart from the sky.
- Child Prodigy
- Expy: Of Kiki, though he looks suspiciously like Mu.
- Facial Markings
- Mass Teleportation: Able to teleport an entire army from the Sanctuary in Greece to the vicinities of the Forest Cathedral in Italy.
- Psychic Powers: Said to be Hakurei's most skilled disciple in terms of psychokinesis.
- Shonen Hair
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Light brown hair in the manga, light blue hair in the anime.
- Retcon: In the newest colored manga pages, her hair is now a bluish green close to her anime hair color.
- Back Story: Got one in the Taurus Gaiden
- Chickification: Shows no sign of having the strength of a former Saint trainee by the time of Taurus Gaiden
- Cool Big Sis: To Salo in the main manga, to the other orphans adopted by Cor Tauri in flashback part the Gaiden, and finally to Agasha and her younger brother in the "present day" of the Gaiden
- Parental Abandonment: abandoned by her parents in the Labyrinth under Crete
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Quits trying to become a Saint after Aldebaran's death.
Sea Dragon Unity