open/close all folders
- See: Jodie Saintemillion
who had previously been a part of the Black Organization as codename, Rye, before his cover was revealed. He chases after the Black Organization in the present time.He was supposedly killed at the end of the Kir arc to implant Hidemi Hondou back as a spy in the Black Organization. At the moment he is hiding under the persona of Subaru Okiya.Mandatory Naming Note: "Aka" in "Akai" comes from Char Aznable of Mobile Suit Gundam, who drives a red mecha. "Shuichi" is part of his voice actor's name.
- Badass Driver: Akai is a skilled driver. He can overtake many cars quickly in heavy traffic conditions and drift around a u-turn.
- Badass Teacher: He was the one proficient Jeet-Kune Do Sera on how to do the said martial art.
- Becoming the Mask: He at first dated Akemi solely to infiltrate the Syndicate better. He ended up falling in love with her for real.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Subaru, while he looks and acts like a friendly Sherlock Holmes-loving grad student and a Big Brother Mentor living in Conan/Shinichi's house, yet he also sometimes gives Ai the chills, which only happens around Black Organization members and Shuuichi Akai.Conan, explaining why he let the fox-faced Subaru stay at his house: "A person who loves Sherlock Holmes couldn't possibly be evil!"
- He also seems to have figured out that Conan is Shinichi thanks to eavesdropping.
- Big Brother Mentor: Played with. As Akai, he promised his girlfriend Akemi that he'd help her sister Ai. He's sorta fulfilling it, but under a fake identity.
- Big Fancy House: Subverted. As Subaru, he's only the caretaker of the Kudo mansion.
- Catch Phrase: Akai has a few expressions that he uses with enough regularity that others are able to make a connection between him and Subaru Okiya based on his use. For instance, "Don't make that kind of face" is what prompts Haibara to connect him to Dai Moroboshi, the name he used when she knew him. "Fifty-Fifty" allows Jodie to, in hindsight, connect the dots and realize Akai faked his death.
- Char Clone: As Subaru Okiya, he's blonde (at least for his keyhole), he drives a red car (white in some instances) with suicide doors, he wears glasses and squints most of the time and his Long-Lost Relative is Masumi Sera.
- Cold Sniper: He's a rather aloof and intimidating guy even without a sniper rifle in his hand, but...
- Dark Is Not Evil: He looks quite sinister, especially in Ran's flashback when he had black hair as long as Gin's, but he's definitely a good guy.
- Determinator: He is a skilled and relentless pursuer and detective, qualities which have labeled him the number one enemy of the Black Organization and earned him the nickname "Silver Bullet".
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When he infiltrated the B.O., his hair was noticeably longer. In the present time, his hair is cut.
- Eyes Always Shut: When disguised as Subaru. If he opens his eyes, it's clear that he's Shuichi Akai. Now in chapters 898, when disguised as Subaru, he sometimes opens his eyes while talking to Andre Camel and Jodie Starling.
- Face of a Thug: Conan (and others) describe him as an evil-eyed man. He's a bit intimidating, but he's not that bad.
- Faking the Dead: Currently living as Subaru Okiya.
- Fanboy: Of Sherlock Holmes.
- Fatal Flaw: Shuichi has an unhealthy tendency to prioritize his missions above the emotional wellbeing of his friends, coworkers, family, and love interests. Conflict between his missions and the interests of those he cares about has lead to significant sorrow for him and others.
- Foreshadowing: In the case where Okiya is introduced, the suspects were color-coded by a child. Okiya was the red guy. (Akai=red in Japanese).
- Friendly Sniper: Overall he's a pretty decent guy and actually gets along well with Conan.
- I Work Alone: Shuichi prefers to plan secretly, and will readily trick his friends and coworkers, even injuring them, if helps the success of his missions. Shuichi is often forgiven for these transgressions because his judgment is usually sound and his plans work out well. Shuichi's secret plans, while strategically robust in the short term, often cause emotional problems for others that he does not fully appreciate.
- Nice Hat: His trademark black knit cap.
- No Social Skills: Even though he means well, Shuichi is notably clumsy at trying to comfort and connect with others. As Okiya, his technique to approach Haibara leaves her terrified of him, and repeated contact only intensifies her loathing. Despite his social awkwardness, Shuichi is not unempathetic; he gives Jodie some hope by leaving her a message in his own handwriting, and leaves her a very roundabout hint about his identity after knocking her down even though he cannot reveal the truth to her yet.
- Red Herring: Was set up to make readers think that he was Gin in disguise.
- The Reveal: He is Okiya Subaru. The reason why he's sensitive about his neck is because his covered neck hides a voice-changer choker, and the one time his bare neck is seen, he didn't say anything.
- Reverse Mole: Infiltrated the Black Organization and became "Rye".
- Shadow Archetype: To Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa, as they share many personality traits: Amazing deductive skills, have trouble relating to others, cool under pressure, their main flaw are their "I work alone" tendencies, not above manipulating their own friends/allies, their main love interest are even similar in appearance and personality with a similar predicament, and fans of Sherlock Holmes. They both have lived doubled lives. However, Conan/Shinichi still keeps in touch with Ran and even forms new friendships, Akai is emotionally closed, which became even more so after becoming Subaru.
- The Southpaw: Akai has shown to be left-handed.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Akemi Miyano.
- The Stoic: He never loses his cool, both as himself or as Subaru.
- Stoic Spectacles: While disguising as Subaru.
- Supreme Chef: In chapter 898, he said that it's Yukiko who taught him cooking when he disguised as Subaru.
- Walking Spoiler: He has faked his death and lived under fake identity, Okiya Subaru.
- See: Rena Mizunashi
Voiced by Rikiya Koyama (JP)Eisuke's deceased father.He died some time before the beginning of the series to make sure his daughter, Hidemi, got planted safely in the Black Organization.Mandatory Naming Note: "Hondou" comes from the Japanese pronunciation of Bond. As in, James Bond. Meanwhile, "Ethan" comes from Ethan Hunt from the Mission: Impossible movies.
- Action Dad: He is a CIA agent.
- Disappeared Dad: To Eisuke and Hidemi. For worse, Hidemi had to kill him.
- Papa Wolf: The Shoot Your Mate incident came from them being almost having their covers blow, and Ethan sacrificing himself to trick the Organization into believing Hidemi had shot him dead for treason. Doubles as a Heroic Sacrifice.
- Reverse Mole: He is a CIA agent who infiltrated Black Organization until his death.
Voiced by Iemasa Kayumi (JP)A high ranking FBI agent and the superior to Jodie, Akai, and Andre.
- Cool Old Guy: He even wants to listen to Conan.
- The Lestrade: He's basically the FBI version of the Tokyo police force's Juzo Megure.
- Mistaken Identity: During his first appearance, he was mistaken by the Japanese media to be the wealthy American sponsor of a popular circus that was visiting Japan. Unfortunately, so did some kidnappers looking for a ransom.
- Parental Substitute: Seems to have this relationship with Jodie, because her father is his fellow FBI partner.
- Secret Keeper: Akai has revealed that James already knew all along from the beginning about Akai's faked death. But he kept it a secret from everyone in FBI because Akai asked him not to tell everyone about it.
Voiced by Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP)A recurring FBI agent who feels in-debt to Akai due to an error he made in a past Black Organization case.
- The Atoner: He volunteers to be the solo driver of the truck housing Kir to partially make-up for his past mistake.
- Badass Driver: During the time when he was tasked with deliberately transporting Kir back to the Black Organization, his superb driving skills allowed him to position the vehicle he was driving that was rigged with explosives such that he could escape from it unnoticed when it exploded.
- Busman's Holiday: Has a strange tendency to get caught up with the Mystery of the Week during his off-duty appearances.
- Face of a Thug: Which got him suspected as the culprit during a murder case.
- My Greatest Failure: How Andre feels regarding a past case that was meant to capture the Black Organization's Gin. At a warehouse where Akai, under his Rye alias, was going to meet Gin and have him forcibly arrested by a squad of FBI agents, he left his post when he noticed an old man walking in the area and told him to leave due to the area being dangerous. What Andre failed to realize was that this old man was a scout of the Black Organization making sure that the meeting between Akai and Gin was safe from outside interference. Not only did this expose Akai of being an FBI agent to the Organization, but Andre also believes that this led to Akai's girlfriend, Akemi Miyano, being murdered.
- Red Herring: He was thought to be the Black Organization's spy during the Haido Central Hospital arc.