open/close all folders
Jodie Saintemillion. See here for more information on her.
who had previously been a part of the Black Organization as codename, Rye, before his cover was revealed. He chases after the Black Organization in the present time.He was supposedly killed at the end of the Kir arc to implant Hidemi Hondou back as a spy in the Black Organization. At the moment he is hiding under the persona of Subaru Okiya.Mandatory Naming Note: "Aka" in "Akai" comes from Char Aznable of Mobile Suit Gundam, who drives a red mecha. "Shuichi" is part of his voice actor's name.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blue eyes in the manga, green eyes in the anime.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Shu" by Jodie.
- Amicable Exes: With Jodie — they dated fives years prior to the story, but when Shuichi infiltrated the Black Organization, he started dating Akemi Miyano in order to gain more info, but fell in love with her. He decided to break up with Jodie, citing, "To be able to love two women at the same time…it's not that handy a personality". Despite this and Jodie's lingering feelings for him, they work well together with no friction from their past romance.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His deductive prowess is on par with the titular hero's.
- Badass Driver: Akai is a skilled driver. He can overtake many cars quickly in heavy traffic conditions and drift around a u-turn.
- Badass Teacher: He was the one who taught proficient Jeet-Kune Do Sera on how to do the said martial art.
- Becoming the Mask: He at first dated Akemi solely to infiltrate the Syndicate better. He ended up falling in love with her for real.
- Betty and Veronica: The "Archie" for Akemi's mysterious Anti-Villain from an amoral syndicate ("Veronica") to Jodie's straight-arrowed FBI agent ("Betty"). Originally, Akai was in a relationship with Jodie and only dated Akemi to get more info about the Organization, but came to fall in love with her for real and decided to break up with Jodie as a result.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Subaru, while he looks and acts like a friendly Sherlock Holmes-loving grad student and a Big Brother Mentor living in Conan/Shinichi's house, yet he also sometimes gives Ai the chills, which only happens around Black Organization members and Shuichi Akai.Conan, explaining why he let the fox-faced Subaru stay at his house: "A person who loves Sherlock Holmes couldn't possibly be evil!"
- He also seems to have figured out that Conan is Shinichi thanks to eavesdropping.
- Big Brother Mentor:
- Played with. As Akai, he promised his girlfriend Akemi that he'd help her sister Ai. He's sorta fulfilling it, but under a fake identity.
- Played straight with Masumi, his younger sister. As she was growing up, he would send her training tapes of Jeet Kune Do that she could practice.
- Big Fancy House: Subverted. As Subaru, he's only the caretaker of the Kudo mansion.
- Birds of a Feather: With Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa — Both have amazing deductive skills, determination, trouble relating to others, calm even when threatened with death, fans of Sherlock Holmes. They share similar personality traits which includes the same Fatal Flaw ("I work alone" tendencies) and while they will do anything to protect their loved ones, they are also not above manipulating them either to apprehend a criminal and/or gain information. They both even have a main Love Interests who are both similar in appearance and personality as well as a similar predicament. They both have double lives, with their alter-ego still solving crimes and wearing glasses. Additionally, The Boss of the Black Organization believes Akai to be a 'Silver Bullet' who could potentially bring them down. Vermouth eventually also gives this nickname and status to Shinichi.
- But Not Too Foreign: It's been recently revealed that Akai's mother is British and he was originally also raised in Britain, but he later went to school in the United States and obtained dual citizenship before joining the FBI.
- Catch-Phrase: Akai has a few expressions that he uses with enough regularity that others are able to make a connection between him and Subaru Okiya based on his use. For instance, "Don't make that kind of face" is what prompts Haibara to connect him to Dai Moroboshi, the name he used when she knew him. "Fifty-Fifty" allows Jodie to, in hindsight, connect the dots and realize Akai faked his death.
- Char Clone: Physically not so much, but Akai's name and former alias, Dai Moroboshi are both references to Char Aznable and they even wound up sharing the same voice actor. He also is always seen wearing a hat. Gosho Aoyama even confirmed the inspiration by once doodling half the face of Char and drawing Akai as the other half. Then as Subaru Okiya, Akai becomes a straightforward example. He's blonde in the manga (although the anime made it more strawberry blonde), he drives a red car (white in some instances) with suicide doors, he wears glasses and squints most of the time and his Long-Lost Relative is Masumi Sera.
- Cold Sniper: He's a rather aloof and intimidating guy even without a sniper rifle in his hand, but...
- Dark Is Not Evil: He looks quite sinister, especially a few years back when its shown that his black hair was once as long as Gin's, but he's definitely a good guy.
- Determinator: He is a skilled and relentless pursuer and detective, qualities which have labeled him the number one enemy of the Black Organization and earned him the nickname "Silver Bullet".
- Drink Order: His favorite drink is bourbon, but he's taken a liking to scotch.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: One of his trademark features are his eyes which have permanent bags underneath them that make him appear sleep deprived.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When he infiltrated the B.O., his hair was long enough to trail well down his back. In the present time, his hair is cut.
- Eyes Always Shut: When disguised as Subaru. If he opens his eyes, it's clear that he's Shuichi Akai. Now in chapters 898, when disguised as Subaru, he sometimes opens his eyes while talking to Andre Camel and Jodie Starling.
- Face of a Thug: Conan (and others) describe him as an evil-eyed man. He's a bit intimidating, but he's not that bad.
- Faking the Dead: Currently living as Subaru Okiya.
- Fanboy: Of Sherlock Holmes.
- Fatal Flaw: Shuichi has an unhealthy tendency to prioritize his missions above the emotional well-being of his friends, coworkers, family, and love interests. Conflict between his missions and the interests of those he cares about has lead to significant sorrow for him and others.
- Foreshadowing: In the case where Okiya is introduced, the suspects were color-coded by a child. Okiya was the red guy. (Akai=red in Japanese).
- Friendly Sniper: Overall he's a pretty decent guy and actually gets along well with Conan.
- Genius Bruiser: High deductive and reasoning skills plus is an expert hand-to-hand combatant in Jeet Kune Do.
- Hidden Depths: Apparently, he can play the accordion.
- I Work Alone: Shuichi prefers to plan secretly, and will readily trick his friends and coworkers, even injuring them, if helps the success of his missions. Shuichi is often forgiven for these transgressions because his judgment is usually sound and his plans work out well. Shuichi's secret plans, while strategically robust in the short term, often cause emotional problems for others that he does not fully appreciate.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While not a "jerk" in the traditional sense, Shuichi has a tendency to be insensitive towards the emotional well-being of others, but isn't unempathic.
- Kissing Cousins: In a Q&A with fans in Singapore, Gosho confirmed that Akai and Akemi are cousins. Here. Its starts at 34:23
- Lady and Knight: A platonic version with Ai Haibara with him as the Knight. When the already adult Akai gave a Declaration of Protection to Haibara while masquerading as Subaru Okiya, he explicitly compared her to a princess and himself to a knight that would protect her. Subverted in that there are no romantic undertones because not only Ai is much younger than Akai and is Older Than They Look thanks to a Fountain of Youth, but she is the sister of his dead girlfriend Akemi, who is implied to have asked him to protect Ai before being murdered.
- Mixed Ancestry: Born to a Japanese father and a British mother.
- Nice Hat: His trademark black knit cap. He's also been seen wearing a brimmed hat. He's almost never seen without a hat of some kind.
- No Social Skills: Even though he means well, Shuichi is notably clumsy at trying to comfort and connect with others. As Okiya, his technique to approach Haibara leaves her terrified of him, and repeated contact only intensifies her loathing. Despite his social awkwardness, Shuichi is not unempathetic; he gives Jodie some hope by leaving her a message in his own handwriting, and leaves her a very roundabout hint about his identity after knocking her down even though he cannot reveal the truth to her yet.
- Parental Substitute: Invoked. His mother, Mary, wanted him to act as a surrogate father figure to his only sister and youngest sibling, Masumi, since their father died before she was born.
- Red Herring: Was set up to make readers think that he was Gin in disguise.
- The Reveal: He is Okiya Subaru. The reason why he's sensitive about his neck is because his covered neck hides a voice-changer choker, and the one time his bare neck is seen, he didn't say anything.
- Reverse Mole: Infiltrated the Black Organization and became "Rye".
- Shadow Archetype: To Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa, as they share many personality traits, but Akai represents what Shinichi/Conan could becomes if something were to happen to Ran, becoming more emotionally closed off with his other loved ones.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: As Subaru he wears glasses and hasn't lost his deduction skills.
- Smoking Is Cool: Shuichi is a heavy smoker, is an expert Cold Sniper, and is considered a huge threat against the Black Organization.
- The Southpaw: Akai has shown to be left-handed.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Akemi Miyano — He started dating her only to strengthen his position as The Mole for the Black Organization, but seeing that she was an Anti-Villain and that she liked him despite suspecting that he was using her made him change his mind. When he was found out he tried to get her to come with him, but she refused because her little sister was an Org. member and she didn't want to abandon her. And few afterwards, after a last and failed attempt to free herself and her sister, she was murdered.
- The Stoic: He never loses his cool, both as himself or as Subaru.
- Stoic Spectacles: While disguising as Subaru he now wears glasses and still the calm, stoic person he was as Shuichi.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Shuichi is remains stoic and detached from others, even his closest allies. However, his redeeming qualities towards said loved one are loyalty and compassion.
- Supreme Chef: In chapter 898, he said that it's Yukiko who taught him cooking when he disguised as Subaru.
- Walking Spoiler: He fakes his death and it's revealed YEARS later that he's currently living under the fake identity of Okiya Subaru.
- Working with the Ex: With Jodie — see the Amicable Exes section for more details, and despite their past romantic history, they occasionally work together when doing FBI-related assignments and do so in a professional and friendly manner.
Rena Mizunashi. See here for more information on her.
Voiced by Rikiya Koyama (JP)Eisuke's deceased father.He died some time before the beginning of the series to make sure his daughter, Hidemi, got planted safely in the Black Organization.Mandatory Naming Note: "Hondou" comes from the Japanese pronunciation of Bond. As in, James Bond. Meanwhile, "Ethan" comes from Ethan Hunt from the Mission: Impossible movies.
- Action Dad: He was a CIA agent and the father of two.
- Disappeared Dad: To Eisuke and Hidemi. For worse, Hidemi had to kill him.
- Mixed Ancestry: Ethan was a second generation Japanese-American.
- Multi-Ethnic Name: First name is American. Last name is Japanese.
- Papa Wolf: The Shoot Your Mate incident came from them being almost having their covers blow, and Ethan sacrificing himself to trick the Organization into believing Hidemi had shot him dead for treason. Doubles as a Heroic Sacrifice.
- Reverse Mole: He is a CIA agent who infiltrated Black Organization until his death.
Voiced by Iemasa Kayumi (JP)A high ranking FBI agent and the superior to Jodie, Akai, and Andre.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blonde in his first anime appearance. Has grey hair in subsequent episodes.
- Cool Old Guy: He even wants to listen to Conan.
- The Lestrade: He's basically the FBI version of the Tokyo police force's Juzo Megure.
- Mistaken Identity: During his first appearance, he was mistaken by the Japanese media to be the wealthy American sponsor of a popular circus that was visiting Japan. Unfortunately, so did some kidnappers looking for a ransom.
- Parental Substitute: Seems to have this relationship with Jodie, because her father was his fellow FBI partner.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Allows his agents to take the lead because he trusts their abilities.
- Secret Keeper: Akai has revealed that James already knew all along from the beginning about Akai's faked death. But he kept it a secret from everyone in FBI because Akai asked him not to tell everyone about it.
- The Stoic: Usually keeps a cool head.
Voiced by Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP)A recurring FBI agent who feels in-debt to Akai due to an error he made in a past Black Organization case.
- The Atoner: He volunteers to be the solo driver of the truck housing Kir to partially make-up for his past mistake.
- Badass Driver: During the time when he was tasked with deliberately transporting Kir back to the Black Organization, his superb driving skills allowed him to position the vehicle he was driving that was rigged with explosives such that he could escape from it unnoticed when it exploded.
- Busman's Holiday: Has a strange tendency to get caught up with the Mystery of the Week during his off-duty appearances.
- Drink Order: Camel likes fruit juice drinks, especially the one they serve at the restaurant on the top of the New Beika Hotel. His liking of them accidentally got him involved in murder case as the primary suspect.
- Face of a Thug: Which got him suspected as the culprit during a murder case.
- My Greatest Failure: How Andre feels regarding a past case that was meant to capture the Black Organization's Gin. At a warehouse where Akai, under his Rye alias, was going to meet Gin and have him forcibly arrested by a squad of FBI agents, he left his post when he noticed an old man walking in the area and told him to leave due to the area being dangerous. What Andre failed to realize was that this old man was a scout of the Black Organization making sure that the meeting between Akai and Gin was safe from outside interference. Not only did this expose Akai of being an FBI agent to the Organization, but Andre also believes that this led to Akai's girlfriend, Akemi Miyano, being murdered.
- Red Herring: He was thought to be the Black Organization's spy during the Haido Central Hospital arc.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He likes the special curry served at Danny's. Just like in the Drink Order section above, his liking of the food accidentally got him involved in a murder case, except this time as a primary witness.