- In episode 1-B, Kanon, Kaede and Komachi wear the same outfits as the Kisugi sisters from Cat's Eye.
- The race in episode 5-A is evocative of Initial D, complete with drifting and CGI.
- In episode 7, after the prison explodes, the song "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith can be heard. The walk Kanon, Jill and Shouko do after getting out of the burning prison is reminiscent of Armageddon.
- In episode 16-B, a timer appears on the bottom right of the screen, referencing 24. Also, the music that plays when Ruby and her friends are being chased by a boulder is a spoof of Indiana Jones's theme.
- The Indiana Jones reference was re-used in episode 19.
- In episode 25, several Jewelpets cross the road while The Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" plays.
- Towards the end of the same episode, a montage of Garnet working her many jobs, attending a dance audition and being approved by the judges is a clear spoof of Flashdance; her dance is an almost perfect recreation of Jennifer Beals' during the title song.
- In episode 29-A, the way Shouko and Waniyama's fight is staged makes it seem like a Saint Seiya homage.
- European dubs pulled one with the title of episode 30-A: "All The Teacher Iruka's Men"note , a reference to All the President's Men.
- The M-Kage arc borrows very heavily from Batman, from M-Kage's costume to Nyangelina's role. The town it's set in is drawn in an obviously American comic book style.
- In episode 33-A, Kanon "burns out" like in Joe's iconic death scene from Ashita no Joe.
- Episode 34 is about the Plum class making a musical similar to West Side Story. Additionally, in one scene, Ruby and co. come out in French Revolution-style clothing, with Ruby looking like Oscar from The Rose of Versailles. Jasper also comes out of nowhere dressed more-or-less like Spider-Man and shooting web out of his paws.
- In episode 37, "Gonna Fly Now" plays when Ruby and Opal try to settle their dispute through boxing.
- The second half of episode 38 is a parody of this sketch from an 80's Japanese variety show called Oretachi Hyokin zoku.
- An in-series shout out occurs in episode 42 when Shouko's team, named "Sunshine", is next to a team named "Tinkle".
- Sapphie's rocket in episode 47 is number thirteen and breaks down in space. Sapphie's episodes also seem to have a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey references, particularly in the field of music.
- How both Garnet and Sapphie are defeated in episode 50 is nearly identical to how Kakyoin is killed in the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
- During Labra and Master's battle scene in episode 50, Labra performs an attack similar to Kenshiro's "Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken" from Fist of the North Star. The opening theme from the anime is played just to drive the reference home.
- The scenes in the mock preview of the final episode have references to Macross Frontier and Mobile Suit Gundam.
Shout Out / Jewelpet Sunshine