(As of 2014, there's another game of the same name - but this one is nothing to do with Cavanagh's work and is based on Monteverdi's opera of the myth.)
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Much like his portrayal in Disney's Hercules, Hades is portrayed as a villainous character and the final boss the player must beat in order to rescue his lover.
- All Just a Dream: It turns out that Orpheus is simply imagining the events of the game; he is still mourning at Eurydice's grave.
- Big Bad: Hades.
- Convection Schmonvection: A few screens have the protagonist jumping from pillar to pillar over a lake of lava.
- Cruel Twist Ending: When the protagonist and his lover return, they encounter himself still mourning next to the grave, and both the spirit and the character fade away, revealing the whole adventure took place inside the man's head and he must face the cruel reality of having lost a loved one.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Any time you lose, you simply go back to the start of the same screen.
- Don't Look Back: After picking up Eurydice, facing to the right for any reason will cause Orpheus to look at Eurydice, who then evaporates with an inrushing-breath sound (forcing you to restart the screen).
- Grave Clouds: The game starts in the dark in the rain, by the grave.
- Lethal Lava Land: You spend several screens passing through one of these; it even includes bouncing lava balls to dodge.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: The player character dies upon being hit by anything.
- Orphean Rescue: Inspired by the original, although this Orpheus uses platforming and a gun instead of music.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: One of the many enemies you encounter on your journey are giant snakes.
- Reset Button Ending: The game's ending, in which you find yourself still mourning next to Eurydice's grave, lets you play the whole thing from the start once more.
- Silence Is Golden: The only text (much less dialogue) is the instructions telling you how to control your character.
- Stalactite Spite: In the caves.
- Temporary Platform: Part of the journey downward includes traversing collapsing platforms over lava.