Characters: Linebarrels of Iron
Here are the chracter features in the anime/manga series Linebarrels of Iron
. Beware of spoilers.
Contributions are most welcome.
open/close all folders
Koichi HayaseThe Hero
of the story, a bullied 14-year old kid who becomes Linebarrel's Factor.
- Accidental Pervert
- Badass: ESPECIALLY after Character Development.
- Break the Haughty: And boy, does he get broken. Hard.
- Butt Monkey
- Cannot Spit It Out: His feelings for Emi
- Clueless Chick Magnet: The guy has four beautiful girls all after him... and yet, he only appears to be romantically interested in Emi.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Emi, mostly. But despite not noticing the other girls' crushes, he's still quite protective towards all of them.
- First Episode Resurrection: In the anime.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: The main weapons of Linebarrel being two Katanas.
- Idiot Hero
- Jerkass: Before Character Development (though with touches of Jerkass Woobie)
- Jumped at the Call: Deconstructed. His behaviour in his first battles caused lots of property damage, as he lashes out towards anyone.
- My God, What Have I Done?
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: To Kato and, in the anime, to Masaki.
- Unskilled, but Strong: For the most part he just uses Linebarrel's extreme power to win. Although he can hardly be called a poor fighter, compared to Reiji's skillful swordsman ship he basically just wacks people with his swords as hard as he can and can't really use the Executor as anything other than a wide area single shot blast. He pretty much could not beat Reiji straight up, without using modes B and C to overpower him. In the manga he's shown to be a flat out terrible pilot if he can't use Linebarrel. In one fight he needs to use a Jinrai (an Mass produced Arma that can match a Machina in the right hands), and he does more damage to the enemy by jumping out and punching it with his Factor enhanced strength than the Jinrai's weapons.
- Unstoppable Rage: In response to Yajima's death. And, towards the end of the anime, in response to Emi's.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He receives quite a lot of these, especially at first.
A mysterious girl of about 14, who gives Koichi the power to use Linebarrel. Somehow, she is also one of its Factors.
25-year-old Commander of JUDA's Special Task Force and Vardant's Factor.
- The Ace: In the manga, Hayase even stated that Moritsugu is the role model the he want to become.
- Ace Pilot: And how!
- Blood Knight: As a kid he would used to get into fights under the pretext of "being an ally of justice". A recent battle in the manga hints that he still has that tendency.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: His first two fights with Koichi consist of nothing but him beating the crap out of the poor kid. However, he gets on the receiving side of this trope in the anime when Emi gets in Linebarrel's cockpit.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He grew up being raised by his sister and upon finding out he can't feel pain, starts getting into fights, and that eventually ends up getting him in trouble with the law
- Fake Defector
- Feel No Pain
- Genius Bruiser: He's well educated about things, and quite a mastermind in the manga
- I Am Not Left-Handed: One of Verdant's eyes appears damaged and when Koichi attempts to attack him from his "blind side", Reiji has the eye heal at that moment
- Mundane Made Awesome: In the manga, he makes having a bunch of bags along his arms look quite dramatic. Koichi attempts to do the same and fails.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Stoic
- Stoic Spectacles
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
(Japanese) and Barry Yandell (English)
old man and CEO of the JUDA company, as well as the Factor of Juda in the manga
Ishigami's 26-year-old secretery.
A 16-year-old member of the JUDA STF and Factor of Hind-Kind
A 16-year-old girl who is the Factor of Painkiller. In the anime, she is already a member of JUDA, whilst in the manga, she is an idol singer, who decided to join in the mid parts of the storyline after Koichi saves her
- Action Girl
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Broken Bird: She was already being bullied to the point of committing suicide, but after the timeskip she gets fired from her job as an idol singer because the factors joined with Katou, her fans turn on her, and her wanting to kill them ended up turning Deceive into a humanioid, leading to Izuna's death.
- Canon Immigrant: Originally a character created for the anime, who eventually made it into the original manga, albeit with a completely different story and personality.
- Subverted: She was originally made for the manga, but the anime decided to introduce her much much earlier, using only the bare-bone early manga design notes as a base.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Her huge pink ribbon.
- Gag Boobs
- Heroic BSOD: In the anime, after Masaki gives her a nasty "The Reason You Suck" Speech, telling her that she's too weak to be a Factor.
- Hopeless Suitor: Towards Koichi.
- Interrupted Suicide: In the manga, she was ready to jump off a building, until Koichi saw her and talked her out of it.
- Nice Girl: At least in the anime.
- Parental Abandonment
- Rescue Romance: About the one thing her anime self and manga self have in common is her falling in love with Koichi after he saved her (though in different ways).
- Senpai Kohai: After Koichi gets into high school, Miu turns out to his senpai. Ironically, sometime after they find this out, Miu becomes Painkiller's Factor, and she noted that this time, he's her senpai.
- Yandere: The manga version of her is... different. In fact, she's so fucked up in the head that Painkiller made her its factor believing she was dying. She finally snaps after Kouichi disappears when the Time Skip happens.
The Endou twins
A pair 14-year-old twins who are both Factors for Deceive.
Izuna's loud and energetic older twin sister and a member of JUDA. She controls Deceives movements.
Shizuna's more reserved younger twin brother, also with JUDA. He controls Deceive's Never Crack cables.
Voiced by: Chiwa Saito
(Japanese) and Tia Ballard (English)
JUDA's 12 year old Chief of Research and Development. She mainly handle's the Machina's maintainance.
Terror syndicate Katou Organization's mysterious leader. He pilots the Arma Tsukuyomi. Factor of the Shangri-La.
- Affably Evil: Always polite and respectful, even to a bitter enemy.
- Anti-Villain: Type III on the sliding scale.
- Anti-Hero: Has shades of being this in the anime in addition to being Type III Anti-Villain. Also seems to be be one after inheriting Ishigami's will.
- Big Bad
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A villainous example.
- The Chessmaster
- Cool Ship: The Shangri-La is pretty much a huge spaceship.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted in the anime, as Koichi does not forgive him for his crimes, but accepts to put his resentment aside and work with him for the greater good. Played straight in the manga, where Koichi does forgive him, and even offers to help him. Admittedly, his goals in the manga are different from the anime.
- Heel-Face Turn: In the manga, he decides to try things the way his old friend Ishigami did, and leads the rest of his organization with the members of JUDA.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the anime.
- Killed Off for Real: Again, in the anime.
- Emi, I Am Your Older Brother: Anime-only. In the manga, he was her father's live-in assistant, though it is mentioned that a young Emi did see him as a brother of sorts (as well as considered part of the family).
- Non-Action Guy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Self-Made Orphan: At Amagatsus' request, no less.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants to save the Earth from the other world's invasion by stirring people's imagination. The means he uses to do that, though, are quite debatable.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba
(Japanese) and Tony Patterson (English)
Factor of Glein-Neidr, and, by extention, Naked
, and Captain of Katou's 1st Squad.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the top ranking captain of the Kato Organization, and also the best pilot.
- Badass: Repeat; best pilot and a heavy firepower machina.
- Breaking Speech: He becomes fond of these as the ending of the anime comes close. They work on Miu but not on Koichi.
- The Dragon: To Katou in the manga. In the anime, he acts like he is, when in reality, he is this to Central.
- The Lancer: Since Katou has decided to become the Big Good in the manga, that would make Masaki this.
- Heel-Face Turn:In the manga, with the rest of the Katou Organization.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: The reason why he's so pissed off with Ishigami in the manga; he literally treated him like his own father, and is justifiably upset when he left them with no explanation immediately after mounting Juda.
- Nice Hat
- Peek-a-Bangs: Justified in the anime. He needs it to hide his cybernetic eye, which would reveal that he's a Machina Human. Not quite explained in the manga.
- Superpower Lottery: The beam spamming heavily armored Glein Nieder is much much better than all the other Machina. Even Linebarrel can't dent it without help.AND it has Naked inside it.
Captain of Katou's 2nd Squad. An old man who appears only the manga. He pilots the custom Arma, Tsuranagi.
17-year-old Factor of Talisman whose story (and indeed, personality itself) depends on the medium. In the anime, he captains Katou's 2nd Squad in place of the manga-exclusive Sanada, who loves inflicting pain on others. In the manga, he is the 72-year old leader of his village (having stopped aging at 17 due his being a Factor), who eventually decides to join JUDA's Special Task Force
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Shimura (Japanese) and Kent Williams
31-year-old captain of Katou's 3rd Squad. He pilots the custom Arma, Kagutsuchi.
22-year-old captain of Katou's 4th Squad. Pilots the custom Arma, Idaten. Eventually betreays Katou, and becomes the Factor of the Machina, Lostbarrel.
Captain of Katou's 5th Squad who, like Sanada, only appears in the manga. He pilots the custom Arma, Kagaseo.
32-year-old captain of Katou's 6th Squad. A samurai who needs to no Arma to fight: his body literally is
27-year-old captain of Katou's 7th squad. She pilots the custom Arma, Tsubakihime.
Psycho captain of Katou's 8th squad. He pilots the custom Arma, Yaoyorozu.
Risako NiiyamaChildhood Friend
to Koichi and Yajima, who's had a crush on the former for long time
Hideaki YajimaChildhood Friend
of Koichi and Risako, who's protected the former from bullies since they were kids. His death was a major turning point for Koichi. He eventually comes back to life as the Factor to the Machina Apparition, and eventually joins up with his best friend.
A student at Koichi's school who is good at fighting and loves to flirt with cute girls. After being amazed at Linebarrel, he decides to join Hayase's group of friends (dragging along Furuya, who used to bully Koichi), dubbing them the "Hayase Corps." Eventually pilots a custom Jin-Rai (a production model machine created by Kiriyama Heavy Industries intended to replace Arma, and possibly, JUDA's machina) and joins up the members of JUDA.
Director of Kiriyama Heavy Industries, who as known Reiji since they were kids. He is the Factor of Pretender.
Emi's father and Katou's master. The creator of Machina and nanomachines. Was the original Factor for Linebarrel, and created the current Linebarrel and Lostbarrel.
*spoilers for the anime adaptation*
*spoilers for the original manga*
Deus Ex Machina