"Once upon a time, I met a prince... the Prince of Nigeria. Throughout his lovely poetry and wonderful serenades of emails, I couldn't help but fall in love with him. Too bad falling in love with a prince isn't all flowers and bunnies as fairytales claimed—we were playing a dangerous game of passion, wildfire and strife..."
Horai Owen is perhaps not the brightest girl, nor has she had the best luck with relationships. Fortunately, she and her ex-boyfriend Zak are still on good terms, thanks in part to the fact that Zak is actually her laptop. But Horai is about to enter a new relationship with a mysterious and charming prince who has contacted her by email. But being in love with a prince isn't easy, especially when money and politics get involved...
RE: Prince of Nigeria is a Ren'Py-based Comedy Visual Novel by Soyasushi Productions about a girl who falls for a 419 Scam, released on February 24, 2013.
The complete game can be downloaded here.
This visual novel provides examples of:
- Amicable Exes: Horai still gets along with her ex-boyfriend... uh... Zak.
- Bland-Name Product: Gmail and Ymail become Hmail and Zmail respectively. Also Zak is a Hamsung brand laptop. Cracked.com becomes Macked.com, and Light Yagami becomes Right Imagay.
- Content Warnings: The novel opens with a warning that it requires that you have prior knowledge of Nigerian scams to some extent and that it's only for those aged 0 and above, as it contains instances of deliberately horrible grammar and spelling, as well as capslock spam. "LIKE THIS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."
- Earn Your Bad Ending: The novel gives the player three chances to give in and give all account numbers to Prince Apara before proceeding with the bad ending.
- Expy: Rich Hastley of Rick Astley, in the epilogue.
- Genre Savvy: The real Horai Owen, who knows all about 419 scams and scambaiting and who turns Rich Hastley's scambot into entertainment for the readers of Macked.com
- Multiple Endings: Has a good ending and a bad ending. However, the epilogue suggests that the good ending is "canon" as the bit about Horai watching $5,000 being withdrawn from her bank account is shown as the ending of her article.
- Self-Deprecation: In the game, Soyasushi Productions appears as an ad on the right hand side and Horai said it might be an ad for gay porn or sushi recipes.
- Shout-Out: One of Horai's articles, "How to Prolong Your Life Against a Goddamn Psycho Girl" features a thumbnail image that looks like Sho Reilen.