Sickness is a dark action/adventure visual novel released on January 20, 2016 by Unwonted Studios.
Suoh and Sara are orphans left to fend for themselves after their parents' sudden and tragic death in a car crash. Moving to a new city, Suoh quits school and begins working long hours just to care for his sister. Alas, Suoh and Sara are still barely getting by.
All of that would soon change.
After a fight with his boss accidentally turns deadly, an impressed coworker of Suoh's secretly informs him of a world of illicit, sometimes violent action he can get in and make some decent cash.
Suoh's new life of crime, and all the troubles that go along with such a life, begins from there.
Available for purchase on Steam.
Provides examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: A reader may begin to realize this upon the death of Sara, if she indeed dies in your route. If Suoh gets killed, you'll definitely realize this.
- Attempted Rape: Suoh encounters two guys who get their kicks out of harassing and planning to rape girls (including his sister). After springing into action and grabbing/gagging one girl, Suoh, who had been secretly following them the whole time, kills one of them and puts the other in critical condition.
- Suoh and Misa kill a man named Simon after he drugs and is about to rape a middle school girl.
- Berserk Button: Karasu seems to have one for people talking badly about Suoh. She kills one guy, and almost kills another for it.
- Big Eater: Misa devours a bunch of meat while on a picnic with Suoh (leaving him to his dismay with mostly vegetables) and ends up making herself sick.
- Brother–Sister Incest: You can pervertedly tease your sister a few times throughout the novel, and there are some hints at her affection being a wee bit more than sibling-like at times. One route allows your relationship to go a bit further.
- Cute Mute: Misa is this in certain more light-hearted scenes...until you remember the body count associated with her name.
- Don't Explain the Joke: In the middle of an innuendo-laden dialogue about fighting:Markus: There's no need to be shy. I brought some fresh meat, and now you want to beat it.
Markus: ...Heh. Get it? I called him meat, and implied that you want to beat his—
Andrei: Okay, that's enough of you.
- Eye Scream: Suoh stabs Lucia's father right in the eye, driving the knife into the back of his skull through the socket.
- Fanservice: Sara in her underwear is thrown into the end of a serious scene seemingly for this purpose.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: A Thai couple start arguing in their native tongue in front of Suoh and Markus at one point.
- For Science!: It's mentioned that in the past Adder Technologies released a supposed "universal vaccine", only to pull it after making a large sum of money claiming it was "a medical trial" that didn't actually work as promised (more than likely an experiment on the placebo effect).
- Gag Censor: Misa's head is blocking the reader from seeing a rectal exam at one point. Suoh is covering her eyes, and a "?" speech bubble is above her.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Used on multiple occasions, though the text does not hold back from describing the brutality.
- Hearing Voices: This happens to Suoh on occasion as part of his "Sickness", either providing him logic or persuading him to kill.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Vincent and Violet get upset upon first meeting Suoh because of his name.Vincent: Sai, this is no fair! How come the new guy gets a codename and I don't!? You're with me on this, aren't you, Violet?
Suoh: Uh...Suoh is actually—
Violet: Like I care. You don't use your real name while working anyway, do you? I sure don't.
Suoh: Look, Suoh is my real—
Vincent: That's not the point! Sai gets a cool codename, Karasu gets a cool codename, and now we have a newbie being called "dragon"! It isn't fair!
- Juggling Dangerously: Misa is more than happy to juggle a sword on her nose for amusement, which frightens Suoh.
- Nature Lover: Misa definitely seems her happiest when Suoh takes her into nature settings.
- Oh, Crap!: Said aloud by Suoh right before he almost passes out after his first day of training.
- Only in It for the Money: This is how Suoh justifies some of his criminal activity, at least towards the beginning.
- Passing the Torch: Suoh was supposed to only temporarily take over for Markus...that was, until Markus got fatally shot.
- Pistol-Whipping: Markus does this to the Li's daughter in order to get them to give him the real goods.
- Precision F-Strike: Upon Sara pulling a knife out on Violet, who is trying to seduce Suoh into leaving the organization:Violet: You fucking bitch! You weren't supposed to be here!
- Shipper on Deck: Karasu will not stop bringing up wanting Suoh and Misa to hook up, much to the dismay of her father.
- Shower of Awkward: Sara walks in on Suoh in the shower and gets a good glimpse at everything. She freaks, while Suoh isn't fazed as all.
- Sleepyhead: Misa. She's caught sleeping on multiple occasions in the middle of important meetings, and when she is woken up she only lasts a few seconds before falling asleep again.
- Take That!: If you choose to go see Schoolyard Adoration with Misa, Suoh will explain to her that real high school is actually not like the movie at all, specifically mentioning a scene of random singing in the movie.
- They Died Because of You: If Sara is killed in your route, Suoh's Sickness will make sure to remind him that it was him that left her all alone while he was out trying to have fun with Misa.
- Twerp Sweating: Sai is constantly reminding Suoh not to do anything pervy with Misa, even though he's made it clear he's not the kind of guy.
- Twisting the Words: As a reporter talks to Lucia about Suoh, she tries her absolute best to make the killer a bad guy while Lucia claims he's not so:Reporter: Aren't you scared he'll come back for you?
Lucia: Not at all! I mean, he did tell me not to talk to the police, but he'd never threaten me.
Reporter: That sounds like a threat to me. Are you sure you didn't get a good look at his face?
Lucia: It wasn't a threat! I should've known you wouldn't understand. He told me you people would try to turn this into a witch-hunt.
Reporter: You people? Do you mean reporters, or law-biding citizens?
Lucia: Th-That's not what I meant!
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Markus tells Suoh how stupid his name is at one point. His inner monologue tells us that his father apparently wanted him and Sara to have 'twin names'. Suoh was the only one his mother approved of.
- Wife-Basher Basher: This is why Suoh is so happy to learn about one of his targets, Tony Roth, a wife-beater who's dodged the law several times. He and Misa kill him with pleasure.
- Would Hurt a Child: Markus kills the entire Li family upon finding their cocaine is fake, including their daughter.