Tsuki and the Video Master. They're a pair of nerds that review anime and episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic on YouTube. They're also been known to do web commentaries they call "Let's Watch" for the latter, as well as episodes of the Mega Man cartoon, anime OVAs, Felix the Cat: The Movie, My Little Pony: The Movie (1986), and Rainbow Brite: The Movie. They've also been known to run live stream for many varied reasons, whether to stream anime, wrestling, or video games.
Their usual style is Vlog Series, but they have been known to veer into (partially) scripted Video Review Show territory as well. Overall, the series is peppered with full-on silliness, nerdy references, nerdy jokes, and well...nerdy everything. While their show has never been listed among the very best, they do possess their own unique charm that keep many viewers coming back.
The FIM fandom has sometimes likened them to Snips and Snails from that series. Whether you see any resemblance or not is entirely up to you.
At the very least, anyone looking for a break from the normal Accentuate the Negative-style reviewer may find how positive these two guys can be very refreshing.
The Otaku Ascended provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny and Actually Pretty Awesome:
- They will admit it when an intended moment of humor actually works in even the worst works they review or Let's Watch.
- They'll also point out moments intended to be awesome in otherwise lackluster works that are actually awesome.
- Alternate DVD Commentary: Their Let's Watches.
- And Starring: Brony Comms, whenever they crossover with them. They've done this twice, once for the FIM episode, Best Night Ever and for a Sonic the Hedgehog OVA, though that was just Shadrow.
- ]Ass Pull: They'll call these out wherever they see them, even in works they like.
- Author Appeal: Tons. For one thing, My Little Pony practically took over the show at one point because the creators just got that distracted by it.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Without even trying!
- Beauty = Goodness: No, this has not escaped their notice, and they point it out anytime they see it, such as in FIM where villains will be designed ugly.
- Berserk Button: The Video Master is not a fan of the background pony known as "Daisy"
- Photo Finish makes his hatred for Daisy look like a crush.
- Book-Ends: They begin and end each video with this introduction:"I'm Tsuki.""I'm the Video Master."
- Broken Aesop:
- Commented on in My Little Pony: The Movie (1986), in which they point out that the witches are the ones who actually struggle and have to work together, whereas all the ponies had done up to that point was run Baby Lickity-Split out of town, so to speak.
- The moral of the movie was supposed to be "work together for a better future", or "buy our toys!".
- Caustic Critic: Played straight and averted. Played straight whenever they watch something that frankly is just terrible. Anything good they watch though will receive appropriate amounts of praise.
- Darker and Edgier: Whenever the work they're reviewing or watching does something darker than expected, they will usually praise it for having the guts to do it.
- Didn't We Use This Joke Already?: Frequently.
- Discussed Trope: In the FIM episode, Griffon The Brush-Up, where they talk about The Bully and how they tend to be lazily written characters designed only to receive their comeuppance. Neither one is particularly fond of the archetype.
- Early Installment Weirdness: More recent fans may be used to Tsuki sitting to the left and Video Master on the right will notice right away their positioning was inverted early on. Also, they hadn't come up with any of their usual greetings or other slogans.
- Face Palm: Tsuki hates the pun Fillydelphia in FIM. He does it so hard, you can hear it in the Let's Watch it turns up in.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: These two love to point them out.
- Fan Fiction: They did an entire video about it. Pony Fan Fiction, no less!
- And yes, they have commented on both Cupcakes and Pattycakes. They don't like either one.
- Flat "What": Frequently in the Debutante Detective Agency Let's Watch.
- Frivolous Lawsuit: Most of their commentaries of FIM were flagged, despite the fact that the videos fall under Fair Use. Thankfully, they have a back-up.
- It was undoubtedly the work of trolls, since the two have also posted commentaries of earlier My Little Pony works, but those were allowed to stay.
- Guilty Pleasure:
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Tsuki and Video Master.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: In The Last Straw!, Tsuki attempts to shoot Video Master dead. Despite being just a few feet away, he misses.
- Keet: Neither one is an extreme case, but they do have their moments.
- Lampshade Hanging: In Baby Cakes,they Make fun of their tendency to focus on Voice actors
- Let's Play: Tsuki ran one of a Super Mario Bros. 2 mod which replaced the Mario characters for pony characters on Brony Team LP's YouTube channel.
- Now they are doing a real one and it's F 3 AR or FEAR 3 ,CO-OP of course.
- Mind Screw: Pretty much all of Felix the Cat: The Movie, and parts of Rainbow Brite: The Movie.
- Money, Dear Boy: They correctly guess this is reason for so many celebrities offering their voices to My Little Pony: The Movie (1986).
- Nostalgia Filter: Played straight and averted. Yes, they will point out that the Felix the Cat and Rainbow Brite movies aren't that great. It doesn't stop the two from enjoying them, though.
- Plot Hole: They love pointing these out.
- Precision F-Strike: They're not as bad about swearing as a lot of internet reviewers are, but they will use this every now and again.
- Princesses Rule: Pointed out in FIM, Felix the Cat: The Movie, and Rainbow Brite: The Movie. They don't mind it, however.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Tsuki tends to be Red while the Video Master tends to more reserved, relatively speaking. You could argue it's more of a case of Tsuki just being more Keet than Video Master.
- Sanity Slippage: Apparently, if the Video Master spends too much time watching something, he'll end up thinking he's a character in it. As evidenced in one video when he spent all night watching old episodes of the Mega Man cartoon and ends up attacking someone ringing on his and Tsuki's doorbell.
- Self-Deprecation: Their own logo says "Stupidity Ahoy!"
- Sincerity Mode: The mode most of their videos fall into, since they're a Vlog Series.
- So Bad, It's Good: How they view Felix the Cat: The Movie and some others.
- Something Completely Different: Let's Watch! Something Different!
- So Okay, It's Average: In-Universe: What they thought of the My Little Pony TV Specials.
- Those Two Guys: Tsuki and the Video Master, themselves.
- Video Review Show: Attempted a few times before they gave up and returned to being a Vlog Series.
- Vlog Series: Yep.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: The Real Life variety, which sometimes causes schedule slips.
"Hi, I'm Tsuki.""I'm the Video Master."