Characters: Nagasarete Airantou
Read the manga first so as not to be spoiled by some characters here. Need some help as well.
open/close all folders
- Abusive Granddad: Has one.
- Accidental Kiss: to Ayane.
- Accidental Pervert: And HOW.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: He has gradually become accustomed to talking with the anthropomorphic animals on the island, yet still refuses to believe in anything of paranormal or mythological origin even if it is right in front of him.
- He doesn't have any problems believing in aliens and Robot Girls either.
- He winds up on the other end of the spectrum, when he tries to convince the islanders on the existence of the aforementioned aliens.
- He did have trouble believing in the anthropomorphic aspect of Airantou's animals, but that quickly died away when Shima-tora made a...convincing argument.
- A recent chapter had him get sick and get a fever which made him start to believe in magic. Then when he was still recovering he started to mix science fact with magic, and then he freaked out when he realized what he was saying.
- Justified since his family placed him under a spell that made him skeptical of anything paranormal to ensure that he wouldn't figure out that his sister had supernatural powers. As of chapter 126, this spell's effects are gone and with it his skepticism.
- Attack Its Weak Point: How he defeated the Northern Leader.
- Badass: He can punch ghosts with his bare fists.
- Bag of Holding:
Ikuto: Well... I'd say there is a knack to it... Don't ask about it.
- Balloon Belly: When Suzu gave him CPR.
- Berserk Button: Saying "It's impossible." to his face.
- Big Brother Mentor: to Shinobu.
- Big Damn Heroes: On one memorable occasion, he saved Ayane and Michiru from an enraged Taiga, the Northern leader, by throwing his sword to hit Taiga's weak point.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: For having an Unwanted Harem.
- Butt Monkey: At times.
- Celibate Hero
- Chick Magnet: Being the only human male in the island helps.
- Contrived Coincidence/Identical Stranger: He resembles Takatora, Suzu's father.
- Imagine Spot: Has a few.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Suzu.
- Groin Attack: He gets because he doesn't believe Tohno is a kappa.
- Lap Pillow: He is the pillow for Machi while she is sick and vice versa.
- And for Suzu because she asked him which causes a three way brawl for his lap...
- Made of Iron: In the beginning he would actually have to rest a day after being beaten to a pulp.
- Now he can fight all 4 guardians, fall in a river, get eaten by a fish, and still be perfectly fine the next day. He has come a VERY long way.
- He may have always been this. He drifted at sea for 7 days without any food or water with no visible discomfort. He may have just been recovering from that still in the get go which explains how weak he was in the beginning.
- Mentor Ship: See Big Brother Mentor above.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: to his family.
- Oblivious to Love: This is the most memorable example among many others.
- Don't forget that this guy's the celibate kind of hero.
- Panty Shot: A lone guy on an Island full of girls who wear skirts, he's bound to get a view.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: He says this to Suzu mostly because he lives with her, but he says it to just about every girl in his Unwanted Harem at one point or another.
- Red Herring: in the second Beniyasha Story Arc.
- The Runaway: Type 2 beacause of his dad.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: His swordsmanship is outstanding, but he sucks at ball games.
- Stone Wall: His fighting strategy.
- Thanks for the Mammary
- Took a Level in Badass: The reason he became a Type 2B harem hero.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry.
- Training from Hell: He had this in the past from his grandfather.
- Weak, but Skilled: He is one of the physically weakest people on the island, at least at first more arguable now, but that does not stop him from defeating his opponents.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better
- Why Did It Have To Be Heights?
Tropes associated with the main haremettes as a whole:
- Alien Lunch: The food she makes looks weird but tastes good.
- Aside Glance: She loves doing this.
- Berserk Button: Insulting her about her age once, shame on her; insulting her about her age consecutively, prepare for the worst.
- Big Eater
- Brilliant but Lazy: A highly-gifted miko, but...yeah.
- Christmas Cake: Values Dissonance has Airantou's inhabitants get married at around 14-16 years of age. Therefore, she's quite minded about it. Just don't say she's one.
- The Collector of the Strange: She collects brooms.
- Create Your Own Villain: She released Genjumaro.
- Does Not Like Spicy Foods
- Evil Laugh: Shows us how to do it right.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Harem Seeker: Inverted. If her dream is to be believed, she wants one for Ikuto. As long as she is his legal wife and others are just concubines, and she gets to have his baby first, its OK for him to have other girls.
- Identical Grandchild: Is this with her grandmother.
- Identical Stranger: According to both Ikuto and Misaki, she looks like their cousin who is also named Machi.
- It Amused Me: Her reason for doing everything she's doing.
- Lap Pillow: She is the pillow for Ikuto while he is sick and vice versa.
- Lethal Chef: Double subverted.
- In the Manga, she leaves behind a truly frightening mess of what used to be the kitchen that some unlucky soul has to clean up.
- In the Anime, she makes a LOT of food, and she won't let you leave until you eat it ALL of it.
- Older Than They Look: She is 18 years old.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She's the most powerful and most skilled fighter in Ikuto's Unwanted Harem.
- Shipper on Deck: for Ikuto/Ayane.
- She really does love both of them. Awww...Even if it's in a comically twisted way.
- Sibling Rivalry: with Ayane.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: with Ayane.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: One of her favorite hobbies.
Real name: Koto. She is the oldest human on the island.