"U R about 2 WiTnEsS a real, live MURDER on television!"
World Peace is a sketch comedy series created by Million Dollar Extreme, which aired on [adult swim] in 2016. The show was embroiled in controversy for its entire run, including other Adult Swim content producers petitioning against the show (such as Brett Gelman and, allegedly, Tim Heidecker), as well as allegations from anonymous sources of "coded racial messages, including swastikas" being found in the original cut of the show by Adult Swim and removed. Amidst this, the show was cancelled after the completion of its first season.
World Peace contains examples of:
- Activist Fundamentalist Antics: The Toss It Project is a "social movement" protesting hurtful speech by littering in "playgrounds, schools, a river, any place".Sam: The premise is simple. Just take the most hurtful thing anyone's ever said to you, and write it down on a styrofoam cup. And just toss it.
- Aerith and Bob: The men on The Wall Show are Steve, Sam, and Tinky.
- After the End: The show is ostensibly set in an "almost present-day, post-apocalyptic nightmare world".
- The Alcoholic: Brittany.Host: Backstage you were t- I asked you if you were a drinking lass, there, miss. And you said, indeed you were a drinking lass. What was it exactly that you said to me, when I asked you?Brittany: I do like to drink, and when I drink, I like to drink profusely and then black out and wake up and ask what the fuck happened.
- Apathetic Teacher: Mr. Jones, whose blackboard says "SHUT UP AND LISTEN BUT IF YOU DONT WANT TO THATS COOL".Mr. Jones: It's bad when I'm not smarter than the students that I teach.
- ...And That Would Be Wrong: Charls doesn't condone violence.Charls: The problem with anger is that an angry population of people, when their government doesn't even provide them with clean water, or even, like, fix the street's potholes, y'know, when the taxes get like that... people with a lot of anger or testosterone usually flip cars over and sometimes even kill politicians. ...and I hate that shit. You can't have that.
- Biting-the-Hand Humour: Many of the title cards between sketches featured not-so-friendly jabs at Adult Swim, all of which were censored before broadcast.THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS PROGRAM 100% REFLECT THE VIEWS OF ADULT SWIM, TURNER BROADCASTING, AND TIME WARNER. IT'S MISANTHROPIC LECHEROUS BIGOTS ALL THE WAY UP THE CHAIN. WE COULD HAVE MADE A MORE SHOCKING SHOW JUST BY STICKING A MICROPHONE ON THE UNDERSIDE OF MIKE LAZZO'S DESK AND PLAYING BACK THE RECORDING. HE'S A PIG. PLEASE ENJOY WORLD PEACE.
- Bystander Syndrome: The wine party sketch features Nick tripping his brother's wife through a glass table and simultaneously smashing a bottle into her face, apparently out of a combination of disliking her and wanting to extort money out of his brother. While she struggles to stand, horrifically injured, nobody makes any effort to help her - even her husband seems more interested in proving his loyalty to her by berating Nick.Nick's Brother: When my field hockey wife asked me to marry her, I said yes, and I made a vow that day to stand behind her. So you don't go tripping her.Nick: You're gonna sit here and point fingers at me, and she's gonna crawl around on my $1900 rug, bleeding from her fucking eye sockets and trying to tell me that I shoved her through a god damn table. You're fucking crazy as she is.Nick's Brother: I think you're right.Nick: You owe me $2000.
- The Casanova: Parodied. Trex is apparently famous for this schtick, but his "help" for Robbie consists of terrible fashion sense and completely ineffective, profane pickup lines.Trex: Here's how you get that girl. You're gonna say, "You got about 10 seconds to show me that hole, 'cause this gorilla dick daddy's hungry, and if you don't blow me right, I might kill you."Robbie: Alright. Listen bitch. You got about 10 seconds, 'cause this gorilla dick's - gorilla daddy dick is hungry. And you don't blow me r- right, I might kill you. Hear me?Woman: Um, no thanks.
- Corpsing: Most commonly in the form of Sam's face breaking into a bizarre pointy smile right before a sketch ends.
- Couch Gag: The entire title sequence is different in every episode.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The Man Who Would Never Be... What They Made Him to Be.
- Dirty Cop: The Man Who Would Never Be is sentenced to 10 years and ends up serving 20.Officer: Tell you what, prisoner. You roll a 7, you walk tomorrow. Anything else, it's another dime.Prisoner: Can't win if you don't play, y'know? Snake eyes.Officer: You got a five and a one.
- Downer Ending: The Man Who Would Never Be, What They Made Him to Be ends with the Prisoner realising that he has wasted his life deluding himself into thinking that nothing bad was ever going to happen to him. Out of prison and ready to return to his old life, he finds his house destroyed. He walks away, screaming and thrashing around as the melancholy Hey Moon by John Maus plays in the background. Finally, he settles down into a bed labelled "TO GO TO BED FOREVER", apparently either resigning himself to his fate or killing himself.
- The Gambling Addict: Good Gambler, Bad Father.Gambler: I'm a bad father, but to me, being a good gambler was better than being a good father. Slots, that's a machine I understand. Roulette, that's something I can get my head around. Sending my kids to daycare, summer included, I'm sitting there, blackjack, these guys at the table are my family. Can't win if you don't play is what I tell my son.
- Government Drug Enforcement: How To Make Tap Water teaches you to replicate this in your own home.
- I Have Many Names: Sam in the Breakups sketch.Sam: This car right here, they call me the Silver Bullet. They call me all kinds of things. They call me Argon. They call - they call me Darkchild. They call me Nightmaster. They call me P-Body. They call me Peanut Arbuckle. They call me Doorway. They call me Pink Dress. They call me Squeezy. They call me Go-Go Nuts. They call me Pineapple Man.
- I Know Your True Name: Robbie gets three new names of increasing levels of secrecy.Trex: From now on, you will be known as Moon Man. But, your secret name, that will be only known only to me, and that only I will call you, is Teenis. And, your secret name, that neither myself nor Nitro Dubs will call you, will be... David Duke.
- Meaningful Look: Charls' eyes widen noticeably as he says "kill politicians".
- Meaningful Name: Vice Principal Donothing seems to be completely useless.
- Mood Dissonance: The original logo was one and infinity overlaid in a circle. This symbol was taken from the notebook of Aurora theatre shooter James Holmes, and represents his belief that he could increase his own "human capital" by killing others, and here it's frequently displayed dead centre of the words "World Peace". Every instance of this symbol in the show was covered up in post by Adult Swim, usually with an opaque peace sign.
- Platonic Prostitution: The last sketch in Your Vibe Attracts Your Tribe is about 3 women who hire male prostitutes to act out non-sexual fantasies, and then get arrested for it.
- Sarcastic Title: For a show called "World Peace", it sure is violent.
- School Bullying Is Harmless: School bullying is good, even.Roger Cheeto: So what you're saying is, bullies function as a sort of social watchdog.Principal Dono: Exactly. We found that bullies tend to sniff out the troubled, or stupid, student - make sure their sociopathic and bad behaviour gets nipped in the bud right away before it can become a problem. I mean, you've seen all these school shooters. Pathetic beta males, who have no girlfriend. Just imagine how many less there'd be if they had been bullied early, and often.
- Shoot the Messenger: One of Erick Hayden's many bad habits.Employee: Mr. Hayden? Sorry to bother you -Erick Hayden: Super busy. What?Employee: I- I'm sorry but Mr. Woznak called and he says he doesn't want to pay that $3 surcharge for the gasoline, so we're gonna be cutting back down to 30 yards, not 31.Erick Hayden: So, we gonna take this out of your cheque, or what do you wanna do?Employee: N- If we have to. I'm sorry.Erick Hayden: Good job.