Characters: Saint Seiya Mariners
Voiced By: Hiromi Tsuru (JP)
- Affably Evil: Very polite and soft-spoken, until she fights.
- But Now I Must Go: Anime-only, when she changed back to her mermaid form and leaves.
- Cry Cute: "Milord Poseidon... now you're back to being Young Julian Solo..."
- Dark Chick: While she does have the fighting abilities, she's more of a messenger than a frontline fighter.
- Happily Ever After: In the end of the Poseidon Arc in the manga, Thetis changed back into a fish. Jullian/Poseidon comes back and finds her dead fish body and holds it gently in his hands. In the anime, it was happier where Thetis changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- Designated Girl Fight: Though she does give Shaina quite a run for her money.
- Lady of War
- Meaningful Name: Thetis is a goddess of the sea and leader of the Nereids (sea nymphs) in Greek Mythology. As well as the mother of Achilles.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: In the anime, at the end, she changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- Perky Female Minion: She is a mariner of low rank.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: After one of the Twelve Titans from Greek mythology. The mother of the rivers, springs, streams, fountains and clouds.
Sea Horse Baian
Voiced By: Show Hayami (JP)
- Barrier Warrior: His effective invisible shield that it was nothing more than an air current created by his hands.
- Blow You Away: He attacked Seiya using his mighty God Breath, which was a gale of immense destructive force, and his 'Rising Billows, his strongest attack, that as its name says, was a powerful rising tidal wave capable of sending the enemy from the depths of the seas to its surface.
- Smug Super: He is arrogant and very confident in his defense. This becomes the cause of his defeat.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Baian or Bian?
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Invoked. Seiya notes that his fighting style is very similar to Misty. Remembering his battle with Misty, and benefitting from the experience he gained in it, Seiya was able to overcome Baian's Air Barrier in the same way he did with Misty's and disabled it with his "Pegasus Ryuu Sei Ken".
- Villainous Breakdown: When Seiya quickly takes advantage of him and tells him that he's just a Smug Super without real merits.
- This Cannot Be!: When Pegasus destroy the his Sea Horse Scales, whose hardness and endurance was said to be equal to that of a Gold Cloth.
Voiced By: Issei Futamata (JP), Gerardo Reyero (Latin America)
- Defiant to the End : Prefers to go down fighting towards Shun despite being bound in chains, trying to block Shun's direct attack (via Libra Cloth's weapons) on the pillar he protected. Shun is very impressed at his Undying Loyalty to Poseidon and expresses sadness at his passing.
- The Beastmaster: His power is to summon the abilities of six creatures (a wolf, a bear, a bat, a giant bee, an eagle and a snake).
- Blow You Away: His secret attack Big Tornado.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: From Io the sea nymph in Greek Mythology.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Tries to keep Shun from destroying his pillar by shielding his body. Unfortunately, he never had a chance due to him being bounded up and the pillar itself being too big to protect all of it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In Kurumada's manga, Krishna's hair is blonde. In the anime adaptation, it was modified to white to generate a better color balance and contrast.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blade on a Stick: Chrysaor's weapon, a Golden Lance capable of trespassing every known defense. Chrysaor's spear soon proves its piercing power by easily breaking through Shiryu's Cloth and its fabled Dragon Shield.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: In the manga. In the anime is white-haired.
- Meditation Powerup: After his invincible Golden Spear is destroyed, Chrysaor Krishna assumes a meditating position to draw energy from the Kundalini. The point is driven even further when his Chakras manifest and Shiryu must destroy them with Excalibur in order to defeat Krishna.
- Noble Demon: When Shiryu fail to using Excalibur the first time, Chrysaor mocks Shiryu's arrogance and decides to let him live, turning his back on the wounded Saint.
- Token Minority: The only dark-skinned Mariner of the group. Before you ask, he's from Sri Lanka.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
Voiced By: Keaton Yamada (JP)
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Salamander Shock: His attack, but is rather weak.
- Critical Research Failure: In-universe case. Had he bothered to scan Ikki's mind throughly, he could've found about Esmeralda earlier, therefor using her form to kill him. He could have won the war for Poseidon's side right there!
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Invoked and weaponized! Yeah, he's a bastard.
- Dirty Coward: Instead of fighting, he prefer tricking his opponents with the power to look into the hearts and torture them with their most precious memories or loved ones.
- Dying Dream: In his last moments, he imagined himself killing Ikki by taking Esmeralda's form.
- Gonk: We never get a proper look at his face, but he SEEMS to be one.
- Lean and Mean: He is the most vicious Marina General as he manipulates his enemies feelings and strikes them at their most vulnerable moment.
- Last of His Kind: He's proud of it too. Ikki uses his Mind Rape against him by pretending that There Is Another.
- Master of Disguise: He can mimic the appearance, but is not able to copy or imitate attacks of other warriors.
- Required Secondary Powers:
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech & And This Is for...: He find himself in the receiving end of an incredibly satisfactory combination of this at the hands of Ikki.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: His whole shtick.
Voiced By: Ryūsei Nakao (JP)
- An Ice Person: Most of Isaac's attacks are ice based; like Hyoga, he can also project his cosmo to freeze objects, as shown by his first appearance when he instantly turned the wind into snow.
- Cain and Abel: With Hyoga, in the childhood friends sense.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Hyoga's.
- Eye Scream / Good Scars, Evil Scars: The result of saving Hyoga's life.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hyoga.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: To be such an important person in Hyoga's life, it's quite notable that he didn't mentioned him before.
- Fallen Hero
- Knight Templar: He admires the Kraken because it would sink ships with sinful people on them. Hyoga questions this, as it would entail killing innocent people which just happened to be on board as well. Isaac still calls it the best way of making justice.
- Kick the Dog: Or better said, the puppy, as he kicks poor little Kiki when he brings Hyoga the Libra Cloth. That pisses Hyoga off enough to return to the fight.
- Kraken and Leviathan: However this particular Kraken has no Combat Tentacles and looks like a giant Ray fish.
- The Unfettered: What he always aspired to be, even before becoming a Poseidon's general.
- Would Hurt a Child: Poor Kiki, as already said.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has green hair.
Voiced by: Yoku Shioya (JP)
- Bishōnen: Very pretty, even by this show's standards.
- Enemy Mine: When the final Marine General, Sea Dragon Kanon, revealed the plan he started 13 years ago to manipulate Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over, Sorrento realized that all of the Generals were only Unwitting Pawn used by Kanon to achieve his goal of world domination. Seeing that it was wrong to awaken Poseidon in this era, he helped Phoenix Ikki destroy the Pillar of the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings
- Wings Do Nothing: They are just decorative
- Musical Assassin: The enchanted music from Sorrento's flute is a power weapon:
- Dead End Symphony: Sorrento's signature technique. He plays a song on his flute, which weakens his opponent to the point that they are unable to fight back. The music directly resonates within the opponent's brain, meaning that even if the opponent can not physically hear the song, he would still be affected.
- Dead End Climax: once Sorrento reaches the climax of his song, the music he plays will kill his opponent by destroying their mind.
- Number Two: After the Poseidon Saga he remains by Julian's side, helping him aid the victims of Poseidon's flood.
- Not Quite Dead: Twice, if you count his supposed death in the Asgard Saga by .
- Technicolor Eyes: Light red
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Kanon, after finding out his plans. To the point of trying to attack him.
- Undying Loyalty: To Julian/Poseidon. See Numer Two
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
Sea Dragon Kanon
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Sogabe (JP, original series), Ryōtarō Okiayu (JP, OAVs and video games)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He's blonde in the manga.
- BADASS: He is nearly as powerful as Saga. After his Heel-Face Turn and becoming the Gemini Saint, in the Hades Arc he singlehandedly kills more Specters than half the Gold Saints combined. Only Shaka and Dohko can compare in kill counts. He even has the honor of being the only Gold Saint to kill a Judge in the classic series.
- Cain and Abel: Zigzatted with his twin Saga. In the beginning, Kanon was evil and Saga was good, but Saga went insane for having a Superpowered Evil Side (coms with being the *Gemini* Saint, of all Gold Saints) and turned evil. Kanon *knew* his brother would become evil and used it to his advantage, staging an epic Gambit Roulette that covers several arcs of the story (two in the manga, three in the anime), where Saga was the first Big Bad and Kanon was the Man Behind the Man from both him and his boss. However, later Kanon pulls a Heel-Face Turn and joins the good guys, while Saga turns evil... apparently.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Gold Triangle: It opens a dimensional rift that sends his enemies inside the Bermuda Triangle
- Galaxian Explosion: As his brother, Kanon launches an attack of intense power that assimilates a miriad of planets and galaxies destroying everything on their path.
- Genroken: A weaker version from the Genromaoken that simply paralyzes the enemy rather than control them.
- Dragon with an Agenda: No pun intended. He tries to use Poseidon to rule the world.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: In Hades Saga: Chapter Inferno.
- Foil: Towards Ikki.
- Heel-Face Turn: He becomes the Gemini Saint after Saga.
- Genius Bruiser: He is responsible for most of the conflicts within the classic series. He manipulated Poseidon into doing his bidding, awakened the evil in Saga's heart and drove him into insanity, and ALMOST SUCCEEDED in gaining world domination until he made the fatal error of underestimating the main Bronzies.
- Evil Twin: To Saga.
- Must Make Amends: In the Hades Saga. After being banished, he returned to try and help defend Sanctuary for his Brother and Athena.
- Space Master: The Golden Triangle is a move that bends space and time to open an alternate dimension, where the opponent is sent, similar to "Another Dimension". Once inside, one is trapped unless the user lets them out, or they are distracted, and forced to stop the technique. It seems to be unique to the Sea Dragon; he can use the technique to send his foe into the Bermuda Triangle since he is the Guardian of the North Atlantic Ocean Pillar.
- The Man Behind the Man: He manipulate Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over.
- Taking You with Me: To Radamanthys.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.