- This series has several shout outs to H. P. Lovecraft's works.
- The Yuggoth and Shaggai (Juggernaut in the American dub) programs are named after fictional planets in the Cthulhu Mythos.
- The Hypnos organization is named after a short story by Lovecraft.
- Yamaki's obsessive tendencies and resulting occasional flirtations with madness strongly resemble that of Herbert West, protagonist of Herbert West - Reanimator.
- A TV expert is chyroned as hailing from good old Miskatonic U.
- The horn chords that play whenever Hypnos is shown are nigh-identical to the ones from The Matrix.
- Justimon, the Mega form of Cyberdramon, is a fairly obvious shout-out to Kamen Rider and even has some of the Rider's abilitiesespecially Riderman's interchangeable arms. Word of God confirms this.
- Gallantmon's head is modeled after Mazinger Z's.
- And his previous form, WarGrowlmon, is clearly based on an Evangelion Unit from Neon Genesis Evangelion. His final form is an even more blatant reference to EVA Unit 01's winged form from End of Evangelion.
- In the American dub, Henry Wong's sister's name is Suzie. As in The World of Suzie Wong.
- Episode 26 in the American dub is titled "Kazu and Kenta's Excellent Adventure", most likely a nod to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure in which two wild and crazy guys also explore foreign lands. Party on, dudes!
- Divermon was deliberately voiced by Neil Kaplhan in the style of Bullwinkle the Moose.
Shout Out / Digimon Tamers