Mermaid Man Begins
SpongeBob Patrick learn the secret origins of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
"Mermaid Man Begins" contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: According to the origin, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy share the first names of their actors, Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway.
- Bait-and-Switch: After everything that happened to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, it turns out that they got their powers from eating overcooked popcorn.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: While Barnacle Boy is fighting crime, Mermaid Man is on the phone, asking, "So what are you wearing?"
- Given Name Reveal: Mermaid Man's and Barnacle Boy's first names are revealed to be "Ernie" and "Tim", after their voice actors Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway.
- Hypocritical Humor:SpongeBob and Patrick: Squidward! Squidward! Let us in! We're missing the Mermaid Man marathon!Squidward: Go away! I've got better things to do than watch grown men prance around in ridiculous outfits. (Cut to a man dancing ballet on Squidward's TV)
- Mundane Made Awesome: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's true origin story (specifically, that they gained their powers from eating some overcooked popcorn)
- Series Continuity Error: Barnacle Boy's first name is revealed to be "Tim" here, despite his name being "Kyle" in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V.
- Superhero Origin: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's origin are revealed here.
Plankton's Good Eye
Using SpongeBob's second eye, Plankton grows a second eye that turns him nice.
"Plankton's Good Eye" contains examples of:
- Agony of the Feet: Plankton stabs his broken foot with his crutch to make himself cry since he needs tears to make a new eye for himself. It proves useless since he needs the tears of someone who already has two eyes.
- The Bus Came Back: Bubble Bass returns in this episode after not being seen since the Season 1 episode "F.U.N."
- Distressed Dude: Bubble Bass gets stuck in a burning building.
- Group Hug: SpongeBob decides to do this to Plankton with everyone he helped that day, which is big enough to get rid of his extra eye.
- Inkblot Test: Karen does this with Plankton to prove that he is losing his evil side. He sees a bat as a butterfly, a snake as a puppy, and an explosion as a bouquet of flowers.
- Literal Metaphor: Plankton gets SpongeBob to cry by spilling his milk. SpongeBob literally cries over spilled milk.
- Portmanteau: Due to Plankton's evil DNA being corrupted by SpongeBob's nice DNA, Karen declares that Plankton has gone from evil to... Neevil.
- Seeing Through Another's Eyes: Eye in this case, as the extra eye Plankton gains from SpongeBob makes him see the way SpongeBob sees the world—which explains a lot about SpongeBob.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Happens briefly to Plankton as a result of SpongeBob's cells that he gains from his new eye.
- You Do NOT Want to Know: After being eaten by Mr. Krabs, Plankton returns to the Chum Bucket "Approximately 10 hours later", and when Karen asks where he's been, Plankton says this.