open/close all folders
The White Pearl
Tropes describing all members of the White Pearl
- Action Girl: Everyone can handle a fight. Downplayed in Nitori's case, since she stays behind in Room 495, but she's still a competent fighter.
- Amazon Brigade
- By the Power of Grayskull!
- Child Soldiers: Everyone but Nitori, Yukari, Momiji, Nazrin, and Komachi.
- Improv Fu: Newly-transformed Sirens are advised to just say the first thing that comes to mind when they want to attack.
- Magic and Powers: All the magical girls have magic powers, but they also get access to once-latent hereditary abilities that vary from person to person.
- Magical Girl: The Sirens.
- The Masquerade: They would like to keep the world of magic and youkai out of the eyes of humans, out of fear that humans will use it to destroy everything.
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: A Nice Girl Ordinary Highschool Student turned Warrior Therapist, a Japanese Delinquent Teen Genius with Revenge Before Reason issues, a Card Sharp , Gambling Meido with time based powers, a Knight in Sour Armor laywer and ex-underground informant, a master swordswoman and Cross Dresser who is the Meido's sister, and rounding them all out is a Non-Human Sidekick with a Back from the Dead ghost hitching a ride in her mind
- Weapon of Choice
Individual members of the White Pearl, mostly in chronological order of introduction
"Thatís right," Koishi thought to herself. "As long as I can help people, Iíll keep going."Koishi is the protagonist of the story and de facto leader of the Sirens.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Koishi's power allows her to do this; it's a requirement to cure the Monster of the Week.
- Chaste Hero: Stated to be one in-story. With a Pot Hole to the trope page even.
- Cain and Abel: Played straight. Satori ended up captured by the Black Claw and her ideals are the antithesis of Koishi's, coming to head in a one-on-one duel in Arc 7.
- Cooldown Hug: Her usual M.O. with victims of the Mindcoil.
- Extreme Doormat --> Action Girl
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Koishi gets some glasses which block her ability to see the magic world. Later she upgrades to contacts which can be turned off at will.
- The Heart: When the other sirens need to talk both reason and compassion to someone, they turn to her.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: In Ocean Princess form.
- In the Name of the Moon: "In the name of the sea, prepare to be punished!"post Midseason Upgrade:ďForged in light, a candid friendOn whom the people can dependAnswering the Sirenís callThe Ocean Princess fights for all!Ē
- I See Dead People: With her Third Eye, she can see and speak to ghosts.
- Light Haired Swimmer: Along with Sango.
- Making a Splash: Post Mid-Season Upgrade
- Mystical White Hair: After her Near-Death Experience, which (along with closing her Third Eye) had the side effect of turning her hair silver.
- Midseason Upgrade: Following a Heroic B.S.O.D. and a stint of Brainwashed and Crazy, Koishi gains a few extra powers and a Super Mode of sorts. Tides of Doubt enables her to function as a Mezzer, it slows down enemies in the area by forcing Koishi's subconscious into their minds, slowing their reactions.
- Nice Girl
- Prongs of Poseidon: Her weapon's primary form.
- Re-Power: Before the events of the story, as a result of her Near-Death Experience.ďYouíre definitely part of the family [of the Eye], Koishi-san, but at the same time thereís never been one quite like you before. You may not have the same powers as, say, your mother did, but in exchange you seem to have something different entirely.Ē
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: In regards to Sango.
- Shrinking Violet: At the beginning. She had to shred her shyness away as the story unfolded.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Koishi inherently believes in humanity, while Satori believes the only way to change humanity is violence. Their powers are also opposite: Koishi's ability to dive into people's mind and subconscious mezzing contrast with Satori's mind reading. Furthermore, they wield opposing elements, Water is Koishi's domain while her sister controls Shock and Awe
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Koishi's power lets her communicate telepathically with youkai, regardless of form.
- Super Mode: Ocean Princess Koishi, now more of a Mid-Season Upgrade
- Swiss Army Weapon: Her trident can transform into a whip, fire Wave Motion Gun beams and a sword.
- Warrior Therapist
- Whip It Good: Her weapon's secondary form.
"I'm not introducing you to any new world, Koishi. I'm just helping you see what's already there."Initiate of the White Pearl, and Koishi's partner. She is a dolphin youkai.
- Fish out of Water: Almost literally.note She comes from the ocean, and she doesn't have that great a grasp on human culture.
- Heroic Dolphin
- Hidden Depths: Pun aside, she seems to have some unresolved issues in the past regarding failure that haven't been brought to light just yet.
- Light Haired Swimmer
- Little Bit Beastly: Even in humanoid form, she can't quite hide the dorsal fin on the back of her neck through magical means, so she has to wear a jacket.
- Original Character
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Not as much as Jozu is, but it's there.
- Stock Animal Diet: Being a dolphin, Sango greatly prefers fish (particularly mackerel) to all other foods and will often extol its virtues.
- Verbal Tic: "Phwee~" as a Shout-Out to Sakura Kinomoto. She actually does it on purpose as a form of magic sonar, and drops it when not needed.
- Worthy Opponent: Towards Jozu. It's mutual.
"I trusted you, kid. You let me down."The second Siren to be awakened. She has a major grudge against Kaguya for stealing her recipe for the Hourai Elixir, her dream health supplement, but more importantly for her perceived betrayal.
- Bare-Fisted Monk/Good Old Fisticuffs
- Energy Absorption: Her gloves can absorb magical attacks, which acts as a power source for her stronger abilities.
- If It Tastes Bad, It Must Be Good for You: At one point she gives Sakuya a special cookie mix. The result smells less like cookies and more like broccoli.
- Irrational Hatred: Towards Kaguya. She's working through it.It hurt. It hurt like hell. She didn't care, she just wanted this thought to go away. The more she looked at that face, the less Kaguya looked like a heartless monster, and the more she looked like a stupid girl who made a stupid choice to win over her daddy.She didn't want Kaguya to have an explanation. Explanations meant she'd need to accept that she had a reason for screwing her over beyond being a heartless bitch, and then she'd have to let the grudge go. But forgiveness was hard, so much harder than just staying angry.
- Teen Genius: But only when it comes to chemistry or biology.
- We Used to Be Friends: Towards both Kaguya and Cirno, for different reasons.
"Iíve still got plenty to teach you. You donít even know any of the fun moves yet."Math teacher at Gensouto High, though she is far better suited to teaching physics. She's also the Mission Control for the White Pearl.
- The Atoner: For her role in creating The Ravager.
- It's All My Fault: It takes a slap and a Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! from Koishi to snap her out of this.
- Never Live It Down: Once in class she added two plus two and got five.She forgot to carry one digit on one calculus question, and now she couldnít go five minutes without someone bringing it up in her presence.
- Really 700 Years Old
- Renaissance Woman: "Kawashiro Nitori. Physics professor. Magical cult leader. Bartender...?"
"I implore you. Watch for the Sirens. Ensure that they are kept safe. And most of all, make sure that the Teardrops do not fall into the wrong hands. I ask you this, as a former ruler of your people; for I would rather you had a kingdom still standing to rule."Former leader of the youkai. Sacrificed herself to protect the world from the Ravager.
- Big Good
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the backstory.
- Posthumous Character
- Shrouded in Myth: This has prompted a lot of in-universe Wild Mass Guessing as to who she was. Even her species was a mystery.
Project 046, The Ravager
"We had made it too intelligent, and after it achieved sentience it wanted to rule over everything itself."A living weapon created by the Kappa. It won the war against humans with ease, but when the youkai ordered it back to base, it turned out it had different plans...
- Gone Horribly Right
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- You Are Number 046: Until the humans gave it its charming nickname.
Sakuya Izayoi/Miyo "Myon" Konpaku
"Well, when it comes to cleaning up my own mess, Iíd say this is a good way to start."The third Siren to join the team. Works at the Scarlet Bakery, and more importantly as a Meido for the Scarlet sisters, who she is utterly devoted to.
- Amnesiac Hero
- The Atoner: After finally getting over her extreme denial of the Scarlets' XP, she decides to make amends however she can.
- Card Sharp
- Composite Character: Sakuya and Youmu's ghost half.
- Death Dealer/FlechetteStorm: Throws cards that shoot knives depending on the card drawn.
- Dumb Blonde: She exploits this by dying her hair to seem less suspicious.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Heard but not seen at the Scarlet Bakery during the first arc, working with Meiling.
- Fake American: Masquerades as one in order to bring gamblers' defenses down by underestimating her.
- The Gambler
- Glass Cannon: Sakuya's Death Dealer abilities enable her to bombard her opponents from tricky directions at a distance. In close combat, she is far less skilled.
- Good Is Not Nice/Pragmatic Hero: To the point of scaring some of her teammates at times.There was something in those eyes that scared Nitori. It was a look of disregard, what could be politely referred to as pragmatism. She was grateful that Sakuya was on their side, because she would have made a dangerous enemy.
- Gratuitous French: Her transformation phrase.
- Healthcare Motivation: Towards the Scarlets. She has spent years trying to find a cure for the Scarlets' XP, despite it being a genetic condition and inherently incurable. It becomes an unhealthy thing for her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She is among the snarkiest and pragmatic of the Sirens. However, she has a soft spot for her sister and her adopted family.
- Sleep Cute: With Flandre.
- Storm of Blades
- Time Stands Still: Her inherent ability. However, unlike her canon counterpart, it is far more limited.
- This Is My Name on Foreign: As a Fake American, Sakuya Izayoi note uses the pseudonym "Luna Fullerton".
"Iím the example you part-timers are expected to follow. Now, if youíll follow me..."Aya's subordinate at the Bunbunmaru News. And also an undercover agent of the White Pearl.
- Fantastic Racism: As noted in-story.She had always been prideful, Nitori thought to herself. A brilliant operative, but one with a habit of letting her prejudices get the better of her.
- She harbors a dislike for Sango as well, despite her being a fellow youkai, because while the surface world the wolf youkai once ruled is overrun and being polluted like whoa, Sango lives in the deep ocean where that pollution is easier to avoid.
- Subordinate Excuse: After the events of the fourth arc, she asks to be reassigned to the permanent protection of Aya Shameimaru.
- Tsundere: Towards Aya.
"You canít win them all, Eiki. There was nothing you couldíve done to change it, and yet youíre lazing around here beating yourself up rather than getting out there and doing something."Assistant judge at the court of Gensouto, and Eiki Shiki's best friend. She's also Aya's secret informant, the Red Lily, and is also the fourth Siren to be revealed.
- Broken Ace: Left thoroughly disillusioned by her experiences as a prosecutor in the past.
- Charged Attack: Homing bullets and Last Rites require more time to charge, but are more powerful or versatile than her regular bullets
- Cynical Mentor/Sempai Kouhai: Towards Sumire.It was like looking down at a younger version of herself before things had started to come apart. She made a mental note to watch Sumire just to make sure she didnít make the same mistakes Komachi had.
- Girlish Pigtails: A nice visual contrast to her personality.
- Hand Cannon: her Magical Girl Weapon of Choice.
- Knight in Sour Armor: After she herself is reinstated as a prosecutor.
- Mythology Gag: Higanbana, also called "Red Spider Lily".
- Obfuscating Stupidity: More like apathy, but it fits.
- Space Master: Her inherent ability. She uses it to manipulate the distance between herself and other things, and unknowingly uses it to dodge bullets at near point-blank range, among other uses.
- Tranquil Fury
Youki Saigyouji/really Youmu Konpaku
"Itís unbecoming of me. A warrior should remain resolute at all times."The fifth Siren. No one ever said all the Sirens had to be female, after all. However, "Youki" is secretly Youmu Konpaku, crossdressing as Youki for her adoptive mother's sake.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Youmu doesn't look half bad as a guy, judging by Koishi's reaction. Having a fit body helps.
- Becoming the Mask: After pretending to be Youki for so long, Youmu is reluctant to go back.
- Dual Wielding
- Happily Adopted: While there was some emotional manipulation going on courtesy of Yuyuko, Youki (Youmu) really does appreciate being adopted into the Saigyouji family after her family's death.
- Long-Lost Relative: Sakuya's sister.
- Master Swordsman/Improbable Age: Ranked 3-dan before the age of 20.
- Replacement Goldfish: For the real Youki.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: In both personality and abilities, to Sakuya. Sakuya is a Glass Cannon who fires away cards at a distance, while Youmu's abilities mostly require her getting up close and personal. Furthermore, Sakuya's Pragmatic Hero tendencies irk Youmu's more honorable views
- Sweet Polly Oliver
- Wholesome Crossdresser: At Yuyuko's insistence.
"Donít mention it. Anyway, Iíd better go before the suits start asking questions."The sixth Siren. She likes to sneak out of the Myouren Institute for a taste of freedom.
- Back from the Dead: After her death in the orphanage fire, Shou makes use of her Teardrop to tag along with Nazrin as a ghost. However, only Nazrin and Koishi can hear her
- Good Samaritan: Sango runs into her quite by chance on the street when she saves Sango's wallet from being stolen. She even comes Back from the Dead to deal with the Black Claw
- Think Nothing of It: It seems that every time she escapes from the Myouren Institute, she stops a crime in progress.
- Mission Control: Due to her ghost status, Shou mostly lends Nazrin her powers while playing this role.
- Sharing a Body: With Nazrin
"Sorry, Nazrin, but I really donít get a lot of visitors. Be good, okay?"Shou's pet mouse. She becomes the sixth Siren by borrowing Shou's power.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Dual Wielding: Her Recoil Rods
- Heads-Up Display: A result of Shou's Ghost-Rat Protocol.
- Power Armor: Nazrin and Shou's combined Siren form shares some aspects of this along with some traits of Adaptive Armor
- Sharing a Body: Shou shares her mind, enabling her to transform into a Siren
- Taken for Granite: Mamizou betrays Nazrin and turns her temporarily into stone
Civilians of Gensouto
Introduced in the first arc
Rin Kaenbyou (Orin) and Utsuho Reiuji (Okuu)
Koishi: "Iíll just have to be as good a master as Satori was, wonít I?"
Okuu and Orin: "You already are, Koishi-sama."Orin and Okuu are Koishi's pets. They originally belonged to the entire Komeiji family, then to Satori and Koishi, and now that Satori has disappeared, they live together in Koishi's care.
- Broken Masquerade: They are quite pleased to learn that now Koishi can converse with them and they no longer have to keep to their animal guises all the time.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Orin to Koishi early on.
- Happily Adopted: By the Komeiji family.
- Those Two Guys
"I...I thought I lost you...Koishi, I was so worried..."Koishi's older sister. She disappeared some time before the start of the story. She now serves the Claw as the Masked Woman
- Big Damn Heroes: Saved her sister Koishi from death by drowning when they were younger.
- Never Found the Body: She vanished without a trace several years ago. Koishi refuses to give up on her.
"'Cause I'm the strongest."Head of the Fairies, a vicious gang at Gensouto High. Enjoys preying on Koishi and making people fear her in general.
- An Ice Person
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- He Who Fights Monsters: Mokou trained Cirno to defend herself from bullies, but she ended up becoming the leader of the bullies herself.
- More Than Mind Control: The Mindcoil latches onto whatever underlying psychological issues the victim has to exploit and get them to attack the Sirens. In Cirno's case, it feeds on her resentment towards Mokou and more importantly her own insecurity about being so weak.
- Victim of the Week
Daiyousei and Koakuma
"They say if you drop a 1000 yen bill into the donation box and make a wish, it's guaranteed to come true!"Two members of Cirno's gang, the Fairies.
"Alright, students, you wonít need your textbooks. Today, Iím going to teach you why humanity will never have a trustworthy government..."History teacher at Gensouto High School.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Politically Motivated Teacher
- Sadist Teacher: Revealed to be this in the sixth arc, towards Sango. And it causes a bit of Mood Whiplash.
Iku Nagae Actually the Woman in Black
"Komeiji-san. I just want you to know that if anything is troubling you, you can come to me and speak in private."Nurse at Gensouto High School.
- Disco Dan
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: In-universe example. Iku seems to think that Koishi's injuries, acquired during her magical girl battles, are actually evidence that Koishi is an abusive relationship with Sango.
- There Are No Therapists: Subverted. She's supposed to be just a nurse and not a therapist, but:She was so talented with reading the attitudes of others, though, that most of the school agreed she would be better employed as a negotiator, or even a therapist.
Introduced in the second arc
"Mokou-tan...we did it."Mokou's estranged former friend, who betrayed her and patented the Hourai Elixir without giving her any of the credit, and who she hasn't seen since that betrayal.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Kaguya's father expects her to be a brilliant pharmacist.
- Stepford Smiler
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Kaguya's father has very high expectations of her which she struggles to live up to. The Kaguya/Mokou feud actually started when she stole the Hourai Elixir (in this universe, a health supplement that really works) from Mokou to please him, and Kaguya is implied to feel extremely guilty about it.
"...What I am about to tell you does not leave these walls. Am I understood?"Chemistry teacher at Gensouto High School.
- Cool Teacher: Has a good relationship with her students and the other teachers, and tells Mokou about Kaguya's father, though she only does that because she knows Mokou must have a good reason for it.
Introduced in the third arc
"...Well, you get points for guts, Iíll say that much. But Lady Luck only has one girl she gives a damn about, and itís me."A gambler secretly working for Rinnosuke Morichika, and his adoptive daughter of sorts. She develops a real hate-on for Sakuya after Sakuya counter-cheats to stop Tewi's cheating and walks away with millions of yen.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to the Mindcoil.
- Consummate Liar
- Freudian Excuse: Tewi became a compulsive liar from having to lie to herself.Mamaís just sleeping Papa didnít do anything to her—
- The Gambler
- Little Miss Con Artist: She's lucky, yes, but the cards also happen to be rigged in her favour.
- More Than Mind Control: The Mindcoil latches onto her preexisting issues regarding the lies she's told herself since childhood regarding her father's brutal beatdowns and eventual murder of her mother.
- Self-Duplication: Tewi's latent power.
- Victim of the Week
"There, there, darling. Itís okay. Uncle Kourin is here for you."Owner of a casino, the Rabbit's Foot, and known to be involved in much more shady dealings as well.
- Adaptational Villainy
- Big Bad: Played with. He sees himself as this, but the Black Claw regards him as not much more than a useful pawn and a loyal source of funding. Nevertheless, he manages to be a real pain for the Sirens to deal with, and as far as non-supernatural happenings go, he is a big bad.
- Dark and Troubled Past: According to the court's records, though not many details have surfaced yet.
- The Don
- Faux Affably Evil
- Karma Houdini: Rinnosuke literally gets away with murder, by bribing or discrediting everyone connected to any charge brought against him. He's not a Villain with Good Publicity; everyone knows he's The Don, they just can't do anything about it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Especially towards Tewi.
"...Suu-san, why are all the customers so rude today?"Receptionist at Asakura National Health Clinic. Likes to talk to the poisonous flowers on the front desk.
- Take Over the World:They caught her muttering something about world domination to her flowers and wisely decided to ignore her entirely.
- Uncanny Valley: Looks like a doll with all that makeup on.
"Iím sorry."A doctor at Asakura National Health Clinic.
- Back-Alley Doctor: The health clinic has seen better days, and it's a setup by the Black Claw to kill Sakuya anyway.
- The Cameo: Not so much from the original series, because she didn't have a big role there, but from the original fanfic that Sango is from, where she was the antagonist.
"Remilia Scarlet, the noblest vampire of Gensouto. Trust me, the pleasure is all yours."Elder of the Scarlet sisters. Not actually a vampire.
- Actually Not a Vampire: Remilia and her sister suffer from Xeroderma pigmentosum, and Remilia pretends to be a vampire as a coping mechanism.
- Ill Girl
- Large Ham
- Not So Stoic: She breaks down sobbing into Flandre's arms when she discovers that Flandre has come to terms with the fact that she will never get better, but resolves to make the best of her life anyway.
"Iím sick of this stupid game you keep playing. What if I donít wanna be a vampire? What if I wanna be normal just like everyone else?!"Younger of the Scarlet sisters. Unlike her sister, she doesn't put on a show of being a vampire to cope, she's just frustrated and this drives her to latch onto Sakuya's intense denial.
- Bloody Murder/Cast from Hit Points: Her latent ability as a member of the Scarlet family, also known as the Blood Knights.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Some time after her arc, it's mentioned that she's getting a Magical Girl costume designed for herself.
- Escapism: She's a Magical Girl otaku.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Double subverted; she knows she can never be healthy, but regardless she decides to live the most normal life she can.
- Ill Girl
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": When Koishi rescues her from imminent death by drowning, she finally comes face-to-face with a real-life Magical Girl, like in all the stories she likes reading.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She always guessed that Sakuya wouldn't be able to save them, and came to terms with it before Sakuya herself did, but she went along with Sakuya to make her feel better.
- Power-Strain Blackout: After manifesting Laevatein.
- Secret Keeper: For Sakuya.
- Spell My Name with an "S": As a reference to ZUN's inconsistent spelling of Flandre/Frandle/Frandoll Scarlet.Nitori typed in the name lazily. They had to settle for the family name, Scarlet, mainly because all of them found the name Flandre so foreign they had no clue how to spell it.
"I wanted to disappoint you when you dug up the truth."A brilliant geneticist who specializes in genetic disorders, she ended up being hired by Remilia and Flandre's parents to take care of them in their illness, and is now their legal guardian.
- Escapism: The reason for her love of magical girl manga.
- Ill Girl: For different reasons than the Scarlets - she just has a weak constitution in general, not tied to any one illness.
- Open Heart Dentistry: Patchouli is a geneticist, but accepted a probably-misinformed request to work as the Scarlets' obstetrician because it payed well (and her own poor health made it hard to find work in her actual field).
- Renaissance Woman: Geneticist, multilinguist, obstetrician, librarian, bakery manager.
- What Could Have Been: In-universe. Patchouli had enormous potential as a geneticist and could work anywhere thanks to her natural gift for picking up on languages, but her poor health got in the way.Koishi caught, for the tiniest moment, a hint of sadness in Patchouliís eyes. She was speaking eagerly of a life she never had the chance to live, and that fact had left its mark on her.
"But Iíve worked here for fifteen years, and I owe it to Valéry-san that his children stay safe. If you want to get in, youíre going to have to go through me."Bakery attendant at the Scarlet Bakery, and also the guard of the Scarlet Mansion.
- Drives Like Crazy
- Early-Bird Cameo: She's the attendant at the Scarlet Bakery that Koishi drops by before school starts to pick up breakfast.
- Fiery Redhead
- Go Through Me
- Worthy Opponent: Jozu briefly shook off her disinterest in anything but her upcoming job to fight her in an honorable duel.
Introduced in the fourth arc
To this day sheíd never presided over a case and made a ruling which was considered unfair. Her sentencing was just, her conviction absolute, and her desire to find the truth nigh-limitless.Eiki Shiki is a judge of the Gensouto court system, and Komachi's boss. She presides over Morichika's trial.
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Broken Ace: Well on her way to becoming this when the Black Claw sinks its... er, claws into her.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When the case against Morichika goes all wrong.
- Evil Is Hammy: "None of you shall ascend this day. Your vile souls will pave the depths of Hell!"
- The Fettered: She hates every moment of having to let Morichika off the hook during his trial.
- Guilty Pleasure: It turns out that she loves B-Movies.
- The Judge
- More Than Mind Control: The Mindcoil brings out some latent Knight Templar tendencies in her, and latches onto her frustration regarding her perceived inability to keep the worst criminals off Gensouto's streets.
- One-Winged Angel: More literal than the other mindcoil victims in that she actually does gain wings in her showdown with the Sirens.
- Perpetual Smiler: Under the Mindcoil's influence.
- Victim of the Week
- What the Hell, Hero?: At least twice she gets called out by other characters. Once by Keine and the crowd of protestors that demands a reopening into the case against Morichika (though, not much Eiki can do about that one for now), and more importantly by the Sirens who deduce that the person in the crowd who turned the protestors into an angry mob was planted by Eiki herself, acting under the influence of the Mindcoil.
"From her raised vantage point, Eiki could make out a keepsake the lawyer had hidden beneath the bench - a shako cap, the sort the Japanese army used to use. Sumire had told her over drinks that it had been her grandfatherís, and that sheíd wanted to keep up the family tradition of keeping the people of Gensouto safe."A talented new prosecutor of the court. She presents the evidence against Morichika at his trial.
- NaÔve Newcomer
- Nice Hat
- Original Character: Not one of the writer's, however; she's from another Touhou fanfiction, White Rose of Chireiden. And the author of that story is writing this entire character sheet.
- Sempai Kouhai: Seems to look up to Komachi; for her part, Komachi keeps an eye out for her to make sure she doesn't end up a Broken Ace the way Komachi did in her backstory.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Much to Komachi's dismay.ďKomachi-san...the more I read into Morichikaís past, the more I wonder how much of a monster he really is. He was born into a bad family and got brought up to see lying and stealing as a virtue. I feel like...like itís not so much his fault as it is the fault of the circumstances he got brought up in.Ē
"Iíd like to be the good guy, but when good doesnít pay well enough you have to go with what you can get, donít you?"Rinnosuke's lawyer. Apathetic, lazy, disrespectful, and damn good at twisting the facts.
- Amoral Attorney: She comes off like this in a big way during her first appearance. In the sixth arc, however, it's subverted in that she does have morals, she's just resigned to doing the only thing she can do well (which is to game the legal system) in order to pay for the upkeep of the Hakurei Shrine. And when she gets the chance, she cooperates in passing on some information about her worst client, Morichika, in order to try to finally put him behind bars.
- Demoted to Extra: The main protagonist of the Touhou series is a relatively minor character in this story.
- Hidden Depths
"I donít want to see any of you out here until itís done, or you can all go find jobs at Kakashi News! ... But donít get a job at Kakashi News. Himekaidou is an asshole, yíknow that? Thinks she can run a paper and be a journalist at the same time. What a bitch."Bunbunmaru reporter and editor. She normally just writes tabloids and gossip columns, but she also has exclusive access to the Red Lily, an informant in the Gensouto Court.
- Egopolis: Downplayed in that it's just her office, but she seems to cover everything from door buzzers to coffee mugs with "AYA SHAMEIMARU - BUNBUNMARU REPORTER AND EDITOR" in garishly large font.
- Intrepid Reporter
- Put on a Bus: Puts herself on a bus, hiding out in a safe house after she breaks another story from the Red Lily on Morichika.
- The Rival: To Hatate.
"Koishi could make out an almost manic glint in the reporterís eye as she reveled in every moment she spent on public television."A news reporter on TV, who also runs a rival newspaper to Aya's.
- Unknown Rival: It has yet to be seen if Hatate even knows Aya is chomping at the bit to establish her newspaper as superior to her own Kakashi News.
Introduced in the fifth arc
"Oh, look at the little girl trying to act so formal! Itís just too adorable, isnít it?"Current head of the Saigyouji family, and Youki Saigyouji's mother.
- Abusive Parents: She may be a legitimately nice woman, but she is this towards Youmu in regards to her crossdressing as Youki.
- Ambiguously Human: Subverted. She is human, but she does a really good job of being as eccentric and slightly off-kilter as a youkai would be.
- Cuteness Proximity
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She loves doting on Sango and Youki, and she's also a Master Swordsman."[The Saigyouji family] has been skilled swordsmen for centuries, but itís only the last few generations that have really stood out. Yuyuko was pretty much the brightest star of the lot - easily one of the top 100 kendo practitioners of her generation, and one of the top 5 women."
- Hidden Depths: Yuyuko is introduced in a manner much like her canon counterpart: happy-go-lucky, casually rich and powerful, and friendly. In reality, she has been in deep denial for the past ten years that her son ever died, and that she's manipulated Youmu into crossdressing so that she could maintain the illusion that her son was still alive.
- Hyper Awareness: At one point, she correctly deduced that someone behind her was about to open a door they probably shouldn't, because she couldn't hear the sound of floorboards being walked on anymore.
- Stepford Smiler: Her house is huge and grand, and unlike the other rich people she deals with, she made every yen of her wealth legitimately. She has a warm, personable manner with the temporary workers she hired to clean up the backyard. She dotes on her son Youki, and seems to cultivate an image of friendliness and kindness. Nope.
The original Youki Konpaku
"Yes, yes! They didnít forget. They didnít forget me! Mother didnít-"The real Youki Konpaku, Yuyuko's son. He died ten years ago in a childhood illness, and when he died, Yuyuko made Youmu crossdress in order to convince herself that her son was still around.
"...Princess Kotohime, may I request an audience?"A detective and self-declared princess who is excellent at what she does. Not formally affiliated with the Gensouto Court, but Komachi has called on her before to find information.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Incredibly egotistical and eccentric, but she is indeed the best at finding information that not even the court could track down without her help.
- Insufferable Genius: Komachi goes out of her way to avoid Kotohime, unless she really needs her assistance.
- Playful Hacker
"Remilia hired a professional costume artist to design a magical girl outfit with her. Kirisame, I think her name was."
- The Cameo/Demoted to Extra: The Deuteragonist of Touhou is only mentioned in the background as a costume designer for Flan's Magical Girl outfit.
Introduced in the sixth arc
"These kids need love and affection desperately, and while the Institute does its best we canít fill in for a real parental figure. There arenít enough of us to go around, sadly, so itís people like you that deserve the real praise."Director of the Myouren Institute, an orphanage/religious organization/charity that takes care of abandoned children in Gensouto.
- Orphanage of Love: What the Myouren Institute is supposed to be, at least.
Introduced in the seventh arc
Mamizou FutatsuiwaA girl working at the Gensouto zoo She is actually Mamizou Futatsuiwa, the former queen of the tanuki.
- Combat Pragmatist: In her fights with Ran and the Sirens, she shows absolutely no sense of fair play. Mamizou's liberal use of backstabs, dopplegangers, petrification, and trickery place her fighting style firmly in this trope
- Doppleganger Attack: Uses a lot of clones in combat, mostly to confuse opponents and provide distractions. To make matters worse, they can also attack physically
- Friend to All Living Things: At first
- Sadistic Choice: During the war against the Ravager, the Ravager threatened to attack her people unless she ambushed her own allies, the kitsune under Ran. Mamizou chose to ambush her own best friend, thus leading to Ran's Roaring Rampageof Revenge
Agent Indigo /Ran YakumoAn agent looking for Mami Agent Indigo is actually Ran Yakumo, Yukari's former servant and queen of the Kitsune, in the middle of a Roaring Rampageof Revenge against Mamizou as a result of Mamizou's decision to ambush the kitsune.
- Battle Aura
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Towards Mamizou
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Revenge Before Reason: She abandoned her own responsibilities to chase after Mamizou for centuries
- Vengeance Feels Empty: Upon Mamizou's death, Ran doesn't actually have any purpose in life left. Nitori convinces her to direct her efforts towards fighting the Black Claw
The Black Claw
Tropes describing all members of the Black Claw
Individual members of the Black Claw
"Iím not here to stand for the Claw. Iím just here because I like the smell of blood."A member of the Black Claw, a shark youkai from the tropical seas.
- Blood Knight: As her quote indicates.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks
- Little Bit Beastly
- Noble Demon: She doesn't use dirty tricks when fighting.
- Original Character
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Super Serum: A vial of blood she keeps around to smell whenever she wants to really let loose.
- Worthy Opponent: Faced Meiling honorably in a duel for this reason. Later she comes to regard Sango as this.
Sword-wielding Black Claw operative /Satori Komeji
"..."Another Black Claw fighter, introduced in the fourth arc.
- Apologetic Attacker: She apologizes before attacking Koishi at the zoo
- Domino Mask
- FaceĖHeel Turn: Satori was captured by the Black Claw and convinced by Leviathan to aid their cause
- In the Name of the Moon: Her chant is different from her sister's. In fact, it is explicitly its "antithesis"
''ďThe wheels of change are crimson red
Rebellion rears its ugly head
Iíll pay no mind to evilís plea
For Iím the Violet Valkyrie!Ē''
- Shock and Awe
- Summon Magic: She can open up portals to the ocean and summon fishmen directly from there.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Satori believes that the only way to stop humanity's excesses is through violence. This places her in direct conflict with her sister
- The Voiceless
The Woman in Black /Iku Nagae/Leviathan
"I see. So you seek power?"Seems to be one of the higher-ups in the Black Claw. She has the power to inflict the Mindcoil on people. In reality, she is Leviathan, another member of the Ravager research team. Already a brilliant scientist, she became even more involved in the project due to a Roaring Rampage of Revenge against humanity after her parents were killed. She posed as Iku Nagae, the school nurse in order to have easier access to the Sirens