Sad Panda Q&A is a show hosted by former Channel Awesome contributor Welshy and former That Guy with the Glasses (TGWTG) music producer Sad Panda. Despite the title, the series doesn't actually answer questions.
Supposedly viewers can send Sad Panda questions, which are then asked by Welshy. While he tries to get Panda to give at least one straight answer every episode, he usually fails after being blocked out by assorted madness such as cameos, flashbacks, insulting Cferra, subtitles, warning signs, and commercial breaks. Needless to say it has a very light grasp on continuity and one certainly shouldn't go there hoping to learn something about Panda.
The show was originally hosted by TGWTG, then returned for a single-episode second season on Phelous.com.
The series contains the following tropes:
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: Panda tries to borrow The Nostalgia Critic's in episode 2. He nearly gets shot for it.
- The Cameo: Lots of reviewers (both on and off the site) drop in to ask questions, comment, or just be plain weird.
- Creepy Monotone: When Welshy obeys Panda after being given a mind-control drug.
- Death Is Cheap: Welshy has died at least three times, twice in one episode, and once came back as a ghost.
- Distracted by the Sexy: When Welshy regenerates as ObscurusLupa in episode 10, Skitch has to try hard not to stare. And then in reverse as Panda regenerates as The Cinema Snob and uses his sexy voice.
- Does Not Like Women: Panda believes women are hellspawn. When The Cat appeared on his show, he tried to shoo her away with a broom.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In episode 5, an image of The Cat flashes briefly when they are explaining the budget cuts due to a cameo demanding lots of money.
- Fun with Subtitles: Every episode, most notably episode 5, where they describe everything that is happening in the first few minutes before they piss off Welshy and he shoots them.
- Go Look at the Distraction: To keep Panda from pointing out that the new theme song is from Power Rangers.Welshy: Look over there! It's a happy Panda!Panda: Really? *leaves and returns with a panda puppet*...Now what was I saying?Welshy: You were going to send me some money.
- Hypocritical Humor:Welshy: Sorry. Sorry, sorry, but I just don't apologize.
- Insult Backfire: In episode 6, Panda doesn't want to talk to Welshy, so he mutes him and plays the Power Rangers theme with lyrics changed to "Welshy is a douche bag!". Welshy shrugs and dances along.
- Literal-Minded: When asked how he writes his songs, he holds up a sheet of paper with the words "A Song" written on it. He also thinks The Cat is an actual cat, telling her to chase a ball of yarn and shooing her away with a broom.
- Multiple-Choice Past: Episode 4 tells how Welshy came to work for Sad Panda, with several different stories being told by various people.
- Nonindicative Name: Very rarely will they actually answer questions.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Panda uses it to kill NollUK, who lives in the states.Welshy: I'm just wondering how you traveled so fast.Panda: I use Sony Vegas!
- Painting the Medium: Actors interact with the elements of the show occasionally, like smacking away video clips and getting pushed back by captions. One Running Gag features English Subtitles making fun of Welshy and Panda, and usually have to be shooed off with a Sonic Screwdriver. There was a also a Warning Sign claiming that the show was going to become more serious, but it was beaten up by Welshy. Then it held Panda hostage in episode 7, before Welshy shot it.
- "Rashomon"-Style: Episode 4 has multiple retellings from the Sad Panda, Welshy and Smarty as to how the show first started.
- Retraux: The silent-movie version of Panda getting Welshy involved in the series in episode 4.
- The Reveal: The person behind the English Subtitles is Film Brain.
- Running Gag: Welshy getting silenced by guests.
- Self-Deprecation: They tend to insult themselves. A lot.Panda: Feel free to insult me at this email address.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Anthony Ragusa invokes by promoting his show five times in one episode.Anthony: I just wanted the biggest shameless plug...ever.
- Shoe Phone: Panda's phone is an Xbox 360. Apparently you can use a PS3 as well.
- Sincerity Mode: Panda drops the cynical sarcastic schtick whenever he talks about Ed Glaser, who is just a really excellent guy.
- Small Reference Pools: Professor Celluloid has a limited awareness of certain hair colors:
- Translation: "Yes": During the silent-movie part of episode 4, Welshy goes on what is obviously an angry rant; the title card afterwards reads "Sounds great! I'm in."
- The Unreveal: Panda reveals how he actually writes a song in episode 2... while muted.
- We Meet Again: ChaosD1 claims this when he sees Panda. Turns out it's the first time they met.ChaosD1: Really? I swear I thought we had a feud or something.
- Word Salad Lyrics:It's fun to answer questions by giving answers.I don't have a theme song,so I say everything that come out of my head:Blimp, sausages, prostitute, propeller, fork, questions!