Matt Williams, a.k.a. Welshy, is a reviewer on YouTube and formerly on Channel Awesome, as well as a member of the Channel Awesome Wiki staff. He can be found here, here and here. Always accompanied by a photo of Anne Hathaway, he does reviews with a focus on horror, like his Scream and Saw retrospectives, multiple Top 10 lists (often concerning Doctor Who) and two series called Why I Like... and My Problem With..., where he (quickly) goes into depth about something he does or does not like. Pretty straightforward really.
He is also the question giver on Sad Panda Q&A and has something of a drinking problem.
Announced on 17th May 2013 that he was leaving Channel Awesome and video making in general for personal reasons. He returned to internet video-making in October of 2014 on Phelous.com with fellow former TGWTG contributor Sad Panda.
- Aborted Arc: Computer problems caused the cancellation of his "James Bond Month."
- His retiring from video making meant that his "Saw" and "Halloween" Retrospectives went the same way.
- Bait-and-Switch Credits: If you left during the credits of The Loved Ones, you don't get to see the film's ending, or Welshy's hilarious The Merch offer.
- Big Bad: He's the cause of the Bad Future from Atop the Fourth Wall's 500th Episode. He swore vengeance on Linkara for never finishing their review of Dead Silence, which he claims was the catalyst of his retirement, and decided to Take Over the World by creating Brother Eye.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Often starts a video by voicing an opinion unpopular on TGWTG in an attempt to get his content barred.
- Britain is Only London: Averted; Welshy is Welsh.
- The Cameo:
- The Cinema Snob does one in Welshy's review of Red Eye.
- In his Casino Royale (2006) review, Elisa appears as the Maven of the Eventide.
- Welshy pretends to be the guy who rules over Channel Awesome in Diamanda Hagan's review of The Dragon Lives Again.
- He later returns in the 500th Episode of Atop the Fourth Wall as the source of the Bad Future.
- Companion Cube: His toy monkey, a bottle of Jack Daniels, and his picture of Anne Hathaway.
- He does one with Sad Panda, MikeJ, Masako X and Film Brain in Forget About It: Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- And another one with Film Brain on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.
- A review of Bloody Mallory with Sad Panda, Phelous, ChaosD1, Obscurus Lupa, Film Brain, Andrew Dickman, and Critical Marine.
- Did a crossover outside TGWTG with Mr TARDIS Reviews on the Doctor Who episode "Boom Town" (with Sad Panda appearing in a cameo).
- Did yet another one with Film Brain on Texas Chainsaw 3D
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: He's Welsh. Shock! Also the titles of his segments.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Happens quite alot in his videos, most notably one of Phelous, when Welshy describes a voice in his head told him to go through reviewing "Killjoy 2".
- I Need a Freaking Drink: He uses every imaginable opportunity to drink booze.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Discussed. Welshy argues that trying to explain a monster's behavior (as with Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)) makes them less scary because it humanizes them; a truly "horrific" monster is one that can't be reasoned with.
- Motor Mouth: to the point where he is occasionally mistaken for Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee.
- Of Corsets Sexy: He lost a bet with Elisa Hansen and had to wear a corset to Magfest. Opinions on how sexy this◊ is will vary.
- Promoted Fan Boy: He once had a YouTube account under the name of NostalgiaAVGNfan where he collected AVGN and NC reviews. Channel Awesome then asked him to do title sequences for several of their shows, and eventually gave him his own spot as a producer.
- Running Gag:
THAT'S ME! THAT'S ME! THAT'S ME!
- At first, a fake gag order that prevented him from saying Busy Street. Later on, it evolved into mocking the blog's founder.
- Making a topical joke and then having a picture of whatever he joked about flash up with "Topical Joke of the Day" superimposed over it while a digitally pitched-up voice says "TOPICAL!"
- Joyfully shouting "BILLY!" whenever the puppet in question shows up during his Saw retrospective.
- He did try to not use it in the 6th part of it (citing this page as a reason why not), but gave in and let a newer version of the gag happen with a flashing pixel icon of him going from normal Welshy to himself when he dressed up as Billy.
- That flashing icon featured art from pixel artist James Carlson, who happened to have also done the art in the Cold Opening of Blockbuster Buster's The Smurfs review.
- Shared Universe: Since he was part of Channel Awesome, Welshy was part of the Reviewaverse. And of course the crossovers and cameos helped.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Reacted just the same to Cillian Murphy's eyes as he did to Rachel McAdams's smile. Then resorted to his Anne Hathaway picture to reassure himself.
- The Stinger: Also happens a lot at the end of his videos, always a quick spoof of the Bad Robot Vanity Plate of a random shape running by and appearing in full view, showing what it is with a high pitch voice saying what it is before a sound clip of that random thing plays. What the shape is either has something to do with the review, something to do with Channel Awesome or just something completely random.
- Take That, Audience!: Two in one during his farewell video, although much less fans are losers like the usual trope and more that TGWTG fandom is afraid of change, both in how they demanded Doug give up on anything else than Critic, and wanting to keep things the way they are because the site attracts people with Nostalgia Filter.
- Went on a four hour long twitter fight with various members of the Busy Street site, leading him to be blocked by its members. When Busy Street's founder tried and failed to write an article on the TGWTG Wiki, Welshy wrote an Wiki article heavily mocking the guy.
- Humbling Diamanda Hagan by pretending to be the overlord of thatguywiththeglasses.com, making her say humiliating things and straight up insulting her. Just for a laugh.
- Takes many potshots at a TGWTG user who attacked Welshy for a line in his Scream 4 (he thought Welshy was attacking the Star Wars Prequels, when Welshy was merely comparing his excitement of Scream 4 coming out to when The Phantom Menace was coming out), to the extent of showing an embarassing video (with a Censor Box over his eyes) of him saying "I had sex with my cat". These may become Dude, Not Funny! depending on your opinion of the user and his actions.