open/close all folders
Voiced By: Hiromi Tsuru (JP), Maru Guerrero (Latin American Spanish)
- Affably Evil: Very polite and soft-spoken, until she fights.
- But Now I Must Go: Anime-only, when she changed back to her mermaid form and leaves.
- Cry Cute: "Milord Poseidon... now you're back to being Young Julian Solo..."
- Dark Chick: While she does have the fighting abilities, she's more of a messenger than a frontline fighter.
- Designated Girl Fight: Though she does give Shaina quite a run for her money.
- Happily Ever After: In the end of the Poseidon Arc in the manga, Thetis changed back into a fish. Jullian/Poseidon comes back and finds her dead fish body and holds it gently in his hands. In the anime, it was happier where Thetis changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- Lady of War: Elegant, fast, and damn hard to hit. Shaina had serious difficulties fighting her.
- Meaningful Name: Thetis is a goddess of the sea and leader of the Nereids (sea nymphs) in Greek Mythology. As well as the mother of Achilles.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: In the anime, at the end, she changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- Perky Female Minion: She is a mariner of low rank.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: After one of the Twelve Titans from Greek mythology. The mother of the rivers, springs, streams, fountains and clouds.
Voiced By: Show Hayami (JP), Javier Rivero (Latin American Spanish)
- Badass Cape: The only other Mariner besides Sea Dragon to have one. Its destruction at the hands of Seiya punctuated the later's Heroic Second Wind.
- Barrier Warrior: His effective invisible shield that it was nothing more than an air current created by his hands.
- Blow You Away: He attacked Seiya using his mighty God Breath, which was a gale of immense destructive force.
- Foil: Of Seiya. He's the marine horse (Hippocampus) to his aerial horse. (Pegasus)
- Making a Splash: Rising Billows, his strongest attack, was a powerful rising tidal wave capable of sending the enemy from the depths of the seas all the way to its surface.
- Smug Super: He is arrogant and very confident in his defense. This becomes the cause of his defeat.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Baian or Bian?
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Exploited. Seiya notes that his fighting style is very similar to Misty's. Remembering his battle with Misty, and benefiting from the experience he gained in it, Seiya was able to overcome Baian's Air Barrier in the same way he did with Misty's and disabled it with his "Pegasus Ryuu Sei Ken".
- Villainous Breakdown: When Seiya quickly takes advantage of him and tells him that he's just a Smug Super without real merits.
- This Cannot Be!: When Pegasus destroy the his Sea Horse Scales, whose hardness and endurance was said to be equal to that of a Gold Cloth.
Voiced By: Issei Futamata (JP), Gerardo Reyero (Latin American Spanish)
- The Beastmaster: His main power is to summon the abilities of six creatures (a wolf, a bear, a bat, a giant bee, an eagle and a snake).
- Blow You Away: His secret attack Big Tornado.
- Defiant to the End : Prefers to go down fighting towards Shun despite being bound in chains, trying to block Shun's direct attack (via Libra Cloth's weapons) on the pillar he protected. Shun is very impressed at his Undying Loyalty to Poseidon and expresses sadness at his passing.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: From Io the sea nymph in Greek Mythology.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Tries to keep Shun from destroying his pillar by shielding his body. Unfortunately, he never had a chance due to him being bounded up and the pillar itself being too big to protect all of it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair.
Voiced By: Masaharu Sato (JP), Rafael Rivera (Latin American Spanish)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In Kurumada's manga, Krishna's hair is blonde. In the anime adaptation, it was modified to white to generate a better color balance and contrast.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blade on a Stick: Chrysaor's weapon, a Golden Lance capable of trespassing every known defense. Chrysaor's spear soon proves its piercing power by easily breaking through Shiryu's Cloth and its fabled Dragon Shield.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: In the manga. In the anime is white-haired.
- Meditation Powerup: After his invincible Golden Spear is destroyed, Chrysaor Krishna assumes a meditating position to draw energy from the Kundalini. The point is driven even further when his Chakras manifest and Shiryu must destroy them with Excalibur in order to defeat Krishna.
- Noble Demon: When Shiryu fail to using Excalibur the first time, Chrysaor mocks Shiryu's arrogance and decides to let him live, turning his back on the wounded Saint.
- Token Minority: The only dark-skinned Mariner of the group. Before you ask, he's from Sri Lanka.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He approves Poseidon's plan about destroy humanity corrupted by flooding and then re-create a new civilization.
Voiced By: Keaton Yamada (JP), Carlos del Campo (Latin American Spanish)
- Calling Your Attacks: His attack Salamander Shock. But it is rather weak.
- Critical Research Failure: In-universe case. Had he bothered to scan Ikki's mind throughly, he could've found about Esmeralda earlier, therefor using her form to kill him. He could have won the war for Poseidon's side right there!
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Invoked and weaponized! Yeah, he's a bastard.
- Dirty Coward: Instead of fighting, he prefer tricking his opponents with the power to look into the hearts and torture them with their most precious memories or loved ones.
- Dying Dream: In his last moments, he imagined himself killing Ikki by taking Esmeralda's form.
- Gonk: We never get a proper look at his face, but he SEEMS to be one.
- Lean and Mean: He is the most vicious Marina General as he manipulates his enemies feelings and strikes them at their most vulnerable moment.
- Last of His Kind: He's proud of it too. Ikki uses his Mind Rape against him by pretending that There Is Another.
- Master of Disguise: He can mimic the appearance, but is not able to copy or imitate attacks of other warriors.
- Required Secondary Powers:
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech & And This Is For...: He find himself in the receiving end of an incredibly satisfactory combination of this at the hands of Ikki.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: His whole shtick.
Voiced By: Ryusei Nakao (JP), S Dalvador Delgado (Latin American Spanish)
- An Ice Person: Most of Isaac's attacks are ice based; like Hyoga, he can also project his cosmo to freeze objects, as shown by his first appearance when he instantly turned the wind into snow.
- Berserk Button: People using great power for selfish and/or petty reasons. He was utterly enraged when he found out that Hyoga's primary motivation to become a Saint was to acquire the power he needed in order see her dead mother, whose ship-wreck laid at the Siberian Sea's bottom.
- Cain and Abel: With Hyoga, in the childhood friends sense.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Hyoga's.
- Eye Scream / Good Scars, Evil Scars: The result of saving Hyoga's life.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hyoga.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: To be such an important person in Hyoga's life, it's quite notable that he didn't mentioned him before.
- Fallen Hero
- Knight Templar: He admires the Kraken because it would sink ships with sinful people on them. Hyoga questions this, as it would entail killing innocent people which just happened to be on board as well. Isaac still calls it the best way of making justice.
- Kick the Dog: Or better said, the puppy, as he kicks poor little Kiki when he brings Hyoga the Libra Cloth. That pisses Hyoga off enough to return to the fight.
- Kraken and Leviathan: However this particular Kraken has no Combat Tentacles and looks like a giant Ray fish.
- The Unfettered: What he always aspired to be, even before becoming a Poseidon's general.
- Would Hurt a Child: Poor Kiki, as already said.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has green hair.
Voiced by: Yoku Shioya (JP), Jorge Roig Jr. (Latin American Spanish)
- Bishōnen: Very pretty, even by this show's standards.
- Enemy Mine: When the final Marine General, Sea Dragon Kanon, revealed the plan he started 13 years ago to manipulate Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over, Sorrento realized that all of the Generals were only Unwitting Pawn used by Kanon to achieve his goal of world domination. Seeing that it was wrong to awaken Poseidon in this era, he helped Phoenix Ikki destroy the Pillar of the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings
- Wings Do Nothing: They are just decorative
- Musical Assassin: The enchanted music from Sorrento's flute is a power weapon:
- Dead End Symphony: Sorrento's signature technique. He plays a song on his flute, which weakens his opponent to the point that they are unable to fight back. The music directly resonates within the opponent's brain, meaning that even if the opponent can not physically hear the song, he would still be affected.
- Dead End Climax: once Sorrento reaches the climax of his song, the music he plays will kill his opponent by destroying their mind.
- Number Two: The second in command.
- Not Quite Dead: Twice, if you count his supposed death in the Asgard Saga by .
- Technicolor Eyes: Light red
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Kanon, after finding out his plans. To the point of trying to attack him.
- Undying Loyalty: After the Poseidon Saga he remains by Julian's side, helping him aid the victims of Poseidon's flood.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
Sea Dragon Kanon
Sea Dragon Kanon
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Sogabe (JP, original series), Ryotaro Okiayu (JP, OAVs and video games) Mario Castañeda (Latin American Spanish)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He's blonde in the manga. In the anime adaptation Kanon's hair color was modified toblue - of a darker shade than Saga.
- Badass Cape: The only other Mariner who has one is Bian.
- Cain and Abel: Zigzatted with his twin Saga. In the beginning, Kanon was evil and Saga was good, but Saga went insane for having a Superpowered Evil Side (coms with being the *Gemini* Saint, of all Gold Saints) and turned evil. Kanon *knew* his brother would become evil and used it to his advantage, staging an epic Gambit Roulette that covers several arcs of the story (two in the manga, three in the anime), where Saga was the first Big Bad and Kanon was the Man Behind the Man from both him and his boss. However, later Kanon pulls a Heel–Face Turn and joins the good guys, while Saga turns evil... apparently.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Gold Triangle: It opens a dimensional rift that sends his enemies inside the Bermuda Triangle
- Galaxian Explosion: As his brother, Kanon launches an attack of intense power that assimilates a miriad of planets and galaxies destroying everything on their path.
- Genroken: A weaker version from the Genromaoken that simply paralyzes the enemy rather than control them.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: His Sea Dragon Scale , rather than based on typical depiction of sea dragons/serpent in mythology, seems to be based off Plesiosauria , an order of sea dinosaur.
- Dragon with an Agenda: No pun intended. He tries to use Poseidon to rule the world.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: In Hades Saga: Chapter Inferno.
- Evil Twin: To Saga.
- Foil: Towards Ikki.
- Heel–Face Turn: He becomes the Gemini Saint after Saga in the Hades arc.
- Genius Bruiser: He is responsible for most of the conflicts within the classic series. He manipulated Poseidon into doing his bidding, awakened the evil in Saga's heart and drove him into insanity, and ALMOST SUCCEEDED in gaining world domination until he made the fatal error of underestimating the main Bronzies.
- Good Is Not Nice: Even after joining forces with Athena, Kanon retains his ruthless personality and harsh characteristics, scolding Pegasus Seiya and Andromeda Shun that they should never hesitate to finish their enemies, because their hesitation was a weakness that their enemies would take advantage of.
- Greater Scope Villain: Technically speaking, he is this for Sanctuary arc. May Saga's Super-Powered Evil Side was the Big Bad of the Sanctuary arc, this guy was the one who pushed Saga over his mental limit and awaken that evil side.
- Must Make Amends: In the Hades Saga. After being banished, he returned to try and help defend Sanctuary for his Brother and Athena.
- One-Man Army: After his Heel–Face Turn and becoming the Gemini Saint, in the Hades Arc he singlehandedly kills more Specters than half the Gold Saints combined. Only Shaka and Dohko can compare in kill counts. He even has the honor of being the only Gold Saint to kill a Judge in the classic series.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Saga's blue.
- Reformed, but Rejected: In the Hades saga, Milo do not trust him and perform a Secret Test of Character for check if he was willing to die for Athena. He passes the test, logically.
- Reformed, but Not Tamed: Even while fighting on Athena's side, he's still a brutal and unyielding warrior who doesn't hesitate when it comes to inflicting swift and vicious retribution upon his enemies.
- Space Master: The Golden Triangle is a move that bends space and time to open an alternate dimension, where the opponent is sent, similar to "Another Dimension". Once inside, one is trapped unless the user lets them out, or they are distracted, and forced to stop the technique. It seems to be unique to the Sea Dragon; he can use the technique to send his foe into the Bermuda Triangle since he is the Guardian of the North Atlantic Ocean Pillar.
- The Man Behind the Man: He manipulate Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over.
- Taking You with Me: Utilizing a kamikaze attack, Kanon grabbed Rhadamanthys from the back and launched both bodies into the air. The Judge of Hell was defeated when Kanon unleashed his Galaxian Explosion, with all his might, killing himself along with the Wyvern Specter.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair in the anime.