Liar Liar follows the story of Yukari, an adorable middle schooler with green hair. She asks the player to assist in killing her boyfriend. Along the way, she may find love, or she might die horrifically.
The first game's description and download can be found here; the sequel is here. Tokimekiwaku ended up making a Gaiden Game featuring Pants On Fire's Wakabayashi based off an old April Fools' Day joke, which can be downloaded here. A remake of Pants on Fire is also in the works, with the demo released in March 2017.
Please do not confuse it with the Jim Carrey movie.
This game provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: Tanaka might count, as he'll save Yukari's boyfriend if you kill Miho (thus preventing her from saving Yukari from Tanaka saving Yukari's boyfriend.... it gets complicated.)
- Adults Are Useless: Miho was being stalked by Wakabayashi for a while. He sent her letters daily, called her house, and took pictures of her behind her back and left some on her desk. She feared for her life but the police couldn't do anything until he physically harassed her and the adults at school didn't believe her. She decided to kill him, though she couldn't get herself to do it so she got Yukari to do it instead.
- A Love to Dismember: Apparently, Yukari keeps her victims' (or at least her favorite victims') heads in jars in her personal collection. Also, Tohru to Tanaka.
- Amicable Exes: It isn't mentioned in-game, but Word of God says that Yukari and Tanaka used to date, but broke up on good terms. This still doesn't mean Yukari won't try to kill him for getting in her way though.
- Art-Style Dissonance: Even when horrifically gory violence occurs, the art is cute and usually is in bright pastel colors. The main character is pure Sugar Bowl cute, even when covered in blood!
- Author Appeal: This game carries all the staples of Tokimekiwaku's art: deceptively cute characters with sinister personalities, lots of pastel colors, and plenty of gore.
- Ax-Crazy: Everybody except Tanaka, Yukari's unnamed boyfriend, and possibly her childhood friend Nao.
- Bad End: Boy howdy, are some of them bad. The second game is even worse, as the difference between bad and good ends is fairly ambiguous, and there are more story branches than the first. You can even get one on the first choice - if you refuse to help Yukari, she'll kill you.
- Buried Alive: Tanaka, the poor guy. See Chew Toy.
- Chew Toy: Tanaka, to ridiculous lengths. He survives being stabbed, dumped into a bathroom stall, stabbed AGAIN a few hours later, buried alive, and some further damage in the second game, depending on route. At this point, it wouldn't be surprising if he shows up for a third game.
- Compound Title: With its sequel, Pants on Fire, making, the phrase, "Liar Liar, Pants on Fire".
- Crapsaccharine World: This cute pastel world is a Dysfunction Junction of Stepford Smilers, jerkass middle schoolers, abuse, murder, and general apathy, where the only good people are either picked on or dead.
- Death of a Child: Kids are killed and they kill others, plus Yukari has been killing for years.
- "Double, Double" Title: Liar Liar.
- Gaiden Game: Blood Idol Wakabayashi, which mostly centers on Wakabayashi trying to become an idol.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Zigzags. Makes sense, as it's a VN, so going in-depth with the various murder/torture scenes is both difficult and potentially disillusioning. There's a few bloody scenes, but for the most part, the violence isn't visible. The descriptions tend to be discreet but illustrative as well.
- Killer Rabbit: Yukari, Miho, and Yukari's sister. Other characters may count, depending on your definition of cute. See the Ax-Crazy description.
- Living Lie Detector: Tanaka, apparently, which is why Yukari has to bump him off first. Or at least try.
- Multiple Route Mystery: Somewhat applies to the second game since the player can only discover that Tohru is a Yandere by playing his bad end, and the reader can only know the reason why Akira is a Yandere by playing one of his endings.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Yukari's eyebrows are heart-shaped.
- Villain Protagonist: The game is about a girl murdering people after all.
- Yandere: Tohru towards Tanaka.