This is the character sheet for Ally McBeal
open/close all folders
Cage/Fish Attorneys and Associates
Titular character of the show, and a litigator at Cage and Fish. Becomes senior partner in Season 5. Played by Calista Flockheart.
- Action Girl: Rare, but it happens. Assaulted someone at a supermarket, no less.
- Birthday Hater: The closer her birthday was, the bigger her depression. She could never enjoy her day and celebrate, and had even trouble to civilly accept best wishes.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: And an actual lawyer, to boot.
- Character Title
- Cloudcuckoolander: Commented by Jenny (who's kooky herself) that Ally is more bizarre than she is.
- Crossover: Starred in one with The Practice, as herself.
- Fainting: Emotional variety, whenever she sees a girl she likes.
- Fanservice: The short skirts.
- Freudian Slip: Ally just can't get away from these.
- Hallucinations: Frequently does this.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Kitty Walker in Boston as a lawyer.
- It's All About Me
- Miss Imagination: Big time.
- She's Got Legs: And the skirts.
- Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss: Engages in one with Georgia. Later, does another with Ling.
- The Unfair Sex: Richard calls out Ally on believing this trope, as she was okay with a bride having an affair before a marriage, but not the groom.
One of the two initial senior partners at Cage and Fish. Played by Peter MacNichol
- Adorkable: Even more than Ally. Women who feel attracted to him find him adorably weird.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: One of the best examples in television. His legal defences are brilliant, and he's downright odd.
- Character Tic: He has an absurdly high number of them — his nose whistles, stammering "Poughkeepsie", his face above his lips shakes when he thinks about women's "moustaches", he has to be barefoot when preparing his closing arguments, he smiles intensely (a part of his therapy), has a personal song, he hangs in his office as a bat, he has to have a fresh toilet bowl, he has a secret small room in the office (don't ask where), and so on.
- In-Series Nickname: "Biscuit". It's a very old nickname from school. Elaine would use it from time to time.
- Mistaken for Gay: Nelle suspects this because John had yet to sleep with her.
- Mr. Imagination: He and his Barry White fantasy. Also had an Imagine Spot with Nelle the happy housewife and some kids.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Richard.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With Nelle in Seasons 2 and 3. The puppy.
- Verbal Tic: The nose noises and stammering "P-P-Poughkeepsie".
- Weirdness Magnet: The firm's lawyers and clients themselves are weird, but John always seems to draw in the crazies.
The other initial senior partner at Cage and Fish and Ally's classmate, who offers her a position at his firm. Played by Greg Germann
Gossipy and nosy secretary at Cage and Fish. Played by Jane Krakowski.
Associate at Cage and Fish, former boyfriend of Ally, and husband of Georgia. Played by Gil Bellows.
Associate at Cage and Fish, wife of Billy. Played by Courtney Throne-Smith.
Associate at Cage and Fish, joined at the beginning of Season 2. Played by Portia de Rossi.
- Beneath the Mask: Can actually be very sweet and loving beneath her cold exterior.
- Blondes Are Evil: Easily one of the nastiest people on the show. Ally once asked her to be nicer by singing at the bar.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Just as eccentric as everyone else, but she was the firm's most productive associate and was specifically brought in as a "rainmaker", to generate new business.
- Ice Queen: She was called "sub-zero" for this reason. She doesn't even stick her hand all the way out for a handshake. It changes as the series progresses.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Season 4 really starts this for her, starting when she spends the day with a doctor going to jail for euthanizing a client.
- In-Series Nickname: "Sub-zero" because she's so icy and unapproachable.
- Kick the Dog: Nelle leaves the firm in Season 3, and tries to steal the clients by manipulating Elaine. It doesn't go well for Nelle.
- Pet the Dog: Nelle has a few, but ultimately the largest is when she helps Elaine fulfill her dream to become a Broadway star.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With John. She's the pitbull.
- Rich Bitch
- Those Two Girls: Has this vibe with Ling.
- Woman Scorned: Leaves the firm in Season 3, but comes back later.
Associate at Cage and Fish, started as a client of Nelle's before she was hired a few episodes later. Friend of Nelle's. Played by Lucy Liu.
Associate at Cage and Fish, hired during the end of Season 3 following the death of Billy
. Series regular in Season 4. Played by James LeGros
Associate at Cage and Fish. Guest starred in Season 4, became a series regular in Season 5. Played by Regina Hall.
Associate hired by Ally at the beginning of Season 5. Glenn's former girlfriend. Played by Julianne Nicholson.
Associate hired by Richard at the beginning of Season 5. Jenny's former boyfriend. Played by James Marsden.
Associate hired at the beginning of Season 5, played by Josh Hopkins.
Singer at the piano bar the lawyers frequent. Played by herself.
Ally's roommate and D.A. Often sets Ally up with many different men. Played by Lisa Nicole Carson.
Lawyer introduced in Season 4 when Ally mistakes him as her therapist. Ends up dating Ally, played by Robert Downey Jr.
Judge and on-again, off-again lover to Richard. Played by Dyan Cannon.