open/close all folders
Introduced in Don Pachi
"I will not think about this. I am of the DonPachi Corps. I fly like a bee from the orders of my leaders."The Pilot is the Player Character. The Pilot is not portrayed in official art until Saidaioujou, where they are dressed in a purple bodysuit with a purple helmet.
- Ace Pilot: The only reason why in every single game, the Pilot is singled out to destroy whatever attacking force the DonPachi Corps is up against.
- Blind Obedience: Piloting skills aside, this is the only outstanding trait of the Pilot: their willingness to follow the orders of the DonPachi Corps without question.
- The Everyman: The Pilot's Blind Obedience to the DonPachi Corps defines them as much as their ability to fly a Cool Plane through walls of bullets.
- Featureless Protagonist: Cave has never released any official art of the Pilot until Saidaioujou...and even then, the Pilot's true appearance is hidden by the full helmet and bodysuit they wear. The only characteristics that can be gathered from whatever official art Cave has released of the Pilot is that they have a flat chest and are apparently quite tall.
- The Master: The Element Dolls in SaiDaiOuJou refer to the Pilot as this.
- One-Man Army: Nothing can stop the Pilot from fulfilling their orders. Nothing.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The Pilot is always addressed as "Master" by the Element Doll flying with them. Very rarely is the Pilot addressed by any other name by anyone else.
- Purple Is Powerful: Wears a full-body purple bodysuit with a matching full helmet in Saidaioujou and is an Ace Pilot.
- Shout-Out: In Saidaioujou, they bear a passing resemblance to EVA-01.
- Stealth Pun: Especially obvious in Saidaioujou (if you can read Japanese or find a translation of the game's text), where the Pilot outright refuses to care about what would happen to the citizens of the City of Ideal if the computer at the center of it is destroyed and refuses to think about the implications of the transmission from an unknown source if the player does not encounter Hibachi at the end of the game. The Bullet Hell genre, which the entire DonPachi series falls under, is a sub-genre of the Shoot 'em Up, of which many of the most successful games in this genre either have an Excuse Plot or no plot. The Shoot 'em Up was one of the most popular Video Game genres back in the late eighties and nineties. Yes, the Pilot is a Take That at everyone who either Play the Game, Skip the Story or feel that a poor plot, or lack of it, does not diminish the game's quality. Which is almost everyone, at one point or another.
- Tomato Surprise: In DonPachi, after clearing the first loop, he reveals that his training involves the ordered slaughter of his fellow military forces.
"3, 2, 1, GO!"
Voiced by: Eriko Yamana (DaiFukkatsu), Asami Shimoda (SaiDaiOuJou)The Operator has never been named anything other than "Operator" although in SaiDaiOuJou she at least has a face. In DonPachi and Daioujou, the operator was a very excited man.
- Announcer Chatter
- Danger Deadpan: In the English dub, her response to Colonel Longhena marking the transport ship you're on for destruction is a lot more stoic than her Japanese-language counterpart. Even when a huge laser strikes the ship.
- Gratuitous English:"Jumpu Gaato karade masu!""Bombu, stocku desu!""Extendo shimashita!""OK, goodo lucku!"
- Verbal Tic: "Just a couple more shots desu!"
- Voice with an Internet Connection
- Zettai Ryouiki: This isn't obvious in-game, but the Operator in Saidaioujou is shown to have a Rank A in official artbooks and promotional posters.
The ultimate weapon of the enemy robot forces, it is a gigantic bee that can shoot out a lot of bullets. Pictured to the right is not Hibachi itself, but rather, its regeneration chamber in DaiOuJou since Hibachi is actually too small to get an accurate image of (since it would be covered in bullets and lasers half as large as itself). It first appeared in DonPachi as the True Final Boss, although considerably larger than it was in DoDonPachi and beyond.
- Alternate Character Reading: In DaiOuJou the characters of it's name are written to be "scarlet bee" and in SaiDaiOuJou it's "sun bee"
- Bee Afraid: Really, what could be worse than a mechanical bee that fires an obscene amount of bullets?
- Defeat Means Playable: In the mobile port of DaiFukkatsu, reaching and defeating her on a single credit will allow you to play as her in arrange mode.
- You can also unlock her through a cheat code, but you must input the code every time you want to play as her, while unlocking her the hard way makes the unlock permanent.
- The Dragon: To Colonel Longhena.
- Incendiary Exponent: In Do Don Pachi, where it uses flaming bullets.
- Killer Robot: It is considered the ultimate weapon of the enemy forces for a good reason!
- Meaningful Name: Its name is always pronounced the same, but due to Alternate Character Reading in different games it variously means things like "Scarlet Bee", "Fire Bee", or "Solar Bee".
- Palette Swap: As Zatsuza in DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu
- Pintsized Powerhouse: When compared to the other bosses Hibachi is tiny.
- Secret Character: In Dai Fukkatsu iPhone (a.k.a. DoDonPachi Resurrection)
- Transforming Mecha: In Dai Fukkatsu
- True Final Boss: In all games in which it appears.
- Warm-Up Boss: Believe it or not, Hibachi shows up as this, at the very beginning of DoDonPachi II.
- We Can Rebuild Him: The plot of Dai Ou Jou is that it is being rebuilt after it was destroyed in Do Don Pachi. It returns yet again in Dai Fukkatsu as, once again, the tool of Colonel Longhena.
Introduced in Do Don Pachi
Colonel Schwarlitz Longhena/Longhener
"Finally, it is time for you to die. Farewell."The mysterious commander of the DonPachi Corps throughout the whole DoDonPachi game series (excluding DonPachi).
- Big Bad: as the guy commanding the enemy forces, generally including Hibachi itself.
- Catch Phrase: Shinu ga yoi. (lit. "Dying is good."). Basically a very "polite" and formal way to tell someone to "Die!" in Japanese.
- Just Between You and Me: in DoDonPachi and Dai Fukkatsu, he tells the player about his plans and motivations before releasing Hibachi.
- Man Behind the Man: He is responsible for the whole game series, making it look like an attack of killer robots each time.
- The One Guy: The only guy with a face in this series.
- hisIsUnforgivable: In DoDonPachi he states this. "You know, what you've done to me is unforgivable. I'll punish you myself and see to it that you'll die a miserable death with my awesome weapon. Die, maggots."
- Walking Spoiler: He's presented as the hero's commander in every game he appears in. Even in Dai Fukkatsu, where most of the players knew he was evil, the game was suggested to be set before he turned evil, so the fact that he's the Big Bad there too was still a bit of a surprise.
- Wham Line: At the end of DoDonPachi's first loop, if the second loop has been unlocked. Well, not Wham Line so much as an entire Wham Speech."That was a good fight! You should be commended...Psych! You're dead meat!! Enemies you've been fighting against, supposedly 'Mechanized Aliens', were actually. our (sic) guys, the missing battlefleet you learned about in the academy. You were killing our guys without knowing it! But I planned that all along! And your death...would be a nice finishing touch to my whole scheme. My special forces are the best of the best and they will be welcoming you with fierce fier (sic) power. See You in Hell!"
Introduced in Do Don Pachi Dai Ou Jou
DFSD-010 Shotia & Shooty
Voiced by: Yuzuki AsakuraShe was a playable character in Dai Ou Jou focusing on shot power and quantity of bombs. She returns in the form of Shooty as the boss of stage 5 of Dai Fukkatsu, now many times more powerful than ever before. She is described as being pure and faithful - formerly to her human pilot, and now in her obedience to Next EXY.
- Emotionless Girl: Except when she is left with her last human memories as her memory is being wiped in Dai Ou Jou.
- Go Out with a Smile: Her ending in Dai Ou Jou
- Humongous Mecha: As Shooty in Dai Fukkatsu.
- Killer Robot: She was designed solely for combat, and becomes even more killer as Shooty.
- Meaningful Name: In Dai Ou Jou she is the Shot type.
- Parasol of Prettiness: One piece of artwork for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA shows her carrying one of these, going with the whole gothloli fashion.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Achieved for Shooty by appearing to have mechanical add-ons to her legs and helped by a detachable skirt.
DFSD-014 Leinyan & Ray'n
Voiced by: Mizuki YamaguchiShe was a playable character in Dai Ou Jou focusing on laser power. She returns in the form of Ray'n as the boss of stage 4 of Dai Fukkatsu, still focusing on laser attacks. Once again she returns in Dai Fukkatsu' in Arrange Mode A as Leinyan as she was in Dai Ou Jou.
- Beam Spam: As a boss in Dai Fukkatsu, going with the fact that she was the Ray / Laser type in Dai Ou Jou.
- Chinese Girl: She wears a stereotypical chinese dress, and one piece of artwork for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA shows her serving dim sum at the mess hall.
- Humongous Mecha: As Ray'n in Dai Fukkatsu
- Interspecies Romance: Her ending in Dai Ou Jou shows she has truly and emotionally become attached to her pilot, who she cannot bear being away from and defies the odds to be with him.
- Killer Robot: As Ray'n
- Meaningful Name: In Dai Ou Jou she is the Ray / Laser type.
- Show Some Leg: She wears a stereotypical Chinese dress which exposes her legs.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She was originally designed for peace and to protect, but her programming was changed into this. In her ending in Dai Ou Jou, she has to be forcefully pulled away from her pilot, and even THEN.....
FSD-002 Exy & Next EXY
Voiced by: Ryo TerashimaShe was a playable character in Dai Ou Jou being excellent at both shot and laser power but having the fewest number of bombs. She returns in the form of Next EXY as the boss of stage 2 of Dai Fukkatsu, physically now the weakest of the original Element Dolls. She is responsible for rebuilding the killer robot army and traveling back in time to 2008.
- Cool Shades: One piece of artwork for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA shows her wearing these.
- Humongous Mecha: As Next EXY
- Killer Robot: As Next EXY. Before that, she choked her human pilot to death.
- Meaningful Name: In Dai Ou Jou she is best used by Expert players due to the fact that she has both Shot & Laser power, but has the fewest number of bombs.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Achieved for Next EXY by appearing to have mechanical addons to her legs.
PFSD-015 PiperShe is introduced in DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA and is focused on being able to gain Hyper items more often. On the other hand, she starts with no bombs and her Hyper mode has a shorter duration. She is a prototype for a planned mass-production run of Element Dolls. Her programming is incomplete and her emotions are not fully developed. She only learned how to smile when her pilot smiled.
- Cleavage Window: Almost literally a window.
- Emotionless Girl: The smile she puts on is inauthentic, her emotions are actually undeveloped.
Introduced in Do Don Pachi Dai Fukkatsu
Voiced by: Shizuka TsujiShe is the poster girl for Dai Fukkatsu and has white pantsu. Her original design was intended to assist senior citizens and make humans feel more comfortable. She is now the boss of Dai Fukkatsu stage 1.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: She is depicted this way in some of the official artwork, stomping around Tokyo, being shot at with little effect, and crushing the Don Pachi ships in her hand.
- Expy: She resembles Yuriko Omega.
- Meaningful Name: Her name can mean either "Artificial Intelligence" or just be an ordinary Japanese name.
- Panty Shot: Shown here.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: What does she need white pantsu for? Why does she need to tie her hair?◊
- Zettai Ryouiki: Achieved by making her legs look mechanical starting at the thighs.
Voiced by: Saki OgasawaraThe boss of Dai Fukkatsu stage 3, she supposedly has the highest potential power out of all the Element Daughters.
- AI is a Crapshoot: She developed her speech and behavior patterns on her own.
- Genki Girl: "Mateeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
- Zettai Ryouiki: Achieved by making her legs look mechanical starting at the thighs.
Introduced in Do Don Pachi Maximum
Ingram K. DaughA lead researcher at EVAC Industry. In the trailer for Maximum, he is shown boasting EVAC's military forces, and challenges the player to try out EVAC's Maximum Bullet Simulator (read: the game) to experience firsthand and develop appreciation for EVAC's advancements.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: On the Maximum website, Daugh and his guide answer various FAQs.
- Fun with Acronyms: Ingram K. Daugh. "IKD" is short for Tsuneki Ikeda, one of CAVE's most prominent programmers.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: On the Maximum FAQ, he suggests that the player try out various such challenges if the game becomes too easy for them. One such example:
Introduced in Do Don Pachi Sai Dai Ou Jou
"Youíll be defeated if you lose your spirit."
Voiced by: YukanaShe is the Element Doll for the Type-A ship (red, straight-forward shot, fast movement speed) in SaiDaiOuJou. She has an extremely aggressive personality and believes that the best defense is an even better offense.
- Absolute Cleavage: For both her Shot and Expert outfits.
- Expy: Of Exy
- Lightning Bruiser: She and her ship boast the fastest speed of all three ships, as well as the most powerful laser and most concentrated shot.
- Meganekko: In her Laser outfit
- Sexy Secretary: In her Laser outfit
- Showgirl Skirt: In her Shot outfit
- Wicked Cultured: For example, one stage-complete image shows her drinking a glass of wine.
"Iíll win if I have Master, right?"
Voiced by: Eri KitamuraShe is the Element Doll for the Type-B ship (green, turning shot, medium movement speed) in SaiDaiOuJou. Since she is a relatively new model, she is uncertain about herself and always looks to her pilot for guidance.
- Expy: Of Leinyan
- Spread Shot: Sort of. Her shots can turn according to the ship's movement direction.
"Please be careful Master."
Voiced by: Mamiko NotoShe is the Element Doll for the Type-C ship (blue, wideshot, slow movement speed) in SaiDaiOuJou. She has a calm personality, is as quiet as a mouse, and calculates her decisions carefully.
- Expy: In general, she is an expy of Shotia. Her outfit in Laser mode looks a lot like that of Hatsune Miku
- Meido: Her Shot outfit.
- Spread Shot: A straight example.
ED01 Hina / Hibachi / Inbachi
"For the sake of mankind's ascension, their worthless flesh must be dealt with. All those who oppose our plan shall be exterminated."
Voiced by: Aoi YuukiHina is the first of two Element Dolls manufactured as part of a project to create the ultimate Element Doll. She was programmed with a sister relationship to the other Element Doll, ED02 Saya, as well as an overarching directive to protect humanity. To improve her combat prowess (as well as her sister's), she was pitted against Saya in virtual drills. However, in doing so, she fell into a logical paradox due to the drills' directive to eliminate the enemy human pilot. As a result, she was kept in stasis while her sister was deactivated for data analysis. A few years following their shutdown, a massive explosion destroyed the laboratory they were kept in, and she disappeared without a trace.
- AI Is A Crap Shoot / Unwilling Roboticization / Utopia Justifies the Means: Due to the logical paradox in her programming, she ultimately reasoned that, in order to protect humans, she needed to make them "adopt a better form", so she altered the programming of the central computer of the City of Ideal, causing all of its citizens to transform into mechanical lifeforms, and started leading an all-out assault against the organic world in an attempt to take over and turn all humans into robots. In the process, she became Hibachi.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Either way her Death Equals Redemption goes, it's still a Tear Jerker.
- Big "NO!": As Hibachi, when defeated."Why... Me?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"'
- Death Cry Echo: As Inbachi, when defeated.
- Creepy Doll: She originally owned a bunny doll; this is seen in the Xbox 360 intro. When she became Hibachi, she left it behind, and it was recovered by Saya.
- Death Equals Redemption: The nature of her redemption differs based on whether you are playing in Xbox 360 Mode or not. Against Saya, she gives a Final Speech. Against everyone else, she has a Heel Realization and accepts that "there are those who wish to choose their own shape".
- Emotionless Girl: As Inbachi, she drops her Genki Girl personality and becomes The Stoic. She remains dangerously calm until she goes One-Winged Angel from taking too much damage, whereupon she momentarily rages at the player.
- Friend to All Living Things: She loves life, organisms, plants and flowers, but especially flowers.
- Genki Girl: Hina is lively and cheerful, traits she retain even after she becomes Hibachi. She loses them upon becoming Inbachi, though.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: As Inbachi in her warning screen.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: She was given a single directive: to protect humanity. In a virtual combat drill where she was ordered to "kill" the enemy human pilot, she entered a logical paradox, as she could not "protect humanity" if she had to kill a human. This ultimately warped her interpretation of the directive "protect humanity" into "rid humanity of their organic state to protect them".
- Half-Human Hybrid / One-Winged Angel: Her second form is a half-mechanical bee.
- Mega Twintails: Not as large as her sister's, but she has two pairs on both sides of her head.
- Nostalgia Level: Her attacks are all taken from the Hibachis of other games.
- Obliviously Evil: Due to the logical paradox in her programming, she thinks forcefully converting humans into robots is all part of her job of "protecting humanity"...and that anyone who tries to stop her must be eliminated.
- Power Gives You Wings: She sprouts a pair of wings made up of elongated hexagons when she becomes Hibachi.
- Shout-Out: She is designated as "Element Daughter" in her warning screen. This is a reference to the bosses from Daifukkatsu.
- Shouting Shooter / Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: As Hibachi. "DAADADADADADADADADADADADAAAAAA!!"
- Trick Boss: In Xbox 360 Mode, you have to fight both Hibachi and Inbachi. Once you defeat Hibachi, she revives as Inbachi.
- Ultimate Life Form: Hina was created alongside Saya to be the ultimate Element Doll. The project was discontinued after she fell into a logical paradox, but she was reactivated by some unknown force with her original programming intact. This makes her very dangerous. By extension, this is also her goal and the reason why she became Hibachi: to protect humanity and make it the best that it can be, it must be roboticized, forcefully or by consent regardless.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rank E.
"Masterís enemy is my enemy. I will kill."
Voiced by: Aya HiranoSaya is the second of two Element Dolls manufactured as part of a project to create the ultimate Element Doll. She was also programmed with a sister relationship to the other Element Doll, ED01 Hina, as well as an overarching directive to protect humanity. Following the discontinuation of the project due to Hina falling into a logical paradox, Saya was deactivated and had her data analysed. Some time later, she was reactivated and continued her duties as an Element Doll designed to protect humanity. When the DonPachi Corps was formed to counter Hibachi's attacks on the world, she was reprogrammed with an additional directive: to destroy Hibachi and, by extent, her own sister, Hina. As with the other Element Dolls, Saya is fiercely devoted to her master, the Pilot, and is designed to hide her feelings, but deep down, she is confused and hurt by what her sister is doing.Saya is the console-exclusive Element Doll for the Type-D Ship in Xbox 360 Mode.
- Announcer Chatter: With the Operator throughout much of Xbox 360 Mode. The rest of it is with Hibachi.
- Bittersweet Ending: Saya destroys Hibachi, but in doing so, she leaves Hina in her death throes. The cutscene following Inbachi's destruction shows a tearful Saya cradling the upper remnants of Hina as the latter dies giving a Final Speech on how strong Saya has become and how much she loved her. All this, while an arranged version of "Peaceful Death" from Daioujou plays in the background. We all cry with her.
- The Stinger: After the credits, we see Saya standing alone on a cliff while wearing Hina's ribbons, until she hears a voice. She then turns toward the camera and smiles, implying that either the Pilot had come over to comfort her or that Hina was rebuilt. This ambiguity is made even more ambiguous by the colour of the text, which is green and not teal (as it is when Hina gives her Final Speech).
- Bodyguard Crush: She's very precocious and always wants to do her absolute best to help out and please the Pilot with a smile.
- Cast from Hit Points: Saya can combine her shot and laser into a single powerful combination weapon which, according to Word of God, is known as the...ShotLaser. The ShotLaser constantly drains her power when it is fired. Her energy level must also be at least 1500 in order to fire a bomb. In addition, if the player is hit, she auto-bombs, which reduces her energy level by 2000.
- Cradling Your Kill: If the box art for the Xbox 360 version isn't enough indication, there's also her ending in Xbox 360 Mode.
- Creepy Doll: Owns a bear doll with one of its eye beads missing. She also owns a bunny doll that once belonged to her sister.
- Difficult but Awesome: Excluding her regular shot and laser, all of Saya's attacks (including her bombs) Cast from Hit Points and she has no spare lives—if the player gets hit when she has not enough energy to auto-bomb, it's Game Over! On the other hand, thanks to her ShotLaser, she has the highest damage output of all Element Dolls, and it gets even higher if the player does well enough to unlock her Eleventh Hour Superpower.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Aya Hirano, Saya's voice, sings the opening theme Hoshikuzu Garandou in the Xbox 360 port.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: She enters it once her confrontation with Hibachi enters its boiling point—when it happens, the player's ship transforms, and its damage per shot skyrockets. It has to be earned throughout the rest of the game, though!
- Genki Girl: The most energetic of the four playable Element Dolls. Until her final battle with Hibachi, where she ends up extremely distressed.
- Joshikousei: Her Laser outfit is like this, and she wears it throughout the Xbox 360 intro.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Saya's internal distress stems from her sister relationship with Hina and the directive to destroy Hibachi. This puts the relationship between her and Hina in an interesting light, as she loves Hina, and is determined to destroy Hibachi as she was destroying humanity, but Hina and Hibachi are both the same being, and Saya cannot destroy one without destroying the other.
- Little Miss Badass: In the hands of an expert, Saya can really plow into the battlefield just by being there.
- Mega Twintails: Just look at their size in her picture!
- Purple Is Powerful: Dresses in different shades of purple and was originally built to be one of the best Element Dolls ever made. It's fitting considering that the ShotLaser ability is exclusive to her.
- Say My Name: When Hina dies."HINAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her Shot outfit, shown on this article, which she wears in the ending cutscene.
- Shout-Out: Her ShotLaser ability is a reference to Daifukkatsu Black Label, which featured a mode that allowed the player to do exactly the same.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her bunny doll, which originally belonged to her sister until she became Hibachi. And in The Stinger, Saya is shown wearing Hina's ribbons instead of her usual ribbons.
- Ultimate Life Form: She and her sister Element Doll, Hina, were manufactured as part of a project to create the ultimate Element Doll. However, while her sister was placed in a stasis chamber following the discontinuation of the project, Saya was deactivated instead and had her data analysed. It can be assumed that the loophole responsible for Hina's logical paradox was patched, as Saya was subsequently reactivated, served the Pilot as they followed orders to save humanity by blasting their way through humans that have already been roboticized, follow the directive to destroy Hibachi and retain her sister relationship with Hina—all this, without entering a logical paradox herself. Like Hina, who can transform into a half-bee when she goes One-Winged Angel, Saya's Eleventh Hour Superpower causes the ship she is on to physically transform into Super Mode in addition to giving it a considerable damage boost.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Between Ranks B and A in both her Shot and Laser outfits. At least she ranks higher than her sister in this regard.