Characters: Saint Seiya Bronze Saints
Voiced by: Tōru Furuya (1986-2004, 2012-present JP), Masakazu Morita (2005-2011 JP), Illich Guardiola (EN), Eric Legrand (FR), Jesus Barrero and Irwin Daayan (Latin American Spanish), Carlos Lladó (Spain), Ivo De Palma (ITA), Jefferson Utanes (Tagalog), Hermes Baroli (BR), Rogério Jacques (PT)
Voiced by: Hirotaka Suzuoki (1986-2004 JP), Takahiro Sakurai (2005 JP), Jay Hickman (EN), Marc François (FR), Enrique Hernández (Spain), Ricardo Mendoza and Christian Strempler (Latin American Spanish), Marco Balzarotti (ITA), Elcio Sodré (BR), Ely Martin (Tagalog), Nuno Távora (PT)
- A Friend in Need: In one of the saddest moments of the series he blinded himself to defeat Perseus Algol and save his friends.
- A Protagonist Is Ryu
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Barrier Warrior: Was this in the beginning, as he relied a lot on his very powerful shield.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Is very level-headed, kind, and soft-spoken when off-duty...
- Berserk Button: But attack or insult his friends, Saori or Shunrei, and you'll have a Screaming Warrior punching the living Hell out of you. Deathmask learnt it the hard way!
- Calling Your Attacks
- Rozan Shōryūha (Rozan's Rising Dragon Force): His signature uppercut.
- Rozan Ryūhishō (Rozan's Dragon Flight): Punches forward as if flying.
- Dragon no Ken (Dragon's Kick): This is the one he used on Cancer Deathmask (before he stops him with one finger).
- Rozan Hyakuryūha (Rozan's One Hundred Dragons Force): A hundred dragons made of cosmos come out.
- Rozan Kōryūha (Rozan's Enraged Dragon Force ): A kamikaze attack where Shiryu sends both him and the unlucky soul Shura into outer space thus killing them both Shiryu survived it afterwards.
- Excalibur: A move given by Capricorn Shura that allows him to focus his cosmos into a blade that is capable of cutting anything.
- Characterization Marches On: Was much cockier in his first appearances.
- Chinese People: Subverted, he's got many character traits but is ethnically Japanese.
- Disability Superpower: More like Handicapped Badass. After blinding himself in the fight against the Perseus saint, he retrains with his master and no longer needs his eyes to fight. Understandable since all saints have a sixth and seventh sense.
- Eye Scream: Plucked his own eyes out to fight against a guy who has a Medusa-inspired shield that almost petrified him, Seiya and Shun. And yeah, before you ask, he did try closing his eyes and blindfolding himself: neither alternative worked, and he had half his body petrified already.
- Fight In The Nude: Not literally, he just tends to voluntarily remove his armor more often than the rest of the cast.
- Genius Bruiser: Quite well-versed in legends and myths, pretty good at Indy Ploys, and The Lancer to Seiya's Idiot Hero.
- Handicapped Badass: Has been blinded more than once in the series, without losing his status as one of the most capable Bronze Saints.
- Hit Points: His back tattoo works as a life bar; the more faded it looks, the closer to death he is.
- I Owe You My Life: Seiya saved him from dying in the beginning, so Shiryu has a huge soft spot for him.
- Taking You with Me: To Capricorn Shura with a Dangerous Forbidden Technique. A dying Shura accept his mistakes and save Shiryu's life.
- The Lancer
- Limited Wardrobe: Same white Chinese outfit even if he'll strip out of them five minutes later.
- Making a Splash
- Meaningful Name
- Nice Guy:
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: To ridiculous levels.
- Power Tattoo: A dragon on his back, which grows fainter when he's near death.
- Rapunzel Hair: His black hair reaches his knees.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Seiya, Ohko and Young Dhoko.
- Also possibly Red to Hyoga's blue.
- Undying Loyalty: Even amongst the legendarily loyal five Bronze Saints, Shiryu stands out as the most loyal and willing to sacrifice himself for his friends. This willingness to sacrifice is the source of one of the BIGGEST Tear Jerkers in the series when Shiryu fights Perseus Algol.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: When he takes off his armor.
Voiced by: Koichi Hashimoto (1986-2004 JP), Hiroaki Miura (2005 JP), Jason Douglas (EN), Marc François (FR), Oscar Redondo (Spain), Rene Garcia and Luis Daniel Ramirez (Latin American Spanish), Mark Aspiras (Tagalog), Francisco Brêtas (BR), António Semedo (PT)
- An Ice Person
- Animal Motifs: Swans
- Awesome, but Impractical: His eyepatch may look cool, but not only does he lose part of his side vision but depth perception as well. It is not worth wearing considering he has it for symbolic reasons.
- Badass: Especially during the first half of the Sanctuary arc before the battles at the twelve houses. He practically curbstomp most of the opponents prior to that portion of the story including Silver Saints! Upon Camus's destruction of Natasha's ship, Hyoga gets a psychological breakdown and gets a big Badass Decay. Moreso after he killed Camus during the 12 house battles.
- Badass Baritone: Especially in the original Japanese version where he has such a deep voice that is really chilling. Especially when he is curbstomping opponents.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Averted, he's a good guy. Though he was more of a jerk at first - his defreezing was very fast, tho.
- In the manga he was a Sanctuary Spy sent by Camus to kill the others for using their Cloths for personal reasons.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half Japanese, half Russian.
- Eye Scream: Willingly lets Isaac hit his right eye as atonement.
- Calling Your Attacks: In the anime, Hyoga says his attacks in English, but in Russian in the manga.
- Diamond Dust (Kholodnyj Smerčh): His main attack. He sends bursts of cosmos into the air to cool it (possibly to draw air moisture) before unleashing a focus burst of cosmos that will freeze his opponents.
- Ice Ring (Koĺtso): Hyoga creates an ice ring that surrounds and paralyzes the opponent.
- Aurora Thunder Attack: Anime only, he fires multiple Diamond Dusts at his opponent (Anime variation of manga's Kholodnyj Smerčh.)
- Aurora Execution: The strongest form of Diamond Dust where the cosmos itself reaches absolute zero and is capable of freezing and killing the Gold Saint, Aquarius Camus.
- Freezing Coffin: An ability that will freeze an opponent in an unbreakable block of ice for a hundred years unless the cosmos of the oppenent or someone from the outside can match it.
- Freezing Fists: Anime only. A technique where Hyoga would either slide or leap toward his opponent and touch their legs to freeze them in place.This move uses a lot of cosmos and leaves Hyoga open for an attack.
- Not to mention, Hyoga is Genre Savvy enough to know how Freezing Fists only seems to work on very specific enemies: Mighty Glaciers or Stone Walls, due to lack of mobility and speed. The Crystal Saint, however, is fast and flexible enough to not have his handicap, using his legs to apply this to Hyoga himself.
- Cry Cute
- Dub Name Change: In Italy he's known as "Crystal".
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Averted, he's the only bronzie who misses his parents... albeit, that's because he's the only who knew a parent, they're all orphans.
- Human Popsicle
- Genre Savvy: Though he suffers from Genre Blindness while fighting the Gemini Saint
- Has a Type: At least in the anime, every girl/woman Cygnus Hyoga takes an interest in is blonde and blue-eyed, like his late mother to whom he is very attached.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He gets on the receiving end of it when Camus does it.
- I Owe You My Life: Shun used his cosmos to warm up his body in the House of Libra. Hyoga says this pretty much word by word.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for Isaac's Eye Scream incident.
- Limited Wardrobe: Hyoga really loves his blue shirt, jeans and brown leggings.
- Meaningful Name: In Japanese it means 'glacier'.
- Mommy Issues: He still misses his dead mom, very much. He can't exactly be blamed: she actually sacrificed her life for him when he was a child.
- The Smart Guy: Shiryu's rival in regards to quick thinking.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Obfuscating Disability: His eyepatch. Issac purposely missed and just caused some skin near it to bleed.
- Surfer Dude: In the DiC dub, and it's hilarious.
- When He Smiles: He almost never smiles, but when either happens... boy, it's a sight to behold.
Voiced by: Ryo Horikawa (1986-2004 JP), Yûta Kazuya (2005 JP), Chris Patton (EN), Serge Bourrier (FR), Jesús López (Spain), Jose Gilberto Vilchis and Alan Prieto (Latin American Spanish), Andrea De Nisco (ITA), Ulisses Bezerra (BR), Isabel Wolmar (episodes 1-73) and Marco Felgueiras (74-114) (PT)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: A brunette in the manga, green-haired in the anime.
- Shout-Out in Hades: Inferno when Shun became possessed by Hades. In the manga, it goes from Green to black only when Ikki failed to kill him. However in the anime, it immediately changed from Green to brown to show Shun was partially possessed but didn't become black until after Ikki's attempt.
- A Friend in Need: He warmed up Hyoga in the infamous House of Libra scene. He also gave up his Silver Star Necklace from his mother to pay Charon and allow him and Seiya to cross the river.
- Always Accurate Attack: Thunder Wave, as Shun stated, will always find its target and damages something.
- Awesome Yet Practical: The Nebula Chains.
- Badass Adorable: Cutest Bronze Saint ever.
- Barrier Sir
- Beware the Nice Ones: "You angered me, Saint. THAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST MISTAKE!" *bloodily kills Dark Andromeda*
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Extremely cute... er, good looking. One of the good guys.
- Calling Your Attacks: Shun uses English for his attacks.
- Nebula Chain: His main attack. Most of the time he just swings his fist and it will strike and wrap around his opponent.
- Rolling Defense: This has two forms. He either spreads his chain with the circle end out in a spiral below his feet. Anything that approaches it will be immediately attacked. The other version is where his circle end goes around him in a large cylinder allowing him to use his triangle end to attack from the top.
- Andromeda Thunder Wave: A seek and destroy version of his Nebula Chain. This move is capable of transending dimensions to find its target.
- Nebula Stream: A technique that doesn't require his chains and the first of his unlimited cosmos attacks(attacks that the longer they are used the more they grow in strength rather than deminish over time). He causes his cosmos to swirl around and paralyze his enemy.
- Nebula Storm: Shun's most powerful attack. A deadly version of Nebula Stream where his cosmos swirls and combines into a destructive storm.
- Spider Net: Shun creates a literal spider net to catch things.
- Spiral Duct: Another capture move that wraps around his opponent (a more elaborate form of Nebula Chain).
- Casting Net: The chains weave themselves into a net and capture the opponent.
- Boomerang Shot: The triangle end aims at the opponent, curves around and strikes from behind.
- Wild Trap: The chains weave into a trap on the ground and then surround and clamp the opponent.
- Great Capture: Just like Nebula Chain but wraps around large opponents.
- Chained to a Rock: As per his representative myth, how he earned his cloth.
- The Chick: Strictly speaking, not him but his cloth is the only one that's named after a human female. Also he's kinda effeminate and wears pink armor.
- Chick Magnet: This cute boy, in his introduction, had so many screaming fangirls that Jabu couldn't help lampshading the trope all over.
- Curtains Match the Window: In the anime.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Nebula Storm, which Shun only executes after his personal Godzilla Threshold is crossed.
- Deceptive Disciple: Lampshaded by his Master that he was hiding the fact that his cosmos had fully awakened to avoid hurting his training partners.
- Distressed Dude: Though he's not completely incapable of fighting, Ikki routinely bails him out of tough battles. Note this becomes routine only in the Anime.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: Tends to warn his enemies several times before using Nebula Storm and how powerful it can become.
- Don't Say Such Stupid Things: From Kanon after Shun admitted he was tired of fighting and gave up.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- The Fettered: Shun by virtue of his pacifist ideology would go to the point of nearly becoming a Martyr Withouta Cause on several occasions. However, he twice managed to bring about a Mook-Face Turn by sheer conviction and kindness, at other times he did kill when forced to, and at times he had to be bailed out by his older brother for his pacifism. At one point he held Hades, in Demonic Possession of his body, immobile thanks to the strength of his wish that his body not be used to harm others, allowing his brother a chance to kill Hades. Surprisingly, the Aesop managed all outcomes of his behaviour in the series, never outright making him a fool for his ideals.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: With Pandora when he is possessed by Hades.
- The Heart
- Heartwarming Orphan: In his flashback scenes with Ikki.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Manga only
- Intimate Healing: With Hyoga, in the anime.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: What Shun tells Seiya before his fight with Aphrodite.
- Limited Wardrobe: It figures that effeminate guy of the group adverts this. Shun's the only one in both the anime and manga to feature a greater variety of shirts, hooded shirts, pants his evil robes while possessed. Although he does enjoy his green shirt and white suspenders.
- Martyr Without a Cause: Yeah... he'll offer enemies who are Anti Villains his life if it brings them closer to a Heel-Face Turn, but it rarely works. Usually leads to Distressed Dude above.
- Let's not forget how he literally defrosted Hyoga the HumanPopsicle... and almost kicked it.
- Meaningful Name: Means 'an instant' as in how quickly he can change from offense to defense.
- Mind-Control Eyes: When possessed by Hades.
- More Expendable Than You: Despite his peaceful nature he knocked out Shiryu to allow Ikki to kill him and leave everyone else alone.
- Not Drawn to Scale: Shun got a whole lot bigger once he's possessed by Hades. Could be blamed on how crappy the animation studio was.
- Reluctant Warrior:
- Shower Scene: lord, did the fangirls squee.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Ikki.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Has many of the personality traits. Such as a peaceful nature hiding his strength or one of his techniques that involves setting a trap and sprining when attacked.
- She's a Man in Japan: In the French dub, they thought Shun was a woman and used a female to dub his voice for the first episode.
- Submissive Badass: He hates to fight but make no mistake. He will fight if you force him to.
- Thanatos Gambit: Shun accepted Hades' soul so he can be killed with Hades by Athena's saints. Too bad for him, his brother Ikki can't bring himself to do it.
- This Is Unforgivable / You Monster!: To Lyumnades Casa, for playing with people's feelings and loved ones.
- Training from Hell: Geographically speaking. In the manga, Tatsumi states that Andromeda Island is far worse than Death Queen Island to Ikki after he took Shun's place. Crops and people are capable of living on DQI while Andromeda Island appears lifeless. However Daidalos is a far nicer/saner Master than Guilty.
- Underestimating Badassery: A mistake that many tend to make when they first meet him.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Somewhat. The Andromeda Cloth was tailored to fit women (it even has the mask which is customary for female Saints), but Shun's slender build allows him to wear it seamlessly. And he did earn it through his training...
- Willfully Weak: When he showed his true power to his master he managed to break his master's SILVER CLOTH. And this is took place before the series began.
Voiced by: Hideyuki Hori (1986-2004 JP), Katsuyuki Konishi (2005 JP), Mike Mac Rae (EN), Henry Djanik (FR), Tasio Alonso (Spain), Marcos Patiño and Rafael Pacheco (Latin American Spanish), Tony Fuochi (ITA), Leonardo Camilo (BR), António Semedo (PT)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Same as his brother's hair, but to dark blue.
- His Cloth was all Orange in the Manga, while in the anime it was first whtie and orange, and then all blue.
- Aloof Ally
- Aloof Big Brother: Jerk Ass Facade
- Anti-Hero: Type IV —> Type III
- Back from the Dead
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: His experience from both the orphanage and on Death Queen Island caused him to go out and try to kill all of his friends and his little brother who he swore to protect in the past.
- Berserk Button: Don't harm Shun, lest he'll escort you to hell.
- Big Bad: the first in the manga.
- Big Brother Instinct: Only a couple of instances in the manga, a few more in the anime, but cranked up to the max in the movies.
- Broken Ace: Ikki is LEAGUES over the other Bronze Saints in fighting ability, and his Phoenix Cloth guarantees that, even if defeated, he comes back stronger and more dangerous every time. However, getting that Cloth was an ordeal that scarred him for life, and even having his friends as support he still has trouble coping with friendship and companionship.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Phoenix Illusion Demonic Fist (Phoenix/Ho-oh Genma-Ken): His signature attack. The attack itself is about the size of a pin tip that attacks the mind, brings out one's deepest fears and will either leave the victim in a mental mess or kill them.
- Ascension of the Phoenix's Wings (Houyoku Tensho): An extremely strong cosmos punch that takes the form of a fiery bird.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Half of the time he appears, he'll deliver one to his opponent. Even one of the 3 judges of hell.
- Curtains Match the Window: In the anime.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Pulls this on Shun right before his Heel-Face Turn.
- Evil Counterpart: Pre-Heel-Face Turn, to Shun.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: With Esmeralda.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: ADV dub with Dante.
- Marcos Patiño's delivery of his line in the LA dub was Very, VERY Hammy.}
- Heartbroken Badass
- Heel-Face Turn
- Hidden Depths: Deep down he really cares for both his friends and Athena and he really wishes to protect the earth. But his experiences at Death Queen Island left him as a very bitter and cynical individual.
- Hot-Blooded: Not as much as Seiya, but when he does let his hot blood run... oh boooooy.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- Go Mad from the Revelation: The reason he's the 1st Big Bad in the manga. Mitsumasa Kido is the father of the 100 children sent to become saints. Ikki completely snaps.
- Guile Hero
- Jerk Ass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Do not ever look at Shun in a bad way. To a more limited extent, to the other Saints.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: To Lyumnades Casa, he goes for Mind Rape and finish him with good old Curb-Stomp Battle. Lyumnades totally had it coming though.
- Limited Wardrobe: Even when he was a kid, he wears nothing but a red shirt and black pants (red pants and blue shirt in the anime).
- Manly Tears: When he realised that his brother was hades reincarnation.
- Mind Rape: Phoenix Illusion Demonic Fist
- Not So Different: With Mime and Bud. Like Mime he was a mass of hatred, like Bud he tried to kill his brother. He uses this to great effect in both fights, using both verbal calls and his Mind Rape powers to both break them down and make them understand his poV.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: To Lyumnades Kassa, for trampling his brother Shun's feelings, along with Seiya's and Hyoga's. Cue Mind Rape.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Shun.
- So Proud of You: To Shun, when learned that Shun accepted Hades' soul so he can give an opening for the saints to kill him and Hades.
- Teach Him Anger: And boy. Did it get results.
- Training from Hell: Deconstructed and Reconstructed
- Terror Anti-Hero: Can go from Type 2 to Type 5.
- The Unfettered: To further emphasize how different he is from his brother. While Shun is willing to spare the life from his opponent's and tries to make them change their mind, Ikki has no such qualms and doesn't question himself. If he faces an enemy, he WILL end them.
- Warrior Therapist: Especially in the Asgard Saga.
- Would Hit a Girl
- Unflinching Walk: Usually before kicking some ass or after his Dynamic Entry.
- Unexplained Recovery / Death Is Cheap: Just like his namesake, he will not stay dead, and routinely claws his way out of hell. However, this didn't do him much good when Virgo Shaka sent him to heaven.
Yuuichi Meguro (1986-1989 JP), Hideo Ishikawa (2005 JP), Vic Mignogna (EN), Marc François and Serge Bourrier (FR), José Núñez and Luis Manuel Martín Díaz (Spain), Javier Rivero and Daniel Abundis (Latin America), Marcelo Campos (BR)
- Bodyguard Crush: On Saori, and way more explicit than Seiya too.
- Butt Monkey
- Calling Your Attacks: Unicorn Gallop!
- Can't Catch Up: Starts off as Seiya's rival but by the Twelve Houses Battles, Seiya has upgraded his Cloth twice, wore the Cloth of Sagittarius and reaches his seventh sense while Jabu only earned one move.
- Commuting on a Bus: Seemed like he was going to be rival to Seiya, but after the tournament, he only appears when he's needed.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Saori, especially during their childhood, when she was a Jerkass but he didn't care.
- The Hero of his Five-Man Band
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He not only protected Saori when she was unconscious, but was the Barrier Maiden for Seika when she was being attacked by Thanatos.
- Palette Swap: Without his bronze clothes he's basically a blond Seiya.
- The Rival: In the start, to Seiya.
- Visual Innuendo: The horn on his head, he's purple with metal Underwear of Power.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Sorta, to Saori.
Voiced By: Masato Hirano and Masaya Onosaka (JP), John Swasey (EN), Cesar Arias and Saul Alvar (Latin American Spanish), António Semedo (PT) and Carlos Silveira (BR)
Voiced By: Hideyuki Tanaka and Issei Kojima (JP), Fabián Mejía, Fernando Manzano, and Roberto Mendiola (Latin America), Júlio Martín (PT)
Voiced By: Hirohiko Kakegawa (JP), Naoki Imamura (JP, Hades)
Voiced By: Yuuji Mikimoto (JP), Kohei Fukuhara (JP, Hades)