The main character is Nick, a television Tokusatsu action hero whose popularity is waning. To renew his vigor, he goes to the magical Minmin Island where wishes are granted. There he finds a host of obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters, most of them down on their luck and seeking to have their wishes granted as well. Nick transforms into Captain Rainbow and uses his Yo-Yo and stylish action moves to solve puzzles and help out the islanders.
One might find interesting the fact that after a few years a game about an isolated land of obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters, a new Disney game with similar themes was released.
After years of hiatus, a fan translation site Kirameki has now begun developing an English and Italian fan translation patch for the game.
Provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Prior to to this game, Tracy, Ossan, and the Famicom soldiers were a minor NPC, an Expy of Mario, and generic infantry units respectively.
- Captain Superhero
- Cannot Talk to Women: Takamaru suffers from this sort of problem despite his normally calm composure. When in the presence of attractive women, he becomes so excited that he gets agitated and nervous around them, even breaking into a massive nosebleed when he tried to overcome this issue through meditation or using a dummy. The major part of his sidequest, and his wish, is to overcome this problem.
- Character Tics: Nick is constantly nodding whenever someone is talking, even if they're speaking to someone else. He also adjusts his glasses when surprised, and always answers with either a thumbs up or thumbs down
- Formerly Fit: Little Mac; one of the player's goals is to reverse this.
- Gag Boobs: Tracy
- Irony: Who would've thought that Lip, the fairy of flowers, would end up being allergic to them?
- Kansai Regional Accent: Very unexpected for her character and appearance, Hikari speaks this way.
- Kick the Dog: Devil has Nick attack Lip's pet Piranha Plant, and later he himself has Hikari make him a cake only to throw it back in her face.
- Killer Yoyo: The Captain's means of offense.
- Lucky Charms Title: Captain★Rainbow.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: In the vein of Super Smash Bros., except most of the characters are the kind that are too obscure to appear as anything more than a trophy.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Ossan uses a chemical to eliminate the weeds in the garden, but it pollutes a nearby lake and kills the fish in it as well. This prompts Mappo to arrest him.
- You know those stars that you've been using to grant people's wishes? They're actually the remains of dead Mimims. And every time someone leaves the island, the Mimims die without somebody to support them. And if that wasn't enough, the Shadow creatures gain more power each time to the point where they start destroying the island and anyone left on it.
- Not as You Know Them: Everyone's down on their luck, but Little Mac has really let himself go.
- Only Sane Man: Aside from her accent and appearance, Hikari's the most down to Earth person of the cast.
- Plot Allergy: Despite loving flowers, Lip is allergic to them and wears a mask to get around it. When shes loses it and winds up turning her house into a monster because of her allergies, she and Nick retrieve a cure from Tracy's house.
- Spiritual Successor: To Chibi-Robo! and Giftpia, Skip's other games.
- Stylistic Suck: Every location, item, and character has a very uneven design. This is especially noticeable with characters from previous Skip games such as Mappo from Giftpia and Drake Redcrest from Chibi-Robo!.
- Token Evil Teammate: Devil of course.